Cloning A Mulberry Tree

I know 'cloning' is not the correct term here but I am at a loss for the correct word!!!

I've got two fantastic Mulberry Trees in my yard that are in full fruit just now. They are wonderful sweet berries.

I have friends that would like to, OK here it is again, 'clone' my tree. You know, take a branch and attach it to another tree and let it grow.

How is this done if it is possible?

I have certainly shown my utter lack of knowledge in this area now haven't I?

Thanks

I have watched this method on mango, jack fruit, lamyai, etc

Pick a good looking branch go back about 2 or 3 foot from tip/end

girdle the bark off around the branch over about a 2 to 3 inch interval

apply root stimulator

add a layer of moss over the wound, add more stimulator on moss fiber

cover with plastic bag, seal , when root start to develop, cut off between tree and plastic and transplant to pot for a few months, to get a healthy, larger, tree to set out.

There are several members who can clarify and set straight this procedure. I watched the neighbor do this on several trees to get stock for his small orchard. Seems like he started this during the rainy season

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it should be somewhat easy enough. Seems patience will be the key in letting them mature enough to produce fruit.

Sure am happy mine put out so much delicious fruit!!!

Thanks again...

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it should be somewhat easy enough. Seems patience will be the key in letting them mature enough to produce fruit.

I usually put my hardwood cuttings, with leaves removed, vertically in a pot of potting compost, water well, and then put a plastic bag over the top to stop everything drying out (tie a piece of string around the circumference) and place in a shady place to prevent the sun making it too hot inside the bag. Eventually (after about 3 weeks) roots and new leaves will be made. So then rip a hole in the top of the bag and water well. Then over the next few hours gradually make the hole bigger to reduce the humidity and allow the plants to get used to drier air. Likewise gradually move them to a sunnier position so that they get used to the bright sun. You can root several cuttings in one pot. After being hardened off you can plant them in your garden (try not to disturb the roots too much).

In the rainy season you can put them directly in the soil like SoiDog2 suggests. But I usually put them in vertically, e.g. if say the cuttings are 20cm long, put them halfway in the ground.

If well taken care of, I reckon you should see fruit within 12 months. If you prune them back after fruiting you can get a second crop in the same year (i.e. two crops a year is possible).

I guess you know that mulberries are the source of food for silkworms - they eat the leaves, not fruit. So there are some government sericulture centres around Thailand where you can buy mulberry plants at low cost. There are several varieties. They all give fruit but I heard that "Chiang Mai 60" is good for fruit production.

JB