Thaksin Urges Army To Stay Out Of Thai Politics

webfact

Thaksin urges army to stay out of Thai politics

BANGKOK, April 23, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's fugitive ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra Saturday urged the military not to meddle in politics and pledged allegiance to the throne as he outlined the opposition's election platform.

The former billionaire telecoms tycoon was ousted in a 2006 military coup and lives overseas to avoid a jail term imposed in absentia for corruption, but is widely seen as the de facto leader of the opposition Puea Thai party.

He called for a free and fair election in an address by video link to a Puea Thai party meeting.

"The military must not intervene to set up a government like last time when it formed a government in the barracks," added Thaksin, who said he was speaking from Dubai.

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote with the backing of the military, has said he expects a general election to be held by early July.

Thai society remains bitterly divided almost a year after more than 90 people died in street clashes between "Red Shirt" opposition protesters -- many of whom seek the return of Thaksin -- and armed troops in central Bangkok.

In remarks which appeared to be aimed mainly at the Red Shirt leaders, Thailand's army chief General Prayut Chan-O-Cha recently warned political figures to keep the revered monarchy out of the election debate.

He said that the military "will do its duty to protect the monarchy".

Prayut has pledged to abide by the results of the election and has brushed aside rumours of a military coup.

But that has not dampened speculation about possible military intervention in a country that has seen 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932.

Thaksin stressed his support for the Thai royal family, which has no official political role but is seen as a stabilising force in the kingdom.

"I want to reassure you that I am loyal to the monarchy, no matter what allegations they have tried to make against me," he said, adding that he agreed that the royal family should not be dragged into the election debate.

Thaksin said he was confident that Puea Thai would win the upcoming election, saying it would eradicate drug problems within a year and eradicate poverty in the next four years if elected.

Thaksin is hailed by many rural and working class Thais for his populist policies for the masses but loathed by the Bangkok-based elite, which sees him as corrupt, authoritarian and a threat to the revered monarchy.

Yingluck Shinawatra, a sister of the ousted ex-premier, has emerged as a possible opposition candidate for prime minister, but Thaksin did not reveal who he would be putting forward for the leadership.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-23

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is just laughable isnt it? eradicate the drug problem? eradicate poverty?, eradicate traffic problems? The only thing Shinawatra has eradicated are 90 people of varying levels of innocence last year and 2500 in his dictatorship supposed drug war. His own red shirt thugs have posted "Thaksin for President" stickers all over Sillom - God bless the least corrupt Government weve had in 30 years and god bless the Army for being the only force strong enough to allay this meglomaniacs lust for power - even if some of them are red shirts themselves.

Edited by Rimmer
Inappropriate text

A. It is amazing to me to read that Thaksin is responsible for 90 deaths in BKK. Generally, right-wing contributors blame him for the fires, but convoluted thinking abounds among Expats. Seems to me that there is another story possible, when we know the facts.

B. The army's chief has promised to stay out of the picture after the election, and we all know that such a high official's word is every bit as reliable as its history demonstrates.

A. It is amazing to me to read that Thaksin is responsible for 90 deaths in BKK. Generally, right-wing contributors blame him for the fires, but convoluted thinking abounds among Expats. Seems to me that there is another story possible, when we know the facts.

B. The army's chief has promised to stay out of the picture after the election, and we all know that such a high official's word is every bit as reliable as its history demonstrates.

The blame for the 90 deaths has to be shared by government and UDd / red-shirts. As red-shirt and PTP are interwoven, k. Thaksin is PTP, I guess k. Thaksin is also responsable.

K. Thaksin has stated time and time again to stay out of politics. He has stated 'not to know the red-shirts', etc., etc. Mind you, he isn't a high official, he's just a convicted criminal on the run.

(edit: add: this sticker just needs another face :ermm: )

post-58-0-35854300-1303551105_thumb.jpg

Edited by rubl

... yet his own political party contains hundreds who are from the army.

If Thaksin does succeed in regaining power he will stack the army with his own people who are loyal to him, further mixing politics with the army.

Other than his self imposed presence anywhere but Thailand in the past few years, Thaksin has done nothing to help bring about reconciliation in the LOS. This man telling the military to stay out of politics after his attempt to promote a cousin and various friends to positions of authority in the military when he was PM is laughable.

If his statement is in fact a true quote, "I want to reassure you that I am loyal to the monarchy, no matter what allegations they have attempted to make against me" this appears to be a real poor statement for the man to utter.

He does seem to exhibit some of the same characteristics as his promoters, he has a real knack for standing on one foot while the other is inserted in his bugle hole called a mouth.

I want to reassure you that I am loyal to the monarchy
What evidence is there that would support this statement from Thaksin?

To be fair, just like the military feel a need to say 'no coup', k. Thaksin may feel a similar need. For both don't ask me why ;)

I'm going to start smoking pot again if he becomes PM so that's proof he's all ready telling fibs

Thaksin said he was confident that Puea Thai would win the upcoming election, saying it would eradicate drug problems within a year and eradicate poverty in the next four years if elected.

I'm going to start drinking Lao Khao on daily basis if he becomes PM..........:jap:

... yet his own political party contains hundreds who are from the army.

If Thaksin does succeed in regaining power he will stack the army with his own people who are loyal to him, further mixing politics with the army.

Tomorrows headline.

Army urges Thaksin to stay out of Thai politics

Monday AM

I will if you will,

(said with fingers crossed behind back)

Edited by animatic

You expats all posting your exper opinions all the time should be aware that Thaksin also has an army of people watching your posts here and when he DOES get back in, your ip adresses shall get you all a free ticket back to your own countries and myself shush you all a farewell and don't let the door .........

I think Mr. T should be ordering you all to stay out of Thai politics although you all seem to think that YOU should all be running the country. I also think you should ALL keep quiet with your opinions regarding a Thai's statement (whether he is on the run or not) love for the Monarchy.

I hope you all get ousted when Mr. T does get back in for your anti Thaksin postings here.

You expats all posting your exper opinions all the time should be aware that Thaksin also has an army of people watching your posts here and when he DOES get back in, your ip adresses shall get you all a free ticket back to your own countries and myself shush you all a farewell and don't let the door .........

I think Mr. T should be ordering you all to stay out of Thai politics although you all seem to think that YOU should all be running the country. I also think you should ALL keep quiet with your opinions regarding a Thai's statement (whether he is on the run or not) love for the Monarchy.

I hope you all get ousted when Mr. T does get back in for your anti Thaksin postings here.

Don't worry, I'll be first one on the plane if it happens.

So do you think Thailand will be an oppressive dictatorship without any freedom of speech if Thaksin returns to power? Under the rule of Thaksin, oppression would seem more likely than full democracy. Why do people think Thaksin is pro-democracy? Just because he (and the red shirts) say so?

Edited by hyperdimension

:) In the past you have discussed blocked sites ..... talked about Thailand as "my country" .... stated you were Canadian .... and that you couldn't read Thai.

Fortunately, the chances of Thaksin ever returning to Thailand in a leadership role approaches zero. That you don't like people commenting about him suggests a lot to me. Your stance on MapTaP{hut tells a lot too :)

I didn't know I could get free plane tickets from my IP address, how can I do that?:D

This is just laughable isnt it? eradicate the drug problem? eradicate poverty?, eradicate traffic problems? The only thing Shinawatra has eradicated are 90 people of varying levels of innocence last year and 2500 in his dictatorship supposed drug war. His own red shirt thugs have posted "Thaksin for President" stickers all over Sillom - God bless the least corrupt Government weve had in 30 years and god bless the Army for being the only force strong enough to allay this meglomaniacs lust for power - even if some of them are red shirts themselves.

Yes. God bless.....but who's God are we talking of?

I'm utterly confused by this post. My hero just said "Today I'm ready to go home and serve the ppl. I will not take revenge; will only fix things." Who should I believe, k. Thaksin or member Yenoormit, or maybe none of them?

Impersonation of a fake red police officer? I recall one or two postings like this at the height of the May 2010 events when the reds thought they had the wind in their sales and they were doing things like intimidating people by forced searches on the Bangkok walkways and imposing the red version of 'law and order'.

As for the army staying out of politics what this translates as is 'we are considering going back on the streets and this time please would you step aside'. If there is one thing Thaksin does well it is talking out of both sides of his mouth at the same time. He knows and has known since 2006 when he blew his hand is that the army was the final piece of the jigsaw he did not have in place to secure his ownership of state power. He is not advocating the army staying out of politics. Silly. He is advocating the army staying out of (not opposing)his politics. His dirty politics. Now that's better. And even better would be if they were on his side (controlled by Thaksin's boys). Then the complaints would stop. Immediately.

As for the army staying out of politics what this translates

Rubbish. The Thai military have a long and proven history of interference in Thai Politics.

At the moment they are busy fighting a nationalist war on the border, and have stopped taking orders from this government, if they ever did in the first place. It is now becoming obviously embarrassing with even the FT today saying, "In a peace deal brokered by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations after that conflict, both sides agreed to stationing neutral observers on the border to ensure that there were no new clashes, but Thailand’s foreign ministry was overruled by the country’s powerful generals, who refused to consider the idea."

And people are still concerned with Thaksin. Laughable.

god bless the Army for being the only force strong enough to allay this meglomaniacs lust for power

17 coups and 19 constitutions in 70 years.

Thaksin, the only elected Thai PM to serve a full term and the only Thai PM to be re-elected.

Thaksin was an MP elected by the people, although I have to check if he was party list or constituency. He was elected PM by MP's which is according to law. k. Thaksin may also be the only ex-PM to have been convicted, jumped bail and living as fugitive still orders HIS party PTP around in a very democratic fashion. Today he promised not to take revenge and make all rich again in six months or so, free WIFI to help run up your bill for added-value services, etc., etc.

Edited by rubl