Blah, Why Is Everything Transient, Im 'O'

a 60 day visa? you mean an extension..? How much is that and I guess you can obtain it in thailand? I am curious to know what other courses you can take aside from learning how to speak thai... If anybody on this board is staying in Hua Hin and can shed some light, please private message me or post it here, thanks :)

Yea, the ED visa does seem like the best option.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 60 day visa? you mean an extension..? How much is that and I guess you can obtain it in thailand? I am curious to know what other courses you can take aside from learning how to speak thai... If anybody on this board is staying in Hua Hin and can shed some light, please private message me or post it here, thanks :)

No, he is talking about a Tourist Visa obtained at a Consulate outside of Thailand, entry good for 60 days and can be extended for 30 days for 1900 Baht.

Edited by beechguy

No you can get a double entry Tourist visa (from outside Thailand) giving you 60 days and then extend it when inside.

But you really want a multi O don't you. Apart from - or as well as - studying Thai you can also study Muay Thai boxing at various places around Thailand, even Hua Hin.

Study Muay thai you say, hmmm lol. Interesting. And that would make me legible for an ED visa..?? Yes, thank you everyone, the ED visa seems to be the way for me. In hua hin there is a company which I have passed so many times, TLC (which ironically enough is my initials) and I have emailed them about course prices. On their website they state that if you enroll, you will be okay for an ED visa.

Would I still have to return home for this though??

To get the extension of stay the school must be registered with the MoE (most Muay Thai schools are not). Languages, university, (there are 2 in the area with English language programs -- one is only English) but they are more expensive than a Thai course.

Study Muay thai you say, hmmm lol. Interesting. And that would make me legible for an ED visa..?? Yes, thank you everyone, the ED visa seems to be the way for me. In hua hin there is a company which I have passed so many times, TLC (which ironically enough is my initials) and I have emailed them about course prices. On their website they state that if you enroll, you will be okay for an ED visa.

Would I still have to return home for this though??

You will likely have to leave the country and go to some place like Singapore where you will probably be issued a single-entry non-imm-ed. That will then be extended in Thailand every 90 days while you are actively studying.

plus improving on my thai would be more beneficial, also as I am quite the buddhist and violence isn't something I often get involved with :P I have to say thank you guys again because I may have just gotten married next month without giving it a second thought...

Edited by TomTom55

What do you guys make of this??...

:: What Happens After I Get The Visa ?

After obtaining your non-immigrant ED Visa, the immigration officer at your point of entry will permit you to stay for 90 days. Then, with paperwork provided by The Learning Centre, you will be able to extend your stay every 90 days at the local immigration office.

After you make your entry on this visa and if you should wish to depart Thailand for a brief visit to another country, go to your local Thai Immigration Office and request a Re-Entry Permit (this is available as a single or multiple entry).

:: The ED Visa price consists of:

The Baht 24,900 Baht fee includes visa application documents, Extension of Stay documents, 180 hours of Thai language classes.

Stay Extension: This needs to be done before the expiry of the first 90 days granted to you on your arrival in Thailand. Cost Baht 1,900 payable to the Immigration Department.

:: Class and Study Time for One Year ?

180 lessons (each lesson is 50 minutes long)

You will need to study at least 4 lessons a week. Most students study two 2 hour lessons twice a week.

Private Lessons Study Options - Time to suit your individual needs.

:: Do You Guarantee the Issue of the ED Visa?

There are no guarantees in this World. However, our school is recognized by the Thai Ministry of Education as providing education to international students and promoting Thai language and culture. Should your visa be refused for any reason, we will make a full refund of monies paid less an Administration Fee of Baht 1,000 (we are happy to say as at this time we have never had to make a refund)

:: How Many years Can I Study at Your School?

As at this time, you can obtain one year extensions for up to 3 years. After your first year has expired and we will provide documents for you to extend your permission to stay.

:: Some Nationalities must apply for the Visa in their home Country

Nationals from India, China, Pakistan and Middle-East Countries need to go to their home country to apply for the Ed visa. We will have the documents issued for your to take to your local Thai Consulate.

** Processing by the Education Department normally takes 2-3 weeks. If your present stay date is less than 10 days, it will need to be processed on an express basis, which incurs additional costs. We charge a fee of Baht 2,000 to have such applications processed.

They are now asking for "residency permit for Thailand." They originally told me a rental agreement would be ok bu that was before the new form dated 9/3/2011.

So buying a cheap condo, thereby getting you a 'certificate of residence,' may be a lot wiser and, in the long run, possibly cheaper than marrying.

Not seen any condos in Nakhon Sawan and not thinking of marrying, so the question remains unanswered

They don't seem to know from the last I have seen posted. Residence seems to be an option but nobody sure what proves it. Otherwise the normal marriage/retirement/volunteer and such.

Looks like I am getting married then.. What I think I will do is, go back to the UK when my visa has fully expired and make an attempt at getting another visa without being married. If it works it works, fair enough, you never know... If it does not work, then I will return as scheduled 2 weeks after leaving thailand and enter as a tourist so I will have 30 days? Then use those 30 days to get married. But if I do that, could I obtain a non immigrant 'O' in thailand, or would I have to go to Penang or somewhere like that...

Don't marry for visa reasons only. It's not fair on your wife/gielfriend and you said that you are still thinking about becoming a monk....

fatfather

I have decided to persue the ED visa instead, as it is cheaper firstly, more practical, I can improve on my thai and getting married to stay in a country is pretty wrong in moral terms. Thanks for your help people, I am going for an interview 2moro with that TLC company..

I have decided to persue the ED visa instead, as it is cheaper firstly, more practical, I can improve on my thai and getting married to stay in a country is pretty wrong in moral terms. Thanks for your help people, I am going for an interview 2moro with that TLC company..

Well done, best option - good luck.

Good Luck to TT As he notes in his Title 'Why is Everything Transient?' he should also note from the TLC website: "Currently some visitors have been able to benefit from this (ED Visa) scheme for 3 consecutive years."

Good Luck to TT As he notes in his Title 'Why is Everything Transient?' he should also note from the TLC website: "Currently some visitors have been able to benefit from this (ED Visa) scheme for 3 consecutive years."

Do you think I should be wary of this company with regards to a visa? Before handing over any money I should probably want to sign some form of contract with regards to refunds etc. The ED visa is the way to go for me here for sure, but I am not 100% sure about this company. Anyway, tomorrow I am going for an interview there, they ask for me to bring my passport to look at my current visa and they gauge your current ability to speak thai. They make it clear they are not a 'visa factory' and one should attend the classes, which I will, but I do need that dam_n visa :P

Personally, I am not saying anything about any individual MoEd registered language school's ability to help you obtain a visa ... There have been few if any reports -- except for one incident in Chiang Mai -- of any real problems ...

All I was saying is that it is a temporary solution for any intended long-term stay in Thailand but should give someone such as yourself a few years' breathing room and time work work out some other more 'unlimited' arrangement.

Ah okay, understood. Thanks for the heads up. It will give me another year yes, well they state that people can use their company for up to 3 years so that would bring me to the age of 26. I intended on coming to thailand in the first place to gain work in graphic design, and oh my god, how ignorant I was. Maybe by then I will have a better understanding of everything and compile my portfolio.

The Consulate will not accept a rental agreement anymore.

I am curious to know how up-to-date this information is. I emailed the Hull Thai Consulate 3 weeks ago and asked if my year-long rental agreement would be sufficient to be granted a Multiple O and they told me it would be fine. Has something changed in the last 3 weeks that I need to know about - I was planning on returning to the UK shortly.

They are now asking for "residency permit for Thailand." They originally told me a rental agreement would be ok bu that was before the new form dated 9/3/2011.

So buying a cheap condo, thereby getting you a 'certificate of residence,' may be a lot wiser and, in the long run, possibly cheaper than marrying.

A residency permit for Thailand is very different from a certificate of residence.

The former is restricted to only 100 per year and entitles the holder to remain in Thailand without a visa.

The latter is something you apply for when you buy a car or apply for a Thai drivers license.

There is some confusion. I have emailed the consulate to request clarification.

They state on the latest download Abb that they require a residency permit for Thailand

but I think that they mean a certificate of residence.

Not to dampen the rampant speculation on this almost interesting thread, BUT. .. ...

Has anyone currently in the UK bothered to call the Thai Consulate in Hull and ask them directly?

OR

Conversely, has anyone bothered to send an email to Hull asking what criteria are now needed to secure a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-O or Type-B visa? Sometimes the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

FWIW: More out of curiosity than need, I penned errr typed off this email to Hull;

Hi,

I am a UK national and received a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-O visa from Hull about 15 months ago for the purpose of visiting friends. I see on your website this is no longer a viable reason to get this type of visa.

I do not qualify for another visa type, not married to a Thai national, not of sufficient age to retire, etc. I currently live here in Thailand, rent an apartment, bank here, etc.

I see you require a 'residency permit' for a Non-O. Can I use the letter of residency I get from the UK embassy here in Bangkok, or one I can get from Thai Immigrations as sufficient proof of residency? There is no such thing as a "residency permit" in Thailand, but there are "proof of residency" documents issued.

Also what requirements are needed to get a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-B visa? Can Hull issue a Type-B visa if I write a letter saying I am requesting this visa to look into business opportunities in Thailand?

Please advise me on the best course of action. I will be returning to the UK later next month and would like to secure another yearly visa.

Thank you in advance for your reply and for any advice on my situation.

Tod Daniels

I'll post what ever answer I get from them. It should be more than a few days. They're pretty speedy at getting back, at least when I've sent emails to them in the past.

NOTE 2 THE O/P: Sheesh, you must be desperate to stay here if you’d so casually contemplate marriage to a Thai national as the means to that end!!

Personally, I’d go the ED visa route. However, BEFORE you pay a single satang’s worth of your money, I’d talk to currently enrolled students, sit a free class, look at the material, etc. Granted the Ministry of Education only requires you attend class 4 hours a week (so it’s no great time investment) but if the method or materials suck, it can make for a very LONG 4 hours.

Good Luck.

BTW: I know full well there is a "residency permit" issued to "Permanent Residents" however people holding P/R status don't need visas from Hull to facilitate their stay here, and I doubt Hull even knows that.

Edited by tod-daniels

I have just been back to the UK to renew my Visa. After taking all of my documents i.e Blue Book, Green Book, BUPA, Leese Contract etc I called hull to make an appointment for a NON 'O' as I have done for the past 5 years. I was told the new requirements for the 'O' and they also sent me them in black and white and they said I dont qualify for the 'O' Visa anymore even if you own property, cars etc because I dont fit into that catagory anymore with me being under 50.

I even explained my situation and she said we do not look at this on a case by case thing it is just black and white from now on.

The lucky thing for me is that I sub contract to a company and was able to get a letter from them stating my purpose of being in Thailand and therefore issued me a 'B' Visa....Phew!!!

But Back to the OP, I have a friend who has just contacted Hull and has had some clarity on the situaition about Resident Permits.

HULL WILL ISSUE A NON 'O' VISA IF YOU CAN OBATAIN A 'LETTER OF RESIDENCE' VALID FOR 60 DAYS FROM YOU LOCAL IMMIGRATION.

This is the same Letter you get when doing you driving licence, buying a car etc.

IT IS NOT THE SAME AS A RESIDENCE PERMIT!!! THE WORDING THEY USE IS THE CONFUSING BIT!!

If you not sure make some calls to them but this info is correct at time of printing this.

hope this helps :D

from Post #55 The lucky thing for me is that I sub contract to a company and was able to get a letter from them stating my purpose of being in Thailand and therefore issued me a 'B' Visa ...

Just to clarify for others does that mean you PAY a company in Thailand to do work for you or your ex-Thailand company and that the Thai Company wrote a letter describing the arrangement for 'B' Visa purposes at Hull?

from Post #55 The lucky thing for me is that I sub contract to a company and was able to get a letter from them stating my purpose of being in Thailand and therefore issued me a 'B' Visa ...

Just to clarify for others does that mean you PAY a company in Thailand to do work for you or your ex-Thailand company and that the Thai Company wrote a letter describing the arrangement for 'B' Visa purposes at Hull?

I work for a company based outside Thailand but had them do me a letter stating I make several trips to Thailand a year, but the meaning of my post was to clarify that the 'Letter of Residency' is accepted for the NON'O' visa.

Thanks MCD for your further clarification at #58 since -- based upon your post -- whether you intended the central point to be residence and 'O' visa your description of your brand new 'B' visa from Hull may help it become the new flavor-of-the-month.

Thanks MCD for your further clarification at #58 since -- based upon your post -- whether you intended the central point to be residence and 'O' visa your description of your brand new 'B' visa from Hull may help it become the new flavor-of-the-month.

Just to clarify some more, my company is based outside Thailand but operates in Thailand, so therefore if you look at the 'B' visa requirements on the website I fit into this category with it stating this as ok for this type of Visa.

So in theory this has been a sort of case reveiw after I explained that I could possibly get a letter from my company after they declined my 'O' application hence me metioning in my original post that I was LUCKY to be able to get a Letter.

This 'B' Visa catagory will not apply to everyone just based on any letter from any company outside Thailand.

I just thought I would clear that up a bit more as I wouldnt want anyone to think that they will be giving out 'B' visa's willy nilly!!!

But again the 'Letter of Residency' will be accepted from immigration if valid for more than 60 days upon application that is what they said at Hull consul. I only found this out after I got my 'B' visa.

Hope this helps some more.