Realplayer Substitute For Ubuntu

HaydnJohnCardiff

vlc is the only media player you will ever need, for linux or windows. i have yet to find a format that it doesn't have a plugin for.

k

i should add you can also do file format conversions and rip streams with it as well. why have 3 different programs to do 3 different tasks, when you can have one that does it all!

Edited by dharmabm

To save streaming content (e.g., YouTube videos) to your computer, have a look at UnPlug or Video DownloadHelper. Both are great Firefox add-ons.

For general playback, I recommend SMPlayer, a GUI frontend for MPlayer. It can playback just about every format you throw at it, and is very good at handling HD content (720p/1080p) as well as subtitles.

Edited by Supernova

vlc is the only media player you will ever need, for linux or windows. i have yet to find a format that it doesn't have a plugin for.

k

i should add you can also do file format conversions and rip streams with it as well. why have 3 different programs to do 3 different tasks, when you can have one that does it all!

Agreed - just can't beat it for media playback.

Conversions are a little complicated and unreliable though.

I love VLC, but find myself setting most of the files I watch to associate with mplayer. While there is 'support' for VDPAU in VLC, it's not been stable for me yet; being able to use mplayer and still get other work done is rather nice...