Thai Social Security Fund

I've recently been told that if I once worked in Thailand, then I must have contributed to the Social Security Fund. I did work here (from '91 to '97) and I did have a work permit, but I was certainly not aware of any social security matters that were applicable to foreigners, all I seem to remember is paying tax. My informant went on to state that whether I knew it or not, I was allocated a social security number, and that I should therefore be able to reclaim some or all of those contributions. His refund was apparently dealt with within a week and resulted in a refund for him of almost 100,000baht. Going through my old papers, I can find no record of a social security number, but I do still have the old work permit, and the passport which was current then. The company went belly-up as a direct result of the '97 currency crisis, so no help to be obtained there.

Does anyone have any information on this matter and does anyone have a contact address for whichever department I should contact to find out if I was allocated a social security number, what that number was, and how to go about reclaiming what might possibly be available to me? I'm retired now and still living in Thailand.

Thanks for any useful input here.