Which Visas? Us Dad 50+, Us Child, Thai Wife

(My computer OS crashed and I lost the info I've gathered here over the years in preparation. Now I have back-up! I did search but my situation is a bit unique)

• Relocating July/August 2011
  • I'm 50+ years
  • US child
  • Thai wife in US on 10 year permanent residence status
  • If my house sells we have enough in the bank on deposit - 800,000B correct?
  • If it doesn't sell we have enough anyway and some income - 25,000B per month correct?

I'd like to apply in Thailand, not at an embassy in another state here in US, for non-O. How does my child's visa work? Will the child's visa need more trips out of country? Please advise where and how. Also, is there a better way and is my plan wrong?

:wai:

Edited by ding

I think others might give you different slant on what you ask. Were I you I'd get my wife to apply for US citizenship. It's going really quick after your application is sent maybe 3-4 months till citizenship test, that if she passes she'll receive her citizenship papers that very day. Just look over the 100 questions and know the answers they'll choose maybe 6 to ask. You be sent the questions and a DVD when you send in her application. Then get her US passport, two weeks or so.

Having options is the reason I suggest this. After 6-12 months I'm sure her green card would NOT be good anymore and if for some reason you wanted to return to the US she would have to reapply for a green card and that takes time. Returning for any number of reason from education for your child, for work, to visit the parents, illness, whatever keep your options open. That said she should enter the Kingdom with her Thai passport. If entering under her new US passport she'd be required to get a visa. That's an extra expense and hassle you don't need. Its ok with the US to have more than one countries passport

As far as money its $400,000 baht for spouse of Thai. As your wife is Thai she won't have to have that money. I don't know about children if it would be necessary. Someone else will post on that

I believe its $40,000 baht per month per person

What I'm saying really is have your wife get her US citizenship, but have her enter as a Thai using her Thai Passport not the US one. Go online and start the process by downloading the info

Requirements for 12 month extensions of stay based on Retirement.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

You could also apply for the reason of having a Thai Wife with smaller financial requirements.

If your child is under 20 he/she can get 12 month extensions as your Dependant.

If your child is at school can also get 12 month extension as a student.

Have a look at the Police Order.

Police Order 2008.pdf

We came back because my wife wants to go to university here and since we knew we would be out of the US for more than a year we did the citizenship thing. I actually took us 8 months and we had to get a US representive involved to get those bureaucrats to make a damm decision. As it was we had to drive to Miami the day before our departure to get her passport.

The 10 year green card should be ok if your planning to be in Thailand less than a year. It gets a little gray after that. There is a form she would want to file before you leave the US to indicate that she is not abandoning the green card. There's also some documentation that you should think about to support her intention to return. There's a lot of good information here and on visadreams.

Citizenship is not a given. My wife breezed through the visa, the 1 year green card and the 10 year green card but they were pricks about the citizenship. This was in spite of her establishing excellent credentuals with working and 2 years of advanced english at a community college.

I hope this helps and good luck.

US child? Does that mean not Thai mother? If Thai obtain Thai passport. Otherwise would have to be under age 20 and living with you to obtain dependent extension of stay from a non immigrant visa entry (after you have obtained extension of stay). So it may mean leaving country to obtain the required visa one time.

The money must be in a bank located in Thailand for 2 months prior to first application for either Thai wife or retirement extension of stay. You should try to obtain single entry non immigrant O visa for yourself and child (if not Thai) but if you must use tourist visa it can be taken care of here later.

The child is Thai if one of the parents is Thai. Both US and Thailand have no problem with dual citizenship.

If your wife is the mother of the child, you just need to apply for a Thai birthcertificate at the Thai embassy (or consulate general) and at the same time you can apply for a Thai passport.

I should have mentioned the child is mine and a US citizen only - no blood relation to Thai wife - calls her mom tho!

I have residential custody, the farang birthmother is still alive (and definitely wont be coming with us. :D ).

Great replies, thanks a ton guys. I'm compiling and will print out a safe copy this time.

I thought it was easier to get the non-O (90days)from the Thai embassy in the US(took less than a week) before I came. You can convert a visa on arrival (30 days)but it's a major pain. When you get here open an account and deposit the 400K Probably a good idea to bring records of your US banking as well. Unlikely they will ask, but better to be prepared. Before your 90 days is up you may want to go get a income letter from the US embassy ($50) You complete the form and you state your income, they don't ask for proof. (Thai immigration is getting wise to this so keep up on the trend)The doctors slip is 300 baht and they didn't ask a single question or take a single test.

Not to pry, but do you need permission from the ex to take the child out of the US? Seems I read something about this.

I thought it was easier to get the non-O (90days)from the Thai embassy in the US(took less than a week) before I came. You can convert a visa on arrival (30 days)but it's a major pain. When you get here open an account and deposit the 400K Probably a good idea to bring records of your US banking as well. Unlikely they will ask, but better to be prepared. Before your 90 days is up you may want to go get a income letter from the US embassy ($50) You complete the form and you state your income, they don't ask for proof. (Thai immigration is getting wise to this so keep up on the trend)The doctors slip is 300 baht and they didn't ask a single question or take a single test.

Not to pry, but do you need permission from the ex to take the child out of the US? Seems I read something about this.

The requirement for Marriage is 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 monthly income . Not both.

The requirement for retirement is 800,000 in the bank OR 65,000 monthly income. OR a combination of both.

Medical certificate is not needed for either option.

If you apply for single entry non immigrant O visa in the US use your marriage certificate rather than saying you plan to retire. For retirement they are likely to want you to obtain non immigrant O-A from Embassy.

The requirement for Marriage is 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 monthly income . Not both.

The requirement for retirement is 800,000 in the bank OR 65,000 monthly income. OR a combination of both.

Thanks LB, the 400K Baht will be an easier threshold should the house not sell here. We've had a joint Bangkok Bank account since September 2007.

I'll go the 'marriage' route from Lop's advice. Exactly why I posted a thread :wai:

Yes Schooner, that's a valid question, and I have permission. From many years ago I had a formal permission to travel with child as single parent. But I found THIS customizable form too, and THIS TOO.

TLH:

We need to have enough liquid cash to return to the US for my wife's Permanent Residence card and my kid to visit the birth mom. US Social Security is a concern for us - all the way 'round lately. I do need help working out the SS/Permanent Residence card timing still. Probably going to be an Ockam's choice deal -simplest solution when it seems to be a coin toss. The relocation is partly a response to unpredictability in the US and trying to mitigate that risk by capitalizing a bit early on the wealth difference. Until the US returns to rationality, SS is not the prime decision driver.

Edited by ding

We need to have enough liquid cash to return to the US for my wife's Permanent Residence card and my kid to visit the birth mom. US Social Security is a concern for us - all the way 'round lately. I do need help working out the SS/Permanent Residence card timing still. Probably going to be an Ockam's choice deal -simplest solution when it seems to be a coin toss. The relocation is partly a response to unpredictability in the US and trying to mitigate that risk by capitalizing a bit early on the wealth difference. Until the US returns to rationality, SS is not the prime decision driver.

Just a thought but.......Since you say you will need to return to the USA & based on how strict the green card can be in regards to what is considered abandoning the status by being gone too long.....Along with the fact that I know you have jumped thru many hoops to get to the 10 years card....

Why not just go ahead & help your wife get a US passport before you leave the US?

If she is on her 10 year green card then that also means she is less than a year from qualifying ( 3 years after issue of 2yr card)

10 year card suggests she is on her 3rd year now.

Reasons would include the fact that you need to file papers if your leaving for more than 6 months & also with the US passport she is free to return unrestricted by any length of time away.

Lastly as a US citizen she will qualify for your SS benefits should you pass before her. Also if she worked in the US already she also has some SS contributions made already.

I know how you feel about the US status but your very close to making future choices much easier by getting your wife dual citizenship.

Just a thought

Chok Dee

Edited by flying

For future concerns, your wife will have to have been married to you for 5 years,living with you in the states, for her to be eligible for social security on your account.

Thanks for the posting information.

An American friend was married to a Thai wife for 3 1/2 years.

They lived together in TH and USA when he suddenly died at his age 62. They were in USA for the final 1 1/2 years.

She was age 56 at his death and in USA on green card/marriage

to America.

She has a Social Security card and they bought a home. He was on 100% disability Social security benefits and 100% VA disability.

His death was not from war connected wounds/condition.

His VA disability benefits went to his grave with him...

Zero disability survivor benefit for wife.

She retains her Champus health ID card and property tax

exemptions for life on their home in Oklahoma.

She is not yet age 60 so she does not qualify for early Social Security benefit on husband's account.

But as she was not in USA for the 5 years you have posted, the BIG question is :

Will she still receive his Social Security benefit as Survivor spouse at age 60? I think it is reduced 70% at her age 60.

She has her MBA from a Thai University which she earned while taking care of him here in Thailand. She speaks English/Thai.

I have search and searched the internet and Social Security websites for answer, but it is all so confusing.

Thank you for any info or insight you can provide.

Indeed, I sure hope she gets his Social Security benefit at her age 60, she deserves it for taking care of him for 3 1/2 years.

She is a "Saint" for doing so!

NO dependent child in family.

tj

Edited by travelerjim

I believe if you are married or not, it can be one or a combination or the two. Depending on where you apply in Thailand from what I hear and experience it could slightly different in each location. First in must be in the bank for at least 3 month before and after prior to you applying. So if you can't do it now and you are coming in July/August you do the math. In theory if you can place 800,000 baht or 400,000 then supposely don't need the income. I know a guy that gets his visa in Laos, only have 200,000 baht in the bank and gets a small pension veritied by a letter at the US Embassy in Bangkok.

My biggest concern is personally you can't live on 25,000 baht a month with a wife and child... you are dreaming. As for your child why? how old...you need to think about his future and what are your expectations for him or her in Thailand. I will take a guess your child is under 5 years old,, and if so you expect to speak to her in English one day forget it. A good school with a deOncent English program will cost you 50,000 baht plus and a school like International will run you 200,000/500,000 Baht. On that budget your kid will grow up a Soi Baby.

I've heard it before and seen it... your wife leads with her Thai thinking because she wants to come home hate it in U.S? Unless you clear nearly a million USD with your house you are dreaming. You are thinking you can have things like the US. car, house, insurance for medical, school and those unforeeable expenses of raising your family and eventually hers! Your utilites will be at least 8,000 baht a month unless you plan to leave in a Tin can roof dirt lot.

Good luck... I suggest you think it over... I wish I had and I did lots of thinking... had a plan... and still that wasn't enough!

If you apply for single entry non immigrant O visa in the US use your marriage certificate rather than saying you plan to retire. For retirement they are likely to want you to obtain non immigrant O-A from Embassy.

I know for a fact that it's much easier to obtain a Non-O visa at an American Thai consulate, just showing your marriage certificate. Usually you can obtain said visa in one day.

The only difference is that you'll have to leave Thailand every 90 days. It's pretty easy to go this way, you'll have to see the Thai Immigration before leaving for example to Cambodia.

A visa for Cambodia is 1,400 baht right now. Please make sure that your child's mother is okay with it, because it looks like she's still got a sort of custody.

I hope you'll find the best solution. Some Immigrations in Thailand are okay with a statement that you're having xxxxxxxxxxbaht income to issue a visa for you here, at the American embassy in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.( Only for Americans)

Your Thai wife has to make sure not to lose her green card and she should travel to Thailand using her Thai passport.

Wish you good luck.

Cheers-:jap:

I believe if you are married or not, it can be one or a combination or the two.

Information in thailand49 post (quoted first line) is incorrect. Marriage is either 400k/40k for two months before application. Retirement is either 800k/65k for two months before application first time or 3 months later and allows combination to meet 800k.

I believe if you are married or not, it can be one or a combination or the two. Depending on where you apply in Thailand from what I hear and experience it could slightly different in each location. First in must be in the bank for at least 3 month before and after prior to you applying. So if you can't do it now and you are coming in July/August you do the math. In theory if you can place 800,000 baht or 400,000 then supposely don't need the income. I know a guy that gets his visa in Laos, only have 200,000 baht in the bank and gets a small pension veritied by a letter at the US Embassy in Bangkok.

My biggest concern is personally you can't live on 25,000 baht a month with a wife and child... you are dreaming. As for your child why? how old...you need to think about his future and what are your expectations for him or her in Thailand. I will take a guess your child is under 5 years old,, and if so you expect to speak to her in English one day forget it. A good school with a deOncent English program will cost you 50,000 baht plus and a school like International will run you 200,000/500,000 Baht. On that budget your kid will grow up a Soi Baby.

I've heard it before and seen it... your wife leads with her Thai thinking because she wants to come home hate it in U.S? Unless you clear nearly a million USD with your house you are dreaming. You are thinking you can have things like the US. car, house, insurance for medical, school and those unforeeable expenses of raising your family and eventually hers! Your utilites will be at least 8,000 baht a month unless you plan to leave in a Tin can roof dirt lot.

Good luck... I suggest you think it over... I wish I had and I did lots of thinking... had a plan... and still that wasn't enough!

Not everyone needs an extravagant life, 25000 a month is doable, in fact I know someone that has a wife and 4 kids making 7000 a month, not the lifestyle I would chose but the point is it is possible. 8000 per month for utilities is outrageous, I never pay more than 2000 and in the cool season can pay less than 1000 and my house is quite nice and comfortable in a quiet safe neighborhood.

For future concerns, your wife will have to have been married to you for 5 years,living with you in the states, for her to be eligible for social security on your account.

Thanks for the posting information.

An American friend was married to a Thai wife for 3 1/2 years.

They lived together in TH and USA when he suddenly died at his age 62. They were in USA for the final 1 1/2 years.

She was age 56 at his death and in USA on green card/marriage

to America.

She has a Social Security card and they bought a home. He was on 100% disability Social security benefits and 100% VA disability.

His death was not from war connected wounds/condition.

His VA disability benefits went to his grave with him...

Zero disability survivor benefit for wife.

She retains her Champus health ID card and property tax

exemptions for life on their home in Oklahoma.

She is not yet age 60 so she does not qualify for early Social Security benefit on husband's account.

But as she was not in USA for the 5 years you have posted, the BIG question is :

Will she still receive his Social Security benefit as Survivor spouse at age 60? I think it is reduced 70% at her age 60.

She has her MBA from a Thai University which she earned while taking care of him here in Thailand. She speaks English/Thai.

I have search and searched the internet and Social Security websites for answer, but it is all so confusing.

Thank you for any info or insight you can provide.

Indeed, I sure hope she gets his Social Security benefit at her age 60, she deserves it for taking care of him for 3 1/2 years.

She is a "Saint" for doing so!

NO dependent child in family.

I hope that I'm wrong because she deserves something. But I'm pretty sure that the requirement in order for her to get his disability is they have to had been married, and living together in the US for 10 years. This is the rule for Social Security Disability. (SSD). She is now eligible, I believe, to receive a small Social Security survivor's benefit, which will be much less than the SSD benefit that they received before. SS and SSD have different rules. If she stays and works in the US, and pays into the SS and Medicare, then when she reaches retirement age, she can get benefits based on her late husband's lifetime contributions. I think that she only has to contribute SS and Medicare wages for 2 years before she can make a claim. Her retirement age is 66. She can retire at 62, with a rate 60% of the full benefit. Each additional year that she works, the benefit goes up 10%. She doesn't really have to even work after she's 62, just postpone the retirement claim for a while. It's a gamble. You break even on a early retirement by about 70. Whatever way she decides, she can get the SS delivered monthly for the rest of her life, right into her bank account, even in Thailand. The best thing for her future would be to work a few years between now and age 66, then get the full benefits. She can get Medicare at age 65.

What do you mean "Medical Certificate is not needed for either option?" It is needed if you apply for an OA visa in the US. It is not need here in Thailand for extensions...

What do you mean "Medical Certificate is not needed for either option?" It is needed if you apply for an OA visa in the US. It is not need here in Thailand for extensions...

Which is exactly what he said. He listed the two extension avenues. OA visa was not part of the reference post or the two options mentioned in reply.

Interesting information. I have a slight twist to the above information. My wife and I have been married for 8 years. We resided in the US for 5 years, and now live overseas. We still claim a permanent residence in Texas, and plan to retire to Thailand. The concern I have is for her eligibility for SS benefits. She has her US citizenship, and as such I understood the only length of marriage requirements were to be married 10 years if you are divorced. Otherwise I understood a US citizen is eligible for SS benefits based on the spouses SS benefits. We continue to file joint US tax returns annually.

As a further complication If I die at an early age she will be the sole provider for our 3 year old. I believe both are eligible for survivor benefits of roughly 50% of my calculated benefits.

The SS publications on this issue that I have been able to find are a bit confusing. If any one has a clear understanding on the requirements for a US citizent to draw SS benefits on the spouses benefits I would appreciate clarification, as this defintiely affects our financial planning for the next few years.

Samui Steve

Not everyone needs an extravagant life, 25000 a month is doable, in fact I know someone that has a wife and 4 kids making 7000 a month, not the lifestyle I would chose but the point is it is possible. 8000 per month for utilities is outrageous, I never pay more than 2000 and in the cool season can pay less than 1000 and my house is quite nice and comfortable in a quiet safe neighborhood.

This was a generalization! Are you talking Thai family or a family that has been living in the United States and now plan to move to Thailand and live how? Yes it is possible !just because you can not everyone who comes from another country it really honestly depends on the couple. I know many that have to have all the things that had in U.S., every room got to have AC, washing machine, dryer their bill range in the area! Does he have medical for his family, if he doesn't at his age it will cost him for a million baht policy somewhere 24,000 to 25,000 baht or is he going to use thai medical, What about transportation? Is he going to use a motorbike? do I need to tell you how much is a car and what gas is today! If you ask that person you know and observe their life style no way they can enjoy they must be 100% Thai? We will have to part ways and agree to disgree! And still a American kid why? I be honest they adults seem to be thinking about themselves and not the child. Nevertheless, I wish him the best and good luck

Edited by thailand49

Thanks LB, the 400K Baht will be an easier threshold should the house not sell here. We've had a joint Bangkok Bank account since September 2007

The bank account has to be in your name only.

Good to know!

thailand49, good advice I'm sure - but doesn't directly apply in my situation.

Social Security and Citizenship are concerns and not simple to weigh and predict with the political/financial situation in the US. Change is coming, the old assumptions may be gone.

I can file my wife's N400 with USCIS to get her citizenhip in July this year (3 years in USA). But I have a job prospect as a master electrician in Thailand and am waiting to see if I'm delaying the owner by waiting. I like to work, and the wife feels she wont get a job as she's over 40. So we're trying to time everything right.

My farangland ex-wife 'could' change her mind, that's a valid concern too. But my plan is to homeschool. My son is a teenager and is great at math, honors English, etc. so I think he'll be fine. He loves Thailand and has been there several times over the years. None of us need a western lifestyle at all.

This is very strange and ive´seen it before in threads like this where diffrent nationalities talk about this subject!

I asked for a Non Immigrant 0 Visa based on marrige this week at the Thai Embassy in Stochkholm Sweden and they dont ask for any documents about banking or monthly income , just the marrige certificate etc!

Same thing with the NoN Immigrant 0 Visa for 50 yo. and above , 200,000b in the bank or a montly income of 65,000b.

Is it an advantage to be Swedish for once? whistling.gif

For the non belivers CLICK HERE jap.gif

Actually it is an advantage to know what is being talked about. :D

The financial requirements you refer to are applicable to extensions of stay for one year from Immigration in Thailand. They are not the requirment for visas issued by a Consulate.

Actually it is an advantage to know what is being talked about. :D

The financial requirements you refer to are applicable to extensions of stay for one year from Immigration in Thailand. They are not the requirment for visas issued by a Consulate.

Okay my engrish might be bad but i dont see the diffrent really , Op stays in Us and ask the Thai Embassy or consulate for a Non Immigrant o Visa .. i do the same but from Sweden or am i wrong here .. never mind as long as i can take care my own visa problems! biggrin.gif