Congolese Gang Busted Cashing Stolen Foreign Cheques Valued Bt50m

webfact

Congolese Gang Busted Cashing Stolen Foreign Cheques, 50 Mill Baht

Police have arrested three Congolese nationals for attempting to cash stolen cheques from Canada, the U.S., and New Zealand worth 50 million baht.

The Crime Suppression Division announced the arrest of 35-year-old Bedi Yef, 35-year-old Kongko Lu, and 31-year-old Engira Osha, all Congolese nationals, and confiscated 8 fake passports, 6 account books, and 11 ATM cards.

The three were arrested at the Ladprao Soi 10 Branch of Kasikorn Bank.

The investigators said that the three had attempted to cash 4 to 5 cheques from Canada, the U.S., and New Zealand, worth 50 million baht.

Kasikorn Bank had been able to verify one cheque and cashed out a 4-million-baht cheque from Canada.

The Canadian cheque was later cancelled by the owner in Canada, prompting the bank to contact the police.

Police had the bank officers lure the three to the bank to pick up the remaining cash, which allowed the investigators to move in to make the arrests.

The three admitted that a gang of Australian nationals had hired them to cash the cheques.

They were given fake passportsby a man named Joseph Degel from Australia, who worked with 3 or 4 other gang members.

The gang also told the police that there were 3 more Congolese nationals working to cash stolen cheques.

The police have vowed to arrest all those involved in the crime soon.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-07

footer_n.gif

Kasikorn Bank had been able to verify one cheque and cashed out a 4-million-baht cheque from Canada.

Doesn't reflect very well on the bank - to get hoodwinked in to cashing that check for those guys.

Thai bank workers are not "worldy wise" and sadly Thai Immigration are not much better. At the risk of being chastised for racial profiling. Congolese men do not come to Thailand to to visit golden orbed temples or stay in beach hotel resorts.

Unlike European and American or Australian border patrols I doubt if any of these ne'er do wells would have got past the Passport control area never mind get into the country and start scamming for all their worth...

Thai Visa is full of threads asking how convicted criminals and other deviants get in....simple just walk in with 6 false passports in your back pocket....

Slightly off topic but still relating to Visa entry requirements. Visa on arrival states you have to have at least 10,000 baht in funds for an individual and 20,000 for a family.

Basically "chump change" in the great scheme of things. This figure should be a lot higher

Congolese need to apply for a Thai visa in their own country so the Thai consulate failed to verify why these guys were coming also.

Basically "chump change" in the great scheme of things. This figure should be a lot higher

That's not thought through very well as Thailand is still a developing country and is bordered with other developing and under-developed countries. Visitors from those countries couldn't possibly meet higher financial requirements and are essential to the Thai economy.

At the risk of being chastised for racial profiling. Congolese men do not come to Thailand to to visit golden orbed temples or stay in beach hotel resorts.

Neither do the vast majority of Western males that engage in sex-tourism and other illegal activities.

Doesn't reflect very well on the bank - to get hoodwinked in to cashing that check for those guys.

My question remains where does my mail from my bank in USA go? It's Never delivered but the address is correct and valid???? How this "non Thai" gang (which is so so often the case LOL) get said checks?

At the risk of being chastised for racial profiling. Congolese men do not come to Thailand to to visit golden orbed temples or stay in beach hotel resorts.

Neither do the vast majority of Western males that engage in sex-tourism and other illegal activities.

One would have to be blind or faking it to not see his point.

That's not thought through very well as Thailand is still a developing country and is bordered with other developing and under-developed countries. Visitors from those countries couldn't possibly meet higher financial requirements and are essential to the Thai economy.

Vast majority? I find that hard to beleive...

Vast majority? I find that hard to beleive...

Agreed Issanben. I think the majority of western men here are not sex tourists

My question remains where does my mail from my bank in USA go? It's Never delivered but the address is correct and valid???? How this "non Thai" gang (which is so so often the case LOL) get said checks?

In the past, mail I have had sent to Thailand, containing money or bank details, has never arrived. Maybe the staff at the sorting office have been paid by certain people, to intercept all mail containing cheque books, bank cards and money, from overseas.

Try a little experiment:

Get someone to put small amounts of foreign money, [of little value,] and send it to you here in Thailand. At the same time, get them to post a letter in a different envelope.

See which one is delivered.

Thai bank workers are not "worldy wise" and sadly Thai Immigration are not much better. At the risk of being chastised for racial profiling. Congolese men do not come to Thailand to to visit golden orbed temples or stay in beach hotel resorts.

Unlike European and American or Australian border patrols I doubt if any of these ne'er do wells would have got past the Passport control area never mind get into the country and start scamming for all their worth...

Thai Visa is full of threads asking how convicted criminals and other deviants get in....simple just walk in with 6 false passports in your back pocket....

Slightly off topic but still relating to Visa entry requirements. Visa on arrival states you have to have at least 10,000 baht in funds for an individual and 20,000 for a family.

Congolese need to apply for a Thai visa in their own country so the Thai consulate failed to verify why these guys were coming also.

Congolese Nationals are actually well known to the Thai authorities for their credit card, wire transfer and check fraud. However, the real intentions of people arriving here aren't written on their heads. So to say people from either Congo or D.R. Congo shouldn't be allowed into Thailand isn't proper, and the same goes for every other nationals. I believe that the various security bodies in Thailand should put in more effort into stopping crimes before they happen. They should check on people who spend the day sleeping and go out of their homes late in the afternoon or evening, and also on people who spend all day drinking or womanizing without going out to work. If they're retirees, it's understandable.

The credit card, wire transfer and check fraud scam is so large that it will be very difficult to put an end to. But the authorities can start from somewhere.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Congolese Nationals are actually well known to the Thai authorities for their credit card, wire transfer and check fraud. However, the real intentions of people arriving here aren't written on their heads. So to say people from either Congo or D.R. Congo shouldn't be allowed into Thailand isn't proper, and the same goes for every other nationals. I believe that the various security bodies in Thailand should put in more effort into stopping crimes before they happen. They should check on people who spend the day sleeping and go out of their homes late in the afternoon or evening, and also on people who spend all day drinking or womanizing without going out to work. If they're retirees, it's understandable.

The credit card, wire transfer and check fraud scam is so large that it will be very difficult to put an end to. But the authorities can start from somewhere.

That applies to almost every tourist in the country! So do you suggest long stayers should be easily identifiable - perhaps wear a yellow star or something?

The government is not to blame - the ignorance of the banking industry is more likely imo... Thailand is seen as an easy target - not only because it is fairly easy to get in, but more for the corrupt and/or outdated business practices, security and policing.

Every week there are reports of 'gangs' being bust - ATM fraud, call centres, you name it. That's only the tip of the iceberg...