Living Next To A Temple

haveaniceday

I am looking at living right next to a Temple, I have been told that when some one passes away, that monks chant for a week from dawn for many hours, thats ok, but many Temples broadcast it at full volume over loud speakers then play 'sad' music very loud for many hours. I have never noticed this in my travels, but I have never had to much to do with Temples to be honest.

I have also been told of horror stories that I find hard to believe of horrific smells when the body of the deceiced person is cremated, indicating that the furnace was not hot enough. Lingering smalls for an hour of burning human flesh.

Does anyone have any real life experience they can share here please.

How do Thais go with the ghost of these people they breath in living near a Temple?

Cheers all.

The chanting and music...wake/party does last about 5 days but is not at the temple,it is normally at the deceased family home.That is my real life experience of it anyway

"Does anyone have any real life experience they can share here please."

This made me chuckle :bah:

On a plus side you won't have far to go for a free scran or a laydown when you have been bin-bagged

:jap:

If the temple has it`s own crematorium the burning ashes will fall down on your home like rain and I speak from experience. Some years ago we lived in Bangkok and were 200 metres away from a temple and crematorium.

Each time there was a funeral and the burning of a body, depending on which way the wind was blowing, grey ashes would be carried onto our land and onto the house. I could even identify some skin pores on the ashes.

Couldn’t wait to sell the place and move, but we had to drop the price considerably because many potential buyers were superstitious and did not want to live so near a crematorium or as the girlfriend says; where they burn the people.

This was one of the first big mistakes I made when I first moved to Thailand and ended up losing a great deal of money on that property.

The funerals last between 3-7 days depending on how much ฿. Monks only chant for an hour or so, but I would be concerned with parking. They get pretty jammed up.

Couldn't tell you about ashes or burning flesh. I don't live near one.

Keep in mind. It's just not funerals. They get pretty fired up over everything. There akin to a community center.

I wouldn't live next to one. IMO.

I lived next to one in Sakon and the only time it got to noisy was when they had a village event "making

merit"? About once a month the tannoys would blare out all day ... okay if you like Thai music :whistling:

I have a house next to a temple in Buriram.

No problem! On the odd day that there is a cremation the prevailing wind blows ash away from the house. The actual ceremony isn't that long nor that loud.

The new monk ceremonies are something to enjoy, the parade and naturally the band on the bed of a truck playing Issan music, but again for an hour or so it could be loud. They don't happen that often, 3-4 times a year.

The village functions don't happen every day so again nothing that irritates me. Now there is a temple in another village that has a weekly market, now that would eventually wear thin, but at my temple we don't have this issue.

The only regular item that I have is the chanting at dusk and dawn. The dusk chanting, well I sit on my balcony with a beer, listen and enjoy the peace emminating from the temple. The morning chant, well with the AC on you don't even hear the chanting, never has woken me up.

That's my take from my temple in Issan, not all temples are the same, investigate on your own.

Our house is,literally, next to a te,ple. We manage to have a small moo farm,plus chickens.. A main monk once tried to persuade me not to build a piggery next to a temple, because a smell interferes with his meditation. To what i had politely replied, as he should not eat pork ,if he doesn't like how the pigs smell (btw., before it he said that he likes to eat pork and chickens).

In few months, the same monks asked my wife to give one pig on Songran Day,as a gift to the temple.

Nevertheless, it m ight be interesting some people,, folks in our village have seen women climbing out of the window of a main monk of the temple, on few occasion. What a holly pal.