Thai University Accused Of Selling Graduate Teaching Diplomas For Upwards Of Bt30,000

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about Thailand and fake degrees. It is not about the current or former Prime Minister.

Comments about the authenticity of their degrees, their English skills etc. are off-topic.

Please stay on topic.

This thread is about Thailand and fake degrees. It is not about the current or former Prime Minister.

Comments about the authenticity of their degrees, their English skills etc. are off-topic.

Please stay on topic.

But, Scott, I'm desperate now to know who/what Jayboy's "good authority" is. Don't leave us in suspense, please.ohmy.gif

Actually, an MA Oxon is always awarded on application and payment of a fee after some time following grant of the Bachelor's degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Arts_(Oxbridge_and_Dublin)

Edited by Xangsamhua

I'd like to stress that this university, Esarn University, is NOT the main Khon Kaen University which is known as KKU and is a highly-regarded university.

Esarn University is out of Khon Kaen city, past the airport, on the road to Manchakiri and is a small private university.

Yes, they mustn't be confused. Khon Kaen University is a highly regarded provincial university.

Please stay on topic.

But, Scott, I'm desperate now to know who/what Jayboy's "good authority" is. Don't leave us in suspense, please.ohmy.gif

Actually, an MA Oxon is always awarded on application and payment of a fee after some time following grant of the Bachelor's degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Arts_(Oxbridge_and_Dublin)

A slight sense of humour failure in the house.As Xangsamhua points out the Oxford M.A is automatic (assuming one applies for it and the cheque doesn't bounce) after the B.A (which is of course subject to examination).One doesn't even to turn up for the M.A although there is a ceremony in the Sheldonian Theatre for those bothered.

I'd like to stress that this university, Esarn University, is NOT the main Khon Kaen University which is known as KKU and is a highly-regarded university.

Esarn University is out of Khon Kaen city, past the airport, on the road to Manchakiri and is a small private university.

Yes, they mustn't be confused. Khon Kaen University is a highly regarded provincial university.

The rector of E-Sarn University that was just sacked is being replaced by the former rector of Khon Kaen University and so hopefully things can get turned around there.

Please stay on topic.

http://en.wikipedia....idge_and_Dublin)

A slight sense of humour failure in the house.As Xangsamhua points out the Oxford M.A is automatic (assuming one applies for it and the cheque doesn't bounce) after the B.A (which is of course subject to examination).One doesn't even to turn up for the M.A although there is a ceremony in the Sheldonian Theatre for those bothered.

biggrin.gif OK JB. thanks for setting me straight. I was a bit surprised - such a well-read chap as you.

I have said this before about teachers

@ Universities being pressured into passing students

regardless of scores. I won't name the Uni.

Some are paying? They must be going to a cheaper Uni.

Sorry my bad, late night viewing, read wrong. Same dog different leg.

E-Sarn University under OHEC as staff admit to selling diplomas

By The Nation

The management of E-Sarn University admitted to the Office of Higher Education Commission (OHEC) yesterday that they were responsible of selling diplomas, the commission's director-general Sumeth Yaemnun said.

Under a directive from the Education Ministry, the Khon Kaen-based private institution will now be run by OHEC, he said. As a result, the university's board of directors, lecturers and other members of the management staff are now out of a job.

Dr Janya Sawaenkarn, who won the permit to set up the university, acknowledged the ruling and agreed that the allegations had grounds.

Under the new administration, all management costs including meeting allowances and travel expenses, will have to be shouldered by former members of the university staff. Two deputy rectors have been given the job of helping OHEC deal with the issue.

The two unnamed deputy rectors and Janya have agreed not to appeal against the ruling and said they hoped to see the "crisis turned into an opportunity through effective and speedy administration that enables it to do the right thing".

Sumeth did not discuss the criminal prosecution and fines members of the university management would face, though the Department of Special Investigation agreed with OHEC over the wrongdoings.

DSI directorgeneral Tarit Pengdith said yesterday that all the allegations about the sale and purchase of diplomas had grounds and further investigation would go ahead once the department's board gave it the nod.

Among the many irregularities that have been made public by the media and confirmed by the DSI, he said Esarn University staff told applicants openly that they would not need to attend lectures and would get their diplomas provided they paid in advance.

The DSI is waiting to find out if it should continue probing the case or if a formal board approval would be needed for the agency to officially handle the full investigation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-30

I have said this before about teachers

@ Universities being pressured into passing students

regardless of scores. I won't name the Uni.

Some are paying? They must be going to a cheaper Uni.

Sorry my bad, late night viewing, read wrong. Same dog different leg.

I hope your not suggesting that it's a regular event that lecturers are pressured to pass students. I lecture at two universities, for quite some years, and I have never been pressured by the administration or directly by parents to change a grade or to ensure a certain grade. I have had two cases of students (both girls) ask if they could sit for the same exam again, one asked if I would coach her for a few hours then let her sit quickly for the exam (same exam), In both cases I refused to continue the discussion and both students never mentioned it again. I should add that I push students hard and I give them a lot or additional work, both individual and in small groups, and those who are too lazy either drop out of the class, or quickly find that other students don't want them in their teams. And, I do some extra coaching with those you work hard but struggle. End result is good.

On the other hand I'm not totally naive, there probably are some cases in the overall picture, especially at private universities where money has bigger power.

Edited by scorecard

"Many degree-buyers have now become school directors or executives," she said.

Anybody got any idea where the said university is?:jap:

I believe E-Sarn University is in Khon Kaen, near the city's airport....

Never been there, but seen a sign for them on the highway....

Maybe they'll be changing their name to E-Scam University... :lol:

Yes, it is in Khon Kaen.

Here are the recent graduates from their School of Nursing on campus.

nu_55_20110321_1864446798.jpg

http://www.esu.ac.th/

According to the other paper, E-Sarn University Council yesterday suspended the university rector, the graduate school dean, the deputy graduate school dean, the registrar's assistant, and other university executives from duty immediately and indefinitely due to their involvement with the sale of fake professional teacher certificates.

Graduates in university scandal appealing license loss

As many as 231 graduates from Esarn University, Khon Kaen province, have lodged complaints with authorities after the university's degree selling scandal that has resulted in the cancellation of their teaching licenses.

Many complainants had already been recruited as teachers, a complaint center's director Sontaya Chathamma said yesterday.

"Without the teaching licenses, their careers are endangered," he pointed out.

Sontaya said many other complainants had registered for tests that would give them teaching jobs if they were successful. Now that their teaching licenses are cancelled, they have lost the right to sit the tests.

Last month, Esarn University's council decided to revoke the graduation of more than 1,000 graduates in courses for the graduate diploma for teaching.

Its decision came after the university was found to have sold degrees and diplomas to many people. Some graduates had clearly not sat in any class but had been allowed to graduate.

After the cancellation, many graduates had seen their teaching licenses revoked too.

Sontaya said yesterday that his center, which reports to the Office of the Higher Education Commission, would receive complaints until May 31.

"We will review each complaint and supporting documents. For those who have really completed the courses, we will ask Esarn University's council to consider giving diplomas back to them. After that, they should be able to reclaim their teaching licenses," he said.

Apart from Sontaya's center, the Teachers Council of Thailand has received complaints from other institutes' graduates running into trouble because of the Esarn University scandal. For now, the council has only accepted complaints until May 2.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-11

Edited by Buchholz

55555555555555555 how thick must you be that you gotta pay to pass a thai exam ??????? :D ..........

Teacher ; '' nong, where are the alps''?

Student " i dont know sir, ask my mother, she cleans up the home''

education education education !:D

I'd say, most ordinary Thai folks wouldn't have the slightest idea of where The Alps are, or, for that matter, any number of entire countries... World geography doesn't seem to be a particularly strong emphasis here... :whistling:

Buying fake degrees might just be a good thing. Perhaps it will put people in positions who can actually think and solve problems as opposed to being test takers. All the fancy degrees floating around Wall St hasn't exactualy produced a good result.

My ex was a excellent "test taker" and a honor student who easily obtained a masters, but she couldn't manage her way out of a paper bag. My current wife could run a business successfully but is wasting her time getting a degree.

The bottom line is fake degree or not; can they do the job?

I'd say, most ordinary Thai folks wouldn't have the slightest idea of where The Alps are, or, for that matter, any number of entire countries... World geography doesn't seem to be a particularly strong emphasis here... :whistling:

i know, i was joking ,.. their strong subjects are world history , maths, science , and english ,........right ?

Understatement of the year. My accountant believes Ireland to be somewhere in the Middle East.

Buying fake degrees might just be a good thing. Perhaps it will put people in positions who can actually think and solve problems as opposed to being test takers. All the fancy degrees floating around Wall St hasn't exactualy produced a good result.

My ex was a excellent "test taker" and a honor student who easily obtained a masters, but she couldn't manage her way out of a paper bag. My current wife could run a business successfully but is wasting her time getting a degree.

The bottom line is fake degree or not; can they do the job?

Yes of course. Hope you never need a 'lawyer' ...

Understatement of the year. My accountant believes Ireland to be somewhere in the Middle East.

Better not tell the Irish they're all Muslims... They'll be in for one heck of a surprise! B)

BTW, the last time I used the English term "Middle East" with a Thai who speaks and understands English, I got an blank, unknowing stare...

These degrees sound very expensive, have the buyers never heard of Khaosan road. You can get degrees there from good English and American universities for around 500 to 2000 Baht.

not just Thailand. My wife has just finished her second ESOL course in the UK , We enquirer why the results are taking so long to be confirmed,We where informed that some colleges where selling the pass certificate.Now there is a big inquiry into Bogus colleges and courses in the UK.