Bangkok Phuket Hospital

kenny999

Have just looked at my bill from this hospital which came to just over 4000 bht I just could not believe how much I was charged for the prescription medication, a whooping 2000 bht maybe the tablets are not available else where, my tablets are Myonal(50mg) enough for 1 week -1 per day.. ARCOXIA 90 mg enough for 1 week plus a few Biotril-S1500 sachets, this medicine is for the treatment of Arthritis.

Is this available outside at a greatly reduced cost?

These drugs are available at any pharmacy without prescription.

Costs would be a bit less if you stick to these brands, a great deal less in cases where there is a locally made generic equivalent.

Mylonar= eperisone, locally made brands include Espenal, Musolax and Ralexa. Whether it is really worth tasking is another question; it's a muscle relaxant. I'm not convinced these really do much. Should note that in Thailand there is a tendency to give multiple prescriptions and many Thais equate this with good care. Doctors assume this is what people want and that patients will be "offended" if not given many different pills to take. Plus, the private hospitals encourage the writing of as many scripts as possible for financial reasons. Not unusual to be given 3-4 drugs of which only one is really necessary. In fact, that's the norm. So always question the purpose and need for each item.

Biotril-S = glucosamione, available in multiple formulations. I'm not sure which would be the least expensive but maybe the GPO glucosamine sachets. Shop around. This one you may take indefinitely and it might thus be worth buying in bulk.

Arcoxia (etoricoxib) is available only under that brand name, will be the most expensive of the meds for you.

Be sure to read up on the contraindications, side effects and precuatiosn associated with Arcoxia. It has been associated with adverse cardiac events. Here's a useful site:

www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/1000004707.html

These drugs are available at any pharmacy without prescription.

Costs would be a bit less if you stick to these brands, a great deal less in cases where there is a locally made generic equivalent.

Mylonar= eperisone, locally made brands include Espenal, Musolax and Ralexa. Whether it is really worth tasking is another question; it's a muscle relaxant. I'm not convinced these really do much. Should note that in Thailand there is a tendency to give multiple prescriptions and many Thais equate this with good care. Doctors assume this is what people want and that patients will be "offended" if not given many different pills to take. Plus, the private hospitals encourage the writing of as many scripts as possible for financial reasons. Not unusual to be given 3-4 drugs of which only one is really necessary. In fact, that's the norm. So always question the purpose and need for each item.

Biotril-S = glucosamione, available in multiple formulations. I'm not sure which would be the least expensive but maybe the GPO glucosamine sachets. Shop around. This one you may take indefinitely and it might thus be worth buying in bulk.

Arcoxia (etoricoxib) is available only under that brand name, will be the most expensive of the meds for you.

Be sure to read up on the contraindications, side effects and precuatiosn associated with Arcoxia. It has been associated with adverse cardiac events. Here's a useful site:

www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/1000004707.html

Thanks I don't really want to take these tablets but will take what was given to me then no more, can you buy a neck coller outside of the hospital? if I can restrict the movement of my neck it is a lot better. can not believe how quick this has happened bloody getting older I suppose..