Increasing Oil And Petrol Prices In Thailand

midas

We are constantly reminded on news channels how petrol prices are straining

consumerism in USA and Europe. Are petrol prices in Thailand still subsidised by

the government ( and diesel ) ? Given the lower average salary in Thailand

surely at some point many families would need to use the SUV less and

fall back on the Honda Click more often ? :unsure:

Edited by midas

I don't think Thai's really care about fuel consumption. Though recently i do hear it in car advertisements. Does not use much fuel. A car is a status symbol here so i think they will use it anyway. Its still getting busier on the roads so i think it does not impact them much.

Petol (91 red) is 42.7 here in Korat at PTT on the bypass.

last time it got in the mid 40s the gov stepped in and slashed the price back below 30. Diesel is still a better bet but B5 went out the window a while back presumbly as costs were prohibitive.

It ain't cheep, but we are gonna keep driving, riding aren't we?

I don't think Thai's really care about fuel consumption. Though recently i do hear it in car advertisements. Does not use much fuel. A car is a status symbol here so i think they will use it anyway. Its still getting busier on the roads so i think it does not impact them much. :blink:

yes indeed .... :rolleyes:

" In the United Kigdom research from The AA shows that 59 per cent of motorists are reducing their speed on motorways to save fuel. And according to Bosdet, petrol and diesel sales are down 10 per cent over the last six months.

It’s clear that we’re getting to the stage where drivers are going to be priced out of using their cars,” said Adrian Tink, the RAC’s motoring strategist. "

"

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/265372/cost_of_fuel_in_the_uk_now.html#ixzz1HPdyvel9

Edited by midas

I don't think Thai's really care about fuel consumption. Though recently i do hear it in car advertisements. Does not use much fuel. A car is a status symbol here so i think they will use it anyway. Its still getting busier on the roads so i think it does not impact them much. :blink:

" In the United Kigdom research from The AA shows that 59 per cent of motorists are reducing their speed on motorways to save fuel. And according to Bosdet, petrol and diesel sales are down 10 per cent over the last six months.

It’s clear that we’re getting to the stage where drivers are going to be priced out of using their cars,” said Adrian Tink, the RAC’s motoring strategist. "

"

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/265372/cost_of_fuel_in_the_uk_now.html#ixzz1HPdyvel9

So you come up with figures from the UK to support your debate about something Thai. Strong case indeed. :blink:

I don't think Thai's really care about fuel consumption. Though recently i do hear it in car advertisements. Does not use much fuel. A car is a status symbol here so i think they will use it anyway. Its still getting busier on the roads so i think it does not impact them much.

Bingo! The sreets of Chiang Mai are often choked with traffic, so yes, fuel prices have increased but not to the point of thais restricting their driving.

"

So you come up with figures from the UK to support your debate about something Thai. Strong case indeed. :blink:

No I am just comparing the attitude to fuel price increases in UK( average salary of £26,000 per year ) compared to Thailand where the average salary is 12,000 baht per year. One would think that at some point if fuel prices surge the “ disposable “ income in Thailand would make them think more about fuel conservation regarding their style of driving. Yet so many of them in huge SUV`s race up to a red light and then come to a sudden halt. :unsure:

"

No I am just comparing the attitude to fuel price increases in UK( average salary of £26,000 per year ) compared to Thailand where the average salary is 12,000 baht per year. One would think that at some point if fuel prices surge the “ disposable “ income in Thailand would make them think more about fuel conservation regarding their style of driving. Yet so many of them in huge SUV`s race up to a red light and then come to a sudden halt. :unsure:

No logic there. It took me a while to explain my gf how she could save fuel. Now she gets it but it is hard when you have a "sporty" driving style. Some people enjoy driving like that.

Average incomes here in Greece are much lower than in UK, but where I live we are paying around 1.65 / l. for benzine and € 1.54 / l. for deisel. About 18 months ago, a litre of deisel was costing me about 80 cents. It's getting tough for everyone.

It costs a hundred baht or more to fill a bike from empty. mine was down to a quarter on the gauge and took 100b on the knocker to fill it yesterday. I've started using it instead of my 7 seater SUV because I can. and the wear and tear reduction from short trips make the bike the best option. That, combined with the maneuvererablity of a bike vs the car make it obviously the best choice for my city hopping and popping. Not least cos 99% of the time I'm alone.

Was shocked when I say red 91 at over 40bht though.

The average Thai doesn't own a car and it costs less than 100 Baht to fill a motocy so I'm told.

Then i guess there are no average Thai's in this village where i live. Almost all own a car. Even my MIL and sister of my wife own a car and they don't make much money.

Yes it cost under 100 bt to fill up a bike. I love it compared to filling up the car.

For factory workers above basic operator level (salary range 12,000 or more; don't forget OT and annual bonus) owning a car has considerable significance and people in this salary range will devote a large portion of their income to owning a car or pick-up.

The results of increasing oil price seem to be more converting to LPG and the reducing of journeys to an absolute minimum for the last 10 days of the month.