A Hole In The Head?

Deeral

Diesel subs? hahaha. Against any real military those would be laying on the bottom of the ocean as artificial reefs in no time flat. Even against a half-assed military I imagine modern destroyers/spotter craft can outmaneuver diesel subs and drop enough depth charges/sub killing torps to sink that investment real fast. I bet the general in charge of these latest appropriations will make a speech proclaiming Thailand's military superiority (with second handed tech) and go back to his corruption money purchased mansion somewhere.

The Swedish planes were already a big useless money sink but these subs are something else..

Wintermute go to the corner and put on your dunce cap.

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Ecuador, Greece. Indonesia, Sough Korea, Peru, South Africa, Turkey, Venezuela and Israel use the same type of German sub that Thailand is going to buy. Canada and the UK use Victoria class Diesel electric submarines among others.

Australia is building 12 new diesel electric submarines.

Yea, anyone with a brain knows diesels are the only way to go. The Thais were going for used nuclear subs but were afraid of possible meltdowns after earthquakes.

Cost of nuke sub, 390,000,000,000 baht

Diesel subs? hahaha. Against any real military those would be laying on the bottom of the ocean as artificial reefs in no time flat. Even against a half-assed military I imagine modern destroyers/spotter craft can outmaneuver diesel subs and drop enough depth charges/sub killing torps to sink that investment real fast. I bet the general in charge of these latest appropriations will make a speech proclaiming Thailand's military superiority (with second handed tech) and go back to his corruption money purchased mansion somewhere.

The Swedish planes were already a big useless money sink but these subs are something else..

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Ecuador, Greece. Indonesia, Sough Korea, Peru, South Africa, Turkey, Venezuela and Israel use the same type of German sub that Thailand is going to buy. Canada and the UK use Victoria class Diesel electric submarines among others.

Yea, anyone with a brain knows diesels are the only way to go. The Thais were going for used nuclear subs but were afraid of possible meltdowns after earthquakes.

Cost of nuke sub, 390,000,000,000 baht

Captain's expression, while at 1000 feetin the Andaman Sea, upon receiving notice of Tsunami.

Priceless.

Diesel subs alone are highly vulnerable unless they are in combined battle groups. Thailand has a few pissant leaky destroyers and some fancy planes they bought off the swedes but they don't have the proper logistical support in a real conflict. Right now all those subs are good for is decorating it with twinkly christmas lights and floating them around as party boats with dancing katoeys.

Many of the nations you mentioned are part of larger strategic alliances. Greece, Turkey, Canada, and the U.K. are NATO members..the U.K has its own carrier battle groups as well. Diesel subs are just a strategic component. S. Korea's defense depends highly on U.S. contingency plans, the subs are support but they have lots of logistical support and a highly competent fleet.

Those S. American countries are a terrible comparison because they are just as half-assed as Thailand is with the exception of Brazil.

Thailand's military is a mish mash that's neither heads nor tails. They have no strong strategic allies, they have alienated all their ASEAN neighbors. It's just whatever generals thought was good and what the big boys were playing with. Buying a few fancy toys is silly..it has no value as a force multiplier when your entire budget is sunk.

And I seriously doubt Thailand has military intensions with modern states. If there's a serious threat from ? then Thailand would just call Obama.

This is a gesture to keep the neighbors honest and it would absolutely own against pirates.

mark45y you strike me as a (former?)bubble-head, no?

:)

Edited by ding

Diesel subs alone are highly vulnerable unless they are in combined battle groups. Thailand has a few pissant leaky destroyers and some fancy planes they bought off the swedes but they don't have the proper logistical support in a real conflict. Right now all those subs are good for is decorating it with twinkly christmas lights and floating them around as party boats with dancing katoeys.

Many of the nations you mentioned are part of larger strategic alliances. Greece, Turkey, Canada, and the U.K. are NATO members..the U.K has its own carrier battle groups as well. Diesel subs are just a strategic component. S. Korea's defense depends highly on U.S. contingency plans, the subs are support but they have lots of logistical support and a highly competent fleet.

Those S. American countries are a terrible comparison because they are just as half-assed as Thailand is with the exception of Brazil.

Thailand's military is a mish mash that's neither heads nor tails. They have no strong strategic allies, they have alienated all their ASEAN neighbors. It's just whatever generals thought was good and what the big boys were playing with. Buying a few fancy toys is silly..it has no value as a force multiplier when your entire budget is sunk.

I am just an observer but I have watched the Cobra Gold exercises for the past 4 years. They seemed coordinated and they all could talk to each other. Looked like they could do some real short term damage if they wanted to. Just to repeat they really could talk to each other, which I had really not expected. Thailand; United States; Singapore; Indonesia; Japan; and South Korea. 10 Coalition Observer Liaison Team (COLT) nations:Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Mongolia, the Philippines, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.

PS look in your back yard now. Do you see me?

post-26885-0-52963200-1301366669_thumb.j

And I seriously doubt Thailand has military intensions with modern states. If there's a serious threat from ? then Thailand would just call Obama.

This is a gesture to keep the neighbors honest and it would absolutely own against pirates.

mark45y you strike me as a (former?)bubble-head, no?

:)

No not I. Army Aviation. I only took one ride on a submarine and it was a very old submarine. We never submerged but it creaked and moaned it was a very old sub. Scary. Hats off to anyone who does that for a living.

"the U.K has its own carrier battle groups as well."

The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal is up for sale on the Ministry of Defence's auction website.

The Royal Navy's former flagship was decommissioned two weeks ago after 25 years in service as part of the government's defence budget review.

Sorry mate the UK does not even have a carrier now :(

Edited by MickA

As former Russian NAVY submarine officer I do approve the bargain because it is very good opportunity to restore coral population.

I take it that you don't think they will be floating for very long :rolleyes: Will it be because of the Thai crews inability to handle the boat or because it's "German Technology" :whistling:

I believe in German Technology. I am afraid if a diver swims to submarine and knock,knock...

Edited by StasD

I would suggest there is an irony here.

I had little respect for those who sought to justify their personal dislike of the the Redshirts by trying to imply that as some appeared to be paid, their grievances were invalidated.

Since the coup however the military involved have received huge payments and some have amassed large personal fortunes, all at the hands of a grateful government.but this has all been overshadowed by the vast financial rewards that have been showered on the military in the form of new weaponry etc. etc.

it looks here as if the military are trying to finalise a few major items or pay-outs before any election....just in case their cash cow disappears?

7 billion baht and they will only be good for around 10 years. They are already over 30 years old.

I say, fill them up with as many people (Thai style) as possible and head out to sea.

Amazing Thailand. A laugh a minute.