Thais And Ther Gold

rio666uk

Hi Guys - can someone please explain the half baht, 1 baht, 2 baht etc thing that my wife and mama-in-law refer to...

I know its value related but....

:o ?

Here's a good link in German....http://www.baanthai.com/magazin/thaigold2.asp

1 Gold baht = 15.16 gramm. Thai Gold is not 100% pure, but 95-96.5% or 23 Karat.

Depends on the current gold price but basically 1 baht gold = around 7000bht, half a baht = 3500, 2 baht = 14000 etc etc.

Most rings only go up to half a baht so would cost around 3500 etc etc.

(if they want 10baht tell them to **** off) :o

Well behind the times.. Gold is nearly topping 9k per baht currently I understand..

Depends on the current gold price but basically 1 baht gold = around 7000bht, half a baht = 3500, 2 baht = 14000 etc etc.

(if they want 10baht tell them to **** off) :D

Well behind the times.. Gold is nearly topping 9k per baht currently I understand..

Have'nt bought any for a long long time, have'nt a clue what its worth. :o

(if they want 10baht tell them to **** off) :D

Have'nt bought any for a long long time, have'nt a clue what its worth. :o

Price of 1 Baht of 23 karat Gold

Current local time in Bangkok

Sep 19 2005 16:00:08

Buying price 8913 Thai Baht

Selling price 9013 Thai Baht

http://www.yabz.com/gold/

thanks Matt - fortunately according to our spend & save agreement - she has decided that she will put more aside into another account (actually a pringles tube under the bed :o for the gold that she intends to buy.... ive managed to get out of it - which has got to be a first :D

Price of 1 Baht of 23 karat Gold

Current local time in Bangkok

Sep 19 2005 16:00:08

Buying price 8913 Thai Baht

Selling price 9013 Thai Baht

http://www.yabz.com/gold/

Just an FYI, the price you would pay to purchase a one baht gold chain would be 9,013 THB plus an additional charge for workmanship (labor costs to fashion the chain). I think that, for a simple chain, this might be an addtional 300 ~ 500 THB? So you might pay 9,313 THB for a one baht chain today, and tomorrow, if you needed the money, you could sell it back for 8,913 THB (assuming the prices stayed the same tom'w).

The buying and selling prices are typically posted somewhere in the shop.

As my father and I are heavily invested in gold and mining investments he is always curius about local gold prices as well as customs and usage..

So he is out her and asks me what the gold price is.. I tell him one baht of gold is worth xxxx and he starts asking what a 'baht' of gold is.. So I just explain that a baht is a unit of weight and he looks at me and says..

What they have a measure of weight the same as thier currency ?? How stupid..

Er yes Dad.. What like pounds perhaps (hes from the UK) !!!

That shut the old bugger up :o !!!

I thought a Baht of gold was simply a measure of weight. Similar to going with coinage to a bank in the UK and they'll weigh it. The exact amount is then known.

Also, a bit of gold is useful if you're down on your luck and need to pawn it as a lot of Thais do. And it's a status symbol- wear your riches on your person.

Thanks for all your replies... i think ive found the answer to my original question from one of the links that i was sent.

"Thai gold is sold by the "Baht weight", which is 15.2 grams. So a "two Baht" chain would weigh 30.4 grams, just a little under one troy ounce (31.1 grams). The price for Thai gold is published in the newspaper by a governmental agency. Every gold shop in the country prominently displays and uses that price (a little over the world gold price) for selling 23K gold items that day."

But please, carry on..... starting a topic is sometimes like lighting the blue touch paper and standing back :o

Thanks for all your replies... i think ive found the answer to my original question from one of the links that i was sent.

"Thai gold is sold by the "Baht weight", which is 15.2 grams. So a "two Baht" chain would weigh 30.4 grams, just a little under one troy ounce (31.1 grams). The price for Thai gold is published in the newspaper by a governmental agency. Every gold shop in the country prominently displays and uses that price (a little over the world gold price) for selling 23K gold items that day."

But please, carry on..... starting a topic is sometimes like lighting the blue touch paper and standing back  :o

Topics do tend to get a life of their own, especially after the first couple of posts reveals the answer and nothing else to talk about. :D

But please, carry on..... starting a topic is sometimes like lighting the blue touch paper and standing back  :o

I'm glad you got the answer you AND I were looking for! I hope this thead is not dead, for I have more questions on Thai gold. I usually go through Dubai on my way to Thailand and it seems to me the quality and price is much better than in LOS. Anyone have a comment?

I'm glad you got the answer you AND I were looking for! I hope this thead is not dead, for I have more questions on Thai gold. I usually go through Dubai on my way to Thailand and it seems to me the quality and price is much better than in LOS. Anyone have a comment?

how can quality differ? I thought gold was gold, so 23ct should be the same. Or are you referring to workmanship?

I can imagine prices can vary though

Hi Guys - can someone please explain the half baht, 1 baht, 2 baht etc thing that my wife and mama-in-law refer to...

I know its value related but....

:D ?

most of these replies were off topic, the OP wanted to know what the Baht was, in gold terms

not how much a baht was worth, which is obvious :o

A baht weight of gold isn't really obvious.

So he is out her and asks me what the gold price is.. I tell him one baht of gold is worth xxxx and he starts asking what a 'baht' of gold is.. So I just explain that a baht is a unit of weight and he looks at me and says..

What they have a measure of weight the same as thier currency ??

I have always assumed that way back when, the value of one baht of gold and one baht (monetary) was equivalent. Keep in mind that once upon a time, one baht was a lot of money. Anybody know whether this is true?

Just my opinion but nobody should be considering selling Gold right now as it is on a big run upwards, mostly due the the weakness of the US dollar, oil price and the instability of the markets, Gold is a safe haven for banks and institutions, most experts believe Gold is going to head towards new highs over the next 2 years with some believeing it could double in price, here is some reading

http://www.usagold.com/DailyQuotes.html

Hmmm not sure - i had a week stop in Dubai before going to BKK - which was plenty enough time to browse the gold souq there - the price was better i think but as for quality i dont know.... i was more interested in the white gold and there didnt seem to be much difference...