Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

We have waited a year now so it seems a bit silly to compromise on a 2.2 at this stage like Ford have tried to get us to do but if they had mentioned at the begining how long it was going to take I would definitly have taken the 2.2 and I am sure I would have been very, very happy with it. I did put a deposit down on a 3.2 Mazda two days ago but I did it mainly because I was in a strop with Ford at the time and the red mist had descended, it was a really nice car and a way better drive than the Isuzu V max we had just test drove but now I have calmed down I realise I can wait a bit longer so that is a few baht wasted due to my temper and Ford's innability to deliver, problem is nothing else out there compares for me personally so patience it is, I am certain you will be happy with the Mazda though as the difference between the Mazda and the Isuzu was like night and day, one felt small and responsive and the other felt large and lumbering, strange really the large car felt small and the large engine felt slow.......

You should be able to get your deposit back from Mazda.

I tried a BT50 as well during my long wait for the Ranger and I was also impressed with it but I think it lacks to good looks of the Ranger but it all comes down to personal taste.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posted on the "window tint" thread about my experience with Crystalline window film......many thanks to mogandave for his recommendation of the shop in Bang Na. Crystalline is expensive as all get out, but it is impressive.

So, 2 complaints or maybe observations that I have about the Ranger.

1) The aircon, even on the lowest setting is too cold at many times, even more noticeable now with the Crystalline window film.

2) The power window buttons are set too far aft on the drivers door. I have to crook my elbow up and back to comfortably touch them. I know this seems like a small thing, but so noticeable compared to the Pajero Sport or my Navara.

I wonder if Ford in this day and age could just do some sort of software update to change the aircon values.

Just posted on the "window tint" thread about my experience with Crystalline window film......many thanks to mogandave for his recommendation of the shop in Bang Na. Crystalline is expensive as all get out, but it is impressive.

1) The aircon, even on the lowest setting is too cold at many times, even more noticeable now with the Crystalline window film.

2) The power window buttons are set too far aft on the drivers door. I have to crook my elbow up and back to comfortably touch them. I know this seems like a small thing, but so noticeable compared to the Pajero Sport or my Navara.

I wonder if Ford in this day and age could just do some sort of software update to change the aircon values.

I agree on both these comments about the aircon and window switch.also don't find the gear change as nice as the older Ranger I had,but I will say,for a 2.2,it goes like hell,is quiet and pretty smooth.

I have 40 front/60 side & rear Crystalline since new last April and still looking good.

The Ford aircon is indeed a bit chilly after dark but perfectly adequate for the April temperatures!

I find that using the split face/floor option and the thermostat set all the way anticlockwise with fan on the lowest speed is the best way of not getting too cold. Some suggest on opening the air circulation vent as another way of upping the temperature a wee bit; warmer external air coming in. However, on night drives, I need to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. I reckon they could do with a fan speed between 0 and 1 but that isn't going to happen. I doubt there's any programming since the aircon has a fixed cooling capacity and blower fans have fixed air capacity per setting.

No issues with the power window buttons... I could find the Pajero ones are too far forward? I guess it is what you are used to and I am pretty sure the Ranger will get more of your attention anyway and you will get used to it.

I am in the UK and trying to get a paint touch-up kit from Ford but not sure if they rename paints for different markets (but same colour). I have the Gunmetal Blue and the closest on the Ford Ranger UK list is Ocean Blue but it looks different on the colour swatch... and they didn't have anything on the forecourt in Ocean Blue at the dealership I checked!

The sales guy said that it is included in the VIN. I have that and found an online decoder that identifies the truck correctly but unless the colour coding is in the last 6 digits (assembly sequence number) then I can't see any colour identification there.

Apparently, there's a plate on the door frame (or around there) that has a list of double-digits and googling indicates that the 2 digits in the second-last row on the left-side of this label is the paint identifier. Anyone with a Gunmetal Blue Ranger care to check that out and post here or PM me, it would be much appreciated. I can get you a touch-up kit for your troubles!

Thanks,

NL

I am in the UK and trying to get a paint touch-up kit from Ford but not sure if they rename paints for different markets (but same colour). I have the Gunmetal Blue and the closest on the Ford Ranger UK list is Ocean Blue but it looks different on the colour swatch... and they didn't have anything on the forecourt in Ocean Blue at the dealership I checked!

The sales guy said that it is included in the VIN. I have that and found an online decoder that identifies the truck correctly but unless the colour coding is in the last 6 digits (assembly sequence number) then I can't see any colour identification there.

Apparently, there's a plate on the door frame (or around there) that has a list of double-digits and googling indicates that the 2 digits in the second-last row on the left-side of this label is the paint identifier. Anyone with a Gunmetal Blue Ranger care to check that out and post here or PM me, it would be much appreciated. I can get you a touch-up kit for your troubles!

Thanks,

NL

I'll have a look tomorrow, it's getting dark now.

And now the battery is dead! I recall a few reports of bad batteries on trucks assembled in Rayong and sold in the UK on the UK Ranger forums. Maybe some Ranger owners here have mentioned it as well.

My truck has been parked up for a week at my buddies house outside Pattaya and he just reported the battery is flat. He disconnected it and it's reading less than 4V so totally buggered. Since this is the second time it has gone totally flat in the past 6 months (came good after a 3-hour charge the last time), I am assuming I have a dud battery from new (delivered last April in Udon). Since I use it daily at home, I have never had the issue before. The longest it may not get started when I am home is maybe only 1-day so it only goes flat after several days.

My buddy will get it charged up and I will take it to Ford Pattaya and see if they will do a warranty battery change. I know tires and batteries are treated differently in vehicle warranties so not sure how Ford handles it. Anyone with their warranty book handy?

Thanks,

NL

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks,

NL

...what?..no flashlight?! tongue.pnglaugh.png

Thanks,

NL

Sundowners kicking in biggrin.png

Thanks,

NL

Sundowners kicking in biggrin.png

thumbsup.gif

Thanks,

NL

Paint code for gunmetal blue is 38L

According to here it's a Mazda colour.

This website lists the Ford colour codes. Ocean is 6DV.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

NL

Good stuff! I have noted that it is a colour shared and exactly same as some new BT-50's I have seen. Now I will visit a Mazda dealer or, failing that, just check out the paint racks at Halfords.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks,

NL

Good stuff! I have noted that it is a colour shared and exactly same as some new BT-50's I have seen. Now I will visit a Mazda dealer or, failing that, just check out the paint racks at Halfords.

Do you have a link to a website that will interpret your VIN? The one's I tried said it was invalid.

Was offered a new chilli 4WD 2.2 WT today from Chonburi Ford but seeing as I am going back to work next week we are still holding out for the 3.2 in April, with Ford's track record this is something I could come to regret......

It is your call but unless you are planning hauling boats and trailers, you don't really need all the extra horses from a 3.2. If you need the cache of the 4x4 when tooling around Pattaya-Jomtien and want it now, I would forget the big mill and take the 2.2 WT 4x4 that they are offering. Save some dosh (including fuel costs) and get on the road now.... unless they have sold it already. My experience on passing on Rangers that suddenly come available is you don't get a second chance.

Edited by NanLaew

Was offered a new chilli 4WD 2.2 WT today from Chonburi Ford but seeing as I am going back to work next week we are still holding out for the 3.2 in April, with Ford's track record this is something I could come to regret......

It is your call but unless you are planning hauling boats and trailers, you don't really need all the extra horses from a 3.2. If you need the cache of the 4x4 when tooling around Pattaya-Jomtien and want it now, I would forget the big mill and take the 2.2 WT 4x4 that they are offering. Save some dosh (including fuel costs) and get on the road now.... unless they have sold it already. My experience on passing on Rangers that suddenly come available is you don't get a second chance.

No we have waited a long time for it and a bit longer wont kill me, it isnt just the engine it is the safety aspects, cameras, sensors, alarm, bigger wheels and all the rest, when we ordered it was only something like 80k baht more than the 2,2 4x4 if I remember correctly and we are still paying the original price which is now only 20k baht more than the 2.2 4x4 today

I have a 2,5 WT now and that is nippy enough but I do not want to go for 2.2 this time, I believe it is always worth having a few extra horses on these roads plus if it isnt delivered in April I will get my insurance and tax paid by Ford saving about another 25k baht for me as well when/if it does eventually turn up, time will tell...

No we have waited a long time for it and a bit longer wont kill me, it isnt just the engine it is the safety aspects, cameras, sensors, alarm, bigger wheels and all the rest, when we ordered it was only something like 80k baht more than the 2,2 4x4 if I remember correctly and we are still paying the original price which is now only 20k baht more than the 2.2 4x4 today

I have a 2,5 WT now and that is nippy enough but I do not want to go for 2.2 this time, I believe it is always worth having a few extra horses on these roads plus if it isnt delivered in April I will get my insurance and tax paid by Ford saving about another 25k baht for me as well when/if it does eventually turn up, time will tell...

Cool,you'll have it just in time for Songkran, with kids throwing everything at it!

The 2.2 is more than enough for me and I use mine on and off the roads. Although I must say that having had a drive of my mates 3.2 it is like shit off a shovel so I'm sure you'll love it. The prices when I ordered (at the start) from my recollection the 2.2 WT 4x4 was 969,000 Baht and 3.2 WT 4x4 was 1,069,000 Baht originally.

By the time I factor in the approximate 94,000 Baht first car tax rebate, I will have paid 875,000 Baht for my WT 2.2 4x4; which is 144,000 Baht cheaper than the current price (1,019,000 Baht) and 224,000 Baht cheaper than the current price of the 3.2L WT (1,099,000 Baht). To put this into context, based upon a price of 40 Baht per bottle of Leo Beer and an approximate 500 Baht per happy ending, I could afford to drink 2.8 Bottles per day free and also have a smile on my face every day for a year. Pie chart/graphical analysis to follow :)

Ford, feel the difference.

It was 1,040,000 for the 3.2 when we ordered it and that is what we will pay if it ever turns up....mate it sounds like you got a bargain I am a chang man myself so I reckon had I gone the same route as you I too would have a big shit eating grin on my face, we were not eligible for the 1st car rebate so that was not an option for us hence the big toy, really good to hear mostly positive or very positive reports hence why I spat my dummy in February but I know I would regret not waiting the final frustrating few weeks to get what I really want

Ungabunga, how did the 2.2 and 3.2 compare? I have never driven a 2.2 or 3.2 Auto only a Mazda 2.2 Manual so I would be very intrested to hear what the main differences where for you, come to think of it I have also never had a look around the 3.2 yet or seen how the camera and sensors and other toys work it would be good to hear what you thought....

Ungabunga, how did the 2.2 and 3.2 compare? I have never driven a 2.2 or 3.2 Auto only a Mazda 2.2 Manual so I would be very intrested to hear what the main differences where for you, come to think of it I have also never had a look around the 3.2 yet or seen how the camera and sensors and other toys work it would be good to hear what you thought....

Only took the 3.2 for a spin along a back road and I promised the owner that I would be gentle with his new truck (who understandably insisted he come along), so not much chance to explore it fully unfortunately. The ride was basically the same but most noticeable difference was acceleration that had back of my head pinned to the headrest. It's quick. The rear mirror/camera system is neatly done and works well although the display is a bit on the small side for my dodgy eyes but I think that its certainly nice to have, as are the sensors which are essential for someone like me who hadn't driven a truck of this size before, very pleased I had them fitted. You'll have more offroading capability with hill descent and the likes, but not sure how often that would get used. Cooled center console, dual a/c and smart 18" alloy wheels (which incidentally you'd get about 34,000 Baht for if you wanted to trade in with less than 1000 kms) are all good.

PS I find the Bluetooth pairing excellent and steering wheel based controls and voice recognition are great to play around with. USB slot to play your music from gets used daily too. I still havent figured out the voice commands fully yet, so I'll wait for you to give me some tips! Or if you're in the Pattaya area you're welcome to get in touch and we can try and arrange a "test drive" of my pal's 3.2

Roll on April :)

Only took the 3.2 for a spin along a back road and I promised the owner that I would be gentle with his new truck (who understandably insisted he come along), so not much chance to explore it fully unfortunately. The ride was basically the same but most noticeable difference was acceleration that had back of my head pinned to the headrest. It's quick. The rear mirror/camera system is neatly done and works well although the display is a bit on the small side for my dodgy eyes but I think that its certainly nice to have, as are the sensors which are essential for someone like me who hadn't driven a truck of this size before, very pleased I had them fitted. You'll have more offroading capability with hill descent and the likes, but not sure how often that would get used. Cooled center console, dual a/c and smart 18" alloy wheels (which incidentally you'd get about 34,000 Baht for if you wanted to trade in with less than 1000 kms) are all good.

PS I find the Bluetooth pairing excellent and steering wheel based controls and voice recognition are great to play around with. USB slot to play your music from gets used daily too. I still havent figured out the voice commands fully yet, so I'll wait for you to give me some tips! Or if you're in the Pattaya area you're welcome to get in touch and we can try and arrange a "test drive" of my pal's 3.2

Roll on April smile.png

...are you sure,that they give 34K trade in?....I was offered 16K for the 17" wheels off 2.2L...sad.png

Roll on April smile.png

Your mates 3.2 isnt chilli orange with black after market wheels is it? If it is it is a really nice looking truck and the whole reason we are looking at getting after market wheels aswell they really looked good on the chilli orange we saw in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago

Dont know what I did then, all I wanted to ask was if your mates 3.2 is a chilli orange one with black after market wheels? if it is it is a nice looking truck and the reason we are looking at getting some after market wheels fitted as well as the black wheels looked awesome

FYI - i put a deposit down on 2.2 WT 2 door start Jan and was told delivery in June / July, got it the other day ( this is Ford Pattaya ).

Has anyone put on a set of 20" rims?

I saw a nice WT with 285/65/18's on and it look nice, i was just wondering is you could squeeze on a set of 20's with keeping the same profile 65's?

Ungabunga,

Where did you trade in your stock rims, at Ford?

Thanks.

110,000 more than I will be paying for mine....

You're paying 620K for a T6 XLT hi-rider 2.2L 6AT?!?

If yes, you might want to check for blood stains and shoddy repairs.. wink.png

Nope my new 3.2 at 1,040,000 not the one advertised at 1,149,000.....

looks like a few quick bucks to made here if you had the foresight to order a couple at the begining

Edited by mark131v