Overstay

I came thru the airport tonight and had a 3 day overstay to pay. There was another guy there who had a 22 day overstay but did not have the money to pay, the immigration guy got fed up with the guys lack of English / Thai and stood up to go and cancel the guys flight.

What happens when you cannot pay the overstay? Where do they take you and for how do they resolve the problem? wait for a family member or friend to get you the money?

JH

I guess you wait in the Immigration Detention Centre. Not a five star hotel by all accounts.

Oh dear....... not a good last impression of LOS i'd imagine!

JH

You'd have to be pretty dumb to turn up on overstay without the cash to pay the fine though.

As above. He will be in the Immigration detention centre where he will stay till he can pay the overstay and provide a ticket out of Thailand. Not a nice situation to be in for the sake of a few thousand baht.

I'm presuming he thought they would just let him fly out without paying it ? :huh:

Either you pay or you are detained and be brought before a judge. The judge than determines the fine, which is often lower than the fine immigration ask. (But who want to mis his flight and spend some time in jail till he sees the judge). Than you pay the fine and if you still can't pay you do time instead of the fine.

Of course one would also need to get a new ticket, unless the airline is being friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

As above. He will be in the Immigration detention centre where he will stay till he can pay the overstay and provide a ticket out of Thailand. Not a nice situation to be in for the sake of a few thousand baht.

I'm presuming he thought they would just let him fly out without paying it ? :huh:

That's an uneasy feeling. I really can't imagine anyone that naive and certainly unprepared when knowing they are overstayed.