Blah, Why Is Everything Transient, Im 'O'

Okay, so 13 months ago now I obtained my 1 year visa from the thai hull consulate in the UK. It was very easy indeed, they just wanted the money. I left Thailand a day before it expired gibing me the extra 3 months but now I have come to realise that getting another non immigrant 'O' visa is far from simple as it was a year ago. I am 23 years old and currently living in Hua Hin.

I have been a buddhist for over 2 years, before I had ever lived or been to Thailand so I COULD obtain an ED visa and become a monk, however I am not ready to make that major leap as of yet. The other possibilities are to marry a thai national, be involved with a volunteering charity or to have a job and get a 'B' visa. My Girlfriend has recently got a new job, (she is a thai national) she works in a restaurant that her friends mum owns, I could possible work there myself. How would I go about obtaining a work permit and B visa if this would be the case?

My second question is this, if it has to come to it, what would be the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to marry my girlfriend here in Thailand. I have until the end of may until I have to get my ass out of here.

My last question is, does anybody know any good volunteering charities in Hua Hin?

Responses with help to my 3 questions in detail would be greatly appreciated as time is running out! Thanks a lot, tom

Have a happy songkran everybody :P

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think there will be a problem getting a new type O from Hull?

Because things have changed, I have read a lot up on the matter and you cannot simply say you are visiting friends or wanting to stay as a tourist for a year. I am wrong here in thinking that?

1st question - Next no chance getting a work permit for a restaurant, minimum income of 40,000 or 50,000 2 million baht capital etc etc etc so much paperwork - so you'll prob have to rule this option out.

2nd question - Very easy to get married, you can get an agent to organise all the paperwork for you, but it will cost about 10,000 approx. Or do it your self, go the the British Embassy, fill out an afermation of freedom to marry form, pay about 3,000 not sure check website, next day get form signed by vice consul, go to the ministry of foreign affairs, get it translated, then the translation approved. Pay for express and arrive in the morning, go to the closest Amphoe office pay the official 30 baht fee if memory recalls me correct, and pay the corrupt witnesses 500+, job done your married.

3rd question - No iead sorry

All the best hope this helps

Because things have changed, I have read a lot up on the matter and you cannot simply say you are visiting friends or wanting to stay as a tourist for a year. I am wrong here in thinking that?

My understanding is that the consulate will accept a copy of rental agreement to support the application.

They don't seem to know from the last I have seen posted. Residence seems to be an option but nobody sure what proves it. Otherwise the normal marriage/retirement/volunteer and such.

Looks like I am getting married then.. What I think I will do is, go back to the UK when my visa has fully expired and make an attempt at getting another visa without being married. If it works it works, fair enough, you never know... If it does not work, then I will return as scheduled 2 weeks after leaving thailand and enter as a tourist so I will have 30 days? Then use those 30 days to get married. But if I do that, could I obtain a non immigrant 'O' in thailand, or would I have to go to Penang or somewhere like that...

A well written letter from a real company saying that they will be using you to come and go from Thailand sourcing materials outside of Thailand (implying that you do not in fact work IN Thailand) and have a valid reason for a multiple-entry non-B might be just fine. I am not suggesting that you lie or defraud anyone :)

R Visa - Missionary Work... or how about the ED visa and sign up at a langauge school to learn Thai...

getting married just to stay here is madness in the extreme....

Or how about getting a proper job in the UK and gather some funds to come back on a more ligitimate cause....

Getting married is pretty dam_n extreme in this circumstance. What would missionary work entail? I can speak fairly okay thai already so it would not be so alien to sign up at a language school. Do you have any idea of the price range of such schools? I am not staying in the UK for longer than 2 weeks if I can help it, I am so sick of that place TBH

Hmmmm, that is quite an interesting and tactful idea with regards to the materials in and out of thailand, but it is still after all a 'might work'. If I am married then it is a sure thing. But then again, that is hassle, money and forcing the notion of marriage.. Blah, I repeat, Blah!

They don't seem to know from the last I have seen posted. Residence seems to be an option but nobody sure what proves it. Otherwise the normal marriage/retirement/volunteer and such.

Looks like I am getting married then.. What I think I will do is, go back to the UK when my visa has fully expired and make an attempt at getting another visa without being married. If it works it works, fair enough, you never know... If it does not work, then I will return as scheduled 2 weeks after leaving thailand and enter as a tourist so I will have 30 days? Then use those 30 days to get married. But if I do that, could I obtain a non immigrant 'O' in thailand, or would I have to go to Penang or somewhere like that...

You can obtain a Non O in Thailand, do you have a joint bank account with your girlfriend or a joint rental agreement, I say this because a newly wed couple then wanting to change to a Non O in Thailand will ring alarm bells with immigration, and they will want to see proof of a sustained relationship, eg a letter from the head of her home town, or something to that effect, there is no time limit as to the time together but use your common sense. Get married in say May, and apply in July might be too soon, but depends on the immigration officer, all convertions of this type have to be approved in Bangkok, and you will need to show 400,000 in a Thai bank account for 2months on the 1st occasion.

Getting married is pretty dam_n extreme in this circumstance. What would missionary work entail? I can speak fairly okay thai already so it would not be so alien to sign up at a language school. Do you have any idea of the price range of such schools? I am not staying in the UK for longer than 2 weeks if I can help it, I am so sick of that place TBH

Hmmmm, that is quite an interesting and tactful idea with regards to the materials in and out of thailand, but it is still after all a 'might work'. If I am married then it is a sure thing. But then again, that is hassle, money and forcing the notion of marriage.. Blah, I repeat, Blah!

Forum sponsors (like Sunbelt) help people arrange non-imm-b multis quite often, You might ask them on what basis, but I know I have gotten one from Perth (now closed) based upon exploring business possibilities.

If a school is listed with the MoE you can study dam_n near anything. It doesn't have to be Thai. More forum sponsors like Walen do the Thai classes. They used to be about 28k for a year's worth of classes. You must attend classes but the minimum hours per week are about 4 I think.

''You can obtain a Non O in Thailand, do you have a joint bank account with your girlfriend or a joint rental agreement, I say this because a newly wed couple then wanting to change to a Non O in Thailand will ring alarm bells with immigration, and they will want to see proof of a sustained relationship, eg a letter from the head of her home town, or something to that effect, there is no time limit as to the time together but use your common sense. Get married in say May, and apply in July might be too soon, but depends on the immigration officer, all convertions of this type have to be approved in Bangkok, and you will need to show 400,000 in a Thai bank account for 2months on the 1st occasion.''

We do not have a joint bank account no or a joint rental agreement. I already have a non O, I just want another one and in the last year things have changed with the old immigration people. Even if I am married, I still need 400K baht to get a non immigrant O visa?

If applying for change of visa in Thailand, yes 100% need 400,000 baht in the bank, but you won't need to do visa runs, just report every 90 days, another option would be to fly to KL or Penang and get a multiple there you will need to show 100,000 baht, copy wifes id card in new name, blue house book & letter inviting you to come to Thailand, then you will get the same visa you have now 1yr multi O and have to do border runs.

We do not have a joint bank account no or a joint rental agreement. I already have a non O, I just want another one and in the last year things have changed with the old immigration people. Even if I am married, I still need 400K baht to get a non immigrant O visa?

No, you would need the 400k for an annual extension of stay from Immigration.

''You can obtain a Non O in Thailand, do you have a joint bank account with your girlfriend or a joint rental agreement, I say this because a newly wed couple then wanting to change to a Non O in Thailand will ring alarm bells with immigration, and they will want to see proof of a sustained relationship, eg a letter from the head of her home town, or something to that effect, there is no time limit as to the time together but use your common sense. Get married in say May, and apply in July might be too soon, but depends on the immigration officer, all convertions of this type have to be approved in Bangkok, and you will need to show 400,000 in a Thai bank account for 2months on the 1st occasion.''

Well I suggest you open a joint account now, and just pay in a token amount now and then, it will help for so much in the future, I opened a joint account with my girlfriend at the time after we knew eachother for about 2 months, we used it so save joint money, I came in handy when we needed to prove our relationship for a visa for Australia, we got the visa in 2 days.

You can obtain a Non O in Thailand, do you have a joint bank account with your girlfriend or a joint rental agreement, I say this because a newly wed couple then wanting to change to a Non O in Thailand will ring alarm bells with immigration, and they will want to see proof of a sustained relationship, eg a letter from the head of her home town, or something to that effect, there is no time limit as to the time together but use your common sense. Get married in say May, and apply in July might be too soon, but depends on the immigration officer, all convertions of this type have to be approved in Bangkok, and you will need to show 400,000 in a Thai bank account for 2months on the 1st occasion.

Immigration always wants to see proof if the marriage is real and not only on paper. Being just married is no problem.

Immigration always wants to see proof if the marriage is real and not only on paper. Being just married is no problem.

I disagree I think it might be a problem, as the op has nothing showing he has had any relation to this girl.

Thank you for the help guys. I am still uncertain on what to do exactly, but I have to do something fast. I really do not wish to live in the UK for my own personal reasons, (there are many). The ED visa sounds okay, I shall look into that. Getting married is pretty extreme, but it may be the easiest way to do so go forth.

My understanding is that the consulate will accept a copy of rental agreement to support the application.

They are now asking for "residency permit for Thailand." They originally told me a rental agreement would be ok bu that was before the new form dated 9/3/2011.

They are now asking for "residency permit for Thailand." They originally told me a rental agreement would be ok bu that was before the new form dated 9/3/2011.

So buying a cheap condo, thereby getting you a 'certificate of residence,' may be a lot wiser and, in the long run, possibly cheaper than marrying.

I disagree I think it might be a problem, as the op has nothing showing he has had any relation to this girl.

You show some pictures of the wedding and they either do an interview at home and/or check with the neighbours. Who generally will have been present at the wedding or at least can confirm they just moved in together.

They will certainly not be the first pesons applying after just being married.

lol, well buying a condo is pretty much not a reality, I am only 23 and have been staying in guest houses... The wedding would not be a party or huge celebration, just paper work if it has to be that way. I am considering the ED visa the more I contemplate it. Does anybody have any good schools or courses in Hua Hin by any chance... Again, thanks for all of your replies :D

It is foreign governments that have that outlook. Thailand only cares that there is an official marriage certificate and you are living together as a married couple.

Ed visa sounds like the best option for you. Although you're not on as shorter time frame as what you think, nothing really to stop you getting a standard 60 day tourist visa is there? Which will give you a bit of time up your sleeve to sort out the Thai language school etc.

lol, well buying a condo is pretty much not a reality, I am only 23 and have been staying in guest houses... The wedding would not be a party or huge celebration, just paper work if it has to be that way. I am considering the ED visa the more I contemplate it. Does anybody have any good schools or courses in Hua Hin by any chance... Again, thanks for all of your replies :D

Point taken, but definitely do not get married just to stay here! It could lead to all sorts of problems which, maybe after being here a while, you'll understand.

An ED visa has got to be the answer for you. Google must be able tyo find something in Hua Hin.

Chok dee :jap: