Tonys Gym

ESB7

Been to gyms all over the world and this has to be about the worst ever...........air con never on, so its actually hotter inside than out.....staff smoking...if not

smoking then either sleeping or laying on the only adjustable weights bench watching TV...after 2 months not even recieved membership card....some of the equiptment is cheap and am sure not safe, would hate to think if someone had an accident as the staff wouldnt even notice.............I certainly for one wont be renewing my membership...........so apart from California wow, any recomendations

what gym did you use ? soi bukaew ? the gym in south pattaya is good with very good equipment , ive never had a problem apart from the muay thai trainers asking me for a tip even before they started teaching me. i allready paid my monthly membership up front and i think they pushed me too hard at start , maybe to try put me off going , therefore the gym made 3200 baht and they had no one to train if i had of left . did not go back to learn muay thai in tonys gym after that.

Edited by dmax

We tried them all..

Tony is for slum, scum and tattooed bikers

Wow California should change its name to WOW KATOEY! :D

There is only one great Gym in Pattaya... FAIRTEXT on North Pattaya Road.

It has professional friendly staff and every kind of sport you can imagine:

- Weights, machines, cardio

- MuaiThai instructors for beginners

- Tennis courts, Squash courts, Basketball court, football court

- Indoor batminton/tabletennis hall

- Rock Climbing wall

- Olympic size pool

- Yoga, Zen, Arobic (and all those things)

- Raw Food restaurant (quite good actually)

- etc.. etc.. etc..

Usually you pay 15,000 for a whole year with unlimited access to everything (even instructors included)

We have a company discount so we only pay 13,000 pr. person pr. year.

We been using Fairtex for 4 years now and we are VERY happy...

Its worth every penny!

(and I lost 15 kg in 7 months there - pretty good for a lazy fatty like me :-D)

Try Tony's gym on 3rd road near where it crosses Pattaya Tai, lots of cardio eqt, machines and free weights....

JH

There are 2 Tony's gyms near that intersection, left and right. Which one are you referring to?

We tried them all..

- Rock Climbing wall

- Olympic size pool

- etc.. etc.. etc..

Usually you pay 15,000 for a whole year with unlimited access to everything (even instructors included)

Its worth every penny!

That sounds perfect, cheers..maybe a little expensive but worth paying the extra I think..

We tried them all..

- Rock Climbing wall

- Olympic size pool

- etc.. etc.. etc..

Its worth every penny!

The "main" Tony's on 3rd Road and Pattaya Tai is fine for what you pay...don't know about all the smaller satallite branches. You get a large selection of free weights and machines and tons of cardio equipement spread out among two floors of space so never crowded. I never understand the complaints about no/lack of air-con at a gym...I go to gyms to work-up a sweat so actually prefer ones with limited or no air-cons. You also get access to their pool, tennis courts, sauna, etc. My only complaint is the shower facilities inside the toilet stalls is sorta gross.

Fairchild is also very nice from what I can tell from the tours I have taken...and they are now offering a special of B 9000 for a "fitness only" membership and B 18,000 for "all sports."

The "main" Tony's on 3rd Road and Pattaya Tai is fine for what you pay...don't know about all the smaller satallite branches. You get a large selection of free weights and machines and tons of cardio equipement spread out among two floors of space so never crowded. I never understand the complaints about no/lack of air-con at a gym...I go to gyms to work-up a sweat so actually prefer ones with limited or no air-cons. You also get access to their pool, tennis courts, sauna, etc. My only complaint is the shower facilities inside the toilet stalls is sorta gross.

Which is the "main" Tony's you're talking about. There are 2 double story Tony's gyms on both sides of the road almost directly opposite of each other. If you pay the 6000 baht (or is it now 8000?) you can use both.

If all you want to do is work up a sweat, save the trouble and sit in a sauna. Excessive heat is counterproductive to getting fit, strong or both. You're confusing heat acclimatisation with fitness. If it is cooler you can burn more calories by working out harder. You can still sweat but you'll have to work harder to get it up. There's no point sweating in a hot gym thinking you are working out hard. I can drench my t-shirt in California Wow where the aircon is quite cool.

Which is the "main" Tony's you're talking about. There are 2 double story Tony's gyms on both sides of the road almost directly opposite of each other. If you pay the 6000 baht (or is it now 8000?) you can use both.

If all you want to do is work up a sweat, save the trouble and sit in a sauna. Excessive heat is counterproductive to getting fit, strong or both. You're confusing heat acclimatisation with fitness. If it is cooler you can burn more calories by working out harder. You can still sweat but you'll have to work harder to get it up. There's no point sweating in a hot gym thinking you are working out hard. I can drench my t-shirt in California Wow where the aircon is quite cool.

The "main" gym is both buildings found at the southern end of 3rd Road. You get use of both (and the satellite branches) with a membership.

I don't necessary like a warm gym to "help" me sweat...I can do that pretty well myself...it just makes my old muscles less stiff and feel more limber.

I don't necessary like a warm gym to "help" me sweat...I can do that pretty well myself...it just makes my old muscles less stiff and feel more limber.

Yes, the warmer temperature certainly help with warming up older joints. I find Tony's gyms pretty warm even when the aircon is on. The Thai staff at the instructions of Tony quickly go around turning units off when they (people born to live in tropical heat) feel it's too cold by their estimation. My wife feels cold when temperatures get down to 27.

Yes, the warmer temperature certainly help with warming up older joints. I find Tony's gyms pretty warm even when the aircon is on. The Thai staff at the instructions of Tony quickly go around turning units off when they (people born to live in tropical heat) feel it's too cold by their estimation. My wife feels cold when temperatures get down to 27.

At least in the late mornings when I'm there, the air-con units areusually blasting away and the fans are on as well (I work out in the building on the east side of the road). In fact, I unplug the fan and tilt the vent away from me of the over-head air-con unit adjacent/above the treadmill I'm using because I don't like the cool air blasting on me. Also, keep in mind that at least the east building is a huge 2 storey open-air structure that is not easy to keep very cool.

Basically, for around US$ 350 per year, I can't complain about much at the main Tony's. Sure it takes them awhile to repair some of the aerobic machines when they break down but there are so many of them that it's never a problem finding another one. There is also a very extensive range of free and machine weights to please just about anyone. Just the locker and shower facilities are pretty meager.

Edited by FarangBuddha

- Rock Climbing wall

- Olympic size pool

- etc.. etc.. etc..

Dropped in today to check it out again and their current rates are as I posted. They also have a rate of B 12,000 if you want to use the fitness room and the pool. The range of free-weights and machines in nothing close to what Tony's offers. The number of aerobic machines is adequate (only one bike however...but tons of treadmills) but they are sorta crammed together is a rather small space...as are the weights/machines. The locker rooms and shower facilities are much nicer than Tony's. If one really only needed a place for light workouts, it is fine but for someone doing more serious training, Tony's probably better.

If you want to play tennis, boxing/muay Thai, squash, badminton, basketball, and such...the Fairtex facilities for this stuff is very nice.

Try Tony's gym on 3rd road near where it crosses Pattaya Tai, lots of cardio eqt, machines and free weights....

JH

There are 2 Tony's gyms near that intersection, left and right. Which one are you referring to?

The one on the same side of the raod as his food court, next to muay thai training place.

JH

-No gym is perfect and it depends if you are one of those grunters bench pressing a zillion kilos or one that want a good cardio and gym workout with a variety of free weights and machines. Tony's main fitness center is not bad for the price (and true, its help are not professionals); CA Wow is trendy with a variety of machines - but it gets croweded with posers and vacationers after 6pm (and CA's staff is out to sell memberships not to keep the weight room tidy or get to know the regular members)..then there are the fitness centers at the 5 star hotels which offer a decent selection of machines and weights with a decent, friendly staff --but their annual memberships are usually over 20,000 baht (with the use of their pools, saunas, and steam rooms). Fairtex has a good, basic fitness center for the "non-grunters" and the staff is helpful.

CA Wow is trendy with a variety of machines - but it gets croweded with posers and vacationers after 6pm (and CA's staff is out to sell memberships not to keep the weight room tidy or get to know the regular members).

I joined CA WOW n December after a few months at Tony's gym on Soi Bukhao.

In my opinion it is an excellent place. I've been virtually everyday since (mostly in the mornings admittedly - but have been a few times in the evening over the last week or two) - and I have yet to wait for a machine; with the number of treadmills and other cardio equipment there I cannot imagine a queue forming and there's a variety of weight mahines available for every possible muscle group. As for poseurs and vacationers? well I think a good gym is for all types of people.

I paid 8000 for a year and consider it money well spent.

Londo

I liked the idea of Tonys as it is open 24/7 and the prices seemed good, although since I joined the prices have been reduced but thats neither here nor there...I object to working out in a gym that is probably close to 90 degrees, in a fitness environment employing staff that smoke and smell of it when they come back in, also staff lounging over the equipment watching TV and me and other members having to ask them to move.....the free weights are actually dangerous, at the end of each shift a member of staff should check all free weights and tighten with an Allen key if needed, the weights in Tonys have been loose for almost a week...so no safety whatsoever...thats what I have come across at Tonys and as said certainly wont be renewing my membership...Fairex I think will be the next option

I liked the idea of Tonys as it is open 24/7 and the prices seemed good, although since I joined the prices have been reduced but thats neither here nor there...I object to working out in a gym that is probably close to 90 degrees, in a fitness environment employing staff that smoke and smell of it when they come back in, also staff lounging over the equipment watching TV and me and other members having to ask them to move.....the free weights are actually dangerous, at the end of each shift a member of staff should check all free weights and tighten with an Allen key if needed, the weights in Tonys have been loose for almost a week...so no safety whatsoever...thats what I have come across at Tonys and as said certainly wont be renewing my membership...Fairex I think will be the next option

Lighten up. We're in Thailand and you're paying around 250 bucks a year. The least you can do is screw the DB's tight before you use them - LOL I've been doing that for years at the Soi 16 Tony's gym. In these places no one is really into safety, so you must be careful because you're on your own ... and no one will be paying you out in a liability claim.

These are some of the negatives you get in Thailand, but along with that you get more freedom to do what you want.

Lighten up. We're in Thailand and you're paying around 250 bucks a year. The least you can do is screw the DB's tight before you use them - LOL I've been doing that for years at the Soi 16 Tony's gym. In these places no one is really into safety, so you must be careful because you're on your own ... and no one will be paying you out in a liability claim.

These are some of the negatives you get in Thailand, but along with that you get more freedom to do what you want.

Read my original post...I have been to gyms worldwide and quite a few different ones in Thailand over the past 6 years, and never have I encountered one like Tonys...I am all for freedom etc but that isnt an excuse for laziness/sloppiness...and for $250 a year I can get better service elsewhere

Read my original post...I have been to gyms worldwide and quite a few different ones in Thailand over the past 6 years, and never have I encountered one like Tonys...I am all for freedom etc but that isnt an excuse for laziness/sloppiness...and for $250 a year I can get better service elsewhere

Tony's is good value for the money.

I have not encountered the same problems with staff that you have.

Maybe your expectations are too high!

Obviously it depends on what you use a gym for, but for heavy iron users Tony's represents exceptional value. I don't care about service, as long as there is enough iron....I sign in, change and head for the weights. As soon as I'm done I head out. What service is required? Do you need someone to carry the weights around for you?

Obviously it depends on what you use a gym for, but for heavy iron users Tony's represents exceptional value. I don't care about service, as long as there is enough iron....I sign in, change and head for the weights. As soon as I'm done I head out. What service is required? Do you need someone to carry the weights around for you?

Agreed...if you want more fru-fru, then maybe Cal. Wow would be more to one's taste. If you primarily want weights and cardio machines then Tony's is hard to beat.

Id stay well away from California Wow and have a visit to WKO on Pattaya Klang, good value and clean,safe.

Each to their own. I have very good workouts at California Wow. What's your problem there?

Tony's is currently promoting a B 14,999 "lifetime membership." The promotion is good for new and renewal sign-ups on 21 April only.

Don't know if this is a good or a bad (desperate) sign...one last chance to pull in a bunch of cash before shutting down the operation...or maybe Mr. T is having cash-flow problems :whistling:

Edited by FarangBuddha

Tony's is currently promoting a B 14,999 "lifetime membership." The promotion is good for new and renewal sign-ups on 21 April only.

Don't know if this is a good or a bad (desperate) sign...one last chance to pull in a bunch of cash before shutting down the operation...or maybe Mr. T is having cash-flow problems :whistling:

that's the price i got mine for in 2007 - must be desperation !! still, i've had my moneys worth if it goes tits up.

Went up to Tony's yesterday on soi 16 off Walking St and they have moved across to where the nightclub is.

They have all the equipment on three different floors now.

The bulk of the weights were upstairs and it was really hot and I mean really hot.

Don't particularly like the new layout at all.

Might start going to Third Road.

Saw exactly the same promotion about one week ago,the advert on one of those tony's scrapyard pick ups said. Promotion ONLY TODAY.

Guess it is the same practice as " tomorrow free beer "