The Straight Man Purachai Returns To Thai Politics

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

The straight man returns to politics

By Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

Former interior minister Purachai Piumsomboon has returned to the media spotlight following reports he has agreed to become leader of a new political party called Pracha Santi.

Although he has been absent from politics since leaving the Thai Rak Thai Party in 2005, Purachai has often been cited as a preferred candidate to become prime minister. A recent public opinion poll by Assumption University showed that 41.2 per cent of respondents wanted him to contest for the premiership against Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Purachai, 60, co-founded Thai Rak Thai with Thaksin Shinawatra and others. He served as deputy prime minister, interior minister and later justice minister in Thaksin's governments. After the coup in 2006, Purachai was appointed to the National Legislative Assembly.

His role as interior minister made him remembered - he issued the "social order" policy of being strict with entertainment venues. He has the image of being as straight as a ruler, and many people believe in his honesty.

However, strictly adhering to the rules sometimes put him at odds with others - some as honest as he is but seeing things differently.

Purachai's former secretary, Noppadon Inna, said the country is in need of someone like his ex-boss - honest, fair and neutral. "People who are neutral will help reduce conflict in society. Purachai is a straightforward person and he has a good record of serving the country," he said.

"Once it was said that he was disliked by the whole party [Thai Rak Thai] and loved by the whole country."

Due to the positive response to his return to politics, Purachai and his party Pracha Santi, which means "peaceful people", have attracted the attention of not only the media but also the existing political parties, particularly the ruling Democrat Party.

In the upcoming general elections, Pracha Santi reportedly aims to focus on Bangkok, which is a major support base for the Democrats.

Pracha Santi has positioned itself as a neutral party, free from the ongoing colour-coded political conflict between the red shirts and the yellow shirts.

Former senator Seri Suwanpanont, who is a co-founder of the party, said Pracha Santi aims to "restore peace in the country and happiness for the people". He said the party would elect its executive board members at its general meeting on April 2.

The new party appears to offer itself as an alternative for voters who are fed up with the colour-coded conflict and politics dominated by the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties.

Among Pracha Santi's key party members is Panlert Baiyoke, former deputy secretary-general of Thai Rak Thai and a key financier of the opposition Pheu Thai Party. Others are retired senior police officers, such as ex-police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan, former assistant police chief Pichit Kuandachakupt and brothers Boonruang and Boonthueng Pholpanit. In addition to Seri, at least one other ex-senator has joined the party, Somkiat Soralam.

There have been reports that Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan may follow his younger brother Patcharawat to the new party, which have infuriated the defence minister. "I know nothing about that and I have nothing to do with the party," he said.

Although it has not been launched officially, Pracha Santi has attracted the attention of political observers for managing to pull Purachai out of his political seclusion and into the role of party leader.

Despite its label of neutrality, Pracha Santi includes people who were close to the Thai Rak Thai Party, which was dissolved by court order in 2007.

They include Panlert, Seri and even Purachai himself, who was a close friend of Thaksin.

A source said Pracha Santi is being seen as an ally to Pheu Thai. "It could win votes in Bangkok and reduce support for the Democrats in the capital.

Purachai's good image can be the party's selling point," the source said.

Political parties are selling the good images of their leaders and key figures.

However, image alone may not be enough to survive Thai politics, which is characterised by patronage, nepotism and corruption.

For Purachai, his great challenge as leader is to help the party's candidates win the upcoming general elections. It will be interesting to see how many seats the party wins.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-24

A peacefull political party serving all Thai people is definatelly needed in this country , but I feel it would only be a matter of time before the dark forces that plague this countrys political scene destroy them, (could be only time Yellows & Reds would work together?)

I've always thought Purachai should have stayed working at NIDA, he's too aloof for Thai politics. I can see his party taking some votes from the Democrats in the party list and perhaps a constituency or 2 in Bangkok,but nothing significant. And then his 'clean' party are going to team up with Newin and Banharn??

lol

He managed to earn the nickname "Puritan Purachai" for his ruthless efforts to singehandedly destroy Thailand's nightlife - and not just the naughty bits.

Isnt the defence secretary's brother joining this party? It is starting to look like the small swinger parties are starting to join hands and maybe they are looking for their own candidate for PM. Im sure the powers that be arent that impressed with Abhisit and they certainly dont want no Thaksin puppet up front so a united third party candidate may be an option with the Dems filling a few other ministries such as finance as he is probably the only politician who can do that job. Of course this scenario does run the risk that PTP and Dems do a deal, which oddly enough is what the PAD predict

Just what we need, a political leader telling us all when we can drink, where and how much, because he alone thinks it's best for the country.

Are you saying that being permitted to drink enough falling down juice so that you are a danger to yourself is good for the country? How does being legless at 0200 in the morning contribute to anything? How do noisy discos and bars make life pleasant for the more sober people who want to get a good night's sleep? Is over indulgence in anything a positive thing?

If you cast around I think that you will find that his mind set is shared by the hitherto silent many. I, and those in my social circle, would welcome the removal of the hooligan element from these shores. The path of destruction that they swathed through the Mediterranean holiday resorts tells it's own story. Perhaps he is ashamed of Thailand's perceived reputation and wants to do something about it? Just perhaps he realises that corruption and nepotism, and the fearsome reputation of RTP, is not in his country's interest? One does not have to be of superior intellect to realise that some of the electorate are not too enamoured by those self indulgent farang that use Thailand as a toilet.

Perhaps Mr. Clean, who legged it off to New Zealand where he owns property, might (forlorn hope?) permit we settled, supportive people to own land?

Edited by Bagwan

Just what we need, a political leader telling us all when we can drink, where and how much, because he alone thinks it's best for the country.

Are you saying that being permitted to drink enough falling down juice so that you are a danger to yourself is good for the country? How does being legless at 0200 in the morning contribute to anything? How do noisy discos and bars make life pleasant for the more sober people who want to get a good night's sleep? Is over indulgence in anything a positive thing?

If you cast around I think that you will find that his mind set is shared by the hitherto silent many. I, and those in my social circle, would welcome the removal of the hooligan element from these shores. The path of destruction that they swathed through the Mediterranean holiday resorts tells it's own story. Perhaps he is ashamed of Thailand's perceived reputation and wants to do something about it? Just perhaps he realises that corruption and nepotism, and the fearsome reputation of RTP, is not in his country's interest? One does not have to be of superior intellect to realise that some of the electorate are not too enamoured by those self indulgent farang that use Thailand as a toilet.

Perhaps Mr. Clean, who legged it off to New Zealand where he owns property, might (forlorn hope?) permit we settled, supportive people to own land?

Mr Bagwan, your hope is indeed a forlorn one, when he was Minister of the Interior, Purachai refused to sign any applications by foreigners for either residency or citizenship,(I think it was the former), in spite of the paperwork sitting on his desk for months. He is a right winger whose answers to the violence in the deep south was 'an eye for an eye,a tooth for a tooth'. Not impressive.

As for his clean image, he did nothing against Sanoh and Thaksin regarding the Alpine Golf course- one reason the statue of limitations ran out recently, to Sanoh and Thaksin's benefit.

Very selected 'righteousness'.

Edited by Siripon

A horrid, hypocritical racist. I hope he crashes and burns in his attempt to get back into politics independently of his buddy, Thaksin.

As Interior Minister he started the xenophobic drive against foreign residents getting PR which has culminated in no applications being accepted at all in 2010 and only 7 people approved since 2006, compared to 300-400 a year previously. He also knocked back many applicants for Thai citizenship and delayed many more for years for no apparent reason.

Meanwhile, he bought land and a house in New Zealand, had all his kids educated there and, rumour has it, obtained PR there too while he was out in the cold from Thai politics.

The thing was, he was popular amongst the Bangkok folks - even the younger generation who were cynical of Thaksin. I remember them scolding me for my complaining when the nightlife clampdown begun, saying "2am is late enough!". Even my Thai bar owner friend was supportive of him and his zoning campaign, as ultimately it should of ensured the zone he set his bar up in - RCA - would have a closing time later than the usual 2am (or the earlier 12am time he wanted non-zoned bars to shut at!).

As stated previously, it's rumored he became too popular thus causing Thaksin to sideline him in favour of the lovely Charlem. What time this guy wants to shut the bars this time around doesn't concern me much. What does concern me is his past closeness to Thaksin and the fact he won over many people who now bitterly oppose Thaksin more than ever. As Sirpon has pointed out, he clearly isn't that "clean" - just extremely conservative - and he may still well be a Thaksin proxy voted in by the very people who despise him.

As other posters mentioned, you can forget property ownership- those with condos would be lucky to keep them in their names. When IM he visited Hua Hin, took a look into the nite club at the Hilton, saw people dancing and asked to see the permit that allowed such crazy behavior to go on. Guess what - nothing about dancing on the permit, so no one could dance that weekend. That is what is in store if this guy should get elected. btw, i'm a non-dancer, but i do support the right of others to partake, no matter how lacivious (or silly) it may look.

Edited by Netfan

As other posters mentioned, you can forget property ownership- those with condos would be lucky to keep them in their names. When IM he visited Hua Hin, took a look into the nite club at the Hilton, saw people dancing and asked to see the permit that allowed such crazy behavior to go on. Guess what - nothing about dancing on the permit, so no one could dance that weekend. That is what is in store if this guy should get elected. btw, i'm a non-dancer, but i do support the right of others to partake, no matter how lascivious (or silly) it may look.

Here's a couple of intellectuals that Purachai would appeal to as they would strongly support him in his efforts to recognize that dancing is evil... and seek to have it removed from people's lives... for the betterment of all.

dancingisthedevil.jpg

As other posters mentioned, you can forget property ownership- those with condos would be lucky to keep them in their names. When IM he visited Hua Hin, took a look into the nite club at the Hilton, saw people dancing and asked to see the permit that allowed such crazy behavior to go on. Guess what - nothing about dancing on the permit, so no one could dance that weekend. That is what is in store if this guy should get elected. btw, i'm a non-dancer, but i do support the right of others to partake, no matter how lascivious (or silly) it may look.

Here's a couple of intellectuals that Purachai would appeal to as they would strongly support him in his efforts to recognize that dancing is evil... and seek to have it removed from people's lives... for the betterment of all.

dancingisthedevil.jpg

Dancing is evil - at least the way I did it. :D My favourite was the Quaker dance - twice round the floor and then outside for your oats. I won't explain the Turkey foxtrot.

A horrid, hypocritical racist. <snip>

As Interior Minister he started the xenophobic drive against foreign residents getting PR which has culminated in no applications being accepted at all in 2010 and only 7 people approved since 2006, compared to 300-400 a year previously. He also knocked back many applicants for Thai citizenship and delayed many more for years for no apparent reason.

One of the many reasons he was and remains so popular with many Thais.

A horrid, hypocritical racist. <snip>

One of the many reasons he was and remains so popular with many Thais.

:lol::D

and just how many Thais even know about the PR protocol and his inaction?

"many Thais"... :cheesy:

A horrid, hypocritical racist. I hope he crashes and burns in his attempt to get back into politics independently of his buddy, Thaksin.

Meanwhile, he bought land and a house in New Zealand, had all his kids educated there and, rumour has it, obtained PR there too while he was out in the cold from Thai politics.

Purachai is a most unpleasant individual whose reactionary social policy opportunism was used by PM Thaksin as a minister to shore up the conservative voting constituency as a good cover for Thaksin who was busy filling his pockets while attention was focussed on his ludicrous friend.