Hull Changes In All Non-Immigrant Visas April 2011

Just a quick update. Having sent my passport, ID card copy, letter, copy of blue book and a copy of GF UK visa (no need for last two but no harm in trying) I have just had a phone call from the consulate.

The answer was a straight "no", stating "only" a marriage certificate will do. This is the information that the consulate has given me from my enquiries and this is in fact what they are practising.

The only reason I tried for this visa was through hearsay on this forum, I hope that this has cleared it up for those that think it maybe possible without a marriage certificate.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a quick update. Having sent my passport, ID card copy, letter, copy of blue book and a copy of GF UK visa (no need for last two but no harm in trying) I have just had a phone call from the consulate.

The answer was a straight "no", stating "only" a marriage certificate will do. This is the information that the consulate has given me from my enquiries and this is in fact what they are practising.

The only reason I tried for this visa was through hearsay on this forum, I hope that this has cleared it up for those that think it maybe possible without a marriage certificate.

Interesting although not unexpected. So what's the best option now apart from getting married ? What kind of visa will you get now ?

What is the alternative to the old 1 year O visa, tourist visa's ? I guess these can be obtained from within Asia so maybe there's no need to go all the way back to Europe.

Have you applied this type of visa from Hull before in previous years?

I have got a tourist visa and non-O visas previously from Hull and only tried for a non-O again as I thought it was worth a try.

Hull were very helpful as ever and are proceeding with a triple entry tourist visa, once in Thailand I will be visiting neighbouring countries for further TR visas.

Hope this clears things up for those that are not married and don't meet age requirements etc.

So if I have a wedding certificate in Thai only, I need to have it translated into English?

That sounds a wee bit weird for a Consulate representing Thailand, even if the consul is not Thai.

Does anyone know for sure?

So if I have a wedding certificate in Thai only, I need to have it translated into English?

That sounds a wee bit weird for a Consulate representing Thailand, even if the consul is not Thai.

Yes, it clearly states in the list of evidence that they need a Thai marriage certificate "in English".

Unfortunately having every member of a consulate's visa processing staff able to speak and read Thai, is in my opinion a little unrealistic.

I have got a tourist visa and non-O visas previously from Hull and only tried for a non-O again as I thought it was worth a try.

Hull were very helpful as ever and are proceeding with a triple entry tourist visa, once in Thailand I will be visiting neighbouring countries for further TR visas.

Hope this clears things up for those that are not married and don't meet age requirements etc.

This looks like my only option should I lose my work permit and i'm certainly not prepared to get married just to obtain a Non O! I've got a lot of years to do before I meet the retirement option. As I've said before this is a bit of a pain when you have spent so many years here and you are fairly settled. Getting the Non O was ideal to pop back to the UK once per year and see your family and that was you sorted agin for another 12-15 months.

I see your point, and apologize in case my post offended you in some way. Thank you for the clarification.

Looks like I will need to have my Thai marriage papers translated.

Sorry Weary I have just read my post to you and it makes me sound like a right moody £&@". No offence taken and no offence meant.

Hey Guys just wanted to let you know if there is anyone else out there in same boat, im a british guy living in Pattaya with British wife and kid, just sent them back to UK to get New Multiple O Visas from Hull and both of them got processed and came back within 48 hours, the way we managed to this was because my UK Wife's Dad is married to a Thai Lady so all we sent with Normal Application is her Dads

Marriage Certificate to Thai

Copy of Thai Wife Id Card

Copy of Said Dad's Passport

and letter stating he is her Dad

Copy of House Book

You only really need the top 3 things but the more you send easier it is

Hopefully this helps others who are over here and have expat family married within the Thai Circle of things, we thought are days were numbered out here and to our relief despite what some said in the forums when i asked for advice we were successful in our applications.

To have a better understanding of what you wrote it would be useful to know whether the Thai national to whom your UK wife's father is married is the mother of your wife (in which case your UK wife would also be a Thai national)

post-21260-0-34396500-1309125805_thumb.g

To have a better understanding of what you wrote it would be useful to know whether the Thai national to whom your UK wife's father is married is the mother of your wife (in which case your UK wife would also be a Thai national)

post-21260-0-34396500-1309125805_thumb.g

Nice Graphic in reply mate

No My Wife is not the daughter of her Fathers Thai Wife, she is British and only connected through the Marriage of my wifes Dad and his Thai Wife.

Hope that helps ;)

I suspected as much. So you got the multiple-entry non-O visa to visit family in the sense of visiting relatives of your wife's stepmother. Cool!

It shows that Hull is quite reasonable, after being restricted to the "visit family" rule.

I am one of those affected by the change in Hull's requirements. I am British, mid-40s, not married, not working or studying, living in Bangkok. So it looks like I have to switch from non-imm to tourist visas. I emailed Hull about 2 weeks ago and no reply yet.

Would the following plan work, to get me through to next summer?:

16/08/2011 - Hull grant triple-entry tourist visa

30/08/2011 - Enter Thailand. 60-day stamp

28/10/2011 - 60 days finished. Visa run. New 60-day stamp

26/12/2011 - 60 days finished. Visa run. New 60-day stamp

16/02/2012 - 6-month validity ends. Visa run. New 60-day stamp

15/04/2012 - 60 days finished. Extend stay at Bkk immigration for 30 days for 1900 Baht

15/05/2012 - 30 days finished. Get new single-entry tourist visa in Penang

17/05/2012 - Enter Thailand. 60-day stamp

15/07/2012 - 60 days finished. Go back to UK

I am not sure about: i) If the 30-day extension at Bkk immigration is straightforward, ii) If Penang would issue a tourist visa when they see 3 back-to-back entries and an extension within the last year in my passport.

Can anyone advise?

Uh? How do you get 4 "60 days stamps" with a triple-entry tourist?

I think something wrong here; maybe you need to extend each entry for 30 days.

Uh? How do you get 4 "60 days stamps" with a triple-entry tourist?

I think something wrong here; maybe you need to extend each entry for 30 days.

Oops, you're right. Thanks. Modified plan:

28/10/2011 - 60 days finished. Extend stay at Bkk immigration for 30 days for 1900 Baht

27/11/2011 - 30 days finished. Visa run. New 60-day stamp

25/01/2012 - 60 days finished. Extend stay at Bkk immigration for 30 days for 1900 Baht

15/04/2012 - 60 days finished. Extend stay at Bkk immigration for 30 days for 1900 Baht

Concerned about Penang issuing that visa though. What are the chances?

What's the big deal of getting an English translation of your marriage certificate? Surely sooner or later it will come in handy.

What's the big deal of getting an English translation of your marriage certificate? Surely sooner or later it will come in handy.

I was there yesterday and they do require the English translation.

Oddly enough they do offer a translation service but not while you wait so if applying by post I assume you can send your thai language marriage cert and get it translated at the same time maybe???

I would change this and get a double-entry tourist visa from Phnom Penh if you're looking for maximum length of stay. 9 months + 6 months = 15 months = the same as you were getting on the non-O.

28/10/2011 - 60 days finished. Extend stay at Bkk immigration for 30 days for 1900 Baht

25/01/2012 - 60 days finished. Extend stay at Bkk immigration for 30 days for 1900 Baht

I think you should have a good chance to get the visa at Penang,

also apply for the triple entry visa at Hull in the last week of August so the validity starts

near the time you enter Thailand. They always return applications within two working days by special delivery post.

Unless your applying in person, then go 2 or 3 days before you travel.

Edited by sotsira

I think you should have a good chance to get the visa at Penang,

also apply for the triple entry visa at Hull in the last week of August so the validity starts

near the time you enter Thailand. They always return applications within two working days by special delivery post.

Unless your applying in person, then go 2 or 3 days before you travel.

Current posted advice is that Penang will not issue additional Tourist Visas if any previous one(s) have been extended by Thai Immigration inside of Thailand.

Current posted advice is that Penang will not issue additional Tourist Visas if any previous one(s) have been extended by Thai Immigration inside of Thailand.

Good point. I don't think they'd be looking favorably at an applicant who had extended 3 times in 7 months. Vientiane will probably issue it, Phnom Penh definitely will... of course what is going on right now may change by the time the OP is ready to apply next year.

Now then, what if someone in my position were to be offered a job by a Thai company, and the company wrote a letter to a Thai consulate in the UK stating this intention to employ her, so that she could get a multi-entry non-B visa. But when she returns to Thailand, the job offer is sadly withdrawn, and she is unable to find another job for the remaining 12 months. Any danger in her continuing to use the non-B on 90-day entries for the next 12-15 months, even though she can't find a job and therefore can't get a work permit?

Now then, what if someone in my position were to be offered a job by a Thai company, and the company wrote a letter to a Thai consulate in the UK stating this intention to employ her, so that she could get a multi-entry non-B visa. But when she returns to Thailand, the job offer is sadly withdrawn, and she is unable to find another job for the remaining 12 months. Any danger in her continuing to use the non-B on 90-day entries for the next 12-15 months, even though she can't find a job and therefore can't get a work permit?

Once issued, in the case of not securing employment/Work Permit, such a Multi Entry Non B Visa can be used without issue for it's full one year duration to obtain 90 day entries to Thailand.

Should you then obtain an offer of employment with another company in Thailand, then you can also apply for a Work Permit using this same non-immigrant B visa.

Thanks. I never had a problem in the past (a few times) with getting multi-entry non-B visas from Hull with just a supporting letter from the employing or employment-offering company.

"Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing income of minimum £900.00 per month.

So for people like me over 50 I see no problem........"

No problem if you happen to have an income. Personally I'm not bothered by this as I'm already here, already have my visa obtained from Birmingham just a few months ago (for which I provided no documentation at all), and will have an extension issued here based on having 800kB in the bank.

But if I was applying now in the UK for a visa I wouldnt get it because although I have a lot of money in the bank I dont receive any sort of regular income. This is rather silly, given the amount of money I have. I suspect that many other people would also be in my position.

Also rather silly in that the UK state pension (which is a suitable qualification for a visa) is only half of the GBP900/month required for people over 50 who dont receive a pension.

Has the 800kB in the bank option definitely gone?