Keane Set To Leave United

Shivek

Roy Keane has stunned Manchester United by revealing he expects to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season.

The Irishman's contract is due to expire in the summer and it was widely assumed he would be given at least an extra year, possibly to combine playing duties with a coaching role.

However, in a live MUTV phone-in, Keane has rejected any likelihood of moving straight onto Sir Alex Ferguson's backroom staff and feels it will be the end of the season before United chief executive David Gill decides whether the 34-year-old will be handed an extension, by which time it will be too late.

'I would like to play another year or two but I do not think it will be at Manchester United,' he said.

'I would be surprised if I was offered a new contract and even if I was, I would not expect it to be until the end of the season but by then I will have already made a decision about what I am going to do.

'There comes a time for everybody when they have to move on and I am prepared to play elsewhere.

'I think it will be good to experience a different dressing room. It wouldn't be an English team though, coming back to Old Trafford and going into the away dressing room would be too hard for me to stomach.'

The last statement is bound to alert Celtic, as Keane has made no secret of his desire to play for the Parkhead club at some stage in his career.

Although he is currently sidelined with a broken foot, the prospect of United without Keane is virtually unthinkable.

The fiery midfielder has been the inspiration behind Sir Alex Ferguson's side since he first arrived as a raw youngster from Nottingham Forest in 1993, making 480 senior appearances and playing a major role in almost all United's successes.

Even though he missed the 1999 Champions League Final, the £3.75million Ferguson splashed out to secure his services will probably go down as some of the best money ever spent by United.

However, it appears the United boss is losing his battle to keep Keane at the club.

When the Cork-born player first mooted his intention to quit this summer in the middle of last season, he immediately received a telephone call from Ferguson informing him the Scot would be the man who decides when the midfielder will sever his ties with Old Trafford.

Ferguson's position is not likely to have changed. Indeed, he will probably be reeling at tonight's announcement.

But the harsh reality is if Keane is offered a new deal, it would almost certainly be for one year only and then on a pay-per-play basis, whereas at Celtic would almost certainly offer a better overall deal.

In addition, Keane's departure has also been anticipated within the United hierarchy.

One very senior Old Trafford official confided in private recently that the player may move away, before eventually returning to join the coaching staff.

'I am not putting a gun to anybody's head,' said Keane. 'But my gut reaction last season was this would be my last year and I still feel that way.

'You have to learn and be prepared to move on. Life will not stop when I leave Manchester United.

'It might be an opportunity to go into management or coaching somewhere else and it is best to make a clean break because coaching at Manchester United doesn't really appeal.'

Keane has made no secret of his desire to follow former Red Devils' skippers Steve Bruce and Bryan Robson into management and intends to complete his UEFA coaching badges over the next few months.

But, interested lower league clubs who feel they may be able to attract the most influential domestic player of his generation, might be advised to look elsewhere.

'I don't want to look too far ahead because I want to play on for a bit yet but I wouldn't want to drop too far down,' he said.

'Your first job in management is an important one. I would like to go to a club with ambition, a decent fan base and some decent players.'

Meanwhile, Keane said his international future would be thrashed out with Ireland coach Brian Kerr if his country failed to qualify for next summer's World Cup.

The midfielder, who won the first of his 67 caps against Chile in 1991, came out of international retirement to try to help steer Brian Kerr's team to Germany next year and make up for missing out on the last tournament following his infamous pre-competition bust-up with Mick McCarthy.

His current injury rules him out of next month's double-header with Cyprus and Switzerland and also possibly any play-off should the Republic secure second spot in their group.

'I still think we have a chance to qualify,' he said. 'If we don't, we will I have to talk to Brian and see what happens but I don't want to cross that bridge before I get to it.'

Quote from Mick McCarthy at Sunderland: "I would love Keane to come and join us. There is just one stumbling block. The guy is a first rate pr*ck!"

:D:D

he is a first rate W4nker. He ruined Alfie Haarlands career at City, i wish some big blokes would break his legs. Also,what does it say about Scottish football, when an as-been from the premiership can get first team play in scotland :o:D

he is a first rate W4nker. He ruined Alfie Haarlands career at City, i wish some big blokes would break his legs. Also,what does it say about Scottish football, when an as-been from the premiership can get first team play in scotland  :o  :D

It says that the Scottish Premier League is not as good as the English Premier League. :D:D

Keane has been a great player for Man Utd. He is probab;y getting too old to play every game in the Premiership and the Champions League.

I think a move to Celtic would be a good thing for Keane.

I don't hear Celtic asking for any English Premier rejects, even if he is keen for a move. How about Hartlepool ?

consider this.

1. Two geordie players trade punche or two on the pitch, one ends up in a court case.

2. Roy Keane goes out of his way to injury Inge Harland, commits one of the worst tackles i've ever season, I.H. is carried off, Keane gets a game ban or so and I.H injury is so bad he never recovers and has to retire from the game. Keane writes in his book that he intended to get I.H.

where's the justice? Why wasn't Keane in court, or in prison.

Talented maybe, bloody lucky to still be playing if you ask me!

Personally

he is a first rate W4nker,

now now Mr. Bojangles.

Best midfielder the premiership has seen bar none. Yeah off his head at times but, oh every fan of other teams would have loved to have him in their team. Thats why great players get slagged off because they are greattttttttttttttttttttt.

He ruined Alfie Haarlands career at City, i wish some big blokes would break his legs.

Get your facts right. Yes it was a very bad tackle and he was out of order but Haarland retired not because of Keane's tackle. It was his other leg he had problems with and thats why he retired.

So bitter blue strikes again.

It would be nice to hear from some city fans who are not so bitter.

JJP

consider this.

1. Two geordie players trade punche or two on the pitch, one ends up in a court case.

2. Roy Keane goes out of his way to injury Inge Harland, commits one of the worst tackles i've ever season, I.H. is carried off, Keane gets a game ban or so and I.H injury is so bad he never recovers and has to retire from the game. Keane writes in his book that he intended to get I.H.

where's the justice? Why wasn't Keane in court, or in prison.

Talented maybe, bloody lucky to still be playing if you ask me!

Personally

Got to agree with you there. Keane's tackle on Haaland was disgraceful. If he actually admitted that he purposely went out to injure him then I'm surprised charges were never pressed.

When you look at the Dyer/Bowyer incident it was nothing more than handbags. I bet there are worse punch ups during training. Had it been Shearer involved instead of Bowyer then I'm sure it would have been swept under the carpet. It's because Bowyer has a history of bad behavior that many people are out to get him. Since the Dyer incident Bowyer has been done for speeding and was accused of assaulting a Pompey player off the ball last week. When you look at his past, I don't think Bowyer deserves much sympathy if he is found guilty in his court case.

Edited by Spit the Dog

Get your facts right. Yes it was a very bad tackle and he was out of order but Haarland retired not because of Keane's tackle. It was his other leg he had problems with and thats why he retired.

So bitter blue strikes again.

It would be nice to hear from some city fans who are not so bitter.

JJP

Cr4p, jjp. Read Bredbury Blues post above, that says it all. Yes, i am indeed a PROUD bitter Blue :D:o but this has nothing to do with being bitter. The guy is just a thug, or was, now he's too old for that. Joey Barton will nail the old fart hopefully and give him his just deserts :D

Mr Bojangles,

Have you read my posts correctly?

quote Mrbojangles:

he is a first rate W4nker. He ruined Alfie Haarlands career at City,

He never ruined Haarlands City career because he retired with problems with his other leg and not the same leg from Keane's tackle. As i said in an earlier thread.

Read cafefully.

quote JJP Yes it was a very bad tackle and he was out of order.

Agreed it was a very bad challange, so whats your point?

Quote; Brad blue;

Got to agree with you there. Keane's tackle on Haaland was disgraceful. If he actually admitted that he purposely went out to injure him then I'm surprised charges were never pressed.

Agreed also but how many tackles have we seen over the years like that. Yes, he did admit but how many players have gone on the pitch with the same intent

and not admitted it

Dont tell me about Joey Barton please,

When in glass houses mate.

quote: Mr Bojangles

The guy is just a thug,

Maybe we should try and buy the little scouse runt to replace Keane. One thug for another, . :o

JJP