Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoonman, I am sorry but I simply don't believe that they are making a lower grade steel for the Thai market, I doesn't make sense as Woodsie also points out, so if you buy a Ranger in say Malaysia do you get the Thai version or Aus. model?

I really wish we could get this sorted once and for all, IMHO help pleaseeeeeebiggrin.png

I don't have any inside info on this I'm afraid :(

That said, it's quite feasible that they are simply using lower grade steels for ASEAN market models where safety standards are lower.

e.g. instead if using aluminized boron and dual phase steels, they could be substituting with garden variety grades - which will have a big effect on rigidity, big reductions in manufacturing costs, but very little effect on weight.

I wouldn't dismiss it off-hand - especially seeing as the insight comes from Spoonman, whose company works pretty closely with Ford TH.

Not a Trucker, but i notice you seem to see the same new truck but with different ride hights. One looks nice,the other stupid IMO.Can you specify.?.coffee1.gif

I got the stupid version so I can drive easily though the flooded roads during next rainy season, in my old Honda City I almost drowned twice.

In my stupid version I also have a nice view.

Since it's not a racing car I have no intensions of lowering it as you see many young Thai dudes do.

And since I am over 50 now I don't really care if a pop star find it stupid or not, I like it and that what matters to me.wink.png

Ive found if you go somewhere in the Floods, your the only silly bugger there.cheesy.gif

Oz Ranger has a "12 year" chassis, Thai Ranger has a "6 year" chassis.

In short, should we assume that all car makers established in Thailand produce cars with lower grade steel and lower technical specifications than for ROW?

What about other brands, such as Mitsubishi or Toyota?

If that's the case, it gives a whole other lighting to buying imported cars... No matter what the price.

If this lower grade steel is true which Spoonman & IMHO indicates it is, then I fell "cheated", it I knew that when I bought my WT 2.2 I might even had canceled.

So how much will this compromise the safety of the Truck? 25% less safe? Or even more.

Fxxk me.sad.png

Just saw freemindxs post: Yes I would also like to know If it is the same with other brands?

Not a Trucker, but i notice you seem to see the same new truck but with different ride hights. One looks nice,the other stupid IMO.Can you specify.?.coffee1.gif

I got the stupid version so I can drive easily though the flooded roads during next rainy season, in my old Honda City I almost drowned twice.

Since it's not a racing car I have no intensions of lowering it as you see many young Thai dudes do.

And since I am over 50 now I don't really care if a pop star find it stupid or not, I like it and that what matters to me.wink.png

Ive found if you go somewhere in the Floods, your the only silly bugger there.cheesy.gif

You must be new to Thailandwink.png , I sometimes been out driving and suddenly it has started to raining very heavily and the risks of flash floods can "pop" out of nowhere.

I can't stay in my house for 2 month when the rainy season starts, but you just retired right? So I guess you can stay home for 2 monthlaugh.png

Oz Ranger has a "12 year" chassis, Thai Ranger has a "6 year" chassis.

In short, should we assume that all car makers established in Thailand produce cars with lower grade steel and lower technical specifications than for ROW?

What about other brands, such as Mitsubishi or Toyota?

I think that is a fair assumption.

If this lower grade steel is true which Spoonman & IMHO indicates it is, then I fell "cheated", it I knew that when I bought my WT 2.2 I might even had canceled.

So how much will this compromise the safety of the Truck? 25% less safe? Or even more.

Fxxk me.sad.png

Just saw freemindxs post: Yes I would also like to know If it is the same with other brands?

Just to clear, I'm not suggesting they use lower grade steels for domestic versions - I'm just saying that it's quite possible they could do this without substantially effecting the weight of the car, or the thickness of parts.

Spoonman has never given me reason to doubt his credibility though either.

You must be new to Thailandwink.png , I sometimes been out driving and suddenly it has started to raining very heavily and the risks of flash floods can "pop" out of nowhere.

I can't stay in my house for 2 month when the rainy season starts, but you just retired right? So I guess you can stay home for 2 monthlaugh.png

Nah, i left the Swamps and moved to civilization.. Yes i'm new here 25 Years on the Road for Earth Moving Trucks.tongue.png .Im one of a few million idiots who prefer a non spinal damage ride.cheesy.gif

Fxxk me.sad.png

Just to clear, I'm not suggesting they use lower grade steels for domestic versions - I'm just saying that it's quite possible they could do this without substantially effecting the weight of the car, or the thickness of parts.

Spoonman has never given me reason to doubt his credibility though either.

To be honest I have no factual evidence but rather repeating what I was told by some credible engineers that are involved in the design phase working at Ford.

A colleague of mine said that in 2011, after the floods, they had to import Honda Jazz made in Japan to satisfy the internal demand... The difference in quality was huge, apparently.

As to compromising the safety of the car, well, the whole advantage from having a heavier, higher and more rigid car than the Volvo sedan would be nullified. If there is no safety on the integrity of the cabin and lower-grade steel ends with giving you bad results on structural integrity, then indeed, no matter how heavy your car, you might still end up badly damaged.

Just imagine the profits to be made if you reduce the cost of a car of about 2000 $ per unit, but keep it priced as it is presently?

I would also imagine similar compromises on steel quality to be more readily made on pickups and PPV than on luxury sedans... But who knows?

Safety always comes at a cost.

Edited by freemindxs

Additional elements seeming to confirm the thesis of two lines of production for Ford Ranger: http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67282095-Ford-Ranger-Wildtrak-Road-Test-Review/page2

Thanks for the link and sadly it seems that they are making 2 different Rangers.

Now the big question: How much will that matter in a accident?

Additional elements seeming to confirm the thesis of two lines of production for Ford Ranger: http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67282095-Ford-Ranger-Wildtrak-Road-Test-Review/page2

Post number 44 of that forum doesn't agree though.

I guess the truth will come out one way or the other if the subject is given some more exposure.

My feeling is Ford have a lot to lose if it were the case that they are building an inferior vehicle for the Thai market versus ROW vehicles.

I have personal experience in a legal situation with Thai made BMW's and they were found to be of exactly the same quality as a German made version, fortunately for me.

I guess the truth will come out one way or the other if the subject is given some more exposure.

My feeling is Ford have a lot to lose if it were the case that they are building an inferior vehicle for the Thai market versus ROW vehicles.

I have personal experience in a legal situation with Thai made BMW's and they were found to be of exactly the same quality as a German made version, fortunately for me.

Not sure what Ford would lose. Most Thai customers would be unaware ofthe consequences.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the link and sadly it seems that they are making 2 different Rangers.

Now the big question: How much will that matter in a accident?

The answer is here in one of the posts:

" NCAP frame is stiffer and contains more brackets than a Non NCAP. Same as St V requires extra brackets for DPF etc compared to St I-IV. Ford Ranger body shares some steel to save complexity through AAT but Thai and Australia bodies are definitely different "

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post #44 was me.

What my mate at AAT told me was incorrect, hence post #53 is my apology to silciv.

Read on the OZ website that the 3.2 ranger auto is 2200 kg. My understanding is that the Thai ranger is abotu the same, but will stand corrected. I don't believe different gauge metal is being used.

They use the same metal or they would have to use different

dies to press them. They may not put the side intrusion bars in the thai model

or other safety items I do not know

Read on the OZ website that the 3.2 ranger auto is 2200 kg. My understanding is that the Thai ranger is abotu the same, but will stand corrected. I don't believe different gauge metal is being used.

mine has intrusion bars in the door.

If the metal is the same thickness (never has it been said otherwise, only the grade of metal) why would different press dies be needed ?

Going back to My Question that didn't include Lowering, can you chose and order the ride height on Commercial Vehicles such as Ford Rangers and Mazda Utes...coffee1.gif

You can choose from what they have on offer. 4x2 standard/4x2 Hi-rider/4x4.

on a side note 22" wheels look better than 20's, still looks like a rollerskate but not as much as before.

20130411_1822202_zpsd497234a.jpg

Once I lift it 4 inches I'll go back to the 20" rims and throw some of these muddies on (35/12.5/20).

20130411_1525591_zps693736b6.jpg

Edited by Spoonman

Going back to My Question that didn't include Lowering, can you chose and order the ride height on Commercial Vehicles such as Ford Rangers and Mazda Utes...:coffee1:

The Ford ranger seems to have been released here mostly as hi riders,mine is a ford ranger xlt,which I call a low rider as it doesn't really seem to have a name,such as standard xlt,it came with 16 inch alloys which I've changed to 17 inch ones off a hi rider as it just gives the car a bit of a lift,and the car in my opinion looked a bit stupid with a lot of empty wheel arch space above the tyres.

Last week I saw several low riders sat outside ford in Pattaya waiting to be dressed up and sent out to customers,but as yet I've not noticed any on the roads.

Going back to My Question that didn't include Lowering, can you chose and order the ride height on Commercial Vehicles such as Ford Rangers and Mazda Utes...coffee1.gif

You can choose from what they have on offer. 4x2 standard/4x2 Hi-rider/4x4.

on a side note 22" wheels look better than 20's, still looks like a rollerskate but not as much as before.

20130411_1822202_zpsd497234a.jpg

Once I lift it 4 inches I'll go back to the 20" rims and throw some of these muddies on (35/12.5/20).

20130411_1525591_zps693736b6.jpg

Yep, go the arctic trucks look :) The low-profile 22's just don't gel with the car IMHO

mine has intrusion bars in the door.

If the metal is the same thickness (never has it been said otherwise, only the grade of metal) why would different press dies be needed ?

When a panel is pressed it stretches and springs back. This will

vary on the material used so using metal of the same specification is important

or the panel will be a slightly different shape. This makes it a lot harder to

assemble the body and on a production line time counts.

glad they have intrusion bars as i was not sure