Gps Navigation Software In Thailand

sajal

hello all...

im looking for a GPS navigation software to run on windows 98 box....

my intention is to create a car PC based on mini-itx from VIA...

i would use any serial/usb port GPS reveiver for getting the location information.....and use a car LCD display as the monitor....but i need to know where can i get a software for navigation...

i dont want a ready made system for many reasons (cost, no-fun, not many features)

my custom box could be designed to do the following....

1) car navigator...

2) connect to net via GPRS....browse whiledriving.....

3) mp3 player...using external USB disk/sd card....

4) search for car if stolen....hehe

5) DVD player....

and many more features cheaper than an off the shelf car navigation system....

so in case any one knows about/used a GPS software here in thailand do give me some pointers....

cheers...

Devil

You could try ESRI Thailand - they sell an electronic map suitable for a Garmin GPS. You need a Garmin Quest or similar due to the amount of memory required (over 80 MB). Can't remember the details, but cost of the map for the whole country was around 11,000 baht. The Garmin Mapsource software has a real time interface to a GPS unit. Fugawi and OziExplorer are two other well known moving map software packages with GPS interfaces.

The MapMaker CD-ROM map is good. It is the most detailed road map that I've found for Thailand though it looses it a bit in the border areas. However, it can't interface with a GPS. Available from eThaiCD for USD13. Someone might know how to get this to work with a GPS.

tx a lot for the replies....

the eThaiCD stuff surely doesnt seem to be compatible with the GPS systems....

i need more of a software where i can just enter the destination the software would then guide me the way....pity all the softwares i found on googling were for US or western europe...

i hadnt seen mp3car.com but its a very interesting site....have been visiting similar sites....

from what i learn is that garmain only sells full device.....not the software for PC platform seperately....so kinda useless for me(unless some geek has managed to port their software to the PC)

i wont do all this only to make a box which can ONLY play mp3 and browse internet(btw nice timepass on bangkok traffic ;-) )...i need the GPS also....

I think a lot of product like this on the market in the new year.

Let me know if you find all the right elements.

I know their is a thai startup thats done a lot of work but i lost my computer to a theif and lost the detail.

I know group4 in thailand are marketing a tracking solution,

GPRS boxes for that are cheap now in Sing etc around 400 usd but you need to interface into something at your server end.

hello all...

im looking for a GPS navigation software to run on windows 98 box....

my intention is to create a car PC based on mini-itx from VIA...

i would use any serial/usb port GPS reveiver for getting the location information.....and use a car LCD display as the monitor....but i need to know where can i get a software for navigation...

i dont want a ready made system for many reasons (cost, no-fun, not many features)

my custom box could be designed to do the following....

1) car navigator...

2) connect to net via GPRS....browse whiledriving.....

3) mp3 player...using external USB disk/sd card....

4) search for car if stolen....hehe

5) DVD player....

and many more features cheaper than an off the shelf car navigation system....

so in case any one knows about/used a GPS software here in thailand do give me some pointers....

cheers...

These products offer GPS, not sure if it helps?

hey./...this seems interesting.....in case anyone knows thai can they tell if they solve my purpose?

what i really need is the software to guide the driver visually....sound instructions would be a boon....

ive written to them but very unlikely ill get a reply anytime soon...

this project im just makin as a hobbie....if the result is cheap ill setup some comemrcial operations regarding this....

snoophound: i think finding the via motherboards are next to impossible in thailand....ive tried asking in many shops here all draw a blank face....for the test unit id order it from the states...a friend would be traveling in december....if it cant wait then ill need to get it shipped....

the case + mobo + dvd + HDD should be like $400 US itself....

bulk production would be frm china (where else?? ;-) )

PS: any coder knowledgable in this field pls PM me....would prefer it to be linux based....wht im thinking is a linux application to do this....

There is another link on this forum concerning GPS in Thailand here.

For laptops there is a freeware solution to show your location on a mapquest map downloaded from the internet here. No routing though.

Do you really need a mini pc for GPS in your car? I think your better off with a PocketPC. I found a Garmin pocketpc for 33 kBath with thai maps and a Mitac 168 with integrated GPS receiver and Thai maps for 15 kBath on the second level (counting parterre - 1 - 2) of Pantip plaza in a shop in the extreme right hand corner of the building as you enter from the main road. The shop listed a internet address dgadget. All solutions offer detailed maps of Bangkok only. The resolution of rural thailand is very rough.

Edited by Bikkel