Who Uses The Thai Line At Immigration?

egg

l was just wondering , how many farang use the Thai passport line when leaving Thailand with their Thai family ? l have heard a couple of guys say they just walk thru with their wives no problem and quick,,, anyone have an experience doing that ??

cheers

egg

When coming in I always show my retirement visa to an Immigration Officer and ask politely (in Thai) if it would be possible to use the Thai channel. Until now, it always was :rolleyes: On departure, the success rate is about 80%...

When travelling together - yes.

In the same way that my wife is allowed to use the EU line in the UK when travelling with me.

In the EU, family members of EU citizens have the same rights as the EU citizen himself. I doubt this is the same thing in Thailand.

Anyway I use fasttrack immigration service only in BKK and could not imagine doing otherwise.

After the first time with Thai wife and (look kreung) child I assumed it was generally acceptable and have never asked or bowed and scraped - just walked on up with them. PS I'm not a rude person - just did not see the need!

In the EU, family members of EU citizens have the same rights as the EU citizen himself. I doubt this is the same thing in Thailand.

Anyway I use fasttrack immigration service only in BKK and could not imagine doing otherwise.

Sometimes the foreign lines are as quick at Heathrow these days!

Comment about fast track - bit precious aren't we?

^ I think you are right, as both names appear on the flight bookings; worked every time for us since being ushered to the Thai passports queue the first trip together.

Can be a huge timesaver.

Usually travel alone but I try to get on the foreign line closest to the Thai line cos when that one is empty they usually call me across.

Sometimes it works but sometimes the lazy buggers will just sit there chit chatting.:realangry:

When travelling with your Thai family (wife and/or kids) using the Thai passport line is no problem.

Don't forget the process for Thais is different than yours regarding the departure card. For them it works the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...

yes used it when with wife in BKK, always going into Uk i have to go through non EU with her, seems Birmingham are one of the few doing this as i have heard of others getting Thai wife through with them in EU line.

Comment about fast track - bit precious aren't we?

Savoir vivre mon cher, savoir vivre ! (Just joking)

yes used it when with wife in BKK, always going into Uk i have to go through non EU with her, seems Birmingham are one of the few doing this as i have heard of others getting Thai wife through with them in EU line.

If in the country of your citizenship EU/EEA rules are not correctly applied you may make a point of honour complaining formally regarding this if necessary with the European Commision. Especially the UK needs some teaching regarding EU/EEA rules for the benefit of all citizens.

Last November I was with 3 Thai colleagues and we were waved into that line. I decided to ask anyway and was told to go ahead. Coincidentally there were a couple Farangs in the line next to me with one or two Thais in their group. I got to the desk and everything was routine but a moment later the Farang in the line parallel to me was told he was in the wrong line by the officer at the desk. When the Farang patiently and politely tried to explain (in passable if not impressive Thai) that he was with Thai friends and couldn't he...he was told , no and when he -- still patient and polite but kind of annoying especially by Thai standards -- tried some more (the non-Thai line was MASSIVE) the officer went off. Gave him a severe boll_cking while he pointed to the sign. The highlight was when he said (In English, he refused to use Thai with the guy), "This is Thailand! Not your country."

Meanwhile the guy checking my passport never batted eye and moments after the other Farang was reminded where he was, my guy gave me back my passport and waved me through.

Last November I was with 3 Thai colleagues and we were waved into that line. I decided to ask anyway and was told to go ahead. Coincidentally there were a couple Farangs in the line next to me with one or two Thais in their group. I got to the desk and everything was routine but a moment later the Farang in the line parallel to me was told he was in the wrong line by the officer at the desk. When the Farang patiently and politely tried to explain (in passable if not impressive Thai) that he was with Thai friends and couldn't he...he was told , no and when he -- still patient and polite but kind of annoying especially by Thai standards -- tried some more (the non-Thai line was MASSIVE) the officer went off. Gave him a severe boll_cking while he pointed to the sign. The highlight was when he said (In English, he refused to use Thai with the guy), "This is Thailand! Not your country."

Meanwhile the guy checking my passport never batted eye and moments after the other Farang was reminded where he was, my guy gave me back my passport and waved me through.

he he.

I'm six foot one, don't particularly look Thai (spanish maybe) and have a Thai passport. Usually there isn't a problem though once or twice a kind lady will come my way and ask me to move to the 'others' line at which point I flash my passport or just say 'pben khon thai' sternly and she trots off after a nice apology.

One time I got a lady who was doing the stamping who was just yelling out (loudly to me) 'Thai pad-port on-lee, Thai pad-port on-lee'. I said nothing and kept my passport in my back pocket.

On and on it went till it was my turn to get stamped, when I handed over my passport I gave her a knowing look and a mischievous grin to which she got a bit embarrassed to say the least, but processed me anyway.

All quite fun for me to flummox people occasionally.

Went thru the Thai line with TW a couple of weeks ago, I guess the foreign cues were approx 12 persons (early morning, not many at all) were there were only 3 in front of us. Mistake, took forever! After we finally got through I asked TW about the chat she had with the officer, apparently he was apologising for taking so long, knackered nearing the end of a double shift! Wasn’t worried about me being there at all.

Leads me to believe that at least the powers to be are trying to overcome there problems by introducing overtime.

I did notice that the ‘Re entry Permit’ booth was open but no customers.

Always use the Thai Passport lane when with my family, going in and coming out. In fact as we usually have small children with us we are usually directed to one by the helpful groundstaff.

When travelling together - yes.

In the same way that my wife is allowed to use the EU line in the UK when travelling with me.

Last two times I went to the UK with my wife ( Thai passport ), she wasn't allowed to join me in the EU passport lane. First time we went we had our disabled daughter with us ( she has both Thai and British passports ). But no, it wasn't possible. No wonder I've only been there twice in 10 years.

This was the UK and not EU so say no more , other than it was Manchaster on both occassions and what a pile of sh*te it is too.

Edited by soihok

When travelling with your Thai family (wife and/or kids) using the Thai passport line is no problem.

Don't forget the process for Thais is different than yours regarding the departure card. For them it works the other way around.

I took my 18 year old brother in law with me to watch the MotoGP in Malaysia in 2009.

Very much a case of "...what's going on here then ? .." at immigration. Had to be interviewed before he was stamped out.

He did the explaining and I showed my marraige certificate ( to his big sister ). I think if it wasn't for producing the marraige certificate he probably wouldn't have been able to leave.

So glad he was as he witnessed Valentino Rossi win the world championship the next day :D

And we used the Thai Passport lane, going out and coming in.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes been using it every time I travel with my Thai wife in and out of Thailand.

Always ask first if it's ok to do so and never been knocked back yet in 8 years.

Same.

When travelling with my Thai wife we allways use the Thai line, never been a problem.

he he.

I'm six foot one, don't particularly look Thai (spanish maybe) and have a Thai passport. Usually there isn't a problem though once or twice a kind lady will come my way and ask me to move to the 'others' line at which point I flash my passport or just say 'pben khon thai' sternly and she trots off after a nice apology.

One time I got a lady who was doing the stamping who was just yelling out (loudly to me) 'Thai pad-port on-lee, Thai pad-port on-lee'. I said nothing and kept my passport in my back pocket.

On and on it went till it was my turn to get stamped, when I handed over my passport I gave her a knowing look and a mischievous grin to which she got a bit embarrassed to say the least, but processed me anyway.

All quite fun for me to flummox people occasionally.

Good stories. The main problem I get in the Thai queue, which I am entitled to use as a PR, is that other farangs often start queuing up behind me. Sometimes they get shooed away by the immigration officers and other times they let them through. Once I was in a hurry to catch a flight and an Indian guy was standing in the Thai queue in front of me. After a couple of minutes all his friends left the foreign queues to push in with him in front of me. Since I was in a hurry I pointed out to them they were not entitled to stand there, unless they were PRs. They ignored me but fortunately an immigration officer came up and unceremoniously booted them out of the queue.

• 2 weeks later...

It's gotten so bad that ANA has actually issued a travel notice for Suvarnabuhmi. What a lose of face.

"ANA Information

To Departing Passengers from Bangkok Suvarnabumi Airport

Severe congestion has occurred in passport control area of Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Moreover, due to renovation of immigration area from 18th May, it is expected extremely long lining up at passport control. ANA recommend passengers to finish check-in 2 hours earlier than the standard departure time and queue up immediately.

(The construction may continue until March 2012.)

Your understanding and cooperation are highly appreciated.

May 16th, 2011

All Nippon Airways Co., LTD."

Source: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/th/e/local/ana_info/notice110516/