Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

Beetlejuice

I think that Winnie pretty much nailed it with his last comments. Loh Kroh is a small section of Chiang Mai that provides a bit of short time amusement for those looking to spend a few hours drinking, chatting or flirting. You can be married or single and nobody cares.There is no obligation to take anyone home and it's perfectly acceptible to bring a woman (Thai or foreigner) with you. You can play a few games of pool with one of the customers or staff and call it a night, or watch the sports on the pub's TV. I do it all the time and don't even spend that much money. If I had a bar like that in Canada I'd be a millionare within a year. Of course, it would never work in Canada because the staff would all disappear in a week.

Posted Today, 09:14

I would not miss LK or any of the girlie bars there, if it was ever shut down.

Hundreds maybe thousands of bars in and around Chiang Mai and at half the price and nicer girls.

I just don't get the attraction to LK.

are you taking about the night clubs with the young thai set, who could care less to talk to farang older guys. if not where are these bars, give some names and locals please

If you are an ex-pat living here then why not go to an area where the locals go and meet some much nicer (and younger and more attractive) girls? I'm not talking about Warm Up, Fabrique or places like that.

and where would that be?

WTK answered that well with Santitham. Packed full of local places to go. Also heading east from Santitham around Rajaphat university all the way to JJ market, Hulamphong etc. There's also Suan Luang (SP?) which is very popular now.

I find these days a trip to the Loi Kroh/Thapae area is becoming more of a rarity, accompanied with that "get me outta here" feeling when ever I do venture out.

The bars on LK Road are no more "seedy" than any of the similar bars in Samui or Pattaya. Sure, there are areas or bars that up their standard some, but let's face it, they're all much of a muchness.

If you are seriously saying that you would not miss those LK Road bars if they were gone, then it can be inferred that you'd not miss any of the similar bars across the nation if they were gone.

If they were the only choice for bars at all, I might think about that proposition, but the fact is that if you don't like the bars on LK Road or the girls are not pretty enough for you, don't go there. That area is pretty small anyway, and it is super easy to miss it altogether.

I think as a cultural icon, that area is worth keeping, however you feel about the nature of the businesses there. The Land of Smiles without a few pockets of skank? Good grief, what next? Outlawing fireworks? :) <---- lively!

Loy Kroh would be the last on my list.

If you are an ex-pat living here then why not go to an area where the locals go and meet some much nicer (and younger and more attractive) girls? I'm not talking about Warm Up, Fabrique or places like that........

so what are you talking about then and why haven't you already ?

• Like 1

If you are an ex-pat living here then why not go to an area where the locals go and meet some much nicer (and younger and more attractive) girls? I'm not talking about Warm Up, Fabrique or places like that........

yes I am awaiting the answer too

Seek and ye shall find biggrin.png

Seek and ye shall find biggrin.png

I know - but maybe he knows something beyond the 'Santinam' and 'xmas tree light' bars that have been mentioned - so in his case it should be

'talk and reveal' rather than 'seek and find'

It'd be pretty pointless to recommend a single place; they're everywhere. So just go explore.

I keep hearing about these mythical establishments that are apparently everywhere but no one seems able to tell us exactly where they located, or the names of these places?

Here is a wonderful business opportunity for some of you guys supposively in the know. Why not become a guide (for a fee) and show the way to those that apparently are not adventurous enough or considered too lazy to go seeking for themselves?

I’m sure there would be many and enthusiastic fun seekers willing to take advantage of the guides knowledge and expertise.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

It'd be pretty pointless to recommend a single place; they're everywhere. So just go explore.

I keep hearing about these mythical establishments that are apparently everywhere but no one seems able to tell us exactly where they located, or the names of these places?

Here is a wonderful business opportunity for some of you guys supposively in the know. Why not become a guide (for a fee) and show the way to those that apparently are not adventurous enough or considered too lazy to go seeking for themselves?

I’m sure there would be many and enthusiastic fun seekers willing to take advantage of the guides knowledge and expertise.

Yes! Or dont post about 'other places' which implies there are places that are unknown to most of us - then dont tell us where they are! I think i know just about everywhere but am willing to learn that there 'maybe' other places - so tell us :)

Yes! Or dont post about 'other places' which implies there are places that are unknown to most of us - then dont tell us where they are! I think i know just about everywhere but am willing to learn that there 'maybe' other places - so tell us smile.png

They are the small Thai restaurants that are lit up with christmas lights. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE

Learn some basic Thai, drive down any street, and poke your head in

Yes! Or dont post about 'other places' which implies there are places that are unknown to most of us - then dont tell us where they are! I think i know just about everywhere but am willing to learn that there 'maybe' other places - so tell us smile.png

They are the small Thai restaurants that are lit up with christmas lights. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE

I have been to many small xmas tree light bars and have yet to find one that was not 'local lads only feeling'.

So I remain open to knowing EXACTLY where these bars are with this 'new talent' that I, allegedly, am missing out on! saying 'EVERYWHERE' is unhelpful

Is there is fairy sitting on top of these Christmas lights? Because I believe in them as well.

This is something like believing in a particular religion or having blind faith. The almighty is everywhere, but no one can see him.

Take a leisurely stroll around Santitam, NSEW, for a couple of hours or so.

If you don't find something to your liking......then join the chess club.biggrin.png

well I did want to get 'mated' but wasn't think Chess cowboy.gif

I heard that in some of these places there is always a queen who moves in every direction and goes all ways.

Think we can call this a stalemate. It`s all total crap and for those who suggest that if I don`t like it here and should go back to where I came from, no, I`m staying just to spite you.

• Like 1

If you don't find something to your liking......then join the chess club.biggrin.png

I heard that in some of these places there is always a queen who moves in every direction and goes all ways.

Think we can call this a stalemate. It`s all total crap and for those who suggest that if I don`t like it here and should go back to where I came from, no, I`m staying just to spite you.

i like you dude - let's go a-huntin! how about we go search these 'hidden' places and report back???

i like you dude - let's go a-huntin! how about we go search these 'hidden' places and report back???

Yes, I would enjoy meeting a group of us for a fun night out. But it would be the blind leading the blind.

Okay:

Santitham - This area used to be synonymous with a local low-end brothel scene, but it currently seems well on its way to become the next Nimmanhaemin. The obvious brothels are pretty much gone, but there are now plenty pub-restaurants where there are many friendly staff and many beer chicks employed by the various brewery companies. Good times.

Low-end bamboo & christmas light style 'karaokes' : (the ones referred to as being 'everywhere') : Indeed these are along all roads out of town and along the ring roads. There;s a bit of a cluster on the Middle Ring in between the river and Big C. But the real concentration close to town is along Wiang Ping road; this is the road that goes pretty much from nowhere to nowhere, here: http://g.co/maps/9qqnq (If you take the directions shown then you will pass a market area (Kad Gom) and then you need to keep going straight, across some small bridges and past a big Bodhi tree. Then where the road goes up you're at Wiang Ping. You could go either left or right. (More places on the right)

Added benefit of going to Wiang Ping: you will never refer to Loi Kroh as 'dirty, seedy and squalid' again, as these terms will now be redefined in your mind. wink.png

"Singalong Restaurants" : Again mostly on main roads out of town, especially Mae Rim road; these may be going out of fashion; not sure.

High-end karaokes / "Japanese" karaokes (though probably more Thai folks go) : Chang Klan road has a bunch. Chiang Mai Land has a bunch. Be very careful that you understand prices, and watch expenses like a hawk. I wouldn't take newbie tourists here for fear they run up a ginormous bill.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

But the real concentration close to town is along Wiang Ping road; this is the road that goes pretty much from nowhere to nowhere, here: http://g.co/maps/9qqnq

Added benefit of going to Wiang Ping: you will never refer to Loi Kroh as 'dirty, seedy and squalid' again, as these terms will now be redefined in your mind. wink.png

Yup, that's one I was referring to. Must be 25 or more little 'karaoke" joints along both sides. Friday or Saturday night lots of young attractive girls. No 35-40 y/o women like on Loy Kroh. Drinks are cheap. Lots of loud music (beware). Plenty of old farangs there with young girls. In fact, some older farangs actually live in squalid little shacks along the road!

I have passed these little drinking stalls on my travels. I think the name of the road is actually Wiang Ping Tudmai Road. As said; there are lots of these little drive by drinking places around.

If these are the highlights of Chiang Mai`s social and club scene I don`t think anyone is going to be impressed. Fine if you enjoy getting pissed on Thai cheap gut rot alcohol.

Anyway, thanks for the report winnie, I may have a look in if I`m passing those places.

Okay:

Low-end bamboo & christmas light style 'karaokes' : (the ones referred to as being 'everywhere') : Indeed these are along all roads out of town and along the ring roads. There;s a bit of a cluster on the Middle Ring in between the river and Big C. But the real concentration close to town is along Wiang Ping road; this is the road that goes pretty much from nowhere to nowhere, here: http://g.co/maps/9qqnq (If you take the directions shown then you will pass a market area (Kad Gom) and then you need to keep going straight, across some small bridges and past a big Bodhi tree. Then where the road goes up you're at Wiang Ping. You could go either left or right. (More places on the right)

Yup, that is the neighbourhood that I live in... and love it. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in those Wiang Ping road Kareoke bars. It's only the late night sounds coming from the bars that is a bit anoying. It competes with all the dogs barking and roosters crowing.

Be VERY careful about going in ANY kareoke bar on Chang Klan road. I've heard some terrible stories of outrageous over charging... and a group of thugs trying to enforce it.

Yup, that is the neighbourhood that I live in... and love it.

I'm shocked! You are joking are you not IanForbes??? I mean seriously, some of the old farangs I see living in those shacks along the road look as though they could easily be getting by on 7-10K per month. Most of those places don't even have doors, let alone locks on them.

I'm shocked! You are joking are you not IanForbes??? I mean seriously, some of the old farangs I see living in those shacks along the road look as though they could easily be getting by on 7-10K per month. Most of those places don't even have doors, let alone locks on them.

So only down-and-outters live there and yet at neighborhood it's the venue of choice for ThaiVisa's most hip, happening, and trendy?

So only down-and-outters live there and yet at neighborhood it's the venue of choice for ThaiVisa's most hip, happening, and trendy?

I never said IanForbes was a down-and-outter.

I think he stays at a hotel / apartment with a longer term deal. Not one of those ultra cheap house-shacks off the road. Keep in mind he spends a good part of the year in North America, fishing and stuff. So then when you return in November you don't want to have to clean out a meter of mud and muck from your house.

Probably beats living in the Thapae / Moon Muang / Loi Kroh area in terms of sanity. (Both the Sripingmuang / Hai Ya side and the Talad Gom / Suriyawong Rd side are very nice areas I think.)

Just when driving along Wiang Ping itself at night you get motorcycles flying at you from all directions. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai