Re Entry At Sauan Plu Saturday?

There does not appear to be any need to email it from my reading of post. That was an old test procedure when immigration was still located there and even then almost nobody used it (they did not man the assigned drive up window in any case from most reports).

Note that the re-entry permit service at Suan Plu is also open on weekdays:

Service for Re-entry permit online by Stop &

Stamp

Contact at Immigration Division1 (Soi SuaPlu , Satorn

Rd.)

Counter 6-7 Room 102 , 1st Floor , Building 1

Tel. :

0-2287-1983

Office hour: Mon-Fri 8:30 - 12.00 and 13.00 - 16:30

Saturday

8:30 - 12.00

Closed on OFFICIAL HOLIDAYS

http://bangkok.immig.../location3.html

• 1 month later...

I went today (Saturday) to the Suan Plu Immigration Office to obtain a re-entry permit for an upcoming, unexpected trip back to the U.S., and successfully used their email-ahead "Stop and Stamp" system that worked very well. So I took the opportunity to talk with one of the Immigration staff there, and got a fuller explanation of their set-up as follows...

At least for Bangkok area residents, it appears the Suan Plu Office is issuing re-entry permits Monday through Saturday. And applicants can either just show up, in which case they'll be given a queue number and have to wait a good while, or use the "stop and stamp" system whereby you email your completed TM8 re-entry permit application form to them the day before, and then just go quickly to have your passport stamped and pay the service fee the next day.

The location, hours and details of the process are listed on BKK Immigration's web site, but here's the screen shots of the pertinent info:

post-53787-0-95199200-1306558472_thumb.j

post-53787-0-09906600-1306558472_thumb.j

In my case, I emailed them my completed TM8 form, a Microsoft Word doc that you can download from the Immigration web site and send as a file attachment, at about 3:30 p.m. yesterday (Friday) afternoon. In my email, because it was sent somewhat late in the afternoon on a Friday, I asked them to answer back to confirm that I could still stop by the next day (today/Saturday morning) to complete the process, because unlike the weekdays, they're only open from 8:30 am to noon on Saturday. I got no response at all to my email query.

But, nonetheless, I went this morning and was in and out of the Suan Plu office in about 10 minutes... When I arrived about 9 am, there were about 30 people waiting at the Counter 7 waiting room where the re-entry permits are issued. Those were the folks who didn't email ahead. After I checked in at the counter where you need to tell them you emailed them the day before, the counter staff maybe processed one of the queue line before then calling my name to come and pick up my stamped passport. And out the door I went, with all the queue line folks still waiting behind.

What Immigration doesn't say on their web site is that they want the "Stop and Stamp" email folks to also bring a printout of BOTH the completed TM8 form that you've already emailed in and a printed copy of the actual email you've sent to them the day before. I'm not sure why... perhaps as a way of verifying that you really did email them the day before, and aren't just claiming you did to avoid a long queue line... In any event, I had a spare printed copy of my completed TM8 form and gave it to the counter girl when she asked for it, along with the fee and the 2 in. passport photo that they attach to your application. I could be wrong, but for the actual processing, I think they used the actual printed form I handed them as opposed to the version I had emailed in the day before...

Lastly, the Counter 7 at Suan Plu where they handle and issue re-entry permits is actually located on the back side of the main Immigration building... So once you enter off the main driveway on Soi Suan Plu, you keep walking along the side of the building to the rear and the entry door to the room with Counter 7 is just around the corner to the right... See the photos below...

post-53787-0-13157200-1306559391_thumb.j

post-53787-0-99585100-1306559391_thumb.j

All in all, especially for folks who live in Central BKK, I'd say the Suan Plu location is a whole lot more convenient that trekking out to Chaeng Wattana, and the email ahead system makes the application process about as quick and hassle free as it could get..

Too bad they haven't extended the same approach to other things like extensions of stay...

PS - In the photo above, you can see they have a kind of walk up or drive up window along the side of the building where the sign talks about online re-entry permits... During my visit today, the only thing they appeared to be using that window for was to accept a morning coffee delivery for the office staff. The window glass on the outside there is mirrored, so you can't see inside from the outside. And when I stuck my face up to the sliding window panel to look as I was walking around the side of the building, no one opened the window or did anything. So I'm assuming it's basically unused.

Edited by jfchandler

Sorry SBK, I didn't ask about if they will do re-entry permit service for non-BKK residents at Suan Plu...

Maybe a phone call to Immigration's 1111 hotline (3 baht per call) would answer that question...or the office phone listed for Counter 7 at Suan Plu -- Tel. : 02 287-1983.

I'll note, however, that Immigration's Division 1 web site makes a prominent mention of saying Div 1 (of which Suan Plu is a part) provides services only to foreigners living in Bangkok.

BTW, there's also the less convenient re-entry permit desk at Suvarnabhumi Airport, which is open every day from early morning until midnight... But to use it, you have to be flying out if Thailand and in possession of your boarding pass in the few hour period before one's international flight departs. Regarding that option, I've always been a bit too nervous to leave getting a re-entry permit to the last couple hours before my flight departs, and hoping that someone is actually staffing the airport's re-entry permit desk...