Ed-Visa By Skype

A major language school offers ED-Visa and the schooling is done by way of Skype. (to accomodate students that live somewhat in the sticks and don't want to travel to BKK, Pattaya or Chiang Mai to attend class at least once a week).

Anyone doing it that way ? Is it working? Pls share your experiences as far as this is concerned.

Thanks & cheers.

Do you mind sharing the name of the language school? Thanks!

I live in Patts but hate to travel around here.

Name of school is " WALEN" (a sponsor of TV). So far, have not heard of anything negative about said school. PS: Walen has classroom facilities in Pattaya! Maybe just around the corner where you life, who knows.

Cheers.

Name of school is " WALEN" (a sponsor of TV). So far, have not heard of anything negative about said school. PS: Walen has classroom facilities in Pattaya! Maybe just around the corner where you life, who knows.

Cheers.

" WALEN" schooling is done by way of Skype ?? + 'ED' Visa to learn this way without going to the school ?

If this was so then many maybe would try this way..... Myself last week got taken into BKK, then did the trip home via BTS > Metro > 3x bus to the Village, it took 3 hrs and 48 mins..! just could not do this every week + that was just one way. To drive in to BKK in my own car about 2 hrs each way, but the cost at present day pump prices would cost 70k for the year going 1x week, so also out of the question.

Maybe in 2 years or so time when the new BTS line is working from Bang Yai, then would need to drive only to Bang Yai.

I know of at least 3 or 4 private Thai Language Schools in the Bangkok Metro area which are currently offering this type of "Distance Learning" dealy. It seems to be working quite well. They seem to get you the documentation to get the first ED visa issued, get you your extension paperwork, etc, without a hitch.

As I'm a curious person (meaning "nosy" ;) ); I observed one of those classes last week (sitting at an acquaintances apartment and watching him take a "lesson"); it's pretty much the exact same thing the school mentioned teaches in their classrooms.

I will say a BIG factor in taking lessons via the internet is "connection dependent". I noticed some time lag, frozen screens and a dropped connection during his lesson. (BTW: that was certainly NOT the fault of the school, but the student's iffy internet connection).

You've got your text books right in front of you. The picture and audio were clear; even on speaker versus headphones. I thought it was the exact same quality of class they teach at school, meaning I didn't see a down side to learning Thai this way (other than your internet connection).

I would imagine this type of "Distance Learning" will become more popular in the future for students. Especially ones who live up country and for ones who don't live close enough to a location to make it cost effective to travel back & forth every week.

Hope it helps,

Good Luck

Tod

I know of at least 3 or 4 private Thai Language Schools in the Bangkok Metro area which are currently offering this type of "Distance Learning" dealy. It seems to be working quite well. They seem to get you the documentation to get the first ED visa issued, get you your extension paperwork, etc, without a hitch.

As I'm a curious person (meaning "nosy" ;) ); I observed one of those classes last week (sitting at an acquaintances apartment and watching him take a "lesson"); it's pretty much the exact same thing the school mentioned teaches in their classrooms.

I will say a BIG factor in taking lessons via the internet is "connection dependent". I noticed some time lag, frozen screens and a dropped connection during his lesson. (BTW: that was certainly NOT the fault of the school, but the student's iffy internet connection).

You've got your text books right in front of you. The picture and audio were clear; even on speaker versus headphones. I thought it was the exact same quality of class they teach at school, meaning I didn't see a down side to learning Thai this way (other than your internet connection).

I would imagine this type of "Distance Learning" will become more popular in the future for students. Especially ones who live up country and for ones who don't live close enough to a location to make it cost effective to travel back & forth every week.

Hope it helps,

Good Luck

Tod

It could be valuable if you share the names of the other schools too.

If you've ever wanted to master another language, cram up on any subject, commit to self-growth or just pass those exams - with less effort!

"Sleep learning is a way to harness the power of your subconscious while you sleep, enabling you to learn foreign languages, pass exams,

undertake professional studies and implement self-growth by using techniques based on research conducted all over the world with great success."

Hey! Tony Robbins says it's so -- so who is anyone to doubt -- all you have to do is pay a registered Thai language school the 25K and guarantee that you will sleep at least 4 hours per week with your tapes running and you will ace any inquisitor at CW or the various IMM outposts.

more at sleeplearning.com

<SNIP> Hey! Tony Robbins says it's so -- so who is anyone to doubt <SNIP>

SORRY OFF TOPIC

Heck, if Tony Robbins says it; well by golly, I guess it's gotta be true! :P

After all, who could ever doubt the words 'o wisdom from the most well known, or at the least best promoted; "peak performance coach" (a term he prefers over "motivational speaker"). ..

I'm turning on my Thai Language c/d and taking a nap, right NOW! I’ll get back to you if I start speaking in tongues :o , err I mean in Thai. ;) ..

I often assist Thai students who are seeking graduate-level overseas study -- so when I hear of some of what goes on here to qualify for a 'Education' visa -- at least for the time being -- sleep learning doesn't seem any much more ridiculous.

Name of school is " WALEN" //

So far, have not heard of anything negative about said school.

Hi,

I did not have been a student there myself, but I remember a discussion between people of my condo not long ago, and one concern was that the sentences/vocabulary they learn in Walen are not the ones you need for everyday life.

One said that after 6 months at school he was still not able to indicate properly to a taxi where he wants to go, or ask a waitress to bring rice and meat in two separate plates...

I think I read a similar discussion on this forum last year, but can't find it again.

Anyone wants to learn to speak "Thai" by Skype, I'm up for that. Just PM me and let me know your needs and the time you are available to study. I will have you speaking everyday useful Thai conversation in no time. When you are comfortable with that, we can start on the more correct, technical side if needed. I am told that on the phone, people think I am a Thai. I can't be bothered teaching at schools any more, but Skype is a great idea and should be a lot faster way to learn, as it is literally one to one.

108,000 baht for 180 Skype hours and ED visa from Walen. Might suit some but a bit pricey for me.

http://www.thaiwalen.com/prices.php

I like the fact that they have different study schedules though. If the annual requirement for the ED visa is 180 hours, then I'd bet they'd get a few takers from outlying areas if they offered something like a full 4 day course every 2 months for the year.

108,000 baht for 180 Skype hours and ED visa from Walen. Might suit some but a bit pricey for me.

http://www.thaiwalen.com/prices.php

I like the fact that they have different study schedules though. If the annual requirement for the ED visa is 180 hours, then I'd bet they'd get a few takers from outlying areas if they offered something like a full 4 day course every 2 months for the year.

Not correct, just got a email from Walem School, the price is THB 24,960

The online class works like normal interactive real class room (just a bit more slowly).

Our teacher will lead students to speak after hers and she will correct their pronunciation.

The teacher and students will use the same material to follow up the lesson.

To learn Thai online with us, please install the following programs:

Skype [for audio] and Yahoo Messenger [for video].

Apologies for my mistake. I stand corrected. Previous communications led me to believe otherwise. Now I'm interested.

I have difficulty imagining half a dozen students all interacting in real time with the same teacher given the potential instability of internet connections of people out in the sticks, but I guess it's do-able.

If MacWalen is reading this, I'd be interested to hear how many students are currently on their Skype ED visa programme and whether they are offering classes at different levels? How many hours per week etc.....

Or if anyone else knows, that would be good to hear.

Apologies for my mistake. I stand corrected. Previous communications led me to believe otherwise. Now I'm interested.

I have difficulty imagining half a dozen students all interacting in real time with the same teacher given the potential instability of internet connections of people out in the sticks, but I guess it's do-able.

If MacWalen is reading this, I'd be interested to hear how many students are currently on their Skype ED visa programme and whether they are offering classes at different levels? How many hours per week etc.....

From the email send a while ago now..

The regular timetable for Thai group course that are available at the moment will be:

Every Monday and Wednesday [2 lessons a day, 2 days a week] from 10:00-11:50PM or

Every Wednesday and Friday [2 lessons a day, 2 days a week] from 15:00 - 16:50PM

Post #12 Just PM me and let me know your needs... Needs = Visa ... some way shape or form.

Good one, but we don't all have to study just to qualify for a visa. Some people just like to learn for the sake of it. I know I do. Can still remember your side of though, even if it was a long time ago for me. Wish I could help. Cheers and good luck.

Yeah, now I am interested too. I thaught, that it could only be done on a 1 to 1 basis (pricey).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT THE WHOLE THING UNDER A DIFFERENT ANGLE: Last time I visited Thailand (1 year ago), I met an old buddy (we used to work for the same company). He claimed that he is staying on an ED-Visa and the school doesen't even have a classroom, but is well connected to the "proper authorities" (!?) He was absolutely not interested in learning the Thai-Language. He classified the whole ED-Visa situation back then as "murky anyway". Unfortunately, I have lost his e-mail adress that I wrote down on a napkin and I have no other way to contact him to follow up on it.

But then, maybe someone else can comment on this "murky anyway" - factor.

Cheers.

Cheers.

" WALEN" schooling is done by way of Skype ?? + 'ED' Visa to learn this way without going to the school ?

If this was so then many maybe would try this way..... Myself last week got taken into BKK, then did the trip home via BTS > Metro > 3x bus to the Village, it took 3 hrs and 48 mins..! just could not do this every week + that was just one way. To drive in to BKK in my own car about 2 hrs each way, but the cost at present day pump prices would cost 70k for the year going 1x week, so also out of the question.

Maybe in 2 years or so time when the new BTS line is working from Bang Yai, then would need to drive only to Bang Yai.

that just sounds sad mate. have car but cant use it whats the point. you that skint sell the car.

Post #19 Some people just like to learn for the sake of it. I know I do... Sure... but they (not I) do not post / read / advertise about it in the VISA Section... I started learning written Chinese 40 years ago when it was then still considered a classical language with no practical purpose.

that just sounds sad mate. have car but cant use it whats the point. you that skint sell the car.

That was not really the point, just cannot justify spending so much, School Fee, Petrol, tyres, car service, would all add up to about 130k per year + the need to drive into the City every week.. At my age and my memory not sure what I would learn with just going 1x per week, go 2x per week we are talking about over 200k per year, that is why I have never been to a school...

So 'Skype' learning 2x week sound very good and under 27k a year + not having to drive into the City is the big +...

That was not really the point, just cannot justify spending so much, School Fee, Petrol, tyres, car service, would all add up to about 130k per year + the need to drive into the City every week.. At my age and my memory not sure what I would learn with just going 1x per week, go 2x per week we are talking about over 200k per year, that is why I have never been to a school...

o 'Skype' learning 2x week sound very good and under 27k a year + not having to drive into the City is the big +...

Does anyone go for a chines course with a school ? I have written several times to Whalen and prolanguage but they did not bother do answer any of my mails. Seems to be the Thai way of marketing :-) Hope the market opens up one day and they all get crushed by the inlinguas of this world...

o 'Skype' learning 2x week sound very good and under 27k a year + not having to drive into the City is the big +...

Does anyone go for a chines course with a school ? I have written several times to Whalen and prolanguage but they did not bother do answer any of my mails. Seems to be the Thai way of marketing :-) Hope the market opens up one day and they all get crushed by the inlinguas of this world...

Dear Sir, do you have a proof that Walen did not reply to your email? We have two full time staff replying to emails all day long so I don't like when you make blank statements like that. If possible please forward me the email you have sent to Walen, I will have a look at it. If that is indeed the case I will make sure it does not happen again. [email protected]

Regards, Walen School

Dear Sir, do you have a proof that Walen did not reply to your email? We have two full time staff replying to emails all day long so I don't like when you make blank statements like that. If possible please forward me the email you have sent to Walen, I will have a look at it. If that is indeed the case I will make sure it does not happen again. [email protected]

Regards, Walen School

My deep apologies to Whalen! I checked my email and the cuplprits were prolanguage and thailanguagecenter.org. Those were the two outfits that despite 5 mails, first on Oktobre last year, did not bother to answer any of them.

Whalen answered my last email within two business days, so very good service! However I am still looking for a chineses course in Patts or via Skype.

Again my deep apologies to Whalen! That should not have happended!

There are tons of language schools teaching Chinese, it's the big market right now.

1. Where are you based?

2. Do you speak Thai so this could be the instructor's langauge?

There are tons of language schools teaching Chinese, it's the big market right now.

1. Where are you based?

2. Do you speak Thai so this could be the instructor's langauge?

I am based in East Pattaya and do not speak any Thai. Anyway the only way to learn a language IMHO is being taught by a native.

Would prefer a school that is equipped with Skype.

Thanks!

Anyone wants to learn to speak "Thai" by Skype, I'm up for that. Just PM me and let me know your needs and the time you are available to study. I will have you speaking everyday useful Thai conversation in no time. When you are comfortable with that, we can start on the more correct, technical side if needed. I am told that on the phone, people think I am a Thai. I can't be bothered teaching at schools any more, but Skype is a great idea and should be a lot faster way to learn, as it is literally one to one.

I would love to be taught Thai this way (Skype) given that I use this for business purposes and could benefit greatly if I was to utilize my spare time in-between to learn Thai.

Please let me know how you want to proceed with this.

Tommyuk

Walen school is working perfectly.

My boyfriend, chinese, just finished his first year with them and going to begin the second, without going back to china.

2 hours every tuesday and thursday on Skype.

The teachers are good, and if u really want to learn to speak, you will learn quickly.

My boyfriend allready speak with a lot of thai people, but i must say he have work a lot, really.

About 2-3 by day every day since one year.

Regarding the Visa, its quite easy. You really get one first year visa and can extend it after a meting at the ministry of education.

During the year, have to go immigration office every 3 months for extension, no fee to pay (i am not sure, must ask him)

By the way, its much more cheap for him, than to goback china every 3 months and never be sure to get a fuc_king tourist visa.

Some question, no problem, ask me, i will answer u.