I'M Looking For A Rav Or Vitara

ChiangMaiFun

Man would have loved to sell you our old Vitara - it was a POS.

The air con worked - but only when it was not too hot. Stranded us at least twice, and had to be towed all the way across the mountains from Pai to CM once.

Developed engine problems and blew the caskets. Very expensive to maintain, this car... and totally overpriced for what it is IMO. Maybe ours was just in bad shape, I don't know.

CRV would be my recommendation.

We have a Fortuna (as they're lovingly called on the TV forums) - rather big for the city it has to be said, but being a Toyota it's never had any issues. For 5 years now. It's still a really nice car. And there was no redesign so it even looks pretty much the same as the brand new model... new CRV is much prettier though, at least IMO.

The quality problems mentioned above - was that the new design CRV, or an older one? Kind of surprising to hear of quality issues as Honda has a pretty good reputation?! Maybe the Thai built ones don't?

The MkII CRV's had a bad reputation when they came out. They sold so well the build quality suffered. Mine had issues with front shocks that after 5 years and 5 sets of front shocks and experts from Bangkok they could not solve. You could never trust anything Honda told you and in the end their website returned all emails as undeliverable. There was a famous case in Bangkok where one womans car spent most of the first 6 months in the garage for repair. What we would call a ''lemon'', Honda refused to refund her money so she had the TV companies waiting outside Honda in Bangkok whilst she drove the car through their front wall. She had her money back the same day. The same car built in other countries did not have these problems. I do not know what the new one is like but if I remember right Honda threatened to pull out of Thailand if things did not improve. All the mkII CRV's around now should have their problems sorted (?) 3 years ago I bought the same as you, a Fortuner, no problems so far and it is much better (and forgiving of mistakes) at cornering than the MKII CRV!

Yeah I remember that woman. Or maybe it was a different once? She parked outside the dealership in BKK, and started to smash up her own car with a baseball bat in front of TV cameras! Marriage material!! :)

A 2001 Mk2 Rav4 for sale @ 1.2 million, or something Thai built Brand new/Year old like a CRV/Fortuna

Madness - didn't think it was _that_ bad. $40k for a 10 year old car that's worth $25k to begin with?! Jeez.

http://www.one2car.c...V%204/A20110648 :rolleyes::D

Those RAVs are gorgeous - I drove one in England - so crazy they don't sell them new here so much better than those 'yanks' called Fortunas - hate them - big, lumbering things

the Nissans too big - so is the CRV.

Just to re-cap - I'm looking for a short 4x4 - I think it still come downs to the older Vitara or the Mitsubishi Pijaro

Has it got to be 4x4 ?

Nissan Cube from around 600k lots here, also they do a 4x4 but expensive in 4x4 trim..

Toyota Bb same sort of thing, around 650k lots here but no 4x4

Toyota Sparky, is rather narrow but same sort of boxy shape

DAIHATSU - TANTO same sort of shape size and price.

PROTON - PERODUA KEMBARA lots here + is 4x4 year 2004 - 2008.. 230 - 400k

Suzuki S4 Brand new just under 800k no 4x4 imported, but they do make them in 4x4

There are others but not many about so not listed.

Just to re-cap - I'm looking for a short 4x4 - I think it still come downs to the older Vitara or the Mitsubishi Pijaro

Has it got to be 4x4 ?

Nissan Cube from around 600k lots here, also they do a 4x4 but expensive in 4x4 trim..

Suzuki S4 Brand new just under 800k no 4x4 imported, but they do make them in 4x4

I guess it doesn't have to be a 4x4 but i was planning to do some long trips which may involve some mountain driving - are the vehicles you mention shorter than the CRV or Fortuna? this is more important to me than 4x4

Has it got to be 4x4 ?

I have looked at the Daihatsu Tanto and Nissan Cube but they are a long way off what I'm looking for - the old Vitara or the Mitsubushi Pajaro fits the bill!

I have looked at the Daihatsu Tanto and Nissan Cube but they are a long way off what I'm looking for - the old Vitara or the Mitsubushi Pajaro fits the bill!

PROTON - PERODUA KEMBARA 1.3 engine baby 4x4. Auto or manual upto 2007, lots about

post-42643-0-99189000-1301819751_thumb.j

PROTON - PERODUA KEMBARA 1.6 engine baby 4x4. Auto or manual from 2007 to date

post-42643-0-47117100-1301819893_thumb.j

Suzuki SX4 Picture new in Thailand last year 1.6 Auto.... See Suzuki website

post-42643-0-12416300-1301820100_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

Just a few words of warning.

About 10 years ago similar sorts of vehicles were banned from the UK and some other European countries.

This was because these vehicles had a balance problem and if taking a corner or bend too sharply were inclined to topple over. Certainly worthwhile doing such research first before making up your mind to purchase one of these vehicle's.

http://www.dailymail...s-overturn.html

The Samurai, it was slow as molasses, grossly unsafe, but was in essence a peasants G-class Mercedes or D-90. After all the bad media about Samurais rolling over etc.. and being a small company I think most Americans just brushed this brand under the rug.

post-110219-0-81704600-1301847385_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Daihatsu Terios and the Toyota Rush, friend has one a automatic, its an older one with the old 1.3 engine, would say it has a lot of engine noise at all speeds, both newer ones have the same VVT-i engine and look the same

post-42643-0-94690000-1301877553_thumb.j

Both here but in very small numbers, unlike near same looking Proton 4x4

Not sure if the new baby 4x4 Toyota due this year will be imported into Thailand, maybe as a re badged Daihatsu

ok update - there are NO Mitsubishi 'new' Pajeros of the type we have discussed in Thailand - the one saying 2010 was actually manufactured in 2005 but registered in Thailand in 2010 and it costs 728,000 THB.

I think I am only going to find what I want down in BKK so I will try and source a few and go buy one and drive it back