How Much You Pay For Sin Sod?

upinthesky

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid zero baht. Don't be a sucker.

Yet I don't know anyone who has never paid or shown SinSot, then again, we are probably talking about a different class of people.

Bill from Bradford who met the delightful Ba from Buriram during his 2 week holiday in Pattaya would have a totally different attitude to a guy that has lived here full time for 20 years and didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel.

SinSot is traditional, to show you can take care of the daughter, the fact that many Farangs meet their partners in bars and are resentful, bitter and twisted for the rest of their lives is neither here nor there.

( And they do, where else would old ineligible western men meet young Thai women who have Tattoos and kids, can drink them under the table and would thrash Jimmy White at Pool ? ) ph34r.gif

I showed 500K and got it back, whats the problem ?

I'm content, how about you ? smile.gif

Yes, yes we got your point on your first post. Yours is different. No need to rub it in dear. Not classy.

Get yourself fixed up with an orphan. rolleyes.gif

Ne'er as truer word! I dated one way back between wives and never really appreciated at the time what a keeper she truly was. Parent's both died when she was a kid, no siblings and the grandma that brought her up had also popped her clogs. Thought Thai's were parochial, narrow-minded and bigoted, wasn't at all keen on the sycophantic regal piety of it all and barely tolerated Buddhism. Great tits too. Unfortunately, she's an Aussie now.

Oh well.

Yet I don't know anyone who has never paid or shown SinSot, then again, we are probably talking about a different class of people.

Bill from Bradford who met the delightful Ba from Buriram during his 2 week holiday in Pattaya would have a totally different attitude to a guy that has lived here full time for 20 years and didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel.

SinSot is traditional, to show you can take care of the daughter, the fact that many Farangs meet their partners in bars and are resentful, bitter and twisted for the rest of their lives is neither here nor there.

( And they do, where else would old ineligible western men meet young Thai women who have Tattoos and kids, can drink them under the table and would thrash Jimmy White at Pool ? ) ph34r.gif

Yes, yes we got your point on your first post. Yours is different. No need to rub it in dear. Not classy.

Like I said, resentful, bitter and twisted, thanks for the support. smile.gif

Edited by MrsMills

Sin Sod is something that many Thai families take very seriously

and some Thai families feel you would be showing disrespect

if you do not pay sin sod.

Al lot of it is also for show. as part of the Thai marriage ceremony

they make a big todo of making sure everyone at the ceremony

sees the money and gold being handed over.

some families expect and want it, some do not want it. A lot depends

on the family. Some families see it as a way to determine if you can

afford to take care of their daughter or not. So see it as a cash grab

and some see it as a sign of respect.

Me, I would not pay it

If you are willing to pay it, the obvious thing to do is negotiate

downward. You can also suggest you are willing to hand over a money

during the ceremony so they can save face.

Other believe the amount given is based on who you are marrying.

Her background - job education and place in society, does she have kids already.

If she is the daughter of a farmer that has no money and they ask for a million ..

well they just see you as a cash cow

Remember if you hand over large amounts fo money ... they will expect you

to keep doing so ... forever ..................

If you feel sin sod is wring - stand your ground and do not pay

If you feel you should, pay what you feel is right

I paid 500,000 Baht, its normal for a quality guy marrying a quality girl.

Many here won't have had that opportunity, so they pay nothing, then again, the girls they meet are just happy to get anyone, and thats a fact, anyone will do, and I mean anyone, just take a look around any Isaan Tesco Lotus, you'll see what I mean, hardly matches made in heaven are they ?

If you marry into a good Family, Sinsot will be shown, its all about show, I've been to Thai weddings and up to 2 million Baht has been shown, again its quality with quality, and its normal and I don't know anyone who has never shown it.

Most Farangs are never in the position of marrying quality, they'll marry a girl who they feel they are rescuing from a bar, hence why should they pay, I understand that, then again, when you have lived here for a couple of decades you'll leave that up to the tourists and no hopers.

I received my 500,000 Back from the family, so what difference does it make ?

Of course, meeting Noi from Nakhon Nowhere in a Beer Bar in Pattaya and giving her family 500,000 Baht may bring different results.

My Wifes younger Sister won't be going anywhere until at least 500,000 is shown, I've offered 450.000 and was turned down flat !! smile.gif

Yes very classy girl.

Wow so many very happy people on here so smug thinking they have it so good because they didn't pay. They must feel so special about themselves.

Discuss it with the family, if you consider it too high then just tell the prospective missus what you think you should pay, if anything. In the end, up to you.

Sin Sod isn't just something to rip off farangs. Thais do pay as well.

We know. I heard a story about a thai guy who married the shopkeepers ugly daughter. She forked up the 200k herself just to get him to show up. He thought he could take that sweet 200k and do an easy runner later.

He is now kept on a short leash manning the store. But all thai sin sod stories are happy traditional ones, i forget.

Like I said, resentful, bitter and twisted, thanks for the support. smile.gif

Seems as if you have an overwhelming desire to convince other posters that you married a high class girl.

It might be traditional to show sin sod, but it certainly doesn't happen in every case when a Westerner (or a Thai man for that matter) marries a Thai girl from what you might describe as the upper classes. To be perfectly frank, for those that do pay sin sod, half a million baht wouldn't cut it in the upper echelons of Thai society anyway.

Edited by inthepink

If I remember the right amount, it was about 40 Baht at the Amphur. :rolleyes:

Edit. If you pay more than this, you are on for a ride. :whistling:

40 Baht seems a bit steep. Could you not have negotiated that down?

Personally, I think 10 Baht is a fair price; 20 Baht is expensive; and anything higher is pure extortion.

If you marry into a good Family, Sinsot will be shown, its all about show, I've been to Thai weddings and up to 2 million Baht has been shown, again its quality with quality, and its normal and I don't know anyone who has never shown it.

Since when is Show-Show the most important item in life? :sick:

Really rich and/or intelligent people don't need to show anything :whistling:

I know what you mean. Grand, lavish weddings are rather passe in the west, aren't they? I'm sure William and Kate are planning a small little get-together on the back porch of Uncle Jonas' cabin, a bring-your-own-booze sort of unpretentious gathering.

I am on my 2nd Thai wife. The first told me at the last minute i had to pay sinsod and i stumped up 500k. I was with her for over a year before we were married. As soon as we tied the knot she showed her true colours. I know i was a mug, but just like most others in that situation, i ignored too many warning signs because i thought i had found someone really special.

This marriage my wife said she did not want a sinsod to show she was not like the past wife. We have been together nearly 3 years and feel the same about each other as we did after being together a month.

In my opinion, Sinsod is one of many Thai traditions that belongs in the past and is stopping Thailand stepping into the modern world.

Many here won't have had that opportunity, so they pay nothing, then again, the girls they meet are just happy to get anyone, and thats a fact, anyone will do, and I mean anyone, just take a look around any Isaan Tesco Lotus, you'll see what I mean, hardly matches made in heaven are they ?

Most Farangs are never in the position of marrying quality, they'll marry a girl who they feel they are rescuing from a bar, hence why should they pay, I understand that, then again, when you have lived here for a couple of decades you'll leave that up to the tourists and no hopers.

If your wife acts anything like you, I wouldn't advise coming around my neighborhood anytime for fear that my mother-in-law might kick the shit out of your classy wife.

Geez, what a pompous, arrogant attitude to have...

I think I paid 60k ฿. Our niece just married some 22 yr old kid and he paid 40k. Funny. We both borrowed 4baht of gold from the same BIL.

I'm no where in the quality=quality mode that some see themselves in.

I married a small flat footed, black skinned sanook machine.

Edited by mstribling

I dont consider myself ugly nor good looking and I am a quality guy and I usually meet and date quality women so I would say two quality people is even so no need to buy or support a quality woman cause she has her income and her being so called "quality" would mean she has educated parents who make their own income so no need to buy them off. Maybe some do date quality but then why does he have to give money? what does quality mean ? To me quality means coming into the relationship with good intentions. BR

Sin Sot...paid by me = Zero

Although based in tradition, it is also used to extort large quantites of cash from unsuspecting farangs in the name of tradtion.....:rolleyes:

While discussing your impending sin sot with your teeraks family be sure to mention the western tradtion of the brides family paying for everything for the wedding....you may find a compromise is forthcoming....;)

Good one! My brother got married to a nice girl and her family paid for all of the wedding and the honeymoon. BR

If your wife acts anything like you, I wouldn't advise coming around my neighborhood anytime for fear that my mother-in-law might kick the shit out of your classy wife.

Perhaps I can translate Mrs Mills' post more delicately so as not to offend some of the more sensitive posters.

> B500,000, Normal for a 'Quality Guy' marrying a 'Quality Woman' erm... wow... That statement alone is surely a wind up. A quality guy??? come on, a quality guy might be slightly more tactful and eloquent. I suspect Mrs Mills means of similar socio-economic status.

> Most here wont have had that opportunity: An Unfortunate Generalization: but even my Thai friends ask why and how so many westerners end up with girls so obviously with him only for money.

> If you marry into a good Family... i.e. The Girl and Family can support themselves to and / or beyond your own means. She is not a bar girl and not half your age.

Unfortunately what Mrs Mills writes although somewhat controversial is rather accurate as we live in a society that is currently at a general level of maturity that has not developed beyond show. In Thai Society (and many others) some one's worth is measured by their wealth (disagree? one word - Forbes)...

What many on this forum are alluding to is that their lady regardless of wealth (and sometimes education) is worthy and this worthiness comes regardless of Sin-Sod. Someone who has paid B500k or 2MB Sin-Sod did not necessary marry a better woman. After all, prices could be inflated ;-) but this 'measure of quality' although rather tasteless in western opinion is measured from a bench mark by which the value of pretty much everything else is measured: Money.... But ever heard the phrase "Knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing" ?............

This subject is so individual no one is correct:

I disagree with the posters who say. "Don't pay, you are getting taken for a ride" - This might suggest more about their own experience and inflexibility towards other cultures than anything else.

I agree that the best situation to be in is for those folk who have paid sin-sod and had the money returned. This shows a level of mutual respect on both sides which I believe must be present for a harmonious future.

Perhaps I can translate Mrs Mills' post more delicately so as not to offend some of the more sensitive posters.

> B500,000, Normal for a 'Quality Guy' marrying a 'Quality Woman' erm... wow... That statement alone is surely a wind up. A quality guy??? come on, a quality guy might be slightly more tactful and eloquent. I suspect Mrs Mills means of similar socio-economic status.

> Most here wont have had that opportunity: An Unfortunate Generalization: but even my Thai friends ask why and how so many westerners end up with girls so obviously with him only for money.

> If you marry into a good Family... i.e. The Girl and Family can support themselves to and / or beyond your own means. She is not a bar girl and not half your age.

Unfortunately what Mrs Mills writes although somewhat controversial is rather accurate as we live in a society that is currently at a general level of maturity that has not developed beyond show. In Thai Society (and many others) some one's worth is measured by their wealth (disagree? one word - Forbes)...

What many on this forum are alluding to is that their lady regardless of wealth (and sometimes education) is worthy and this worthiness comes regardless of Sin-Sod. Someone who has paid B500k or 2MB Sin-Sod did not necessary marry a better woman. After all, prices could be inflated ;-) but this 'measure of quality' although rather tasteless in western opinion is measured from a bench mark by which the value of pretty much everything else is measured: Money.... But ever heard the phrase "Knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing" ?............

This subject is so individual no one is correct:

I disagree with the posters who say. "Don't pay, you are getting taken for a ride" - This might suggest more about their own experience and inflexibility towards other cultures than anything else.

I agree that the best situation to be in is for those folk who have paid sin-sod and had the money returned. This shows a level of mutual respect on both sides which I believe must be present for a harmonious future.

I enjoyed your views and the way you wrote it down. BR

Perfect answer....;) ....people with real class dont talk about money....:jap:

Perfect answer....;) ....people with real class dont talk about money....:jap:

Mind if I edit ?

People with real class don't talk about money with those who don't have it; class or money !

Wouldn't listen to Mills

He is either on a wind up or seemingly so desperate to defend his own actions that he looks down upon people who don't do exactly the same as he. People who are truly happy rarely need to continually justify their actions, and criticise the life of others, as he does in a very large percentage of his posts

Sin-sod? didn't pay a penny. Mrs. Rakers become an Orphan just weeks before we married, but we were specifically told before then that sin-sod was not wanted. Her mum just wanted to know I was a good guy, nothing more.

LOL. My girlfriend is currently under great pressure from 'mother' to marry me. Mother believes I have had enough 'shaggy, shaggy' for 'free'. For free?? That is a laugh, but never mind.

I got the woman of my life to ask mother today, 'How Much?'

100 guests in a restaurant + flowers + clothes for the day (amounts to about 60k Baht).

Not one but two lots of sin sot required. :blink:

One lot for show to be given back to me and one lot to be given to the mother who would then give it to the daughter. The daughter would then put that money in her own bank.

No. Never. Zilch chance of that ever happening :rolleyes:

Previously married. 1 child. 1 sin sot paid on her first marriage. Why pay again?? (greed / security).

At least I have been given 1 years notice so I have time to argue this point but I will not start paying through the nose and do not expect anyone else to do so.

Weigh up the circumstances, OP and do what you feel comfortable with and do not bow to the pressure.

If I remember the right amount, it was about 40 Baht at the Amphur. :rolleyes:

Edit. If you pay more than this, you are on for a ride. :whistling:

40 Baht seems a bit steep. Could you not have negotiated that down?

Personally, I think 10 Baht is a fair price; 20 Baht is expensive; and anything higher is pure extortion.

Nah, they had to make copies of some papers. So I think it was a bargain. :D