Peak Season In Thailand - How Much Is It?

Hutchenson

Hi there

I went to Thailand a few months ago, I left on the 28 of june, and spent just under 5 weeks there.

I was surprised how cheap things were. I spent most of my time in Bangkok, and i'm planning to go back overthere for atleast 6 months. The thing is, i'm not to sure when to travel, i know it's peak season in Thailand between Nov-Feb, i just wanted to know how much more expensive is it going to be comparred to when i last went over.

I'll probably be leaving for Thailand either in the end of November, or mid December. Here's what i remember the prices being:

Double room with air-con/tv/ensuite bathroom - In Khao San road - 400baht

Beer (Singha) in a bar -60-100 baht.

Oil massage (1 hour) 300-500 baht.

How much are the prices going to go up by, 20% say for instance. It's just i'm saving at the momment, and i'm giving myself around £125 to live on a week, which i reckon should be enough, assuming i rent a flat in Bangkok somewhere.

Any help would be much appreciated, just a rough idea would be great, cause assuming it's going to be alot more, i might consider leaving in the end of January, just to make my money go that little bit furthur.

Thanks alot for your help on this matter.

In Bangkok, there doesn't seem to be much of a peak season price, especially not at the 400 baht k san road places so I would expect to spend about the same as you did last time. :D

Though I have heard that oil prices are rising so not sure about the massage dude. :o

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Since i got back in England, my first thing todo was to find a job. I'm now working 2 jobs (80 hours plus a week) saving 300 quid a week on average (i have about £1200 saved up. Now, i'm hoping to save another 3 grand. £4000 in all, with £500 going on ticket and insurance, that leaves £3500 for roughly 6 months.

I'm gonna rent a small studio flat in Bangkok, after which i should have about £125 as spening money/ I can't wait :D

Hi there

I went to Thailand a few months ago, I left on the 28 of june, and spent just under 5 weeks there.

I was surprised how cheap things were.  I spent most of my time in Bangkok, and i'm planning to go back overthere for atleast 6 months.  The thing is, i'm not to sure when to travel, i know it's peak season in Thailand between Nov-Feb, i just wanted to know how much more expensive is it going to be comparred to when i last went over.

I'll probably be leaving for Thailand either in the end of November, or mid December.  Here's what i remember the prices being:

Double room with air-con/tv/ensuite bathroom - In Khao San road - 400baht

Beer (Singha) in a bar -60-100 baht.

Oil massage (1 hour) 300-500 baht.

How much are the prices going to go up by, 20% say for instance.  It's just i'm saving at the momment, and i'm giving myself around £125 to live on a week, which i reckon should be enough, assuming i rent a flat in Bangkok somewhere.

Any help would be much appreciated, just a rough idea would be great, cause assuming it's going to be alot more, i might consider leaving in the end of January, just to make my money go that little bit furthur.

Thanks alot for your help on this matter.

your biggest price rise will be air fares which escalate around early to mid December.

so try to get away by end of Nov.that should be ok.

Hotels tend to get packed out as you move into December.

cant see why anything else should escalate. maybe bar fines over xmas/new years.

xmas meals . take some xmas puds and brussels sprouts as they are rare in BKK.

IMHO

I reckon 600 quid a month is going to be a bit tight, particularly if you're 'on vacation'. If you spend 160 (400 Baht x 30) on rent that leaves you with 15 quid (that's around 1000 Baht) a day for EVERYTHING else,

I'm shifting 1 - 1.5 grand UK (although I am running a vehicle and a wife), if at all possible aim at 800 - 1k per month (you can always stay longer or save any surplus for next time :o ).

Having said that, there are teachers 'existing' on 500 quid a month all in, and the locals can keep a family on 80.

Just my 2p worth, enjoy yourself (I'm sure you will).

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO

I reckon 600 quid a month is going to be a bit tight, particularly if you're 'on vacation'. If you spend 160 (400 Baht x 30) on rent that leaves you with 15 quid (that's around 1000 Baht) a day for EVERYTHING else,

I'm shifting 1 - 1.5 grand UK (although I am running a vehicle and a wife), if at all possible aim at 800 - 1k per month (you can always stay longer or save any surplus for next time :o ).

Having said that, there are teachers 'existing' on 500 quid a month all in, and the locals can keep a family on 80.

Just my 2p worth, enjoy yourself (I'm sure you will).

I reckon 1000 baht aday excluding rent wouln't be tight at all. My average day would be something like this: 300 baht for a 1 hour message, 250 baht for food, and then that leaves what 450baht for other things...

6 months in BKK? wouldn't you want to travel a little and see some of the country during your stay?

Mind you I find it hard to spend 6 hours in BKK.

I personally would not be able to survive on your budget, but then again I do not have to. The more fun coupons you have, the more fun you will have.

moral: only you know how much you can live off.

Best of luck to you mate, I am sure you will have a great stay.

Keep in touch with us here at TV as there are always "mini meet ups" in BKK and there abouts.