Great New Chinese Restaurant

manarak

Darrel could you explain the difference between English style Chinese and what I would expect in America for instance ?

I would love to, but unfortunately I have no idea what US Chinese food is like. What I do know is that UK Chinese food doesnt always taste like Chinese Chinese food does. The same applies to Indian Indian and UK Indian. (Personally I am a great fan of both Indian types, due to the spicyness.)

I think the point is that if you are accustomed to (and like) a style of cooking, you just want to have the same style again regardless of whether it is "right" or not. So most British expats will be very pleased to find a UK-style Chinese restaurant here (and the lack of one was a very common complaint). Try it, UK-Chinese isnt unpleasant and I suspect it would suit American tastes also.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always considered chopsuey to be bean sprouts, as that's what I've been used to getting in the UK. Am I wrong?

Chop Suey is a bit like fried rice. There is no real recipe and 100 cooks will make it 110 different ways. It's basically left-overs and oddments anyway. Nothing wrong with that though!

I look forward to trying it in next couple of days. I hope it is UK style as Chineese food in China is far inferior to their food done in the civilised world. Just the same as Indian food. I've just come back from Dehli and the Indian food even here in Thailand is much superior to the muck they sell over there!

This incredible statement leaves me... speechless, krap. (You're joking, right?)

No duck lips or pigs uterus soup on the menu then? Cannot get a nice bit of lower colon to go with your chicken feet or sauteed spleen?:(

Beef with ginger with spring onions will do nicely and some of those spicey spare ribs where the meat falls off the bone :jap:

Ok, ok- you're right Khun Oink. There's a lot of amazing & bizarre foods in China. But, Chinese food is an unbelievable and huge menu/array of dishes, simple to complex. And great Chinese food in China is an eye-opening and fantastic cuisine everyone should try... especially before making wild generalizations. I think if you love Chinese food in your home country, and you go to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong... almost any area of China- you'll find the real thing to be super-delicious. Like any Asian country, if there are things on the menu that don't sound or look good to a foreginer, then you don't order them. Go for the beef with ginger & spring onions (best I've had was in Hong Kong, by the way).

B)

nothing incredible with dogtim's statement mate, british chinese food is great. food snobs dont you love em!

Used to live in San Francisco and had many Chinese rest. to choose from.

Ordered two beef dishes last night and both were very good.

Probably the best Chinese rest. for money.

Dusit has Chinese rest. with nice views but very expensive but excellent food.

This rest. offers the best bang for the baht.

English Chinese food is not the same as Chinese Chinese food.

English Chinese food is from Hong Kong.

My favourites include:-

Sweet and Sour Pork.

Pancake roll (crispy case containing mung bean shoots).

Boiled Rice.

Prawn Crackers.

Soya sauce.

Omelette (very hard and flavoured with spices).

Chicken dish with mushrooms.

All are included in a typical Chinese takeaway meal in the UK.

Yum Yum.

What's happening with the rooms? Are they available yet? If possible, I'd like to book for the end of the month.

Thanks

Our first guest arrives on Friday and I will try to post some pictures shortly.. . (if I am allowed, I am not sure what the rules are yet on this forum)

Here is an few pictures posted on the Secret board of the restuarant. .

post-128824-0-52974500-1302592946_thumb.

Edited by cronus1972

Great Post. Thanks. and Ian, thank you, this'll save me an airfare to Hong Kong. Ever since I took my wife to Hongers 7 years ago shes been at me to take her back, no, not for the shopping, for the food. You know Thais' & food.

The place looks great! I have been wanting for somebody to open a good Chinese food place in Thailand since, well, since the Ming Dynasty. The dish at the bottom actually looks like real Chinese food and not some Thai perversion of it. I can't wait to try the place.

I have yet to try this new place so will reserve judgement; however, Nam Sing next to Royal Garden on 2nd Road has excellent Chinese food. So good Chinese food has been available in Pattaya for some time (but not since the Ming Dynasty).

Edited by FarangBuddha

I have said it before, while I prefer "authentic" regional Chinese food to westernized Chinese food, I think Nam Sing is not a very good Chinese restaurant (though it is more towards the authentic). If you don't believe me, order their ma po tofu. Awful and a rip off.

BTW, here it is folks, based on one visit I hereby give

CHINA GARDEN

:thumbsup: the Jingthing THUMBS UP! :thumbsup:

I hope you can get a table now.

Yes, it is westernized, but it is quite good.

It reminds me of a sophisticated westernized Chinese place in a residential New York City neighborhood where Seinfeld characters would frequent. No Chinese people generally wouldn't eat there, but that doesn't mean the food isn't very good, for what it is.

post-37101-0-56530600-1302608529_thumb.j

Also if China Garden was in San Francisco (which it wouldn't be) I would likely eat there sometimes for the experience of good Westernized Chinese food, while if Nam Sing was there, I would never eat there as there would be hundreds of better authentic Chinese places.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing only gives Thumbs Up when warranted.

His eating out advice is always correct.

Even his advice to use proper worls like "NY deli" are always right.

I was sad the Village Chinky failed.

I hope Ian will kick ass here in Pattaya.

I will eat there this week and report back.

Classic Jingthing line is THAIER THAN THAI !!!!!

Jingthing only gives Thumbs Up when warranted.

His eating out advice is always correct.

Even his advice to use proper worls like "NY deli" are always right.

I was sad the Village Chinky failed.

I hope Ian will kick ass here in Pattaya.

I will eat there this week and report back.

Classic Jingthing line is THAIER THAN THAI !!!!!

Thanks for the flattering words. However, that's a lot of pressure. Some places I liked when I try them can change rapidly and not be so good the next time (although in this case, I think they have their act together). Also, of course food tastes are subjective.

By the way, I think I may be able to claim invention credit for BOTH

Thai-ier than Thai

and

Thai-ier than thou

and that and five dollars will get you a cup of coffee.

Edited by Jingthing

I have said it before, while I prefer "authentic" regional Chinese food to westernized Chinese food, I think Nam Sing is not a very good Chinese restaurant (though it is more towards the authentic). If you don't believe me, order their ma po tofu. Awful and a rip off.

BTW, here it is folks, based on one visit I hereby give

CHINA GARDEN

:thumbsup: the Jingthing THUMBS UP! :thumbsup:

I hope you can get a table now.

Yes, it is westernized, but it is quite good.

It reminds me of a sophisticated westernized Chinese place in a residential New York City neighborhood where Seinfeld characters would frequent. No Chinese people generally wouldn't eat there, but that doesn't mean the food isn't very good, for what it is.

post-37101-0-56530600-1302608529_thumb.j

Also if China Garden was in San Francisco (which it wouldn't be) I would likely eat there sometimes for the experience of good Westernized Chinese food, while if Nam Sing was there, I would never eat there as there would be hundreds of better authentic Chinese places.

Yes but the pertinent point is that none of us are in San Francisco anymore...so we have to take what we can get. And as you say, no Chinese would be caught dead eating at China Garden so must be really good "Chinese" food.

I have an idea, why don't we call it "Chinglish" food.

I went with 3 friends the other night to try this place out.

First of all, I now understand the "UK Chinese" description. The servings were enormous, perfect for eating to soak up the booze during or after a heavy night out. There was liitle or no resemblance to actual Chinese cuisine of any region except perhaps Nottingham!! but then that is what is advertised.

That said, our wonton soup was rated as excellent, crispy duck in a generous serving as OK+, starters-vile, sweet and sours, 2, pork and prawn to meet individual needs, below average, szechuan beef-OK.

Service was friendly indeed but a bit pressed in my view with about 50% occupancy but that could have been a kitchen problem. The decor rushes you back to suburban Sydney or Manchester-spot on, clean and comfortable.

Prices, food and drinks, could not be more reasonable given the seeming good ingredients and serving sizes which as I mention above are huge.

My bet is this place will be a winner, giving generous clean nosh at more than fair prices in a nice venue and a convenient location. Those seeking Chinese food, however, might best cast their eyes towards the Montien, Dusit or, if the Chrysthanenum is still going, the Royal Cliff and accept a cheque bin several times greater than a filling meal at Chinese garden will cost.

This place is "spot on" and the owners will have to keep tight reins on Mr. Moon from the UK who is the head chef / manager as he is leading the charge on how well the dishes are being prepared.

I don't pull punches on reviews but for the price and quality of what is being served here they will get my return business. Suggest all who read this give this restaurant a try.

The posts here certainly make this place worth a look.

Will try it out next week. Haven't had a decent chineese meal for a long time so salavating at the very thought of it :)

after 14 years living in Hong Kong, 13 years in Thailand and 2 years in India I prefer the latter. Each to their own but i am still smiling.

I can see people preferring Thai curries over Indian, though I also think Indian curries are tops no doubt. But Chinese curries? Aren't they generally made with dried yellow curry powder? That's not real curry.

after 14 years living in Hong Kong, 13 years in Thailand and 2 years in India I prefer the latter. Each to their own but i am still smiling.

I can see people preferring Thai curries over Indian, though I also think Indian curries are tops no doubt. But Chinese curries? Aren't they generally made with dried yellow curry powder? That's not real curry.

Please tell the latter to just about every Indian restaurant in the UK.

Also, never having been a food snob, having always found such more than disgusting in the face of so much World poverty, I don't care if it's "real" or not as long as it tastes good, fills the gap, and costs sensible money.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Please tell that to just about every Indian restaurant in the UK.

Are you talking about Indian Chinese fusion food, which yes, I know is a big trend. When I think Chinese curry, which is pleasant enough, I think a stir fry that is very yellow from canned curry powder.

As far as curry being real or not, I also don't consider myself a snob of any kind, but I do know it is an objective fact that using canned curry powders isn't the same level of cooking as cooks who prepare their own curry spice mixtures from scratch. Maybe real was the wrong word.

Edited by Jingthing

By the way, I tried the other another restaurant serving chinese food:

it's called Leng Kee, located almosat on the corner of pattaya klang and soi buakhow.

I don't know how I could miss it before.

No table cloth and napkins here, but the prices are really cheap and the food is very yummy.

But make them repeat the order, they got 50% of it wrong.

By the way, I tried the other another restaurant serving chinese food:

it's called Leng Kee, located almosat on the corner of pattaya klang and soi buakhow.

I don't know how I could miss it before.

No table cloth and napkins here, but the prices are really cheap and the food is very yummy.

But make them repeat the order, they got 50% of it wrong.

Yes that place is indeed quite good. They have both Chinese Thai food and Thai food. I eat there too and yes have also had orders bungled there (but good experience with complaining and getting it fixed). I wouldn't call it a Chinese restaurant though. It's a Thai Chinese restaurant primarily. Seems like almost every table orders their roast duck there.

Edited by Jingthing