Girl In Bangkok Tollway Accident Sued For Bt36M

webfact

What do you think a law suit normally entails? You calculate lost and go after it. I am not understanding where these comments are coming from, expand a bit.

I will elaborate on this.

Instead of taking out criminal action against the girl driver and her family for criminal negligence, man slaughter, driver being under aged, having no driving license, no insurance, irresponsible and negligent parents, the plaintiffs are indeed putting a price tag on the value of their son’s life.

For example, if one of the victims was killed on a motorbike, only earning 3000 baht a month as a noodle seller, his/her life is worth nothing?

And why has this girl and her parents not been locked up? This is a criminal case, so what involvement have the police in all this?

This is justice for the idle rich that can afford to take out a civil case; the whole thing is a farce.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, if the police don't do their job properly lets hope the civil court does.

We surely should all understand, that if this case involved the everyday Somchai.....he would have been imprisoned for some time. That's where she belongs. I say, proceed with the civil suit and criminal charges.

Remember: this country has the best law that money can buy.

"unfortunately" for the girl, people killed in the bus come from not too dissimilar backgrounds: generally well educated and likely to be inclined to stand up for their rights. Probably a few strings that they can pull as well.

This issue won't be swept under the carpet as easily as say, the Lao girl who was killed.

You are always defending Thais (and rightly so at times). But don't you agree that this is one of the biggest problems in Thailand. Getting justice when the rich and powerful are involved. I am not so sure if the 36 million is an ok sum. If they start with this then soon everyone will get sued and car insurance will increase.

The least of my worries would be that my insurance goes up. The reasons that premiums are so high in this country is because a very large percentage of drivers are uninsured (just as this girl).

If my kid had been involved in this accident and the only way to get any recompense would be to sue, then I would sue. She is accused of wrongdoing, and as yet, we see no movement on the cases that she will face. Will she ever see any custodial punishment? I doubt it very much. She was driving illegally and was thus breaking the law. Some could say that her offence amounts to manslaughter. I wonder what the standard sentence is for this? She should be tried quickly, and there should be an element of financial penalty for her wrongdoing.

Would I accept the pooyai family coming to me with 30k compensation and a big wai to say sorry? Hell no. The system allows the upper echelons of the country to get away with their wrongdoings time and time again and it is time for it to stop.

I'm just waiting for the forum bleeding heart to arrive and suggest that the various victims families should pay the offender for her trouble. rolleyes.gif Anyone thats been following the TV threads on this matter know its highly likely laugh.gif

"unfortunately" for the girl, people killed in the bus come from not too dissimilar backgrounds: generally well educated and likely to be inclined to stand up for their rights. Probably a few strings that they can pull as well.

This issue won't be swept under the carpet as easily as say, the Lao girl who was killed.

You are always defending Thais (and rightly so at times). But don't you agree that this is one of the biggest problems in Thailand. Getting justice when the rich and powerful are involved. I am not so sure if the 36 million is an ok sum. If they start with this then soon everyone will get sued and car insurance will increase.

The least of my worries would be that my insurance goes up. The reasons that premiums are so high in this country is because a very large percentage of drivers are uninsured (just as this girl).

If my kid had been involved in this accident and the only way to get any recompense would be to sue, then I would sue. She is accused of wrongdoing, and as yet, we see no movement on the cases that she will face. Will she ever see any custodial punishment? I doubt it very much. She was driving illegally and was thus breaking the law. Some could say that her offence amounts to manslaughter. I wonder what the standard sentence is for this? She should be tried quickly, and there should be an element of financial penalty for her wrongdoing.

Would I accept the pooyai family coming to me with 30k compensation and a big wai to say sorry? Hell no. The system allows the upper echelons of the country to get away with their wrongdoings time and time again and it is time for it to stop.

Well said.

Any parents that truly care about their kids would ask for real compensation from a maniac on the wheels. This was not an ACCIDENT this was a crazy kid with no knowledge of the road, uninsured, driving like a maniac. An accident is driving at around the speedlimit in your own lane without changing every 10meters then having a tire explode and losing control of the car, thus smashing the car next to you. And for that to be a real accident, you would need to not be talking on the phone which is close to imposible for the average thai.

36mil might be a little too much for this country, but the family is rich, they can pay long term, the death were useful to society AND the more you ask, the more you will get after the judges decides to cut the amount. No matter how much you ask, you won't get the full amount so better just go big

...and drivers will start to fear enough to drive sane. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Cut a lass in half when driving you Hi-So car pay out 350,000 baht ,deal done. you've got money here the lower orders are expendable.

However in the motorway case someone with a bit of clout is willing to stand up and fight.

Let's hope it starts the ball rolling for all the other unfortunate victims in Thailand.

Certainly in the U.K. courts damages would be calculated upon an earnings projection as I am sure would be the case in The U.S.

I personally have no sympathy for the driver of the car, under aged, unskilled, basically aiming a 1 ton plus piece of steel like a misguided missile with tragic consequences.

Her family are guilty by virtue of aiding and abetting the young girl in her actions prior to and after the tragic event

My sentiments exactly.

Whether or not the outcome of these civil proceedings will be as successful for the plaintiff as desired probably doesn't matter (at least IMHO) as much as the fact that there is somebody willing to take this matter to a point of accountability which sadly just happens way too seldom in this country,... and if the victims (such as in this case) had been poor ignorant farmers or "blue collar" workers then we wouldn't be seeing any civil hearings or otherwise as civil laws and legal aid are non existent in this country.

I'll be surprised if this gets through court in under 4 years as the ways and means of dragging things on (aided by the inept inefficiencies of the Thai (civil) judicial system) are just mind boggling to say the least.

I say hurray to the bringing on of this case,... we need many more instances like this consistantly over the years ahead and then gradually it may make some difference and make people think twice before driving dangerously and with complete care and abandon with regards to the welfare of others.

Where are all the civil rights and pro-bono lawyers when they're needed?.... come out come out wherever you are! :unsure:

What do you think a law suit normally entails? You calculate lost and go after it. I am not understanding where these comments are coming from, expand a bit.

Instead of taking out criminal action against the girl driver and her family for criminal negligence, man slaughter, driver being under aged, having no driving license, no insurance, irresponsible and negligent parents, the plaintiffs are indeed putting a price tag on the value of their son's life.

For example, if one of the victims was killed on a motorbike, only earning 3000 baht a month as a noodle seller, his/her life is worth nothing?

And why has this girl and her parents not been locked up? This is a criminal case, so what involvement have the police in all this?

This is justice for the idle rich that can afford to take out a civil case; the whole thing is a farce.

Even for a 3000/month noodle maker, that would be 720,000B over 20 yrs, for the next of kin. That is better than 62 wais and 30,000B

OR behaviour will change. In America, where I am from, lawyers are out of control and judgements for frivilous lawsuits are "beyond the pale". That said, I have seen no other mechanism except massive punitive damages that has affected great behavioral change.

That's not her side of the story, she never said she was driving like a maniac..no one said that..they are not sure exactly what happened.. I have been driving since I was 16 years old and when I was 16 I drove fine, if anything I was a little bit more careful because I was new..

This girl said that it was the minivan driver that was driving wrecklessly, that he cut her off twice and the second time she couldn't stop in time and thats when the collision occured..and you know what.. I believe HER I have been in a thai minibus and just the other day in the bangkok post there was a letter about how wreckless these minibus drivers are.. thankgod I have my own car now and I don't have to take a minibus to the border every three months and roll the dice that the minibus driver doesn't get into a headon collision while he has his foot to the floor the whole time on a 2 lane road overtaking cars even though the road is curving and the solid line on the road means don't pass..the minibus driver was always some middleaged Thai man that is likly poorly paid so he just wants to get the tedius task done that he has to do everyday.. i thought minibus drivers were wreckless when they were driving foreigners--and you know they will drive a little slower because foreigners like me get scarred and we complain and tell him to cool it so we can make it home in one peice, but he still dives like it's the daytona 500..

Now..imagine a minibus driver at night, with all Thai pasangers, and you know that Thai people don't bitch like us foreigners because they beleive you should always be polite and Buddah will give you good luck as long as your a decent person..so I'm guessing this particular minibus driver was driving like bat out of hell on steroids and high on yaba(even though he wasn't on yaba he was probably driving like it..

lemme say again, I believe HER, or atleast I would get into a car with a thai 16 year old rich girl before i get into one of those minivans with the frustrated middleaged thai male.. i take taxis in bangkok all the time and i never worry about them, they seem calm and professional, but minivan drivers on longer distance runs..NOTSAFE.

Well said.

Any parents that truly care about their kids would ask for real compensation from a maniac on the wheels. This was not an ACCIDENT this was a crazy kid with no knowledge of the road, uninsured, driving like a maniac. An accident is driving at around the speedlimit in your own lane without changing every 10meters then having a tire explode and losing control of the car, thus smashing the car next to you. And for that to be a real accident, you would need to not be talking on the phone which is close to imposible for the average thai.

36mil might be a little too much for this country, but the family is rich, they can pay long term, the death were useful to society AND the more you ask, the more you will get after the judges decides to cut the amount. No matter how much you ask, you won't get the full amount so better just go big

Fact is that it were a 16 year old driving without a license. an example have to be made and people have to learn to live with the consequences of their actions or nothing will change.

36 million sounds like a lot but I wouldn't lose my child for a measly 36 million.

That's not her side of the story, she never said she was driving like a maniac..no one said that..they are not sure exactly what happened.. I have been driving since I was 16 years old and when I was 16 I drove fine, if anything I was a little bit more careful because I was new..

This girl said that it was the minivan driver that was driving wrecklessly, that he cut her off twice and the second time she couldn't stop in time and thats when the collision occured..and you know what.. I believe HER I have been in a thai minibus and just the other day in the bangkok post there was a letter about how wreckless these minibus drivers are.. thankgod I have my own car now and I don't have to take a minibus to the border every three months and roll the dice that the minibus driver doesn't get into a headon collision while he has his foot to the floor the whole time on a 2 lane road overtaking cars even though the road is curving and the solid line on the road means don't pass..the minibus driver was always some middleaged Thai man that is likly poorly paid so he just wants to get the tedius task done that he has to do everyday.. i thought minibus drivers were wreckless when they were driving foreigners--and you know they will drive a little slower because foreigners like me get scarred and we complain and tell him to cool it so we can make it home in one peice, but he still dives like it's the daytona 500..

Now..imagine a minibus driver at night, with all Thai pasangers, and you know that Thai people don't bitch like us foreigners because they beleive you should always be polite and Buddah will give you good luck as long as your a decent person..so I'm guessing this particular minibus driver was driving like bat out of hell on steroids and high on yaba(even though he wasn't on yaba he was probably driving like it..

lemme say again, I believe HER, or atleast I would get into a car with a thai 16 year old rich girl before i get into one of those minivans with the frustrated middleaged thai male.. i take taxis in bangkok all the time and i never worry about them, they seem calm and professional, but minivan drivers on longer distance runs..NOTSAFE.

Well said.

There's videos proving that the girl was at fault, AT WORSE she was an inexperienced driver with no insurance that was scared shitless and still kept close to the minibus supposedly taunting her(why would she still be in front of him if he had passed her twice?)

The slow scared drivers are some of the worse, they are the ones that u-turn in the fast lane at 10kph and hide on the side of the road(the 30cm of space between the fast lane and the ditch), thinking there's enough space for the fast oncoming cars to pass by them.

Rich Thai brat kills some lower class Thai.....zzzzzzzz....family pays 30,000 baht, and looks sorry at the funeral....zzzzzzzzzz...... 36 MILLION BAHT lawsuit ??? Holy shit !!! I hate lawyers like poison, and feel like they are a massive blight upon society. But somewhere between hi-so Thais running over lo-so Thais like they are soi dogs and getting away with it, and the insane lawsuits of America, there must be a reasonable middle ground. A reasonable level of financial pain felt by the offending family must give their fellow hi-so parents second thoughts about buying Porsches for their brats on their 16th birthday.

I still remember about 8 years ago at one of the shopping centers there was some kind of kiddie monorail set up for kids to ride around in. Bad wiring caused the little car to catch on fire, and roasted to death some cute little kid that was inside. Total compensation paid out by the shopping center was 300,000 baht. I still remember that number, as it seemed very odd to me at the time that the court system would place such a low value on the life of a child....

The van driver who unfortunately will never be able to tell their version of events was a 38 year old female...

36,000,000 baht.

28 years.

1,285,000 per year.

107,000 per month.

From 50,000 per month salary?

Maybe annual pay rises are factored in.

Do you still get paid the same salary as you were 28 years ago?

OK. I suppose it depends on how the money is paid to them, then. Not that I expect any, or that much, will be paid anyway.

edit: after some calcs ... if he were to get a 5% salary increase every year, he would only earn 35 mil baht. Are they suggesting that he gave all his salary to them?

Hi All,

if you have read the small article you could read also following: "A fellow lecturer said the institute had also suffered huge financial damage following 10 years of its spending on Sastra and the scholarship it had granted him."

So the 36M baht is a combined sum of loss of support and loss from the institute who suffered huge financial damage (although I doubt that a bit :ermm: ).

Please all of you look up & read about an AMBIT CLAIM before posting anymore chatter like this. The press love to jump on amibt claims to provide readership & you are falling for it hook-line and sinker.

As an aside. How many times have we seen rich kiddies - both male and female - driving high performance - or not so high performance sedans - away from nightime entertainment places in Bangkok in the early hours of the morning. Drinks consumed. Alcohol levels exceeded. No seat belts and totally indifferent to any law enforcement that may impose itself upon them at two - three - four - five o'clock in the morning as they whiz confidentally from one hot spot to another in the pursuit of a good time?

This will happen tonight - a hundred or so times over - as it will happen tomorrow night and the night after that. And so on.

Rick kids. No worries. Daddy and Mummy will cover their <deleted> if anything unfortunate happens. Like murder and manslaughter.

IME the working class are pretty frustrated everywhere. Ask any actuary which group is higher risk to drive with/around/near.... Folks with no worries in the world or folks who have overdue rent, Aeon bills, and have borrowed against their next payslip?

:)

This girl wasn't exactly driving recklessly, and she was perhaps more confident and capable of driving on the highway than many older people who have recently acquired a licence, where she screwed up was to driver under age, and being from a rich family has drawn attention to herself, when an accident occurs it can result in a bashed car or by ill fortune, a deadly crash, as in this case, amplifying the case.

By due to the arrogance of being a young rich kid believing she can get away with anything, she now has to get her daddy to pay through the nose to avoid her having to do any uncomfortable punishment. Where she loses out is that she stands to inherit far less wealth from her family when all is settled.

She was involved in an accident that killed nine people!! I think that speaks for itself regarding "driving recklessly.” Anyone driving w/o a license, under age AND not being properly trained IS driving recklessly by definition. However, you are correct, there are a multitude of drivers in this country who drive recklessly; many of them taxi drivers. I personally think that this law suit is absolutely great. hope they have to pay the full amount, too!!! may be the uber rich in this country will start thinking twice about how their actions affect the masses of this country, people not born to privilege or entitlement. While a lot of western countries have become super litigious, this lawsuit has great merit. Hey, when you make a mistake, and kill nine people doing so, you pay for that mistake. If the criminal system won’t exact justice, than the civil/judicial system should step in and fight for the little guy. Nine people died, probably because both her and the mini bus driver couldn’t drive worth a dam_n, but when you are unlicensed and untrained YOU AUTOMATICALLY TAKE THE FAULT. that’s they way sh*t tumbles!!! get used to it!! And it’s her parents that should pay because ultimately they are responsible for every action she does, legally, as she is a minor.

How about that photo??? Has Paris Hilton come to town to answer a judicial summons. Her Mom claims she’s “stressed out” over the incident. How about the loved ones of the NINE PEOPLE WHO DIED??? I’m guessing there stress level is rather high at this time.

Instead of taking out criminal action against the girl driver and her family for criminal negligence, man slaughter, driver being under aged, having no driving license, no insurance, irresponsible and negligent parents, the plaintiffs are indeed putting a price tag on the value of their son’s life.

I'd also suggest legal fees as a percentage?

Does such detailed video exist? this is a cam at the tollbooth and there's noway you could get any detail as the cars were approaching from a distance, or lets see this video..

http://www.thailandnews.co/2010/12/bangkok-tollway-accident-driver-of-sedan-was-a-16-year-old-girl/

"Police have not yet charged the unidentified girl, and are compiling more evidence in the case. Footage from traffic cameras shows a brief moment in the accident – a burst at the point of impact from the white Honda Civic she was driving for about 70 metres to standstill – before the van veered off the lane, and out of camera view."

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20101230-255533.html

"Vibhavadi police, meanwhile, have questioned the girl's mother and called on witnesses to volunteer information. "

Why were the police asking for "witnesses to volunteer information" if there is such detailed video proving it was the girl driving reckless and not the minivan driver?

http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20101230-255533/2.html

"hings remained quite inconclusive as experts appeared to contradict one another yesterday over the Monday night smash-up on the elevated tollway section of Vibhavadi-Rangsit Highway, which killed eight people and injured six others."

The fact is that the girl claims the minivan cut her off-and that's why she was trailing so close and why she slammed into it.. the ONLY reason everyone is blaming this girl is because she is rich and a young girl, people keep saying she was only 16, I was driving when I was 16, you only need to be 16 in most countries to drive, i never had any problems driving a car when I was sixteen.. i'll say this again-i'll get into a car with this girl before i ever get into another budget thai minivan, been there, done that-was dam_n glad the trip was over..i think there must be quite a few visa runners that feel the same way

I'm driving in this country now, I know I drive safer than 90% of the other cars on the road, but I also know that if I get into an accident they're going to blame me and say because I am a foreigner than I must have been the cause of the accident..

lets make sure this girl was really driving so crazy before we assume she should spend 7 years in a thai prison for manslaughter..

she won't spend anytime in prison because her rich family will pay off the families of the victims, that's just the way it works here, if it's ok with the victims families to take monetary compensation then so be it. the media and internet blogs should stop berating this young girl.

Well said.

There's videos proving that the girl was at fault, AT WORSE she was an inexperienced driver with no insurance that was scared shitless and still kept close to the minibus supposedly taunting her(why would she still be in front of him if he had passed her twice?)

The slow scared drivers are some of the worse, they are the ones that u-turn in the fast lane at 10kph and hide on the side of the road(the 30cm of space between the fast lane and the ditch), thinking there's enough space for the fast oncoming cars to pass by them.

36,000,000 baht.

28 years.

1,285,000 per year.

107,000 per month.

From 50,000 per month salary?

Maybe annual pay rises are factored in.

Do you still get paid the same salary as you were 28 years ago?

OK. I suppose it depends on how the money is paid to them, then. Not that I expect any, or that much, will be paid anyway.

edit: after some calcs ... if he were to get a 5% salary increase every year, he would only earn 35 mil baht. Are they suggesting that he gave all his salary to them?

Boy, you ignorant souls. Don't you know the guy was going to win the lottery within the next 10-years? The mom's chances of winning the Thai lottery was just cut in half.

Her son died, God bless his soul. But was he going to give her every single baht he would be making? Would he be working forever in that same career through the 28 years? That amount may be too farfetched. I think the court would tell his mother to settle for abit more than 30K and go get a job or go give birth to another cow to milk.

Her son died, God bless his soul. But was he going to give her every single baht he would be making? Would he be working forever in that same career through the 28 years? That amount may be too farfetched. I think the court would tell his mother to settle for abit more than 30K and go get a job or go give birth to another cow to milk.

ooh, that hurts. Yikes.

In this country, you just learn to take the small amount, and hire a good hitman...or two. Thai Justice 101.

Don't you think that run a way crazy law suits might be part of whats wrong with the USA today?blink.gif

In the USA at least, compensatory damages are differentiated from punitive damages ...