Money Seizures At Airport

dmax

Looks like Thai Customs has no problem with your cash as long as you declare it coming in.

The issue appears to be when all sweating and nervous, you get eyeballed by a nice UKBA chap as you are within sight of the departure lounge. Or worse still, the security pat-down at the gate reveals your bulging money belt, all within sight of the plane!.

You can read how to do it all legally here

If you look at the form, there's two lines each where you declare where the money came from and what it will be used for and one line for who the recipient is. Looks all rather benign to me.

I believe your worries are largely for not......these {random} procedures from the occasional immigration and customs officials are extremely rare. The odd story or incident tends to be exaggerated into a standard practice, insuring fear and angst. Mountain from an ant hill.

Quite correct its totally random although a lot relies on tip offs esp with drugs.. I must have broguht in 50k in cash in the last few years, still it set up the drugs deals quite well :lol:

And that last comment will get the thread closed.

I can tell you from the highest level that this forum (as well as all the rest) are seriously monitored daily.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

It's the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.

I deal with it all day long in both cash seizures and confiscations.

Basically, the regulations state that an appropriate person (Police officer/Customs etc.) have a right to seize cash if they beleive it is:-

1). in excess of £1000

2). Beleived to be from or to be used for crimunal conduct (in the past no crimunal conduct needed to be proved).

As it is civil and not criminal then the courts work on the lesser providence of 'on the balance of probabilities'

If the cash and it's derivation can be proven then there are no issues whatsoever BUT if you are stopped and have cash on you and you cannot prove where it is from then it may be the case that you will need to attend a Magistrates Court to firstly claim your cash back at an initial detention hearing or if the case progresses then the body that seized the cash may want to apply for forfeiture and again you will have the chance to prove it's legitimate. If you can't then you may lose it. If it's legitimate then non crminal people can usually prove, with evidence, where they got it from.

If you start to tell lies then you will dig a great big whole for yourself, be honest if it is legitimate. if it's not then what do you want?

A new peice of case law is R v ANGUS, in that the seizure body now have to pin the cash to some sort of criminality and if there is none then you will probably not have a problem. If you have a criminal record for fraud, drug dealing etc. an investigation will commence and if the cash is not legitimate then a can of worms may be opened and you may find yourself in trouble and on the radar for criminality.

I would say, beware if you are into criminality and you have cash seized. Sometimes it may be better to walk away. If it's 100% legit then make claim and kick up as much of a fuss as is needed. No one is going to forfeit legitimate cash.

If anyone needs advice please PM me.

regards

No matter what regs/rules are posted if you try to leave the UK with £999 or less in cash no problems - period.

£1000 plus and you have to prove where its come from if stopped.If you cannot than its seized pending you proving where it did came from.Discretion applied by Customs but dont expect to walk away with £2000 for example with no decent explanation.

Personal Experience !!

This applies to not just airports-walk around with a £1000 in your back pocket in a car for example (going to car auction) then same scenario.

Don't believe me ?? I had £1013 taken from me in cash RETURNING to the UK and actually in my home town. Never returned as had no proof.

Walk into any Customs and Excise office or Police Station and ask !!

If you are paid in cash an dhaveno accounst etc. then the question is are you paying tax? if you cannot prove this then it will be argued you have a pecuniary gain which is tantamount to money laundering S.328 and HMRC will be very interested in you. \Be careful.

No matter what regs/rules are posted if you try to leave the UK with £999 or less in cash no problems - period.

£1000 plus and you have to prove where its come from if stopped.If you cannot than its seized pending you proving where it did came from.Discretion applied by Customs but dont expect to walk away with £2000 for example with no decent explanation.

Personal Experience !!

This applies to not just airports-walk around with a £1000 in your back pocket in a car for example (going to car auction) then same scenario.

Don't believe me ?? I had £1013 taken from me in cash RETURNING to the UK and actually in my home town. Never returned as had no proof.

fk that !!! last time i went on holiday i brought 4k with me ......do i have to show police/customs my bank statement of when and where i withdrew the cash ? would this be sufficient ? say i was a taxi driver and had no pay slips etc ...do we need to bring our pay slips and statements with us now in order to not have our legally held cah taken from us . talk about a police state bah.gif

any advice people ?

Quite correct, if you can prove you withdrew it a day or so before then no problems whatsoever, if you try to say you withdrew it 3 monthe ago then I am sure you will agree it doesn't sound right. Normal people will always be able to prove where the cash is from.

Personal Experience !!

fk that !!! last time i went on holiday i brought 4k with me ......do i have to show police/customs my bank statement of when and where i withdrew the cash ? would this be sufficient ? say i was a taxi driver and had no pay slips etc ...do we need to bring our pay slips and statements with us now in order to not have our legally held cah taken from us . talk about a police state bah.gif

any advice people ?

Whenever I have serious cash on me (£1000+) I carry in my wallet withdrawels slips from my bank which exceed what I carry.

Better safe than sorry.

I warned my ex-wife (thai) flying back to Thailand not to carry too much cash but did she listen ? Do Thais ever listen !!

Fortunately she said there were no sniffer dogs around check in, but rigorous searches at final gate for Brits and Thais alike.One guy was apparently shouting the house down.

Gold is not classed as currency under POCA 2002 cash regs

Notes and coins of any nation

Travellers cheques etc.

Looks like Thai Customs has no problem with your cash as long as you declare it coming in.

The issue appears to be when all sweating and nervous, you get eyeballed by a nice UKBA chap as you are within sight of the departure lounge. Or worse still, the security pat-down at the gate reveals your bulging money belt, all within sight of the plane!.

If you look at the form, there's two lines each where you declare where the money came from and what it will be used for and one line for who the recipient is. Looks all rather benign to me.

all well and good, though what happens when i get a pat down and the nice custom officer asks me what im doin g with 5k gbp on me when im only going to thailand fore 3 weeks ? i do spend money and like to enjoy myself, just because some custom officer says that is too much money to spend and bring in cash for a holiday it doesnt mean to say its illegal.

question again. do i need to bring bank statements and withdrawl slips everytime i fly with 5-7k cash on me ? my wife carried her gold with her too the last time 24baht worth ( over £10,000 worth ) what would happen to that ? we all know what thai,s are like with gold !!

i explianed to my wife to send money through swift transfer as i allready have in past but she told me " no, up to me to take money, money me, when send to bank you lose too much " cant say i disagree with her either but ..........rolleyes.gif

I having had first hand experience have suggested what to do ??

Ignore it, but don't come on here whining afterwards !!

No idea re Gold but suggest questions woud be asked ?? Ignorance being no defence.

I believe your worries are largely for not......these {random} procedures from the occasional immigration and customs officials are extremely rare. The odd story or incident tends to be exaggerated into a standard practice, insuring fear and angst. Mountain from an ant hill.

Quite correct its totally random although a lot relies on tip offs esp with drugs.. I must have broguht in 50k in cash in the last few years, still it set up the drugs deals quite well :lol:

And that last comment will get the thread closed.

I can tell you from the highest level that this forum (as well as all the rest) are seriously monitored daily.

I think you have been watching too many Movies Chivas get real, shhhhhhhhhhh behind you, they're everywhere run run whilst you can :lol:

There are companies in the UK (can find tem on the internet) that will reproduce wage slips based on your written testomony - this is completely legal (though use of them for fraudulant purposes is not). My cousin was self employed and used them to get wage slips so he could get a mortgage - no checks, just told them his earningsand they prinbted off wage slips. Could be used for those who want to bring cash, but their self employed nature means that it is hard toi proove income (origin) without lugging about company books and dividend checques!

I think you have been watching too many Movies Chivas get real, shhhhhhhhhhh behind you, they're everywhere run run whilst you can :lol:

Maybe he's one. Best watch yourself....;):rolleyes:

:)

Sh...t Sussed again.... B)

what in the world arey'all talking about?

Who ( in what country) is asking about money and taking your money away ?

Is this an April Fools thread?

Hardly an April Fools joke-disregard the last 10-15 posts though !!

<_<

See

From Thailand Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details

Currency rules

Currency Import regulations:

Local currency: up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport.

Foreign currencies: unlimited. However, amounts of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000.- (or equivalent) must be declared to a Customs Officer upon arrival by all travellers.

Currency Export regulations:

Local currency: up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport.

Foreign currencies: unlimited. However, amounts of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000.- (or equivalent) must be declared to a Customs Officer upon departure by all travellers.

As an example of other countries, see also Declaring cash when entering or leaving the UK.

As with anything to do with Customs, not declaring it and getting caught may result in confiscation.

tut tut, more b/s , i ask a simple question and i get a barrage of abuse from you , if you have nothing constructive to add then shut your trap.

I gave you advice. I also reconfirmed the advice of another poster. You chose to miss that and lamp on to my observation that you have comprehension difficulties... maybe a simple cabby after all.

who said im stuffing it anywhere gypsy ? dont jump to conclusions . im saying that if i or my wife had it on our person ,say 7-8k each (not concealed ) would it be confiscated if we didnt have bank statements with us ? genuine and simple enough question isnt it ? you understand that gypsy ? if not then please "give me a break " and dont come of with a nonsensical and idiotic negative reply.

Goodness... not even near the airport and sweating already. Now, at a rough guess, this is the SECOND time you have been told that each of you having less than 10,000 euros (or the equivalent thereof) on your person IS OK. It's also probably the FOURTH time you have been told that having some supporting paperwork from the bank IS RECOMMENDED.

OK, the 'concealment' gag went way over your head, sorry. What part of NOT completing the form and NOT declaring the excess funds on you and your wife's person is NOT concealment.

Answers on a postcard to...

Yes, many customs officers commit government-sanctioned theft nowadays.

It is common at any european border - if you carry more than a certain amount with you without being able to prove where the money comes from, they will seize the excess amount (I think the limit is 7500 EUR).

They don't have to prove the money comes from illegal operations. No, instead they reverse the burden of proof, and you have to prove where the money comes from.

Personally, if they confiscated money from me, I'd file charges for theft against them.

Our countries are more and more degenerating into a police state.

In theory, you could be asked to show a proof of purchase for your 30k USD golden Rolex watch, or they would seize it.

It is theft, pure and simple.

SECONDED !! wink.gif

Oh bugger.... a cabbies convention!

I have regulalry travelled to Thailand form the Uk with 10k Euros and been stopped once in about 10 trips, they never asked to see the money just asked me what it was for i said buy a car showed him papers to prove this and that was it.

Case in question on UK border force shown on TV in UK only last week (may be a repeat from before)

Exactly the same scenario where a Brit was claiming he was going to the Caribbean to buy a Honda with 10k in his pocket (am sure some saw it)

He caught his flight but not with the 10k !! Confiscated pending proof of origin.

He had no documentaion try and report it correctly and a few other things were not quite right either. 99% of the time their work is guess work and random stops.

I wasnt asked for proof of where it came from.

Wasnt he also going to Jamaica a known drugs area, they thought he wasnt buying a car but buying drugs and yes he was blick as South Africans would say.

huh ? huh.gif

It is common at any european border - if you carry more than a certain amount with you without being able to prove where the money comes from, they will seize the excess amount (I think the limit is 7500 EUR).

They don't have to prove the money comes from illegal operations. No, instead they reverse the burden of proof, and you have to prove where the money comes from.

Personally, if they confiscated money from me, I'd file charges for theft against them.

In theory, you could be asked to show a proof of purchase for your 30k USD golden Rolex watch, or they would seize it.

So is NOT declaring taxable income and avoiding paying taxes on same.

As someone has stated already, if the money is yours and you are in full compliance with the revenue laws, you should have no problems providing proof that the dosh is yours.

Personal Experience !!

but then i was stopped just before boaring a thai air flight, from the UK, with about 5000 pounds on me. the customs man had a sniffer dog - ones that can smell bank notes - the dog found the money, but the customs man just looked at it, and let me carry on. i did say i had a large amount on me before the dog started.

Personal Experience !!

but then i was stopped just before boaring a thai air flight, from the UK, with about 5000 pounds on me. the customs man had a sniffer dog - ones that can smell bank notes - the dog found the money, but the customs man just looked at it, and let me carry on. i did say i had a large amount on me before the dog started.

It must be the fact its a sunday ! That's what the Dogs there for, to find money.

You've quoted my own post whereby the Customs Officer has discretion !!

Maybe you came across as being totally kosher ?? Likewise Customs can't stop everyone.

The thread is a very real warning to avoid taking wads of cash when other methods are available.

I for one will never walk around anywhere with 1k plus on my person. Once bitten twice shy........

quote "bear in mind her family in isaan dont even know how to get a western union transfer"

:cheesy:

They would not have to look hard to find someone who did know trust me!

Apologies wife just bol***ked me apparently it is feasable that may not know. I stand corrected!

Edited by maprao

But the thread does read like your a mini-cab driver that cannot put money in a bank cos it's undeclared taxable income and you come to LOS to spend it every few months. Yes/No

It's so easy to take your UK debit card to a bank in LOS and transfer money and get it in your hand in cash. :).

yes i know that transam , im just asking if a problem did arise with us both stopped with 7k or thereabouts on us would it be confiscated? my wife has allways took cash, as ive said before she wont send it by TT she thinks she will lose too much money, also extortionate charges by both visa /thai banks plus atm charges of 150 baht, i get more for my uk notes at a chinese exchange.

If either of you get stopped and either of you is unable to prove it is yours, it will probably be confiscated. It's not being 'stolen' by anyone at this juncture and you do have the opportunity to do what you should have done from the get-go and get some paperwork from your bank or financial institution OR WHATEVER proving it is yours.

Has either you or your wife actually investigated what these bank TT charges actually are? My point is that if you are taking large amounts of cash from the UK to Thailand on a regular basis, then for peace of mind, doing it bank-to-bank is probably easier than running the gauntlet of UKBA wannabe robbers.

Where on earth do these extortionate 150 baht Thai ATM fees come into your argument? If you have already brought the money either in person or via TT and deposited it in your Thai bank account, you are NOT charged 150 baht per transaction to get it out from the local hole in the wall. The 150 baht only applies if you are using your non-Thai plastic to access your non-Thai domiciled cash via a domestic Thai ATM. I think transam was suggesting you may take your UK debit card to your Thai bank and transfer a wedge in on a one-time transfer. Then use your local bank's plastic to suck it out locally.

Now, here's the voice of experience. During 2007-8, I regularly hand-carried in 10,000 pounds in cash from Aberdeen to Udon. I was building a house and like yourself, was bypassing the time and charges of a regular international bank transfer and leveraging the better forex rates available at money changers. I never filled in any forms, never declared it on departure or arrival and each time it was in a money belt that I wore under my shirt, next to my skin. However, the money was withdrawn from my UK bank account so if I was asked or it was confiscated, I could get paperwork to show where it came from.

As they say in Thailand, 'up to you'.

Edited by NanLaew

So is NOT declaring taxable income and avoiding paying taxes on same.

As someone has stated already, if the money is yours and you are in full compliance with the revenue laws, you should have no problems providing proof that the dosh is yours.

I don't see it that way.

First, money you carry is not income, it is your property.

Maybe you just found 10000 EUR in your late grandmother's mattress (and no there aren't any taxes to pay on that small amount), and there are many many other legal sources for the money that don't produce a paper trail.

A written contract is not required if you sell your car (and no, this is not income!).

Or how about "I saved these 10000 EUR in cash over the last few years by putting cash into a box, to spend on whores during my six months holiday in Thailand"!

It is the police state's wet dream to make it compulsory for any transaction of 100 EUR and above to be settled over a bank account!

Trading in cash is not a crime and stop making it look so.

Second, people cannot be asked to prove that everything they carry on their person is their rightful property and that the money has been declared to the tax office.

It is the police's job to prove any wrongdoings before seizing property, not the citizen's duty to always show to any small power-hungry civil servant where their money and valuables come from.

And 7500 EUR or even worse, 1000 USD as mentioned above in the thread are ridiculously low amounts.

50.000 USD or above, I could understand, but 1000 USD?

"prove the dosh is yours" ... "or we take it away from you"

interesting concept... because if I cannot prove it is mine, it belongs to the government, right?

that's just plain wrong and not the way a country that upholds the rights of its citizens should work.

Edited by manarak

Man I thought the USA was bad.....Sounds like the UK is even more interested in funds leaving than the USA

Since about 2008 here in the US when leaving to final board any international flights there is a goon or two asking you do you have more than 10k USD on your person.

My wife once made the mistake of asking does that mean just me or my husband & I jointly.

Well that set the goon off & he said ...Ok now your making me think your hiding something.

Luckily I was right behind her wincing & said listen officer it was a innocent question as we both have 9k USD is there a problem?

He said no just fill out this form with the total & what it is to be used for.

I filled it out & wrote in vacation funds & off we went.

But it never use to be like this...Where some goon is double checking everyone for cash leaving the country.

Sad to say it will only get worse as governments look under every rock for possible tax monies leaving before they get their cut :rolleyes:

That is one thing I like about Thailand.....Many times I have been in the banks & seen folks bring in a case or pack with literally a couple of million baht. The tellers never blink an eye but through it in the counter & make the entry. Of course this is not the same as leaving Thailand with that baht but try depositing more than even 10k cash in a US bank & see the looks & the forms come out.

Edited by flying