Money Seizures At Airport

dmax

just looking on youtube.com ( immigrant money seizure ) this guy was working as a taxi driver, fully legal i suspect. customs took 15k off him, this worries me as i usually carry cash to thaiald with me, my visa debit charges me too much to withdraw from atm,s plus the atm charges etc , so i would rather carry cash and change it when i get to bkk or where ever im going , i usually get a better rate for my ntes off chinese money exchanges in bkk or pattaya. last time i stayed in los for 9 weeks and i carried 8k gbp through.

so question i want to ask is, next time im coming through with cash will i need to bring bank statements or not? i usually bring spending money of 1000 gbp to do me for each week im staying, also my wife brings cash through to give to her family in isaan, she brings new £50 notes in prestine condition ( we all know what thai banks are like rolleyes.gif ) she saves around £5000 per year or more in uk but sometimes brings more than that, bear in mind her family in isaan dont even know how to get a western union transfer etc so this is the way she prefers to do things.

how does one avoid having their money taken ? anyone ever had it taken at customs ?

share your expiriences and advice .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I've never really been bothered too much at customs. But I use the internet for all my banking everywhere. I can transfer from my US accounts to my Bangkok Bank account. From there I can transfer to my wife, her father, her sister, my car insurance or anyone else. Small fees are applied, but there is a "paper" trail and you can prove your payment and keep track of your money. Carrying cash just seems a bit foolish when there is a much safer and not too costly of an option. Much less than a wire transfer or an ATM.

Edited by Jimi007

From Thailand Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details

Currency rules

Currency Import regulations:

Local currency: up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport.

Foreign currencies: unlimited. However, amounts of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000.- (or equivalent) must be declared to a Customs Officer upon arrival by all travellers.

Currency Export regulations:

Local currency: up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport.

Foreign currencies: unlimited. However, amounts of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000.- (or equivalent) must be declared to a Customs Officer upon departure by all travellers.

I'd be much more wary of declaring large amounts of money to Thai customs that I would be in the UK. They are notoriously corrupt in all the experiences I have had with them.

At least in the UK if you can prove the money is yours it will be returned to you. I would very much doubt you would ever see it again in Thailand whatever happened.

Not declaring it and then being stopped and having it found on you is a much more sure way of having it confiscated than doing it legally.

I think the purpose of this is to ensure that foreigners don't leave with more cash than they entered with, unless they have a legitimate reason for having so much extra money; e.g. not been working illegally.

You have to open a Thai bank account in your or your wife's name and then you have a relatively easy and inexpensive way to transfer large sums to Thailand, safely and legally.

Transfer fee is 20- 25 pounds for an unlimited amount and the funds will usually arrive within 3 days. Mine usually arrives the next day and I have been transferring funds to Thailand from the UK by this method for many years with no problems.

No matter what regs/rules are posted if you try to leave the UK with £999 or less in cash no problems - period.

£1000 plus and you have to prove where its come from if stopped.If you cannot than its seized pending you proving where it did came from.Discretion applied by Customs but dont expect to walk away with £2000 for example with no decent explanation.

Personal Experience !!

This applies to not just airports-walk around with a £1000 in your back pocket in a car for example (going to car auction) then same scenario.

Don't believe me ?? I had £1013 taken from me in cash RETURNING to the UK and actually in my home town. Never returned as had no proof.

Walk into any Customs and Excise office or Police Station and ask !!

Edited by Chivas

No matter what regs/rules are posted if you try to leave the UK with £999 or less in cash no problems - period.

£1000 plus and you have to prove where its come from if stopped.If you cannot than its seized pending you proving where it did came from.Discretion applied by Customs but dont expect to walk away with £2000 for example with no decent explanation.

Personal Experience !!

This applies to not just airports-walk around with a £1000 in your back pocket in a car for example (going to car auction) then same scenario.

Don't believe me ?? I had £1013 taken from me in cash RETURNING to the UK and actually in my home town. Never returned as had no proof.

fk that !!! last time i went on holiday i brought 4k with me ......do i have to show police/customs my bank statement of when and where i withdrew the cash ? would this be sufficient ? say i was a taxi driver and had no pay slips etc ...do we need to bring our pay slips and statements with us now in order to not have our legally held cah taken from us . talk about a police state bah.gif

any advice people ?

Edited by dmax

Personal Experience !!

fk that !!! last time i went on holiday i brought 4k with me ......do i have to show police/customs my bank statement of when and where i withdrew the cash ? would this be sufficient ? say i was a taxi driver and had no pay slips etc ...do we need to bring our pay slips and statements with us now in order to not have our legally held cah taken from us . talk about a police state bah.gif

any advice people ?

Whenever I have serious cash on me (£1000+) I carry in my wallet withdrawels slips from my bank which exceed what I carry.

Better safe than sorry.

I warned my ex-wife (thai) flying back to Thailand not to carry too much cash but did she listen ? Do Thais ever listen !!

Fortunately she said there were no sniffer dogs around check in, but rigorous searches at final gate for Brits and Thais alike.One guy was apparently shouting the house down.

Edited by Chivas

Looks like Thai Customs has no problem with your cash as long as you declare it coming in.

The issue appears to be when all sweating and nervous, you get eyeballed by a nice UKBA chap as you are within sight of the departure lounge. Or worse still, the security pat-down at the gate reveals your bulging money belt, all within sight of the plane!.

You can read how to do it all legally here

If you look at the form, there's two lines each where you declare where the money came from and what it will be used for and one line for who the recipient is. Looks all rather benign to me.

Edited by NanLaew

Looks like Thai Customs has no problem with your cash as long as you declare it coming in.

The issue appears to be when all sweating and nervous, you get eyeballed by a nice UKBA chap as you are within sight of the departure lounge. Or worse still, the security pat-down at the gate reveals your bulging money belt, all within sight of the plane!.

If you look at the form, there's two lines each where you declare where the money came from and what it will be used for and one line for who the recipient is. Looks all rather benign to me.

all well and good, though what happens when i get a pat down and the nice custom officer asks me what im doin g with 5k gbp on me when im only going to thailand fore 3 weeks ? i do spend money and like to enjoy myself, just because some custom officer says that is too much money to spend and bring in cash for a holiday it doesnt mean to say its illegal.

question again. do i need to bring bank statements and withdrawl slips everytime i fly with 5-7k cash on me ? my wife carried her gold with her too the last time 24baht worth ( over £10,000 worth ) what would happen to that ? we all know what thai,s are like with gold !!

i explianed to my wife to send money through swift transfer as i allready have in past but she told me " no, up to me to take money, money me, when send to bank you lose too much " cant say i disagree with her either but ..........rolleyes.gif

Edited by dmax

all well and good, though what happens when i get a pat down and the nice custom officer asks me what im doin g with 5k gbp on me when im only going to thailand fore 3 weeks ? i do spend money and like to enjoy myself, just because some custom officer says that is too much money to spend and bring in cash for a holiday it doesnt mean to say its illegal.

question again. do i need to bring bank statements and withdrawl slips everytime i fly with 5-7k cash on me ? my wife carried her gold with her too the last time 24baht worth ( over £10,000 worth ) what would happen to that ? we all know what thai,s are like with gold !!

i explianed to my wife to send money through swift transfer as i allready have in past but she told me " no, up to me to take money, money me, when send to bank you lose too much " cant say i disagree with her either but ..........rolleyes.gif

I having had first hand experience have suggested what to do ??

Ignore it, but don't come on here whining afterwards !!

No idea re Gold but suggest questions woud be asked ?? Ignorance being no defence.

it states on the form that you n eed to declare anything over 1000 euro,s . does that mean my wife can take say for instance 5000 and i can take 4,999 and not have it confiscated ?

Not 1000 euros 10,000 euros

I had the sniffer dogs going crazy around my rucksack just before getting on plane at theifrow airport customs officcer asked if I had cash in my bag I replied yes 2 grand no problems straight on plane

it states on the form that you n eed to declare anything over 1000 euro,s . does that mean my wife can take say for instance 5000 and i can take 4,999 and not have it confiscated ?

10,000 euros or the equivalent thereof.

There's no problems with splitting cash between you. However, if one or either gets randomly stopped... well you know there will be two people sweating now. Chivas has already stated he gets minimal support paperwork from the bank 'just in case' and still you ask? If the declaration form gives you 2 lines to explain the origin and it's use, why on earth start talking up that you work hard for your (undeclared?) income and are a highroller? Why attract attention?

You have been around the block long enough now to have bank accounts in UK and Thailand. This concern with a paltry 35 pound bank fees on several THOUSANDS of pound bank transfers and suggesting that's it worth the risk to stuff it all in your underwear at the airport.... give us a break sir.

Does the'd' in your moniker stand for drama by any chance? You seem to seek it frequently.

There's no problems with splitting cash between you. However, if one or either gets randomly stopped... well you know there will be two people sweating now. Chivas has already stated he gets minimal support paperwork from the bank 'just in case' and still you ask? If the declaration form gives you 2 lines to explain the origin and it's use, why on earth start talking up that you work hard for your (undeclared?) income and are a highroller? Why attract attention?

You have been around the block long enough now to have bank accounts in UK and Thailand. This concern with a paltry 35 pound bank fees on several THOUSANDS of pound bank transfers and suggesting that's it worth the risk to stuff it all in your underwear at the airport.... give us a break sir.

Does the'd' in your moniker stand for drama by any chance? You seem to seek it frequently.

tut tut, more b/s , i ask a simple question and i get a barrage of abuse from you , if you have nothing constructive to add then shut your trap.

who said im stuffing it anywhere gypsy ? dont jump to conclusions . im saying that if i or my wife had it on our person ,say 7-8k each (not concealed ) would it be confiscated if we didnt have bank statements with us ? genuine and simple enough question isnt it ? you understand that gypsy ? if not then please "give me a break " and dont come of with a nonsensical and idiotic negative reply.

Edited by dmax

tut tut, more b/s , i ask a simple question and i get a barrage of abuse from you , if you have nothing constructive to add then shut your trap.

But the thread does read like your a mini-cab driver that cannot put money in a bank cos it's undeclared taxable income and you come to LOS to spend it every few months. Yes/No

It's so easy to take your UK debit card to a bank in LOS and transfer money and get it in your hand in cash. :).

Yes, many customs officers commit government-sanctioned theft nowadays.

It is common at any european border - if you carry more than a certain amount with you without being able to prove where the money comes from, they will seize the excess amount (I think the limit is 7500 EUR).

They don't have to prove the money comes from illegal operations. No, instead they reverse the burden of proof, and you have to prove where the money comes from.

Personally, if they confiscated money from me, I'd file charges for theft against them.

Our countries are more and more degenerating into a police state.

In theory, you could be asked to show a proof of purchase for your 30k USD golden Rolex watch, or they would seize it.

It is theft, pure and simple.

But the thread does read like your a mini-cab driver that cannot put money in a bank cos it's undeclared taxable income and you come to LOS to spend it every few months. Yes/No

It's so easy to take your UK debit card to a bank in LOS and transfer money and get it in your hand in cash. :).

yes i know that transam , im just asking if a problem did arise with us both stopped with 7k or thereabouts on us would it be confiscated? my wife has allways took cash, as ive said before she wont send it by TT she thinks she will lose too much money, also extortionate charges by both visa /thai banks plus atm charges of 150 baht, i get more for my uk notes at a chinese exchange.

Yes, many customs officers commit government-sanctioned theft nowadays.

It is common at any european border - if you carry more than a certain amount with you without being able to prove where the money comes from, they will seize the excess amount (I think the limit is 7500 EUR).

They don't have to prove the money comes from illegal operations. No, instead they reverse the burden of proof, and you have to prove where the money comes from.

Personally, if they confiscated money from me, I'd file charges for theft against them.

Our countries are more and more degenerating into a police state.

In theory, you could be asked to show a proof of purchase for your 30k USD golden Rolex watch, or they would seize it.

It is theft, pure and simple.

SECONDED !! wink.gif

who said im stuffing it anywhere gypsy ? dont jump to conclusions . im saying that if i or my wife had it on our person ,say 7-8k each (not concealed ) would it be confiscated if we didnt have bank statements with us ? genuine and simple enough question isnt it ? you understand that gypsy ? if not then please "give me a break " and dont come of with a nonsensical and idiotic negative reply.

Just use the Thaivisa sponsor Ukforex for sending wads.

Over 3k and its free and a higher rate to boot then on the ground in Thailand.Under 3k its only £7 and first two transfers are free.

No Brainer ?? :whistling:

I have regulalry travelled to Thailand form the Uk with 10k Euros and been stopped once in about 10 trips, they never asked to see the money just asked me what it was for i said buy a car showed him papers to prove this and that was it.

I have regulalry travelled to Thailand form the Uk with 10k Euros and been stopped once in about 10 trips, they never asked to see the money just asked me what it was for i said buy a car showed him papers to prove this and that was it.

Case in question on UK border force shown on TV in UK only last week (may be a repeat from before)

Exactly the same scenario where a Brit was claiming he was going to the Caribbean to buy a Honda with 10k in his pocket (am sure some saw it)

He caught his flight but not with the 10k !! Confiscated pending proof of origin.

Case in question on UK border force shown on TV in UK only last week (may be a repeat from before)

Exactly the same scenario where a Brit was claiming he was going to the Caribbean to buy a Honda with 10k in his pocket (am sure some saw it)

He caught his flight but not with the 10k !! Confiscated pending proof of origin.

He had no documentaion try and report it correctly and a few other things were not quite right either. 99% of the time their work is guess work and random stops.

I wasnt asked for proof of where it came from.

Wasnt he also going to Jamaica a known drugs area, they thought he wasnt buying a car but buying drugs and yes he was blick as South Africans would say.

Edited by travelmann

He had no documentaion try and report it correctly and a few other things were not quite right either. 99% of the time their work is guess work and random stops.

I wasnt asked for proof of where it came from.

Exactly he had no back up documentation which was what I suggested way back on the thread...... B)

I've heard similar cases, where the jobsworth has confiscated, or made a fuss over figures FAR less than the "advertised" amount of cash allowed to be taken out of the country (UK).....just because he/she can !!!!!!

Figures as low as £2000 have been mentioned.

Penkoprod

I believe your worries are largely for not......these {random} procedures from the occasional immigration and customs officials are extremely rare. The odd story or incident tends to be exaggerated into a standard practice, insuring fear and angst. Mountain from an ant hill.

I believe your worries are largely for not......these {random} procedures from the occasional immigration and customs officials are extremely rare. The odd story or incident tends to be exaggerated into a standard practice, insuring fear and angst. Mountain from an ant hill.

There speaks someone who hasn't faced the full force of the law-when you're in Crown Court facing confiscation orders amonst other things, you may well think that the Anthill is indeed a Mountain <_<

Quite correct its totally random although a lot relies on tip offs esp with drugs.. I must have broguht in 50k in cash in the last few years, still it set up the drugs deals quite well :lol: