Trucks Capable Of Lpg Or Ngv

jsgatse

A friend recently had his petrol engine vehicle converted to all so run on LPG , the conversion shop owner said that he was getting more customers wanting to change their fairly new vehicles that had a manufactures CNG system fitted , to an after market LPG system .

So why would any one have their fairly new vehicle changed from CNG to LPG , whats so wrong with CNG , Ive asked a few Thai people and they just say no good , can go boom .b1-3.gif

And surely changing a CNG vehicle that's still under the manufactures guarantee to LPG , will only make the manufactures engine guarantee void an useless.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really surprised at the number of Tata NGV trucks on the roads. I have no idea of the size of the NGV tank or the economy. I do know that NGV tanks are sized in liters and NG is sold by the KG. That is why there is so much confusion. As mentioned before, KG capacity of any tank varies by the pressure used at the station.

I think I would be much more comfortable with the MUCH lower pressure LPG tank than the high pressure NG tank.

From what I read, the Aussies have perfected the diesel LPG mixing and the increase in power and economy is impressive. Most systems consider a 30% LPG and 70% diesel mixture as optimal. The system involves some machining on the cylinder head and the rest of the injection system is also not cheap. That's why it is not commonly used in small trucks.

If you have a Tata NGV with extra tanks in the bed in Surat Thani you can still not go 280km to Phuket, as there is no fuel to go back to Surat

is this still accurate information?

it would be a shame if it is.

Last week I drove Chiang Mai to Phuket

1700 km All went smoothly never a wait and could get CNG any time I needed 24 hours a day

Fuel cost to Phuket with my Mitsubishi Triton carrying a load was only 1650 Bt.

However when I got there and needed filling I was told over and over again go here or there and never could find it. On Google maps a search showed nothing Surat Thaini was the last fuel spot. So I used gasohol to return to Surat Thani and from there back again had no trouble.

Saved over 8000 bt if I had to use gas and 5300 over using diesel

...so LPG doesn't go BOOM whistling.gif ??!!

Hope somebody could point the difference...I don't think there is any...smile.png

I think their concern was about the safety of CNG compared to LPG .

There definitely is a difference, but it would be hard to find one more dangerous then the other.

Both lpg and cng in the case of an accident are at least as safe or even safer then petrol due to the very strong construction.

Lpg is heavier then air so in the case of a leak it pools on the ground creating explosion danger.

Cng is lighter then air, so outside it'll just disappear into the air...

In a closed area both are equally dangerous, hence in most countries they are not allowed into covered car parks.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks to all thus far. I was told that you could only add LPG to a truck that has a Benzine engine, is that correct?

No, Either LPG or CNG works on a Benzine Engine

I was at the Toyota dealership yesterday and they were pitching a Vigo Double Cab with CNG installed by the dealership. They told me it takes 170 liters of CNG and that will enable it to go 300 kms. At about 9 THB per liter for CNG that's 1,500 more or less, to fill up, with a cost of 5 THB per KM. That seems wrong, doesn't it?

On CNG tanks you can only get about 20% use of volume. My 100 liter tank on my Triton is full at 20 liters and about 200Bt. I can go 200 -260km on that fill up

THe thing I liked was that for the Toyota, they put 3 CNG tanks under the bed, so you don't lose any space. On the Mitsu Triton, they put the tank in the back of the bed, so you lose a bunch of space.

You can get the tanks installed under or in the bed. Under you lose the spare tire

Anyone have experience with the Toytoa Vigo CNG?

Thanks

I have seen numerous shops selling+fitting LPG aftermarket. Prices start around 30K Baht, but the few I've stopped at all failed to impress- the whole procedure seemed a little too simplistic and generic, and tuning is done by screwdriver with zero diagnostics.

Even if a good kit could be found, you've still voided all warranty, and can no longer park in undercover carparks. Still, the extra HP would be nice... smile.gif

Kits now days are plug and play. With all the electronics on a car these days tey simply hook in the nw computer, No messing around with a screw driver. That went out with the carberator

Does Mitsu make the CNG for the double cab (4 door)? Yes

only pickup with underneath tank installation is Tata, under a flatbed, and rather short range, and CNG only, IOW no petrol backup if CNG sold out at pump

The Tata has the longest range of any avalable from the factory

And I guess the new truckat my local Toyota dealer with the tanks under the bed doesn'tcount ? And you can specail order the Triton there

For CNG be aware only parts of the country has CNG pumps, Google Ptt NGV to find pump charts. Going from Surathani to Phuket and back is impossible with CNG only, unless you have several huge tanks, IOW range of 700 km.

700 KM ???

Last week I drove the 220 km from the NGV station just out side Surat Thani to Phuket with no problems. I have a 100 liter tank that they can fill with 20 liters. I get 13 kpl. Yes I had to use gasohal for the 220 km back but had no problems from there to Chaing mai using CNG.

Yes it is true in some remote areas you will not find one of the 479 NGV stations, But more are under construction and most normal routes have them avalabe

There simply is no lower cost way to travel with 4 wheels

Triton CNG managed ~9km/l on gasohol 91 (E10) - not tested on E20.I get 9 kpl city and 12 highway for Gasohol 91 With CNG I get 1 Highway average over the last 40,000 km on my Triton

Not me - I said that VIGO was not available with factory CNG. We don't do any testing on aftermarket mods..

If toytoa CNG is not avalable from the factory, why is there new trucks at my local dealer and it talks about it on their web site ?

Believe it or not, things change in over a year, e.g. locations of pumps and car models.

Oh, do you expect an answer from people who are indisposed already for over a year?

Edited by stevenl

CNG has been government subsidsed for transport use since 2002, and locked at 8.50Baht/KG since 2005.

They have started to tax NGV and now it is up to 10.50 bt. per kg

NGV cars have had a special excise tax for the same period, while no special treatment for LPG.

CNG is domestically produced, My understanding is only about 20% is produced here and the extra comes from Malaysia and Austraila

LPG production is supplemented by imports. BKK municipal buses have almost all been coverted to CNG. Largest transport companies in the Kingdom run their artics on CNG.Yes due to the huge savings

All taxies run on CNG. A few years back they had a program for those who converted, but no, not all taxies are CNG

Several manufacturers make CNG powered vehicles (Toyota, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, Proton, TATA, M Benz, no manufacters make an LPG powered vehicle.except Suzuki on their carry and DMF on their truck and vans

NGV station network is growing (some stations were shut down for a while in 2009 for pump upgrades, but that was temporary).$79 and growning every week

I'd say it's pretty cleat that CNG (NGV) is here to stay wink.gif

Actually, I should have just stopped at taxis - they alone guarantee there'll be no rash changes to CNG policies wink.gif

This caught my eye , my Thai reading ability is not that great , but I think the advert is saying

Factory fitted LPG system

2 LPG tanks where the spare wheel was

can fill up the two LPG tanks and drive 700Km

Vehicle is only 4 months old.

I thought the Triton only came from the factory with CNG ?

Or may be I'm reading it all wrong smile.png

zx2o.png

zx1.png

http://www.taladrod....aspx?cib=916246