Mazda3

Tywais

I'm looking at buying a new car. My first choice is the Honda Accord but it bit too pricey for me. Don't like the Civic (too few features) nor the Toyota Altis (underpowered and can't find a good seating position). However did see the 2006 Honda Civic Coupe previewed and that is the one I really want. Seems it is the same as the Mazda6 (wanted this one) but no plans to be offered in Thailand.

Anyone have a Mazda3 or comments.

The Mazda 3 is a nice looking car - I can't afford a decent one though - so That's why I've got the top of the range Solluna. The mazda is exactly the same underneath as the Ford Focus - which is out in the next few months.

Had I known I could buy a Focus for virtually the same price as my Solluna I'd have waited. The Focus is going to be on special offer for the first couple of thousand units and is a total bargain - it's the best selling car in the UK by a mile. It's going to start at around 750,000 for the 1800c.

I hope that helps.

I test drone the 2.0L Mazda 3 at a motorshow a few months ago, quite impressive cars, nice power and features inside, sunroof, climate control etc. Only thing I didn't like is the stereo is built into the dash so no way to upgrade the stereo.

A bit pricy at a tad over 1 million Baht, but better than the Altis/Civic etc.

Had I known I could buy a Focus for virtually the same price as my Solluna I'd have waited.  The Focus is going to be on special offer for the first couple of thousand units and is a total bargain - it's the best selling car in the UK by a mile.  It's going to start at around 750,000 for the 1800c.

I hope that helps.

I've always been a Ford fan, all I ever owned back home. Last car I had was a Ford Probe 3.0 liter, a combination of Ford and Mazda - best of both worlds. I have been doing a little research on the Focus and since I am waiting until the first of next year to get a 2006 model will take a look.

Where did you read about the first few k of Focuses being discounted ?

The prices I've seen listed didn't state if they were for hatch or sedan version.

If you want a saloon I'd wait for the new civic 2006 model, if a hatch go with the Focus or Mazda3. As japan doesn't seem to be getting the new civic hatch I doubt thailand will either.

The Mazda 3 is a nice looking car - I can't afford a decent one though - so That's why I've got the top of the range Solluna.  The mazda is exactly the same underneath as the Ford Focus - which is out in the next few months. 

Had I known I could buy a Focus for virtually the same price as my Solluna I'd have waited.  The Focus is going to be on special offer for the first couple of thousand units and is a total bargain - it's the best selling car in the UK by a mile.  It's going to start at around 750,000 for the 1800c.

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The current prices for the Ford Focus are for the sedan. It is true that they are discounted, read it in the bangkok post and other places, but one of the reasons that the price is competitive is because the car can run on E20 (20% ethanol versions of gasahol), so it qualifies for a lower tax rate than other cars in this class.

Mazda 3 is a nice car. But I would wait for the Honda and at least take a look when it comes out. And since the Focus is based on the same platform as the Mazda, and should be cheaper, it would probably be a better option than the 3.

Anyway, there are some pictures of the interior of the 2006 Civic here, if you haven't seen them yet. It's nice: http://bkkautos.com/?q=node/28

Accord for me too... if I had the cash.

Edited by pal78

The current prices for the Ford Focus are for the sedan. It is true that they are discounted, read it in the bangkok post and other places, but one of the reasons that the price is competitive is because the car can run on E20 (20% ethanol versions of gasahol), so it qualifies for a lower tax rate than other cars in this class.

Mazda 3 is a nice car. But I would wait for the Honda and at least take a look when it comes out. And since the Focus is based on the same platform as the Mazda, and should be cheaper, it would probably be a better option than the 3.

Anyway, there are some pictures of the interior of the 2006 Civic here, if you haven't seen them yet. It's nice: http://bkkautos.com/?q=node/28

Accord for me too... if I had the cash.

Thanks for that link, very nice. The one thing that I will sorely miss from my current car is the HUD (heads up display) that displays the digital speed and engine checks onto the windscreen. Never have to look inside the cockpit and get distracted. Looks like the Civic will have a high up display that would give me the same effect. Plus I prefer the digital readout now that I have used one so long.

I had the previous version of the Mazda 3 1.6L (the 323) which i sold after 5 years use in June. Never had a problem, it is renowned for its driving / handling capabilities and often gets rated top in its class. If i hadn't bought a Fortuner (needed as a few additions to the family) we would have bought the Maz 3 without even test driving it thats how highly we rate the Maz 323.

I had the previous version of the Mazda 3 1.6L (the 323) which i sold after 5 years use in June. Never had a problem, it is renowned for its driving / handling capabilities and often gets rated top in its class. If i hadn't bought a Fortuner (needed as a few additions to the family) we would have bought the Maz 3 without even test driving it thats how highly we rate the Maz 323.

Thanks for the responses. Road handling is very important to me. So many reviews on cars like civic, accord, altis indicate they are soft. I currently have a Nissan Bluebird SSS 2-liter turbocharged and it is truly "one with the road". It handles and rides incredibily well, you feel in control with tight steering and minimal body roll. If I could get another one just like it, definitly would. But it is going on 13 years old and since it is an import, expensive to repair and get parts.

I test drone the 2.0L Mazda 3 at a motorshow a few months ago, quite impressive cars, nice power and features inside, sunroof, climate control etc. Only thing I didn't like is the stereo is built into the dash so no way to upgrade the stereo.

A bit pricy at a tad over 1 million Baht, but better than the Altis/Civic etc.

Thats the car I'm wanting, nice!

What is true in other countries is not always the same here. We don't get the same specs as the rest of the world, and so Mazda3 has got the least powerful engines in its class, at least comparing to Toyota and Honda (their 1.8l/1.7l are nearly the same as Mazda's 2.0l), and Mazda's 1.6l is no match for 1.6l Altis, or even 1.5l Vios or City/Jazz.

1.8l Altis cost 150k less than 2.0l Mazda and is more spacious and luxirious by Thai standards, and easily outruns any car on the road.

There are reasons why Toyotas outsell any other makes in Thailand and Mazdas are always in the red.

1.8l Altis cost 150k less than 2.0l Mazda and is more spacious and luxirious by Thai standards, and easily outruns any car on the road.

:o:D

Must be a Toyota rep.

Not at all - surely you have seen them on highways - its always the 10 yr old Toyota Corolla that is wizzing past you either on the inside lane, or if thats busy, on the hard shoulder then jumping into the fast lane just to get around another car. Nobody else seems to do that except Corolla's and the odd Honda City with "go faster" stripes, enlarged exhaust and a 200,000 baht stereo that costs more than the car. Strangely enough, you rarely see a decent car attempting these manouvers.

If you want a "driver's car", get a Ford Laser Tierra RS.

I've got one... and it's a bewdy. :D

If you want a driver's car get a BMW 330i. Around 2.5 million these days for a 2002/3ish model. Fabulous cars.

The Ford is under 1 million baht... :o

The Ford is under 1 million baht...  :o

I couldn't find the specs for the RS version on the website. Wondering what the difference is between it and the standard. Assume RS is Rally Sport?

Was just at Central Shopping Center in Chiangmai. There was a black BMW 320i. Looked fantastic on the outside but the inside seemed so plain. 2.5M baht :D

Also, Chevrolet had cars on display there. The OPTRA, which I am not interested in but they had a large sedan (don't remember the labeling). They said it was imported from Australia and was 1.99M Baht. It was really pimped out with all electronic everything and center LCD display. What impressed me was that it came with a 3.8 liter V6 engine :D

However never liked Chevrolets. All I ever ownned back home was Fords. Last car was a Ford Probe - 3.0 liter. Half Mazda, half Ford. Wish I had it here.

I couldn't find the specs for the RS version on the website. Wondering what the difference is between it and the standard. Assume RS is Rally Sport?

Was just at Central Shopping Center in Chiangmai. There was a black BMW 320i. Looked fantastic on the outside but the inside seemed so plain. 2.5M baht :D

Also, Chevrolet had cars on display there. The OPTRA, which I am not interested in but they had a large sedan (don't remember the labeling). They said it was imported from Australia and was 1.99M Baht. It was really pimped out with all electronic everything and center LCD display. What impressed me was that it came with a 3.8 liter V6 engine :D

However never liked Chevrolets. All I ever owned back home were Fords. Last car was a Ford Probe - 3.0 liter. Half Mazda, half Ford. Wish I had it here.

However never liked Chevrolets. All I ever owned back home were Fords. Last car was a Ford Probe - 3.0 liter. Half Mazda, half Ford. Wish I had it here.

Yes, RS is for Rally Sport. 2 Litres... and she does drive very well.

Try this website.

It's in Thai though... :D

I also had a Probe once... one of the nicest cars I've ever owned.

:D

Edited by Jai Dee

I couldn't find the specs for the RS version on the website.

Ford & Mazda have pretty much the worst websites in Thailand. They must have been designed by an idiot who have never actually tried to navigate through the website he made. Also Mazda still show the 323 on their site, but minimal reference to the Mazda 3. Try and find which of the Mazda 3 models is a sedan or a hatchback and you are doing better than me.

Also as someone else has said the Chevrolet you are talking about is a Holden Commodore (Holden is owned by GM) and is a very nice car. Its such a low price because its imported under the free trade agreement between Thailand & Australia.

I would wait for the Focus, and have a look at it. The Laser is out a long time now.

None of the Chevrolets in Thailand are actually Chevrolets. Just re-bagged cars from other makers. The Colorado is a Isuzu D-Max, the Optra is a Daywoo, and the big v6 you're talking about is a holden. In my opinion they are all good, but in the case of the Colorado, I'd go for the Isuzu because it's cheaper. And the Optra while okay, is not as good as rivals. I drive the Optra at the moment, and I like the handling of the car, and it is okay on the road, but it's not brilliant or anything. I wouldn't recommend buying a new one, but you might want to check the second hand market. I have seen a 2005 Optra in one of those big weekly car ads papers for 500,000 baht! And 2003-2005 models can be got well below that already. If you are planning to hang onto the car for a while, and don't care that the price will likely continue to drop off fast, it might be worth a look.

But new.... Japanese cars keep their value very well here.

The Toyota Avanza has as many seats. I saw one the other day carrying 9 people!! You didn't need to buy the Fortuner.

I have also heard very good things about the reliability of the 323. A friend on mine has a 7 year old and it runs like new, and he claims that he never had to do anything to it beyond regular servicing.

the top spec Focus on offer here now is the 1.8 ghia which is 898,000

but was told it's going up another 40,000 baht at the end of this month

I have thought about buying a focus for her indoors but cant help but feel you will get stung when you want to sell it. No matter how good Fords are, there values plummet here as soon as they are driven out of the showroom. As an example a Ford laser after about 3 years is worth about 100,000-150,000k less than the Mazda 323. However apart from the badges they are the same car. To buy new they cost pretty much the same, but you really see it when you come to sell. Perception is that maintenance is expensive which affects residuals to Thai buyers. Reality is somewhat different but when has that ever been important in Thailand :o

Also the pricing strategy is a neat one by Ford - the Focus at the prices they are charging now are comparible with Toyota & Honda, perhaps marginally cheaper however I suspect they are doing this for two reasons:

a) Be able to say they have sold XXX many of the new model as soon as it goes on sale

:D try and steal some potential Honda Civic buyers when the new Civic comes out in the next couple of weeks/months.

Cant fault the Ford approach, but they are really poor at countering the arguement of crap residuals, but that is not unique to Ford Thailand - its the case in almost every market they operate. For that reason, I will not be buying a focus, despite thinking its actually the best car in its class.

the top spec Focus on offer here now is the 1.8 ghia which is 898,000

but was told it's going up another 40,000 baht at the end of this month

I have thought about buying a focus for her indoors but cant help but feel you will get stung when you want to sell it. No matter how good Fords are, there values plummet here as soon as they are driven out of the showroom. As an example a Ford laser after about 3 years is worth about 100,000-150,000k less than the Mazda 323. However apart from the badges they are the same car.

As posted earlier i sold my 5 yr old Maz 323, in very good condition, we actually got Baht 450k which was ok. I've just remembered another major factor behind our initial decision to opt for a Maz 323, is that the back seat drops flat and the passenger seat drops flat which allowed us to get out mountain bikes easily in to the boot - don't think any other car in its category has that very useful feature.

Someone called me a Toyota rep. With all that soft sell for Mazda I should be excused, really. OP asked for an opinion, and I gave mine. And I just wrote that because someone said "Toyotas and Hondas are underpowered". Total bull.

2.0 Honda Civic has 155hp, Toyota's 2.0l engine produces 150 hp, and 2.0 Mazda/Focus - measly 141 hp, even new 1.8l Civic will have 144 hp.

As for "outrun any other car" - think of Thai taxis, they are mostly Toyotas, have you ever heard someone complaining that his taxi was underpowered, couldn't overtake, or was slow and bulky at changing lanes and squeezing into spaces? I think not. 1.8l Altis has 30% more power than that taxi.

I just think Toyotas and Hondas get a bad rap when, in fact, they are the best cars here. Here, in Thailand, where Mazda doesn't offer 2.3l engine, and Ford sells hardly a dozen cars a month, and Chevrolet is a some Korean failure in disguise.

And what's with that Mazda waiting list? It was understandable when Mazda3 was just out, but now they had this model for year, and it doesn't sell that well, I doubt they reached 10,000 mark. What's their production capacity? Is it actually imported from Philippines, like Escape and Tribute?

It is actually a good looking car, and in basic 1.6l form is a nice change for an eye, but buying it for performance? Not worth paying over a million, if you ask me.

Ford's pricing is interesting - but they will run into tax troubles very fast - they claim lower tax because Focus is gasohol20 compliant, but of course there's no such thing as gasohol20 in Thailand yet, and I doubt that the authorities will let Ford get away with lower taxes for long. I read that it's only for the the first batch of cars.

It's not the first time Ford got in the tax arguments - remember when they introduced "rear access panel" in their pickups but the government said it was a door and as a double door pickups they have to pay higher taxes. Actually we, the buyers, have to pay higher taxes.

Anyhow, there's a real chance of getting the new Focus really cheap.