Khao Yai Weekend Run

ttakata

Three of us did a weekend Khao Yai run.

So I met these 2 brand new KLX250S last Saturday at the new Ramkamhaeng Soi 146 Kawi dealer.

Nice showroom of all the Kawis from the KSR110 to the Vulcan.

They also sell Real brand helmets and Japan spec Yoshimura mufflers.

They have some English speaking staff.

We covered 530KMs over 2 days and rode many dirt/gravel trails, a roughly plowed crop field, and a lap of the new Bonanza racetrack that was being cleaned up from the recent redshirt rally there.

I only dumped my DTX once as I was trying to turn out of a mud patch.

Street tires become slicks in mud very quick.

The KLXs never even broke a sweat off road and were ridden pretty fast through the paved twisties of Khao Yai National Park.

I think the KLX250S is the ultimate SE Asia adventure bike, it can go anywhere.

I've always been a street rider but I'll be getting a set of dirt rims and knobbies soon.

Racing on a track is always fun but blasting up a dirt hill and through mud patches is a new kind of fun for me.

Sadly we don't have any action shots but if you have a dualsport or are daring on a motard, this trip is a lot of fun.

Plug this web address into Google Maps and it will show where we went.

http://share.gps.mot...7eb436c3bec419b

11KhaoYai2.jpg

11KhaoYai15.jpg

11KhaoYai16.jpg

11KhaoYai9.jpg

11KhaoYai8.jpg

11KhaoYai6.jpg

11KhaoYai7.jpg

11KhaoYai17.jpg

11KhaoYai18.jpg

11KhaoYai14.jpg

Nice one!

A red shirt rally at Bonanza?! That's pretty funny, considering the "HiSo" owners of Bonanza are exactly what the Red Shirts claim to hate... Bah, I can't really tell the difference between the reds and yellows anymore anyway- all lunatic fringe far as I can tell.

When I did my trip to Laos in December one of my friends was on a KLX250 and another on a D-Tracker and I have to say that the KLX really seems the ideal bike for a country like Laos where you really can rarely exceed 100km/hr. Once we returned to Thailand at Nong Kai and started the long ride home the 250's did struggle to keep up on the much better quality Thai roads... Even derestricted it seems the max comfortable cruising speed on those bikes is about 110-120km/hr.

121010MekongCrossing4SSR.jpg

I think the Versys with a bigger front wheel and dualsport tires would be wicked fun on mixed surfaces. I imagine transforming mine into something like this:

635470880_CmJCe-O.jpg

Basically a KLX on steroids! :lol:

Woohoo!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK