Ways To Obtain A Year Extension Visa

My father is in Thailand and has some financial and visa issues. Basically he has no money and has to keep on doing visa runs every month. I posted a thread before and got some good feedback. "best kind of visa for a brit"

1. Non immigrant visa allowing 90 day stay from Consulate (cost 2k baht).

2. Above plus 60 day extension of stay to visit wife for another 2k baht = 150 days.

3. Tourist visa 60 days for 1k baht followed by 60 day to visit wife extension for 2k baht.

4. Border crossing for new 15 day visa exempt (which seems to be what doing now) which is free except visa for other country and trip expense.

I was wondering if there may be another way around this though. Is there anyway I could make my father eligible for the one year stays if I (his son) were to open a bank account and deposit the 400K / 800k OR routinely put 40k a month into an account in my name? I do not have a lot of money but I have some. I do not trust my fathers Thai wife though and am worried that if i deposit that kind of money into an account that she can get her hands on then I might just kiss goodbye to my life's savings!

I do plan on buying a condo or something in Thailand (if finances permit) at some point in my life so would me having a bank account there benefit me for that also. I visit thailand about 3 times a year also. Is there anyway that me owning property in Thailand could improve my fathers visa situation?

Kind of clutching at straws here but once again any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Open a bank account in your father's name only. Transfer in 800K and season it for two months. Then he can be eligible for annual extensions based on retirement. Repeat every year. Assume he is over 50. With this plan he needs to start with a non-immigrant visa. He can get that (single entry O) in Laos or Malaysia or do a change of visa status from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa from SOME immigration offices in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

GOOD NEWS the bank account has to be in your fathers name only, so his wife would not be able to touch it. but then you can not either.....to my knowledge that is the only option he has. and it has to be in the bank 3 months before he can use it for his visa. some of the others here might know a lot more than me on this for sure....good luck

It is TWO MONTHS before the FIRST extension, and THREE MONTHS before subsequent extensions. That is correct, the bank account must be in Daddy's name ONLY.

BTW, Thai property ownership (yours or his) is irrelevant to his visa issues.

Edited by Jingthing

So what does a retirement visa require?

Yes he is married to a Thai lady; for the year visa when married he has to show that he has 400K right? Does that have to be in a joint account with his wife or can the relevant documents be his own bank account and marriage certificate

And the marriage option is currently two months for all (not just first as for retirement) but it is possible that will change when the next revision of the police order is made.

But marriage would have to involve wife and she would have to see that there is a lot more money around than she is currently aware of so not sure that would be a good option.

It is TWO MONTHS before the FIRST extension, and THREE MONTHS before subsequent extensions. That is correct, the bank account must be in Daddy's name ONLY.

As said before, it depends on the mood of the day.....Two Months for your first extension is in writing, BUT Three months in some cases for first timers ,,,,,In Korat office anyway

As said before, it depends on the mood of the day.....Two Months for your first extension is in writing, BUT Three months in some cases for first timers ,,,,,In Korat office anyway

There always may be some outlier offices but the official national rule is TWO MONTHS for first extension and that is widely enforced that way.