Buying A New Car - Are Airbags Really Necessary?

Airbags. I have 6 in my UK car All hidden away and I never want to see them.

Unless it's very old I don't think you will find a car in the uk with less than 2 and even 10 year old cars 4 is the benchmark

Personaly i dont think I could buy a car now if It did not have at least 2 front airbags.

The more the better. "Safety first"

It's not always your fault and they do help to reduce injuries

The Choice is yours

An air-bag steering wheel offers no protection from a side impact so your point is a wank no matter the vehicle's involved.

Errrrrr actually it does where head injuries are significant during a 'spin'. You really should research more on this before posting 'wank' comments.

Edited by Phatcharanan

I am not against airbags by any means. In fact every car I have ever owned had two.

It is simply the fact that in some particular models I can't get two that makes me think I should have none at all.

Does a car with 0 bags lose resale value? Does the average Thai care that bags are in the car?

It's all economics. How much are you willing to pay extra for additional safety. Air bags reduce the chance that an occupant's upper body or head will strike the vehicle's interior during a crash. They are not required by law unlike seat belts so some cheaper vehicles don't have them. Cars that do have them will have a lower resell value if the air bags were ever deployed.

An air-bag steering wheel offers no protection from a side impact so your point is a wank no matter the vehicle's involved.

Errrrrr actually it does where head injuries are significant during a 'spin'. You really should research more on this before posting 'wank' comments.

Errr there is nothing to trigger the steering wheel bag when a side impact has occurred, hows that bandwagon travelling you have jumped upon............................

i would rather pay for airbags , than pay 100000 .at bangkok general hospital for a knee or shoulder reconstruction .james hat yai :whistling:

My work provides complete accident coverage for myself and my family, so hospital bills are not a concern.

Even if I didn't have health insurance, doesn't car insurance have a section about being injured in a crash?

well using that logic....... why dont you remove the seat belts .and be done with it .:ph34r:

Errr there is nothing to trigger the steering wheel bag when a side impact has occurred, hows that bandwagon travelling you have jumped upon............................

any type of impact is going to push you into the steering wheel . james hat yai sydney B)

any type of impact is going to push you into the steering wheel . james hat yai sydney B)

Your saying potential bodily damage will be less when impacting an air bag wheel, if said wheel does not deploy the airbag from a side impact (which they don't) what actual benefits does it offer over a non air bag wheel ? Spoonman Thailand B)

Have you noticed in airbag rides you are instructed to sit as far away from the steering wheel :huh: as possible, this is a bit concerning as most females and small guys have the wheel virtually touching their torso. People have been killed by airbags.:unsure:

Have you noticed in airbag rides you are instructed to sit as far away from the steering wheel :huh: as possible, this is a bit concerning as most females and small guys have the wheel virtually touching their torso. People have been killed by airbags.:unsure:

And you dont think more have been killed without airbag :o

i would rather pay for airbags , than pay 100000 .at bangkok general hospital for a knee or shoulder reconstruction .james hat yai :whistling:

My work provides complete accident coverage for myself and my family, so hospital bills are not a concern.

Even if I didn't have health insurance, doesn't car insurance have a section about being injured in a crash?

Hospital bills might not be a concern but paying for airbags could save you the pain of countless insurance paid visits to the hospital for reconstructive facial surgery.

Yes for sure. Some people in this tread goes on about when your time is it's up, well airbags might just have delayed that, and I am not impressed when people say: I driven for 30+ years without them so why do I need them now. Well everything in this world tend to develop, car safety included so why bloody fight it.

When I bought a car here, 2 airbags was a must.

Yes for sure. Some people in this tread goes on about when your time is it's up, well airbags might just have delayed that, and I am not impressed when people say: I driven for 30+ years without them so why do I need them now. Well everything in this world tend to develop, car safety included so why bloody fight it.

Agreed, but some of us, me, really am not bothered about airbags in my rides. And yes, if my time is up it's up. If kids in the car, they are in the back, no airbags. If your in a fast prang nothing will save you, seat belts do a good job if you are wearing one. Life for me is about looking at risks, ride a bike, big risks, everything the individuals decision. :)

I still want my airbags. No they will not help you in a head on collision with a 10 wheeler at speed, but in other situations they will help. You also have to wear seat belt when flying in a say 747 during take-off and landings. Those 747's sometimes fall out of the sky and not the best seat belt in the world could save you.

I drive Harley D's motor cycles here also because I love to do so, and I don't really care how dangerous it is, I am willing to take the risk. If you don't do what you like because you are scared, what is the point of living.

So if you are in the market for a new car, get one with min 2 air bags.

It's a sad reflection on Thailand that people have to consider safety financially. Unlike ABS, defensive driving techniques can reduce the need for bags perhaps, but it's better to have them. Volvo were the first to have full safety across it's range which led the way, but car models sold in LOS lag way behind: the new Chevrolet Cruze is sold in the US with 10 standard airbags, for example.

It seems like people are either completely OK with a car with no bags, or completely against any car with less than two.

Since I am considering some cars that don't have an option for two airbags (Like the Toyota Avanza)

It seems like one is better than none....no?

It seems like people are either completely OK with a car with no bags, or completely against any car with less than two.

Since I am considering some cars that don't have an option for two airbags (Like the Toyota Avanza)

Sure, one must be better none, just get your passenger to wear a full face helmut, although I say this in jest, it is probably a very sensible (if not uncomfortable and hot ) thing to do, of course no one would ever do it, unless there actually racing.

I don't know if it is more dangerous for the driver in a frontal accident, as the steering wheel is closer to them, than the dash is to the passenger. Either way, one must be better than none.

sorry to let you know airbags can not save anyone in an Avanza

It is a very old design, and will cause major damage to occupants in an accident, airbags or not

Suggest consider a modern car, with proper deformation zones and a strong passenger cage. Airbags or not, it is much safer

It's a sad reflection on Thailand that people have to consider safety financially. Unlike ABS, defensive driving techniques can reduce the need for bags perhaps, but it's better to have them. Volvo were the first to have full safety across it's range which led the way, but car models sold in LOS lag way behind: the new Chevrolet Cruze is sold in the US with 10 standard airbags, for example.

Volvo where late with airbags. Others held the expensive patents

Whatever you guys have done and do now i still think airbag can save your life,,,if its in the car, maybe you dont care but if you have a family maybe it will save them who knows, and for "bikes dont have airbags" he he what a comment.

and the one, my cars have not had airbags, thats OK if it dont have it you cant use it but for buying a car and say i dont want airbags, well, i would not do it, it could end up save a life, some places in Europe you cant even buy a car without airbags.

but hey keep them comming i can take it :) (i better not say how many airbags my car has)i will leave it to your old school guys who dont need airbags or anything that might save a life :)

Motorcycles don't have doors either does that mean cars shouldn't :rolleyes:? Silly statement once again from the mindless masses.

To those who claim no such thing as motorcycle airbags, here's a shock for you..

Motorcycle vest

Models1.jpg

And how about this:

Honda air bags

bnrL_top.jpg

Edited by WarpSpeed

Far more have been killed by trees and other cars hitting them or vice versa, silly perspective on your part..

If your in a fast prang nothing will save you, seat belts do a good job if you are wearing one. Life for me is about looking at risks, ride a bike, big risks, everything the individuals decision. :)

Tell that to this guy :rolleyes: ..

ressjoneshead1DPR_468x602.jpg

The best combination is both not either or, they are designed to enhance each other and work together and most of those deaths referred to are from people NOT using them together or being too small and too close which is why many now come with disabling switches..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The OP says are airbags necessary? The answer is no, neither are seat belts but those with good common sense would say yes they'd be a good safety feature to have whenever possible the rest is irrelevant as it's just personal opinion just like when seat belts were implemented as requirements and people of the same ilk said how useless, dangerous and unnecessary they were.. Fact is they DO save lives just as helmets and seat belts also do... End of..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Shot down ?

Forgive me but by who ?

It wasn't your quote about the bikes, I stand corrected and man enough to say so...Actually a glory hole would be a nice feature but probably cause more accidents :whistling: .. though at least you'd die happy :lol: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed