Best Post-Paid 3G Data Sim Card For International Roaming?

otissp

I'm looking for a SIM card that I can use in Thailand mostly, but also around the world - Europe, USA, etc. This will be for a windows tablet with cellular internet (haven't bought the tablet yet, so could get one with any cellular technology).

I have been using an iPad in the past for easy internet access during international travel, but the rates charged by AT&T for data roaming (and now Verizon also) are absurd. Also, I think I still need a real computer with a full OS, the iPad can't do everything I need it to.

Anyway, I have a TRUE 3g SIM card which I am using in bangkok, and it works fairly well. I dont want to have to worry about whether I have enough money in the account or not, so this is good because it is post-paid. I called TRUE today to try to ask them if I can roam internationally with this sim card, got just a voice mail saying they were really busy and would call me back. They probably will, but I'm still waiting on that.

I'm trying to find a good SIM or microsim card for data roaming, both within thailand, and around the world (US, Europe, Japan, HK, etc.) AT&T's plan they offer with the iPad is.... obsene would be a decent word.

Does anyone have any advice as to a good post-paid sim or microsim card for data roaming around the world, so I can pop such a sim/microsim card into a tablet PC with cellular internet and get internet access for a reasonable price anywhere in the world?

BTW have no need for SMS or phone calls. Just internet.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by otissp

I think that you will find that it is much more cost-effective to use local SIMs, recognizing that this involves a lot of extra work/time setting up.

I do not believe True offers international data roaming.

Re: AT&T in the U.S., suspect you are not looking at the correct plans, some of which are quite cost-effective.

Finally, make sure your device has the required 3G radios for those countries/service providers you plan to visit/use.

This thread has a lot of great, detailed information on your question

AIS is what I use here and they have the best reorts however with Thailands corrupt ways and with the TAT governing the 3G upcoming networks it's hard to tell. like someone mentioned already, better to by pre-paid net cards in th e country your in. UK maybe vodaphone, Canada maybe Telus etc. In the airports etc just turn on your WiFi. Buy the Ais pre-paid for back up and have roaming activated. 100 baht = 20 hrs. 200 baht = 50 hrs