British Tourist Robbed And Injured

britmaveric

Pattaya Mail:

British tourist robbed and injured

Is this the way to make our guest feel welcome?

PATTAYA: -- A 67-year old British man walking through Soi 6 in Central Pattaya at 11:30 p.m. on the night of September 14 was attacked and injured by three men who stole 7,000 baht and his mobile phone before fleeing in the direction of Second Road.

James Mills told police he had been on his way to meet a friend at one of the beer bars in Soi 2. He said he had been in Pattaya for about a week and was staying at a hotel in Soi 20, on the Pattaya-Naklua Road. Mills said he didn’t expect to be attacked in the city even though his friend had warned him to steer clear of Soi 6. Police sent him to hospital for treatment.

-- Pattaya Mail 2005-09-30

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in the U.S., the media focus so overwhelmingly on the negative that people outside of an area are left with exaggerated images of the dangers present in that area.

I note that because I am wondering if the same is true there in Pattaya. As I monitor the info posted here at TV, I see a parade of items about assaults such as this one. I can't help but wonder about the threat level perceived by those of you who live there.

Is it, in fact, unsafe to walk the streets of Pattaya alone, at night, these days? Or are incidents like this extremely rare, and not something that should deter a man from such activities. (It is, of course, never adviseable, in any country or location, for a woman to do so.)

Your experiences and frank opinions are welcomed.

Great Soi my new favourite spot is there - Whiskey bar. (enclosed w/aircon and great selection whiskeys) Also Aquanauts dive shop is there, and then Crown Vic. Never seen any problems there - apart from being accosted by ladies as you work your way down the Soi to beach rd.

Just MO. It does seem to me that crime is increasing and getting more violent and more often guns are being used.

However if you are sensible, dont wear any gold, dont cary large sums of cash,dont ride a motor cycle at night , and dont get involved in any disputes involving other people, you should not have any problems.

Pattaya is no more dangerous than most other parts of the world if you use a bit of common sense.

That's in line with my usual line of thinking, Cobber. However, the fact is that I don't spend much time walking at night here in the US. I live in Southern California, land of the automobile. The distances between places in any suburban area here dictate use of the car for nearly everything you want to do.

When I lived in Shanghai for 15 months, I would frequently walk at night. Never had a problem in those streets, or felt any threat of a problem.

When I move to Pattaya early next year, I hope to spend a great deal of time walking, both for my health and my entertainment. I will never present any obvious temptations, such as expensive jewelry, flashing of cash, etc.

But I wonder if some of the punks have the impression that ANY farang must have something worth stealing? I also wonder if, as my logic would suggest, they are likely to prey almost exclusively on those they perceive to be too old or unfit to defend themselves. The latter could help me, since I don't appear to be as old as I am (62), and, while no body builder, I'm not, in any way, infirm. Typically, punks who assault strangers are cowards, who will only go for the "sure thing". Does that seem to be the pattern there in most of the incidents you've seen or heard about?

In any case, I won't be spending my life worrying about it. I'm curious, but not excessively concerned. As you said, Cobber, reasonable caution should be a normal part of life. But I enjoy life too much to live it in a state of constant fear. The wise course would seem to be to gain an understanding of the areas, times, and circumstances when a genuine threat might be present, and simply avoid such.

Here in the U.S., the media focus so overwhelmingly on the negative that people outside of an area are left with exaggerated images of the dangers present in that area.

I note that because I am wondering if the same is true there in Pattaya. As I monitor the info posted here at TV, I see a parade of items about assaults such as this one. I can't help but wonder about the threat level perceived by those of you who live there.

Is it, in fact, unsafe to walk the streets of Pattaya alone, at night, these days? Or are incidents like this extremely rare, and not something that should deter a man from such activities. (It is, of course, never adviseable, in any country or location, for a woman to do so.)

Your experiences and frank opinions are welcomed.

anyone who lives here aint gonna be down soi six at 11.30pm if they are they deserve all they get.?67 he could be 17 and be mugged in soi sex at 11.30 at night.pattaya or any other resort area in thailand is still safer than any other place ive ever been on holiday.down town in any american city is a no go area as well as many european citys.probably more people mugged in disney world in a month than pattaya in a year.can anyone remember the last tourist to be shot for a wallet [on the street]?in pattaya.the place is safe as houses even for you yanks but to be on the safe side pretend your from canada!.

Purse snatching, pick pocketing, or moped crimes are what are most common. I'm kind of surprised since the Soi is rather active/busy and I know someone saw smth. I consider this a one off.

Thanks for the reassurance, Maveric. The minor crimes are really of no more than nuisance concern to me. I know how to guard against the pests that play that game. But crimes with weapons, or attacks by multiple assailants are serious situations. It's good to know that Pattaya isn't deteriorating into an environment where that sort of thing is a frequent occurance.

(Maybe we need a TV Vigilante team!) :o:D

George

Definately no need to feel paranoid. I honestly feel quite safe walking the streets be it day or night. Most of the crime against farang seems to be from the down and outs that are desperate for money .I dont really think they prey on the weak, just anyone thats too flashy with their valuables.

Thais also can have a bit of a short fuse if a dispute arises. So as i said if your sensible you shouldnt have a problem. Its possibly a little differant from socal where you may have areas that are just no go zones. Here in MO there arent really any specific dangerous areas.

Also when i first came here some thais indicated that it was a waste of time calling the police as they just would not come out, but in 2 situations that i have wittnessed they have come in full force very quickly. So i do have confidence that if the need ever arises they wont be too far away.

Tourist attacked on Beach Road

Walked alone in hotspot area Tramping the resort’s Beach Road at night alone can be a hazardous enterprise in spite of recent attempts to clean up the act, including better lighting and more patrols. 67 year old James Mills discovered this to his cost as he was hit in the back by plank wielding villains who then beat him to the ground with nifty foot action. Passers by called the police and a squad was sent to the soi 6 district, but the ne’re do wells by this time had absconded with 7,000 baht and a mobile phone belonging to the farang visitor. Mr Mills told investigators he lived in an hotel on soi 20 in Naklua and customarily took an evening stroll into Pattaya to get a breath of fresh air and to enjoy the sights. On the night in question, he got as far as Soi Yodsak when he heard a woman say “Hello”. She completed her introduction by asking where he was going. As the farang paused to utter a mundane reply, two men hit him from behind and completed their thievery in double-quick time. Police said it would be difficult to follow up on this case as there wasn’t any description of the dastardly varlets.

-Pattaya Today

30 Sept 2005

A little more info here from Pattaya Today

Edited by britmaveric

Dear Forum,

Was it, by chance, other Brits who attacked the unfortunate chap?

I hear a lot of Jolly Old’s small-time knuckleheads are preying about, & I didn’t see any mention of the nationalities of the attackers in the story.

Or should I assume that muggers are exclusively represented by the native population?

Signed,

Bewildered

Pattaya Mail:

British tourist robbed and injured

Is this the way to make our guest feel welcome?

PATTAYA: -- A 67-year old British man walking through Soi 6 in Central Pattaya at 11:30 p.m. on the night of September 14 was attacked and injured by three men who stole 7,000 baht and his mobile phone before fleeing in the direction of Second Road.

James Mills told police he had been on his way to meet a friend at one of the beer bars in Soi 2. He said he had been in Pattaya for about a week and was staying at a hotel in Soi 20, on the Pattaya-Naklua Road. Mills said he didn’t expect to be attacked in the city even though his friend had warned him to steer clear of Soi 6. Police sent him to hospital for treatment.

-- Pattaya Mail 2005-09-30

FFresh news!! Every time I need a blow... I'll report later

...  Thais also can have a bit of a short fuse if a dispute arises.

Having been married to one for the last 32 years, there's no need to tell me that, Cobber! :o

Oh how true that is, still there are compensating short fuses in the more agreeable activities. :D

The incidence of on street robbery are increasing in Thailand though, one only has to read the Thai language newspapers on the net to see that is a fact, the wife reads 'em and tells me. It is not necessary to be a falang, just to look as if you have a $ or a mobile phone on your belt. As has been said already it happens everywhere, the greater the gap between rich and poor the greater the incidence. :D