Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

Time to arrange another test drive, tho' earlier in the week they didn't have an auto. Over a month ago, on the other test drive, I don't recall any lag in acceleration. Did a quick u-turn from a standing starts, & another couple of standing starts on the drive. And I was being heavy with my right foot....

I didn't notice it during my test-drive either. You may not notice a delay during a test drive if you don't really gun it. Try pushing the petal all the way down. Mild acceleration, or normal driving isn't effected in my truck. But as Krabinretiree pointed out, sometimes you want maximum acceleration. Pushing the petal to the metal should indicate to your vehicle that you want maximum acceleration, not throttle cut-off. I've been playing around with my truck trying to find out more about this throttle lag, because it isn't always there. However, it occurs more often than just during speed bump driving. Last night when timing 0-40km/h with petal all the way down and with petal around 1/4 down, I got the about the same times-- 5 seconds. Of course the acceleration flow was completely different. I'll post videos when I got some time.

hmm.stalled the test drive 6 speed manual twice..maybe the delay thing..thought it was my aged clutch foot?? felt an abs't a 'hole in front of dealer laddie...wonder what/if the issue is?? T

Think if driving the vehicle and one knows one can adjust.....?? NOT an issue for me....driven lots of less than perfect vehicles..if and

know the idiosyncrasies of your vehicle .... can compensate ..yes?

Just like this fricking website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the bedliner fitted to my 4door XLT yesterday, 4800baht. Checked it was genuine and not a copy as heard they wouldn't be available until April and it was so must be starting to trickle out. There were quite a few other colours there now and already 200+ orders just in sleepy Chiang Rai, looks like Ford will take a chunk out of Toyota and Isuzu sales with the new Ranger.

I noticed that some come with Dunlop Grantrek AT22 tyres and some with Bridgestone Dueler H/T, when I asked why I was told it was due to the flooding but they have now have contracts with both Dunlop and Bridgestone.

Had the bedliner fitted to my 4door XLT yesterday, 4800baht. Checked it was genuine and not a copy as heard they wouldn't be available until April and it was so must be starting to trickle out. There were quite a few other colours there now and already 200+ orders just in sleepy Chiang Rai, looks like Ford will take a chunk out of Toyota and Isuzu sales with the new Ranger.

I noticed that some come with Dunlop Grantrek AT22 tyres and some with Bridgestone Dueler H/T, when I asked why I was told it was due to the flooding but they have now have contracts with both Dunlop and Bridgestone.

Is there much difference between the two tyres and could you specify which ones you want when ordering? I've also noticed in some pics that they are fitted with different brands.

I went to my Ford dealer to reassure myself that I'm doing the right thing in waiting.

I took the same demo car out that I'd used a month ago, it's now got over a 1,000KMs.

I kinda abused it, I done some nice emergency stops and quick starts, and really a very slight lag was present.

I drove it all the way to my estate where there's a nice new road with 5 steep speed bumps.

Yes, there was a lag when slowing down and accelerating but at most 2 sec and that's generous.

I also tried driving right over at speed, 10-20KMH you can feel them very slightly, 30KM and up to 50KM (the fastest I'd dare to go) you wouldn't even notice they were there.

So conclusion, Yes, I'm doing the right thing in waiting and don't slow down for speed bumpsclap2.gif

All testing was done a new road on the Moo Baan without houses being finished.coffee1.gif

Yes, there was a lag when slowing down and accelerating but at most 2 sec and that's generous.

2 seconds... I can see a fair few getting T-boned when coming out of the side-street or wanting to cross a busy highway. Nobody likes to sit and wait in this country and not being able to pull away sharply from a slow-roll into traffic is pretty hazardous IMHO. I take it that from a proper standing start, stationary, like at a traffic light, this lag doesn't exist; it is only there when rolling slowly in a low gear?

The reasoning from Ford that it's to take out the accelerator bounce when one's foot jabs the gas pedal in rough terrain sounds like crap reverse engineering by someone who tested it and doesn't do a lot of off-road riding. I have driven in rough deserts and tundra and very much aware of the 'problem' when one's foot inadvertently starts blipping the accelerator. When that happens, you lift your foot clear of the bloody pedal and don't ride it! Other alternatives are to set the hand throttle and forget about the pedal.

....the WT doesn't have a hand throttle??!!! Dealbreaker! Even my old Holden FJ Ute had a bloody hand throttle.

Anyway, programming a delay in the AT's control circuitry to apply a 'global' lag regardless of road conditions is a poor and dangerous patch on a non-problem. If they wanted to make it safer, they would need to incorporate some accelerometers in that control circuitry so that the lag only happens when the accelerometers detect excessive motion that off-roading causes and not rolling through a 'Give Way' style intersection or neighborhood speed bumps.

Edited by NanLaew

Yes, all very good points.

The delay is no more than an old 3 or 4 speed auto kicking down so I wouldn't say it's that dangerous though.

Saying that, I can understand that it's pointless in the 2WD.

Edit

Sorry, missed the question there.

Yes, only present when already rolling, but as I said it's comparable to an old auto kick down without the jolt.

Edited by stefan2519

So I booked a blue 4x2 open hi-rider a few weeks ago with a promised arrival date of whenever we wanted, so we went for the 1st March.

Got a call this week to say that they had stock delivered so we went in just now to have a look.

They had 2 models, a black double-cab and a true red open cab; no blue open cab.

"So where is our blue one?"

"Are you sure you don't want a red one or a white one?"

"Yes, I am sure"

"Then I don't know, but definitely not the 1st"

angry.png

So we then called another dealership and they said that there has been a QC delay and the deliveries were just trickling through to customers with no definitive arrival date for any models. And we should have received a letter explaining this.

Anyone else experienced this? Any current owners had a letter from Ford recently?

To say I'm a bit cheesed off is an understatement.

Edit: Just called Ford Silom and they are saying that there is a delay in supply indirectly caused by the floods.

On a more positive note, the true red hi-rider open-cab I thought looked great...

Edited by TehBen

The issue with the gear box sounds the same as the one in Aus.

Some say it's the adaptive programming learning, some a software fault but most say after awhile it starts to get better.

Certianly sounds like a software problem to me.

OP: keep the pressure on Ford to fix it. I had similar problems with a Mitsu once, and after a little persistance ended up with an engineer coming to my house for day, and custom programming the AT until I was satisfied.

Some say it's the adaptive programming learning, some a software fault but most say after awhile it starts to get better.

OP: keep the pressure on Ford to fix it. I had similar problems with a Mitsu once, and after a little persistance ended up with an engineer coming to my house for day, and custom programming the AT until I was satisfied.

MRO what is the likelihood that this roblem exists with the bt50? Would the ecu and programming be essentially the same as the ford's? Seems like its wise to hold off on a purchase for a year in the hope these bugs are ironed out.

So I booked a blue 4x2 open hi-rider a few weeks ago with a promised arrival date of whenever we wanted, so we went for the 1st March.

Got a call this week to say that they had stock delivered so we went in just now to have a look.

They had 2 models, a black double-cab and a true red open cab; no blue open cab.

"Yes, I am sure"

angry.png

So we then called another dealership and they said that there has been a QC delay and the deliveries were just trickling through to customers with no definitive arrival date for any models. And we should have received a letter explaining this.

Anyone else experienced this? Any current owners had a letter from Ford recently?

Edit: Just called Ford Silom and they are saying that there is a delay in supply indirectly caused by the floods.

On a more positive note, the true red hi-rider open-cab I thought looked great...

Getting the car colour you actually want can be a lottery in Thailand and it's not unique to Ford. A chap I work with relocated to Thailand a month ago and he is tolling around in a Vios which isn't the colour him and his wife ordered. I ordered a blue Ranger double cab a few weeks ago. Then they called me a few days later and said I could have a red one right now. They couldn't tell me which red it was so I called the wife and asked her to go check. By the time she did that, it was gone. Some punters place their deposits and then come up short on D-Day with the full down-payment or get bounced on financing so their car suddenly goes on the spot market.

I decided to update my color choices at the dealership last weekend having seen a True Red in Asoke and my buddy saying the Gunmetal Blue one he checked out looked nice. The sales chap casually remarked that they had the latter color pass through the day before and pity they didn't know.....! So another week passes and none of my 3 color choices have reappeared. Maybe I will end up with a black one after all!

Edited by NanLaew

"Yes, I am sure"

angry.png

Think about all of us that have been waiting on the Wildtrack 3.2's!! A lot of us booked at the show or shortly thereafter, and still don't get much for reliable info on them!! We have had delivery date changes a dozen times and still nothing definate and they just released price to early bookers, so not holding my breath!

MRO what is the likelihood that this roblem exists with the bt50? Would the ecu and programming be essentially the same as the ford's? Seems like its wise to hold off on a purchase for a year in the hope these bugs are ironed out.

It's highly unlikely the BT-50 would have different AT firmware.

If you're also confident it's just a software issue, it shouldn't be a reason to hold off - updating the AT firmware is a 10 minute job, and if you have a decent tech doing it, they will normally point out some other options you can enable/disable as well ;)

For e.g. Auto-door lock (when x KM/hr reached) and unlock (when P engaged), auto-window-up (on P or door open), one-touch lane-change (i.e. quick touch of the stalk turns on the inidcators for a preset number of flashes), Auto re-lock (if accidentally unlocking the car by remote, it will re-lock if a door is not opened with x secs), etc etc.

Oops, seems one has bit the dust already.

From what I can gather the driver was OK.

I would imagine some of those driver aids they removed would have come in handy!

Although, it does look like it was travelling at a fair old speed to do all that.

post-80555-0-25256100-1330269643_thumb.p

post-80555-0-49844500-1330269657_thumb.p

post-80555-0-71890000-1330269659_thumb.p

Edited by stefan2519

I would imagine some of those driver aids they removed would have come in handy!

Although, it does look like it was travelling at a fair old speed to do all that.

Watch out for a "nearly new" for sale in Aurora Blue......

AT software problem?

Edited by MESmith

Watch out for a "nearly new" for sale in Aurora Blue......

AT software problem?

I doubt it, that looks like a 60K+ plus crash.

It looks as if he's hit something head on, car or concrete?

60K bath?? Are you kidding, it looks like a +200K bath crash to me, the car is totaled.

Yes I too think he hit something hard and it wasn't a dog.

You said the driver is OK, well good for him he was driving a new Ranger with impact zones

and not a older pick-up model and the outcome might have been much different.

Edited by guzzi850m2

60K bath?? Are you kidding, it looks like a +200K bath crash to me, the car is totaled.

Yes I too think he hit something hard and it wasn't a dog.

You said the driver is OK, well good for him he was driving a new Ranger with impact zones

and not a older pick-up model and the outcome might have been much different.

Ha!

Sorry, I meant 60KMH + crash, and I'd hope that isn't a 200,000THB repair job, as you said a write off.

Sorry to hear about the delays for delivery for those waiting...

I was curious....after reading it seems the Ford & Mazda are basically the same truck from the same plant...Engine,Trans,Frame?

If so is the only real difference exterior styling & some interior styling then?

For instance the Mazda

FSC 2.2 Hi-Racer 659,000 Baht

Is it basically the same as the Ford

Open Cab 2.2 Hi-Rider XLT 699,000 Baht?

Edited by flying

Sorry to hear about the delays for delivery for those waiting...

I was curious....after reading it seems the Ford & Mazda are basically the same truck from the same plant...Engine,Trans,Frame?

If so is the only real difference exterior styling & some interior styling then?

For instance the Mazda

FSC 2.2 Hi-Racer 659,000 Baht

Is it basically the same as the Ford

Open Cab 2.2 Hi-Rider XLT 699,000 Baht?

Yep, underneath they're the same - chassis my Mazda, Engines and gearboxes by Ford. The differences are interior/exterior styling, the suspension tune, and model grades.

The 659K Hi-Racer doesn't have ABS like the XLT - the 715K Hi-Racer is closest in spec to the XLT Hi-rider, but the Mazda gets a couple of extra minor features for the extra +16K

After the now famous letters coming from Ford apologizing/notifying that for the Ranger Wildtrak is delayed until June and the letter offer to change to a XLT manual 6 speed or automatic 6 speed if we can not wait. Today we called Ford and changed our order to New Ford Ranger Double Cab 2.2L 4x4 XLT 6AT. They told us the new XLT models will start being available march 1st.

Edited by gosompoi

After the now famous letters coming from Ford apologizing/notifying that for the Ranger Wildtrak is delayed until June and the letter offer to change to a XLT manual 6 speed or automatic 6 speed if we can not wait. Today we called Ford and changed our order to New Ford Ranger Double Cab 2.2L 4x4 XLT 6AT. They told us the new XLT models will start being available march 1st.

I'm not counting my chickens till their hatched, but while I was in the dealer on Sat they told me they'd received a letter from HQ saying that mine would be there in April.

Maybe, if you ordered early enough it MIGHT be before June.intheclub.gif

I don't think Ford offers the 2.2 XLT 4x4 in AT gearbox right? It's not listed. Correct me if I'm wrong. Might want to double check with your sales person

What are the chances of a 3.2lt 4x2 with all the features of the top of the range 4x4 model, which looks like it'll be over 1 million baht? For most folk, 4x4 not really needed unless you want to drive muddy mountain tracks in the rainy season. 80 - 100,000 bt less would bring you the 100,000 bt tax refund for first time buyers.

I don't think Ford offers the 2.2 XLT 4x4 in AT gearbox right? It's not listed. Correct me if I'm wrong. Might want to double check with your sales person

Available March 1st, since I order 4x4 wildtrak my letter stated a delay until June but offered XLT 2.2 4x4 6AT If I wanted my truck sooner. When we called they told us the AT will be available March 1st and to confirm our order then.

Like I said above the delays are not limited to the WT. Our open-cab XLT hi-rider was supposed to arrive on the 1st March (ordered 3 weeks ago) and now nobody seems to know when it will come. I was told "definitely not March 1st" though. So good luck, but I'm not holding my breath.

I will be taking a trip to Mazda this week though.

Edited by TehBen

Available March 1st, since I order 4x4 wildtrak my letter stated a delay until June but offered XLT 2.2 4x4 6AT If I wanted my truck sooner. When we called they told us the AT will be available March 1st and to confirm our order then.

Yes but the 4x4 AT XLT is not listed in the ford website. Do you know the price of this vehicle, and what else does it have? usb, bluetooth, etc?

Yes but the 4x4 AT XLT is not listed in the ford website. Do you know the price of this vehicle, and what else does it have? usb, bluetooth, etc?

By the Ford price list flayer the DBL 2.2L 4X4 XLT 6MT 879,000.............but no AT listed...I guess AT only in WT 969,000.

899,000 - no usb, no bluetooth

Engine

• Duratorq TDCi 2.2L VG Turbo Intercooler
    Max power 150 PS, Max torque 375 Nm
    6-speed auto transmission

Key Features

• Double wishbone with coil spring / Leaf springs
  • Rack and Pinion with power assist steering system
  • Limited Slip Rear Differential
  • 17" alloy wheel with 265/65R17
  • Front fog lamps
  • Side steps
  • Auto headlamps
  • Power foldable side Mirrors with turning indicator
  • Rain sensing wipers
  • FM/AM stereo radio, single CD/MP3 player with AUX-in
  • 4 speakers (XLT)
  • Large screen color matrix multi-function display
  • Remote flip key
  • ABS with EBD
  • Dual front airbags

They do indeed have a XLT AT in 4X4 4dr, and though not listed, told I could get one immediately from dealer today> We go in tomorrow to see about trading car in and financing. I am looking at the True Red, and is available at factory ready now, not sure of any other colors!