Motorcycle Excise Tax

Hi All,

Can I ask if anyone has had any experiences with paying excise tax for their motorcycle. More specifically this is the tax you have to pay after you import a motorcycle in parts and after import tax has been payed. I believe the Thai Government has set this at 3.3% (for a built motorcycle).

I read a post elsewhere that after a certain date the law will be enforcing large fines for non-compliance, because of this I imagine it should be straight forward to pay the excise, but then again!!!.

I would just like to know if its just a matter of going along to your regional transport office (mine will be Chiang Mai), agreeing with them on market value (I have visions of this part being fun!!!) and paying the 3.3%.

Any experiences would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

TT

PS I believe this also is a positive step towards a green book.

The excise tax is 30% of the 'book' value of a motorcycle. If your motorcycle is build from imported parts the build date is the year you put the bike back together, if this year your bike is 2011, with obvious a higher value. If you imported the motorcycle as a complete bike the build date was the day it rolled out of the factory, which is obvious less value.

Here's a quote from a source of some lad who is going through apply for a green book for his motorcycle.

"There would be 5 steps within about 3 months

1 Doing the emission test that would costs about 28k

2 Apply for setting the value of the motorbike

3 Paying the excise tax (3% of the value of the motorbike)

4 Apply for the Green Book (which actually costs about 1500,- thb?)

5 After 1 month : Receiving the number/license-plate

6 Two (2) weeks later : Receiving the Green Book "

I already stated my bike has been built from imported parts (just recently), all import taxes have been payed accordingly and paperwork in order.

Sorry for the mental looking quote from the newspaper, couldn't get it to paste properlyannoyed.gif

So again im just asking if anyone has actually gone through the below and what is involved and can it be done at any regional office?

Here's the quote from a well know thai newspaper i referred to earlier:

The Phuket Excise Office says big bike ownershave until September 25 to pay excise on motorcycles assembled from parts – orface hefty fines.

Motorcycles subject to prohibitive tariffs havelong been assembled from parts by 'grey market' operators in order to avoidpaying the tax.

Now excise officials insist the owners of suchvehicles – not the builders – must pay anyway.

Surat Saengnet, of the Phuket Provincial ExciseOffice, announced in a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall that "anyone who ownssuch vehicles – which are mostly big bikes such as Harley Davidsons – will haveto pay an excise of 3.3 percent of the vehicle price."

Owners who pay up before the deadline will notbe fined.

Those who fail to do so and get caught will be"fined from two to ten times the tax amount," Mr Surat said.

Another official at the Excise Office explainedthat "owners must provide documents showing their vehicles' engine and bodynumbers, as well as invoices and receipts for parts.

"These documents are sent to the Excise Office'sValue Pricing division, where a figure for the value of a vehicle isestablished. The tax rate is set from that," she said.

The official said the rate charged is "the sameas that for new bikes. Also new motorbikes imported from abroad must pay excisetax."

"Excise tax has been collected since 1997," saidSurat, "but we concentrated on motorcycles in shops. Now we will be muchstricter, checking all of them."

Normally, spare parts imported from abroad aretaxed according to the tariff on spare parts – which is significantly less thanthe rate for completely assembled vehicles.

Parts assembled into completed four-strokemotorcycles are subject to excise tax of 3 percent; two-strokes pay 5 percent.

Over the last three months, some 400 personshave been caught with motorcycles that evaded the excise.

Nicky's Handle Bar and big bike shop ownerSomneuk 'Nicky' Phonkaew told the Gazette, "I have just one such bike and ithas already been taxed. If you follow the rules, you don't have any hassles."

Wanlop Inthanop of the Phuket Land TransportOffice said, "Parts assembled into motorcycles must be examined by the ThaiIndustrial Standards Institute of the Ministry of Industry in Bangkok. Theyreceive certification only if they meet the institute's standards."

After passing that hurdle, owners must pay the excise tax – andonly then will the Land Transport Office allow them to register their vehicles

Here's a quote from a source of some lad who is going through apply for a green book for his motorcycle.

"There would be 5 steps within about 3 months

1 Doing the emission test that would costs about 28k

2 Apply for setting the value of the motorbike

3 Paying the excise tax (3% of the value of the motorbike)

4 Apply for the Green Book (which actually costs about 1500,- thb?)

5 After 1 month : Receiving the number/license-plate

6 Two (2) weeks later : Receiving the Green Book "

I already stated my bike has been built from imported parts (just recently), all import taxes have been payed accordingly and paperwork in order.

Sorry for the mental looking quote from the newspaper, couldn't get it to paste properlyannoyed.gif

So again im just asking if anyone has actually gone through the below and what is involved and can it be done at any regional office?

Here's the quote from a well know thai newspaper i referred to earlier:

The Phuket Excise Office says big bike ownershave until September 25 to pay excise on motorcycles assembled from parts – orface hefty fines.

Motorcycles subject to prohibitive tariffs havelong been assembled from parts by 'grey market' operators in order to avoidpaying the tax.

Now excise officials insist the owners of suchvehicles – not the builders – must pay anyway.

Surat Saengnet, of the Phuket Provincial ExciseOffice, announced in a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall that "anyone who ownssuch vehicles – which are mostly big bikes such as Harley Davidsons – will haveto pay an excise of 3.3 percent of the vehicle price."

Owners who pay up before the deadline will notbe fined.

Those who fail to do so and get caught will be"fined from two to ten times the tax amount," Mr Surat said.

Another official at the Excise Office explainedthat "owners must provide documents showing their vehicles' engine and bodynumbers, as well as invoices and receipts for parts.

"These documents are sent to the Excise Office'sValue Pricing division, where a figure for the value of a vehicle isestablished. The tax rate is set from that," she said.

The official said the rate charged is "the sameas that for new bikes. Also new motorbikes imported from abroad must pay excisetax."

"Excise tax has been collected since 1997," saidSurat, "but we concentrated on motorcycles in shops. Now we will be muchstricter, checking all of them."

Normally, spare parts imported from abroad aretaxed according to the tariff on spare parts – which is significantly less thanthe rate for completely assembled vehicles.

Parts assembled into completed four-strokemotorcycles are subject to excise tax of 3 percent; two-strokes pay 5 percent.

Over the last three months, some 400 personshave been caught with motorcycles that evaded the excise.

Nicky's Handle Bar and big bike shop ownerSomneuk 'Nicky' Phonkaew told the Gazette, "I have just one such bike and ithas already been taxed. If you follow the rules, you don't have any hassles."

Wanlop Inthanop of the Phuket Land TransportOffice said, "Parts assembled into motorcycles must be examined by the ThaiIndustrial Standards Institute of the Ministry of Industry in Bangkok. Theyreceive certification only if they meet the institute's standards."

After passing that hurdle, owners must pay the excise tax – andonly then will the Land Transport Office allow them to register their vehicles

That was in 2009, when the Thai government made it clear that they will start checking motorcycle for documents. The special excise tax expired 29 September 2009, and it's currently at 30% for any motor vehicle with less than 2000cc.

post-12170-0-22965100-1301288037_thumb.j

Im not 100% and is the reason im posting but I think the above table you provided is for importing a complete vehicle and not as parts. I have been told the build tax will be between 10-20k Baht, depending on the value off-course, I assume this is the excise tax.

There is a local bike dealer who tells me he can do it no problem and his total fees are no where close to 35% of the value of my motorcycle. All I have to do is provide x4 photos at different angles of the bike and all import paperwork.

I appreciate your feedback but I am getting two or three different versions of what I should pay. I have the wife contacting CGD and The Thai Automotive Place. Getting the run around at the moment but getting closer to the truth, its out there somewherewhistling.gif

You could be in for a big surprise, i know a few guys who have paid a lot, 1 had to pay 2 times, thats in Phuket and it was all Harleyes, but let us know how it goes maybe not to much tax on the Jap bikes.

You can look at some old tread here yhis has been up many times here, remember page 18 in your book :)

1 had to pay 2 times, thats in Phuket and it was all Harleyes, .

Why would you pay two times ?

You better ask the people there was down here in Phuket to collect tax, they could go 11 years back i think it was, they just took the bike if you did not pay, this have been in here a few times before so please look back in some old tread

1 had to pay 2 times, thats in Phuket and it was all Harleyes, .

Why would you pay two times ?

You better ask the people there was down here in Phuket to collect tax, they could go 11 years back i think it was, they just took the bike if you did not pay, this have been in here a few times before so please look back in some old tread

Not that interested in Phukets bullshit as I left there 10 years ago, Only way you would pay twice is if it wasnt in stamped in your book or it was a con, etheir way you dont have much choice.

I was interested to hear about why you would pay twice ? but not that interested to search the forum as what goes on in Phuket is different than many other parts of Thailand.

:crazy:

Phuket is very different as you say, maybe thats why he had to pay 2 times??, but read the old tread about the tax problem and page 18 in the book it will open up a lot of answers.

I just paid the excise on my Royal Enfield, imported as parts.

To avoid any unfair assessment of value, I documented initial purchase price when new, current used value, new retail price in the last year sold, and retail on the current replacement model.

In the end they decided on the high side but still mioce nuts. My buddy who choose not to submit documentation got screwed as they simply looked up the US market current new price

There was a fine for breaking the law and assembling a bike from parts - about 8500

The excise tax was about 4500

My buddy paid twice this

Use an excise tax agent to do the work as it is much easier. To my knowledge there are only 2 or maybe 3 in CM and I used Richco Motorsports.

Thanks for all the feedback. In light of the situation I have sourced a company in Bangkok who will sort everything out including a legal green book. Just need to Logispost the bike down for a week for the emissions test. They will pay the excise tax on the bike through their company. I should have this receipt in just over two weeks. Apparently there is only two days per month that this can be paid! the 1st and 15th. Approx. 3 months for the book, we'll see.....

I was informed that its alot easier initially for the bike to be in a Thai name as it makes the whole process go smoother, this I can understand.

Thanks

TT

Thanks for all the feedback. In light of the situation I have sourced a company in Bangkok who will sort everything out including a legal green book. Just need to Logispost the bike down for a week for the emissions test. They will pay the excise tax on the bike through their company. I should have this receipt in just over two weeks. Apparently there is only two days per month that this can be paid! the 1st and 15th. Approx. 3 months for the book, we'll see.....

I was informed that its alot easier initially for the bike to be in a Thai name as it makes the whole process go smoother, this I can understand.

Thanks

TT

Sound good, please keep us updated on this, also if you get a new green book or a used book

I just paid the excise on my Royal Enfield, imported as parts.

To avoid any unfair assessment of value, I documented initial purchase price when new, current used value, new retail price in the last year sold, and retail on the current replacement model.

In the end they decided on the high side but still mioce nuts. My buddy who choose not to submit documentation got screwed as they simply looked up the US market current new price

There was a fine for breaking the law and assembling a bike from parts - about 8500

The excise tax was about 4500

My buddy paid twice this

Use an excise tax agent to do the work as it is much easier. To my knowledge there are only 2 or maybe 3 in CM and I used Richco Motorsports.

I know with my bike they went to the Motor vehicles department and Applied for a permit to build before they assembled the bike.

Anyone know about the fines ?

If you imported a bike many years ago and have yet to pay the excise tax does the fine get larger the longer you leave it ?.