Thai And Cambodian Troops Clash Again

webfact

I have been to visit the wife's family about 3k.m away from Phanom Dongrak and after listening to bombings for the last 2 mornings and the village being officially evacuated, we decided to come home early to Chiang Rai.

Nearly all the village was gone, some to nearby families and others to local schools, set up as places refugee centres.

All pretty well organized.

Father in law stayed behind to look after the livestock.

Everything quiet so far this morning.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've quickly read through most of the posts prior to this one (there may be a couple I haven't read, because my typing speed is not that bad, but it isn't as quick as some of the blurts I may miss while I'm typing)

In a nut shell.

Most of the heavy shelling so far has been from Thailand to Cambodia.

Not that many shells have landed in the Buriram province, but some have.

There has been no organised evacuation in the Amphur of Ban Kruat, however our Poo Yai did announce on the tannoy system a few hours ago that should the fighting break out again tomorrow we should all consider leaving the area. I am well outside the town centre, well outside.

But the Tessaban in Ban Kruat is full of Thai nationals that have left their homes in the Chantobpej area voluntarily in fear, and some government buildings in Non Charoen have also taken worried people in.

Going to bed now, as I confidently expect to be woken up in around six hours with some loud noises.

What about Ban Koka Chai about ten km straight line from Ta Muan any body have any news

Ok, I've quickly read through most of the posts prior to this one (there may be a couple I haven't read, because my typing speed is not that bad, but it isn't as quick as some of the blurts I may miss while I'm typing)

In a nut shell.

Most of the heavy shelling so far has been from Thailand to Cambodia.

Not that many shells have landed in the Buriram province, but some have.

There has been no organised evacuation in the Amphur of Ban Kruat, however our Poo Yai did announce on the tannoy system a few hours ago that should the fighting break out again tomorrow we should all consider leaving the area. I am well outside the town centre, well outside.

But the Tessaban in Ban Kruat is full of Thai nationals that have left their homes in the Chantobpej area voluntarily in fear, and some government buildings in Non Charoen have also taken worried people in.

Going to bed now, as I confidently expect to be woken up in around six hours with some loud noises.

What about Ban Koka Chai about ten km straight line from Ta Muan any body have any news

The last news I had about Khokachai was that a good number of the people had evacuated to Non Charoen and the road past it heading towards Dong Rak is blockaded by the Police.

True, you find revisionists and nationalists in Thailand, but by far not that much or strong as in Cambodia.

In fact I don't know any Country where nationalism is higher than in Cambodia.

One day this WILL become a real war since the problem isn't going away. It grows stronger and Hun Sen supports the way full with every action, knowing that he has great support in the region.

The profession as warrior has more priority for him than some that could be used to make Cambodians economy stronger.

I wonder if Hun Sen's possible imminent passing will have any impact.

http://kimedia.wordp...as-lung-cancer/

"I do not believe that the Thai army would even think of using poisonous gas or cluster bombs"

Wrong, the whole conflict was started deliberately at breakfast time when the Thai Army Kitchen Squad where making Chao Pat Kra Pao, creating huge gas clouds consisting of fried chilli tear gas, a problem that we are all familiar with. The Cambodian Army which was situated only 100metres away, according to reports, probably thought they were being attacked by poisonous gas, and retaliated with what the Thai Army mistook as rockets and cluster bombs. In fact they were only firing clusters of stale bread rolls and French loaves.

Edited by Estrada

What is the artillery being fired at? Is it just random shelling or are they shelling perceived troop concentrations?

Surely, it's time to ask for foreign peacekeepers. This is just ridiculous that in 2011 in Thailand, artillery shells are being fired into civilian areas.

Surely, it's time to ask for foreign peacekeepers. This is just ridiculous that in 2011 in Thailand, artillery shells are being fired into civilian areas.

the day foreign troops arrive here.....is the day me...leaving the country

thais don't want it, thais don't like it......sooner or later it would backfire to farangs living in this wonderful country

Fresh clash at Thai-Cambodian border: officials

SAMRONG, April 24, 2011 (AFP) - Cambodian and Thai troops exchanged

heavy weapons fire for the third straight day on Sunday, officials

from both countries said, after clashes on their joint border left 10

dead.

A Cambodian field commander, Suos Sothea, said the fighting started at

about 10:00 am local time (0300GMT) and both sides were firing

mortars.

"What we can confirm is it involves artillery shell fire," he said.

A Thai official at the border also confirmed the resumption of

hostilities and said "Cambodian opened fire first".

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said the neighbours should

"exercise maximum restraint" and urged the pair to launch "serious

dialogue" in order to resolve the issue, according to a spokesman.

Six Cambodian troops and four Thai soldiers have been killed in the

latest fighting.

THAILAND-CAMBODIA-CONFLICT - 04/24/2011 10:52 - AFP

--

Service: World News (ASI)

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-24

UN chief presses Thailand, Cambodia for ceasefire - Reax

UNITED NATIONS, April 24, 2011 (AFP) - UN Secretary-General Ban

Ki-moon urged Cambodia and Thailand on Saturday to reach a ceasefire

after clashes on their joint border left 10 dead.

"The secretary-general calls on both sides to exercise maximum

restraint and to take immediate measures to put in place for an

effective and verifiable ceasefire," said UN spokesman Martin Nesirky.

Ban "also believes that the dispute cannot be resolved by military

means and urges Cambodia and Thailand to engage in serious dialogue to

find a lasting solution," the spokesman added.

The fighting forced thousands to flee the worst bloodshed since a UN

ceasefire appeal in February.

The two countries exchanged heavy weapons fire for a second straight

day on their disputed jungle frontier, the scene of a series of deadly

gunbattles in recent years.

Three Cambodian troops and one Thai soldier were killed, according to

officials in the two countries, a day after three soldiers died on

each side.

Thousands of villagers been have evacuated from nearby areas on both

sides since the latest violence broke out.

THAILAND-CAMBODIA-CONFLICT-UN - 04/24/2011 07:54 - AFP

--

Service: World News (ASI)

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-24

['Estrada' timestamp=1303616487' post='4377261]

"I do not believe that the Thai army would even think of using poisonous gas or cluster bombs"

Wrong, the whole conflict was started deliberately at breakfast time when the Thai Army Kitchen Squad where making Chao Pat Kra Pao, creating huge gas clouds consisting of fried chilli tear gas, a problem that we are all familiar with. The Cambodian Army which was situated only 100metres away, according to reports, probably thought they were being attacked by poisonous gas, and retaliated with what the Thai Army mistook as rockets and cluster bombs. In fact they were only firing clusters of stale bread rolls and French loaves.

Kapuchea Thmey reported that Thai had fired many rounds containing poisonous gas into Ta Krabey temple compound in an effort to retrieve the bodies of 6 Thai soldiers , they were repelled by Cambodian troops .

Thai - Cambodian Situation

- Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand regarding the unprovoked armed attacks by Cambodian troops on 23 April 2011

With regard to the unprovoked armed attacks on 23 April 2011 by Cambodian troops on Thai soldiers and civilians, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand wishes to state the following facts:

1. From 06.15 – 07.30 hours, the Cambodian side started firing heavy weapons and artilleries including mortars, recoilless rifles and rocket propelled grenades into the area of Ta Kwai along the border towards Ta Muen Temples, situated in Surin Province, Thailand.

2. At 07.50 hours, the Cambodian side deployed its military force into the area of Ta Muen Temples and fired the BM 21 field rockets into the area of civilian residences in villages of Nongkunna, Phanom Dongrak and Phanom Dongrak hospital, resulting in the death of 1 Thai soldier, injury of many Thai soldiers, and evacuation of more than 16,000 civilians.

3. Consequently, the use of heavy weapons by the Cambodian side into the Thai territory left Thailand with no choice, but to defend its sovereignty and territorial integrity against the unprovoked attacks by the Cambodian forces by using proportionate means with necessity, proportionality under the international law and strictly directed at only military targets. The exchanges of gunfire lasted until 11.00 hours today.

4. Thailand strongly condemns the firing of heavy weapons at innocent Thai civilians, especially in the area of a hospital and local residences. Thailand wishes to protest in the strongest terms the repeated armed attacks of Cambodia which is a blatant and clear violation of international law and the Charter of the United Nations. Thailand will not tolerate recurrence of such unlawful and indiscriminate attacks.

23 April 2011

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand

Thai PM: Ready to hold bilateral meeting to solve Thai-Cambodian border conflict

image_2011042411361285CB1E5A-DA93-6DE6-5037F70188DA97D3.jpg

RATCHABURI, April 24 -- In an attempt to end ongoing deadly clashes at the disputed border between Thai and Cambodian forces, Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Sunday his government is prepared to hold a bilateral meeting with the aim of enabling villagers living in the area to have a normal life.

Mr Abhisit said during his weekly TV and radio address that his government is ready to settle the border dispute through the Regional Border Committee or the Joint Boundary Commission meeting which could be held either in Thailand or Cambodia.

He said the meeting, if held, would allow villagers living in the disputed border area to have a normal life.

But Cambodia wants to bring the dispute to an international forum as the Phnom Penh government moved immediately and brought the issue to international organizations following the clashes, according to Mr Abhisit.

“Thailand will not fall into Cambodia’s trap in which the neighbour tries to intensify the conflict so violently that the dispute can no longer be solved at a bilateral level,” insisted the premier.

Thai and Cambodian soldiers have been fighting at the disputed border area in the Thai northeastern province of Surin since Friday, forcing more than 30,000 Thai border villagers to temporarily evacuate to centres deeper inside Thailand.

Fresh fighting erupted again this morning near Ta Kwai temple where clashes in the past two days took place as Thai soldiers reportedly fired several rounds of artillery to protect the country’s sovereignty after being attacked by their neighbour’s armed forces.

No casualties were reported so far as the scene of fighting was about three kilometers away from the local community while Thai villagers had been evacuated earlier.

Mr Abhisit said he had ordered Foreign Affairs Minister Kasit Piromya to issue a protest letter to the Phnom Penh government as well as to Indonesian Foreign Minister Marthy Natalegawa, current chairman of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and inform him about the clashes so that the issue could result in a meeting between Thailand and Cambodia.

The two countries are members of ASEAN.

Mr Abhisit said he would hold a video conference this afternoon with Second Army Region commander Lt Gen Thawatchai Samutsakorn and Minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office Ongart Klampaiboon, who is now inspecting the situation at the disputed border area.

In another development, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Saturday urged the two countries to reach a ceasefire, according to international wire service AFP.

UN spokesman quoted him as saying: “The secretary-general calls on both sides to exercise maximum restraint and to take immediate measures to put in place an effective and verifiable ceasefire.” (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-04-24

PM vows to back Army to defend Thai territory

By The Nation.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva declared Sunday that the government will launch full support to the Army to defend Thai territory in the border dispute with Cambodia.

"As the prime minister, I hereby affirm that the government is ready to support the Army to defend our territory," Abhisit said during his weekly Sunday program broadcast live on NBT channel.

While the Thai military is ready to defend its territory, the government is also ready to take part in the Thai-Cambodian Joint Boundary Commission and Thai-Cambodian General Border Committee.

He said the Foreign Ministry was instructed to tell Thai ambassadors in all countries to explain the issue to the International Community.

"We must not fall into Cambodia's trap. Cambodia tried to internationalise the dispute but the dispute could be settled in bilateral level without a third country," Abhisit said.

The prime minister was commenting on the latest round of border clashes between the two countries.

Thai-Cambodian troops resumed fighting at the border in Surin Sunday morning, the prime minister said.

He said there were sporadic exchanges of gunfire but the overall situation was still clam.

The prime minister said Thailand had no policy to bully its neighbour and the clashes were started by Cambodia.

"Thai troops needed to retaliate to prevent damages to our people," Abhisit said.

"We focused only on the military targets."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-24

Wall Street Journal Asia

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit said Saturday that he was ready to formally accept Indonesia's offer of observers, and was waiting for approval from Thailand's defense minister, which was expected to come this week.

Excerpt from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703434004576281962654157574.html

Wall Street Journal Asia

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit said Saturday that he was ready to formally accept Indonesia's offer of observers, and was waiting for approval from Thailand's defense minister, which was expected to come this week.

Excerpt from http://online.wsj.co...2654157574.html

It's sadly not up to the government, the army will make the decision to allow observers or not.

All of this claptrap from the Thai PM ready to negotiate an agreement for border settlement , each and every form of negotiation so far has been denied or put off by this same government , too many fingers in this pie on the Thai side , they should just <deleted> or get off the pot .

All of this claptrap from the Thai PM ready to negotiate an agreement for border settlement , each and every form of negotiation so far has been denied or put off by this same government , too many fingers in this pie on the Thai side , they should just <deleted> or get off the pot .

The problem is that when the government agrees to move towards an agreement, the powerful generals actually running the country step in and over-rule them.

Artillery steady but less intense than yesterday. Quite wide spread and appears to stretch from the border at Ta Kwai all the way to the border directly south of Khok Takian. Any one in Khok Takian hearing explosions directly to your south?

Sounds like the Thais are testing the Cambodian defences [ probing ] along that part of the border . Who knows why ? This is normally a pre curser to a larger attack /assault. :ph34r: Or they maybe live fire recording targets on the Cambodian side. Hahaha.

I'll remind you for the last time. No talk about specifics of troops, aircraft, or units operating in the area.

100% in agreement ! Take note >>>> "Loose lips sink ships"

Yes, don't want to unwittingly make someone's village a target.

I am sure that if Cambodia was smart. They would have a few diplomats as members of this site picking up all the raw intel all us guys are putting up here for them to read. :lol:

True, you find revisionists and nationalists in Thailand, but by far not that much or strong as in Cambodia.

In fact I don't know any Country where nationalism is higher than in Cambodia.

One day this WILL become a real war since the problem isn't going away. It grows stronger and Hun Sen supports the way full with every action, knowing that he has great support in the region.

The profession as warrior has more priority for him than some that could be used to make Cambodians economy stronger.

I wonder if Hun Sen's possible imminent passing will have any impact.

http://kimedia.wordp...as-lung-cancer/

If Hun Sen is sick it has a very big impact.

Hun Sen's son, Manet, was recently promoted to 2 star general and is also head of his father's personal bodyguard and the anti terrorism force. This conflict all along has been similar to the one one last year in the Koreas, the young heir apparent in command of a military force instigating a border conflict with their neighbor to gain military credentials. Hun Manet needs to gain credibility fighting the Thais in order to secure his position in the military, bolster his father's rule and prevent any threats to it, and secure his own position as heir. If Hun Sen is sick this all takes on added urgency. Hun Sen has ruled Cambodia since 1985 and plans to until his death, and he expects his son to take over after he passes, things could escalate to ensure that that comes to pass.

the day foreign troops arrive here.....is the day me...leaving the country

thais don't want it, thais don't like it......sooner or later it would backfire to farangs living in this wonderful country

Well in consideration of the following entry, when will you be leaving? :ph34r:

Wall Street Journal Asia

Excerpt from http://online.wsj.co...2654157574.html

201142441630782734_20.jpg

UN calls for Thai-Cambodia ceasefire

Ban Ki-moon appeals for restraint and dialogue, as fighting continues along disputed border for a third day.Last Modified: 24 Apr 2011 05:20Thousands of Cambodian villagers have been forced to flee the north-west province of Oudor Meanchey province [EPA]United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon has called on Cambodia and Thailand to halt fighting along their disputed jungle border as troops exchanged fire for a third day.

At least 10 soldiers have been killed and thousands of civilians forced to flee the area since fighting broke out on Friday, shattering a tense two-month ceasefire.

Suos Sothea, a Cambodian field commander, said the fighting on Sunday started at about 10:00am local time (0300 GMT) and both sides were firing mortars.

"What we can confirm is it involves artillery shell fire," he said.

A Thai official at the border also confirmed the resumption of hostilities and said "Cambodia opened fire first".

Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general, called on the neighbours to "exercise maximum restraint" and urged them to resolve the issue through "serious dialogue" rather than military means, according to a spokesperson on Saturday.

He urged the two neighbours to take immediate measures for an effective and verifiable ceasefire.

Six Cambodian troops and four Thai soldiers have been killed since clashes restarted on Friday.

Heavy shelling was clearly audible 20km away from the scene of the fighting on the Cambodian side, according to a photographer for the AFP news agency, as those evacuated from their homes took refuge in schools and temples away from the clash. for more ... http://english.aljaz...1733439734.html