Thai Navy Rescues Hundreds Of Stranded Tourists

webfact

Thai Navy rescues hundreds of stranded holiday-makers

BANGKOK, March 31 – Thailand’s sole aircraft carrier HTMS Chakri Naruebet carrying 753 tourists, including 551 foreign visitors from Tao Island in Surat Thani province to safety docked at the Sattahip naval base in the eastern province of Chonburi Thursday as Thailand's flood crisis took its toll on the southern provinces leaving at least 20 people dead.

Meanwhile, HTMS Chao Phraya is enroute to Sattahip naval base carrying another 500 tourists from the southern island. The navy’s other frigates are continue on the high seas to help tourists left stranded on other southern islands.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand helped locate accommodation for foreign tourists who cannot fly home at the moment and helped reschedule flights for some others.

Thai Airways International and Bangkok Airways flights to Samui Island are again operational with good visibility at Samui Airport.

Special flights are also being offered to collect stranded tourists. Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, visiting Surat Thani on Thursday, said ferries to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan had also resumed service.

However, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) announced it had still suspended southern line train service as portions of the tracks remain under floodwaters, and some are damaged by flooding.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Thursday visited southern province of Krabi, which was hard hit by mudslide on Wednesday.

The prime minister was briefed by Krabi Governor Prasit Osathanon on the latest situation, reporting five deaths in the province. Twenty injured persons were released from hospital while 16 others remained hospitalised.

Bantonharn in Krabi’s Khao Phanom district was hit by flood and mudslide on Wednesday. Four people were killed and several remain missing.

His Majesty King Bhumibol provided 200 relief supplies to villagers and they were distributed to villagers at the evacuation centre by the army chief.

Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam also visited residents, saying 20,000 baht will be allocated to each owner of the partly-destroyed houses and 30,000 baht for each owner whose house is completely destroyed. The injured and families of person killed will receive 50,000 baht.

The National Flood Relief Coordination Center expected continuous rain, which ravaged Thailand’s eight southern provinces to stop on April 3 while the centre to help tourists, stranded and evacuated from southern islands has been set up.

Centre deputy director Vittayen Muttamara said the flood situation in the South eased at some certain extent due to less rainfall but the centre designated three red zones to evacuate people at Banplusompan in Phuket, Banwanglung in Nakhon Si Thammarat and Bansrabua in Surat Thani.

The budget to compensate flood victims will be decided by the Cabinet next week but the number of now affected households is estimated at about 250,000 households.

Satit Wongnongtoey, PM’s Office minister said in his capacity of chairman of the committee to follow up assistance to flood victims said he will convene a meeting on Friday to assess the compensation money of each household at 5,000 baht and additional assistance measures before proposing it to the Cabinet on Monday.

Mr Satit said the flood situation in the South is still worrisome. Three villages in Nakhon Si Thammarat have been cut from the outside world for about six days. Three helicopters have been sent to help locals but the bad weather obstructed operations, so soldiers will bring relief supplies to help them by foot. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-03-31

I´ve read a couple of topics regarding Thailand´s inefficiency on how they operate and run things. But I am so amazed and honored and proud of the Thai Royal Navy.

It´s a huge operation that they are involved in. :jap:

Hats off to the Navy as this was apparently a very succesfful Operation..

Still doesn't mean that on the whole, organisation & operation on running lots of things, isn't appaling though..

I´ve read a couple of topics regarding Thailand´s inefficiency on how they operate and run things. But I am so amazed and honored and proud of the Thai Royal Navy.

Still doesn't mean that on the whole, organisation & operation on running lots of things, isn't appaling though..

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Due to unprecedented weather conditions, Koh Tao was running out of food and water. Boats could not deliver supplies to the island. Tourists were suffering hardship because of these shortages. The Thai navy took these tourists and placed them where they could get food and water!

Well done to the Thai navy.

Where is the appaling thing?

No one expects 413 mm of rain in a day and to see seas of over 3 meter swells in late March/early April. Feries could not deliver - food ran out - people were taken off the island. End of a good story - no one died.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Due to unprecedented weather conditions, Koh Tao was running out of food and water. Boats could not deliver supplies to the island. Tourists were suffering hardship because of these shortages. The Thai navy took these tourists and placed them where they could get food and water!

No one expects 413 mm of rain in a day and to see seas of over 3 meter swells in late March/early April. Feries could not deliver - food ran out - people were taken off the island. End of a good story - no one died.

Maybe you should re read my Post then, it's in perfect English..

Thai Navy did a nice job getting people off of the island yesterday.

Here is a clip from the operation - filmed on-site.

Nice video. Kinda wish I was there, not many chances for a civilian to ride on a landing ship to a carrier :lol:

Great job Navy!

I did hear from a friend who was on the boat ( i refrain from using ship/aircraftcarrier intentionally) that the tourists where being charged 500baht per head for the trip.

Please tell that you are joking.

Hey but lets not miss a chance to make some tea money.

jb1

I did hear from a friend who was on the boat ( i refrain from using ship/aircraftcarrier intentionally) that the tourists where being charged 500baht per head for the trip.

Please tell that you are joking.

Hey but lets not miss a chance to make some tea money.

jb1

there was no charge for this boat. Some people on the boat had originally bought ferry tickets.

they planned to take all who wanted to leave - there was enough room - but the weather did not cooperate and some people could not get on the boat Wednesday.

Perfect English, eh Singhy? If you discount spelling mistakes, spurious capitalisations and fragmented sentences then I guess you are right :lol:

Perfect English, eh Singhy? If you discount spelling mistakes, spurious capitalisations and fragmented sentences then I guess you are right :lol:

Nice to the English police are out in force...:lol:

but all Farang had to sign the Thai Official Secrets Act before they were allowed to see the inside of the aircraft carrier with its high tech weapons.

and promise to forget what they saw....

Edited by bangon04

but all Farang had to sign the Thai Official Secrets Act before they were allowed to see the inside of the aircraft carrier with its high tech weapons.

There are no hi tech weapons, just junk....and it's the pride of the Thai navy.

Take a look at the Sattahip fleet..a tour can be fairly easily organise.I went with my uncle a former Australian navy officer.He thought the technology was about 50 years old, totally useless in combat.He actually wondered whether the vessels were sea worthy.

I'm glad the navy was able to help out in saving lives.However this can't obscure the harsh reality of what the Thai navy really is.

Take a look at the Sattahip fleet..a tour can be fairly easily organise.I went with my uncle a former Australian navy officer.He thought the technology was about 50 years old, totally useless in combat.He actually wondered whether the vessels were sea worthy.

I'm glad the navy was able to help out in saving lives.However this can't obscure the harsh reality of what the Thai navy really is.

:cheesy:

Broken down old farangs who have no idea what they are talking about like you are hilarious

Here are a few people rescued

http://www.thanonline.com/plugins/content/jumultithumb/Li4vLi4vLi4vaW1hZ2VzL3N0b3JpZXMvYXJ0aWNsZTIwMTEvcGhvdG8vNTQtMDMtMTUvYm9hdDcuanBnJmFtcDt3PTgwMCZhbXA7aD01MDAmYW1wO3E9MTAw.jpg

Suppose it did a fine job (as a one off) But what about it's capability to defend it'self, sophisticated secret ship to air missiles?- a sore thumb and brilliant target for any modern attack.

The scrap German submarines to knockout newish subs ? old guarding old.

All these toys have to be maintained with education and hospital funds, oh well we have half a dozen griffen jets to help us along the way. I wouldn't buy a 30 year old car, if it was second hand it would be newish or not bother.

Edited by ginjag

Broken down old farangs who have no idea what they are talking about like you are hilarious

I have clearly struck a nerve hence your childish insult.

I have already said the rescue is to be welcomed.It doesn't alter the fact that the Thai navy has largely useless and outmoded assets.

I have clearly struck a nerve hence your childish insult.

I have already said the rescue is to be welcomed.It doesn't alter the fact that the Thai navy has largely useless and outmoded assets.

DP25, just a question, if you were in charge of the Thai navy would you have bought an scrap aircraft carrier, and 6 x30 year old submarines, if so you would be classified. period