Are Native English Speakers The Answer For Thailand?

webfact

CHALK TALK

Are Narive-English Teachers The Answer?

By Chularat Saengpassa

30152430-01.jpg

The Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) has caused a stir by floating the idea of paying native English teachers up to Bt83,000 a month in a bid to boost students' proficiency in the language.

While it's great that Obec has finally exercised its power to strive for change, it is worrying that the office does not seem to have everything ready to back up its ambitions.

It plans to attract young graduates with teaching degrees or former teachers in retirement from the United States, Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, India and the Philippines.

"We will offer them a one-year contract and send them to top schools at district levels," Obec secretary-general Dr Chinnapat Phumirat disclosed.

He said his agency planned to hire just 300 native speakers in the first year of the initiative, which is expected to start in October.

"Then, we will gradually increase the number of native-speaker teachers to 1,000 within five years. They will then be assigned to a wider range of Obec schools," Chinnapat said.

If Obec manages to win Cabinet approval for its ambitious plan, it will have to spend up to Bt350 million in a year to hire 300 native speakers alone.

Does Obec need to pay that much?

It is true that Thai students' command of English is not good on average, according to various indicators. Still, Obec could spend money on providing training to Thai teachers who may be able to teach grammar or English-reading skills better. Native speakers should be assigned to focus on equipping students with English listening and speaking skills.

The reason students' current level of English is not very high may be because Obec has not provided an adequate number of qualified Thai teachers for English classes. To date, only 5,000 teachers have graduated with an English-teaching-for-primary-students major from their universities. On top of this, thousands of schools have taught English without language labs at all.

Therefore, if Obec is going to spend a massive amount on hiring native speakers, it should review whether some of the money would be better spent elsewhere, such as for training Thai teachers or better teaching equipment.

And Obec has not floated its idea at the right time.

Switzerland-based EF Education First, the world leader in international education, last week released the first comprehensive index ranking the proficiency of English among a broad population in 44 countries and territories around the world where English is not the native language.

Using a unique set of test data from over two million adults across 44 countries who took free online English tests over three years (2007-2009), the index shows that Asia's performance was lower than expected, especially in light of the amount spent on private English training.

The worst news is that of the 44 countries, Thailand is ranked 42nd in terms of English proficiency. Thailand's score is only 39.41, against 69.09 for Norway, which tops the list.

EF's English Proficiency Index also shows an interesting strong correlation between a country's English ability and its national income per head. There is also a high correlation with levels of education and export strength. With higher income, governments are investing more in English training.

"In today's highly competitive global economy, English language proficiency is a basic skill and has never been more important for the entire workforce," said Bill Fisher, president of EF's online-learning division, Englishtown.

Fisher added: "For developing countries to compete successfully in global industries and capitalise on the business-outsourcing boom, the ability to produce large numbers of skilled graduates who are able to communicate in English must be a top priority."

Aware of the importance of English language skills, people are more than willing to welcome Obec's move to hire more native speakers.

Obec is serious about this initiative because it wants to prepare Thais for the Asean Economic Community, which is expected to become fully-fledged by 2015. The initiative by Obec will run until 2015 too.

If the initiative is successful, the number of fluent English speakers in Thailand's workforce will increase in the future. Although some children in big cities today are now fluent in English, their numbers account for less than 10 per cent of the child population nationwide.

If Thailand wishes to have an English-competent population to drive up its economy, everyone should embrace the Obec initiative. The only thing is that Obec should make sure it spends the budget efficiently and finds a way to improve its Thai teachers and facilities too. Don't forget that the limited English knowledge of most Thai students is not only due to the lack of native speakers in the educational sector alone.

CHULARAT SAENGPASSA

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-05

Related topic:

Thailand To Hire 300 Native English-Speaking Teachers

Follow this link:

Pro-action is good.

Whether it is expensive or not and aside from the potential comments on native English speaker's training abilities (which is inevitable) even though it clearly states "graduates with teaching degrees or former teachers in retirement", its nice to see some investment in education and I really hope it happens and pays off.

If the initiative is successful' date=' the number of fluent English speakers in Thailand's workforce will increase in the future. Although some children in big cities today are now fluent in English, their numbers account for less than 10 per cent of the child population nationwide.[/quote']

Bit of a pointless paragraph IMO, ended with a vague statistic, personally, even though I know little of the actual statistics, I would have said it was nearer 'less than 5%' can speak English 'fluently'.

Edited by benavenell

why not work with the teaching staff already in Thailand? Verify all academic credentials. Require a minimum B.Ed. or undergraduate with a teaching certificate. Require the teachers to pass a competency exam. Fail and they are sent packing. Require continuing education. Increase the pay for those that qualify. It's time to rid Thailand of people who call themselves teachers but are not, and it is also time to pay teachers a decent salary. The wages for many are crap, so is it any wonder the jobs attract the worst of the worst?

If teaching is an honourable profession, then treat them accordingly. Nothing wrong with doubling or tripling their salaries if they are qualified, A teacher is a professional.

English language learning should be a major priority for Thai students.

The reason is that without a reasonable command of spoken and written English language skills, Thais have very little chance of leaving Thailand and working abroad. In other words, they could be stuck in a rut.

Rather than hiring farang teachers, that may have visa problems, dodgy backgrounds, perhaps only staying in Thailand for the short term and cannot speak Thai, the better option would be to hire half Thai and half farang teachers that are already living here, have Thai nationality and have a good command of both Thai and English languages. Such as my children for example.

The plus sides are, that these teachers would not have visa problems, could be hired at a cheaper rate and here for the long term.

The country needs to adopt a long-term strategy on the teaching of English. In my experience, English is taught on a hit-or-miss basis. The language needs to be taught systematically and it needs to be used. It needs to include all the skills, reading, listening, writing and speaking.

Native speakers should be the preferred group, since it is their language. Licensed teachers with a degree in education also needs to be the preferred group--these people are trained to teach. Generally, they have the techniques and understanding of learning theory and what can be accomplished with each age group. There is plenty of room for the TEFL teachers, who, by and large, do a good job.

In the very long-term, the country needs to work toward language training for Thai teachers, but in the short-term, most are just not fluent enough to teach English or teach in English and they won't be in the near term. Teachers who are relatively fluent (and I have worked with quite a few), are generally snatched up by the private sector for a salary that presently cannot be matched by schools.

Overall, the cost for teaching English is not all that expensive. A decent education costs less than a bad education.

I think you guys are missing the point. A huge upswing in the amount of Thai English speakers would change the balance in Thailand. More Thais would get into foreign websites etc. and maybe start THINKING FOR THEMSELVES.

Now, what do the ruling classes NOT want?

Yes get the speeling right first of all! Lots of English speaking people in Thailand I am sure willing to help with coversational English pracitce in schools as part of reason for being here, say 1 hour a week, see how it goes. Teachers need to enbrace it not think about how much face is lost because they dont speak English like an English person, accept the help and get over it. Most students dont know the meaning of the worsds they use or have any confidence in using the language,so, do they want the situation to change or not?

Edited by nong38

Maybe, it is time to tone down the 'Face loss' attitude, which prevents so many from taking correction/advice, from those who by birth, have a higher level of competence in certain fields.

Then, perhaps they will not lose face on such an epic scale everyday.

Maybe the esteemed English language newspaper who provided this article should consider employing one of these English teachers as well..:whistling:

Are Narive-English Teachers The Answer

:blink:

Apparently Narive-English Teachers are the answer to all questions.

Edited by sirchai

I'm sorry, maybe I've just been in Thailand too long, but I have absolutely zero confidence any English teacher is going to collect 83,000 baht per month from a government school. Oh, I don't doubt that the government will pay that much, but that money is going to wind up in the hands of the provincial school administrators in the form of kickbacks when they offer a job.

The farang teachers will net the same low salary they are currently getting after they pay the higher tax rate and give 30,000 a month or so to their boss for the privilege of the position.

This is nothing more than another attempt by the government to spread more money to the provinces and curry favor with influential members of the rural communities ahead of the election. As for solving the problems in the schools? Nothing will change from the way it is now. No professional English teachers are going to be employed in these positions. Anyone care to bet that this is exactly what will happen?

Maybe the esteemed English language newspaper who provided this article should consider employing one of these English teachers as well..:whistling:

Are Narive-English Teachers The Answer

:blink:

Apparently Narive-English Teachers are the answer to all questions.

It plans to attract young graduates with teaching degrees or former teachers in retirement from the United States, Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, India and the Philippines.

I'm really amazed about this article. So Indians and Filipinos are "Narive-English Speakers?"

Okay well, South Africa isn't good enough?

I've met educated teachers from the UK who couldn't teach primary Thai students.

Then people already mentioned who always change the gender, like: "my father is a doctor, she is gay." Without pointing to a specific direction.

I personally wouldn't like that my son's speaking English with an Indian accent. I could go on and on and on, but in my opinion they should change their whole educational system.

In my six years of teaching, I've seen about 150 'teachers' coming and going. Agencies are hiring backpackers knowing that they'll go on traveling. Business over education.

Most directors of big schools are corrupt. They have to buy their positions and will later sell it again for more money to the next director.

I've seen people being sent to high schools to teach English, who never taught before, you can't buy experience, right?

There are some very good Thai English teachers, but they don't make enough money to feed a family.

To be honest it's really hard to believe, but a fact that the majority of Thai English teachers, even holding a Master Degree can't speak English. Shouldn't they be taught by "Native English Teachers", and tested?

So shouldn't it be first priority to educate Thai English teachers better? I'm pretty sure that there are some decent foreigners here in Thailand who are doing a good job in teaching the English language. Foul apples are everywhere.

But if most of them would be replaced by "retired', or licensed teachers, would the outcome be better without changing the social environment and the educational system itself?

I know people with a PHD in physics, but they could never teach this subject to Thai students. So coming to the point. What is a good teacher and who's a good teacher?

Unfortunately, there 're so many licensed teachers, but this doesn't mean that somebody else could do a better job, right?

Might be a bad example, but would you prefer to see a good mechanic to get your car fixed, who knows what he's doing, or would you look for somebody who's got more certificates, but doesn't really know much about technique?

They certainly have to change their educational system.................................:jap:

This idea is a little out there, but I'll mention it nonetheless.

In the USA there is a historically severe unemployment situation and there is no quick and easy solution in sight. Millions of competent Americans have been out of work for years. Many of those lack college degrees but are of course fluent in English and could easily take a TEFL course. Many are also, crass as it sounds, potentially "desperate" enough to work in a country like Thailand (how about Thailand) for much less than 83K baht for month. I would say about 40K would be attractive to a huge pool of such people (after being sold the lower cost of housing and health coverage available here, etc.). Competent, native speakers with a desirable accent, trainable in TEFL, ready to start ASAP. Yet this huge pool of desirable cheap American labor isn't welcome in Thailand to work legally due to the technical requirement for a bachelors degree. Of course many college educated would also work for that low end money, but many more without degrees would find it a decent enough option and may indeed stick at it for many years. Exploit American labor! Also note as you would expect, unemployment rates are much higher among those without degrees, so a bigger pool of potential recruits.(End of soapbox.)

Edited by Jingthing

This idea is a little out there, but I'll mention it nonetheless.

In the USA there is a historically severe unemployment situation and there is no quick and easy solution in sight. Millions of competent Americans have been out of work for years. Many of those lack college degrees but are of course fluent in English and could easily take a TEFL course. Many are also, crass as it sounds, potentially "desperate" enough to work in a country like Thailand (how about Thailand) for much less than 83K baht for month. I would say about 40K would be attractive to a huge pool of such people (after being sold the lower cost of housing and health coverage available here, etc.). Competent, native speakers with a desirable accent, trainable in TEFL, ready to start ASAP. Yet this huge pool of desirable cheap American labor isn't welcome in Thailand to work legally due to the technical requirement for a bachelors degree. Of course many college educated would also work for that low end money, but many more without degrees would find it a decent enough option and may indeed stick at it for many years. Exploit American labor! Also note as you would expect, unemployment rates are much higher among those without degrees, so a bigger pool of potential recruits.(End of soapbox.)

Yeah, it sounds good, JT, but often just doesn't work.

About fifteen years ago I tried to set up a link between schools in (Asian country name not important) and teachers desperate for jobs in North America. There was a recession, school districts were cutting back and teachers were being laid off. No one could get work.

I advertised in local newspapers, even went to a meeting of substitute teachers, a great majority of whom wanted permanent jobs.

I was able to offer return airfare, full time work at a decent salary (not quite NA standard, but enough that I knew people who paid off their student loans, including a master's degree, in under eighteen months) and usually paid accommodation. It was an opportunity to try something new, to travel overseas, to get some good experience, and make some decent money.

I had almost no response, despite the "desperation" for work. I think most were so connected to their home support networks that they just didn't want to take a chance on something new, even if there was little "chance" in it, and an out was always available.

Yup, sounds good, JT, but it didn't work then, so why now?

Because so many millions have lost hope of ever working again in America, that's why. Previous modern recessions were clearly perceived as very temporary by most people. Also in general searching for work overseas has become much more common in recent years. Read Huffington's Third World America. I don't mean to suggest that all such applicants would be good candidates but I do sincerely believe the potential pool is large enough to offer good choices for good risks.

Edited by Jingthing

What exactly will these "Native English Speakers" be expected to do? ("The answer" to what?)

Will they write the national English curriculum?

Will they select course books?

Will they organize class structure?

Will they be doing the actual lessons?

If that's the case, will they be the only ones teaching them English, or will there still be Thai teachers on teaching "Engrish" as a face saving measure and un-doing all progress made?

How will these people be selected?

or...

Will they have most of their salaries siphoned away, marginalized by Thais who see them as a threat, mocked by students who think they look and sound funny, pressured by parents who want their idiot drooling moron kids to pass despite being an idiot drooling moron, and relegated to the role of underpaid "English clown" as in most government schools now?

Then they'll take the blame when the whole project fails!

On another note, there is presently a new test that foreign teachers are expected to take, and it is a complete travesty. It is un-passable, not because it is to difficult, but because it is so poorly written.

Here's a sample question:

Which is longer?

A. Rope

B. Snake

C. Day

D. Year

The whole thing just seems like yet another poorly conceived money siphoning scam with a convenient, imported scapegoat.

*baaa*

Edited by TimeBandit2

Which is longer?

A. Rope

B. Snake

C. Day

D. Year

That's hilarious! Kind of like an absurdist Zen English test. Did they even show questions like that to one native speaker?

Could be fun to come up with new questions to fit the theme.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes get the speeling right first of all! Lots of English speaking people in Thailand I am sure willing to help with coversational English pracitce in schools as part of reason for being here, say 1 hour a week, see how it goes. Teachers need to enbrace it not think about how much face is lost because they dont speak English like an English person, accept the help and get over it. Most students dont know the meaning of the worsds they use or have any confidence in using the language,so, do they want the situation to change or not?

yes, please do, "get the speeling right".... Most important!

why not work with the teaching staff already in Thailand? Verify all academic credentials. Require a minimum B.Ed. or undergraduate with a teaching certificate. Require the teachers to pass a competency exam. Fail and they are sent packing. Require continuing education. Increase the pay for those that qualify. It's time to rid Thailand of people who call themselves teachers but are not, and it is also time to pay teachers a decent salary. The wages for many are crap, so is it any wonder the jobs attract the worst of the worst?

If teaching is an honourable profession, then treat them accordingly. Nothing wrong with doubling or tripling their salaries if they are qualified, A teacher is a professional.

In the words of John Lennon.

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I'm sorry, maybe I've just been in Thailand too long, but I have absolutely zero confidence any English teacher is going to collect 83,000 baht per month from a government school. Oh, I don't doubt that the government will pay that much, but that money is going to wind up in the hands of the provincial school administrators in the form of kickbacks when they offer a job.

The farang teachers will net the same low salary they are currently getting after they pay the higher tax rate and give 30,000 a month or so to their boss for the privilege of the position.

This is nothing more than another attempt by the government to spread more money to the provinces and curry favor with influential members of the rural communities ahead of the election. As for solving the problems in the schools? Nothing will change from the way it is now. No professional English teachers are going to be employed in these positions. Anyone care to bet that this is exactly what will happen?

I will bet with you.

Think you just defined it exactly.

No chance of any real world salaries and Thai greed will take over.

No doubt this forum will continue but look at the journalists negative prose throughout the article. Thais cannot do this and the administration continues to try to keep the basics at a level of education where they can be controlled. Let native teachers in and forget Thai teaching Thai in a foreign language. It hasn't worked to date so why not try something 'different'?

Edited by asiawatcher

Too many so called "Professional teachers" with diplomas or degrees from English speaking countries aren't good enough to teach . I have seen them in Thailand.

Teachers fluent in Thai and English would be the ideal solution but there are not enough of them.

Edited by KKvampire

Wow this subject should generate more rubbish than 1st April as language teachers are the majority of expats in SE Asia.

All Thailand needs are more know alls who went from school back to school and then to the bars and on to Thaivisa forums

Require a minimum B.Ed. or undergraduate with a teaching certificate.

So require standards dramatically higher than Japan which pays much more per month? I'm sure that will work

Wow this subject should generate more rubbish than 1st April as language teachers are the majority of expats in SE Asia.

All Thailand needs are more know alls who went from school back to school and then to the bars and on to Thaivisa forums

Must be desperately close to the truth as I didn’tget pulled or flamed

Must be desperately close to the truth as I didn'tget pulled or flamed

No,not worth the reply, just a typical reply from someone with opinions that are not facts.

Teaching for 8 years, age 45 and doesn't drink or frequent bars

Edited by KKvampire