Ubc

midas

I have just returned from overseas so i have only just noticed - UBC have confirmed that after considering the issue of commercials on UBC for a long time the MCOT has just released the final approval to allow them to be seen by subscribers! As the commercials were not originally produced by UBC they don't need to block them out any longer !! :o

Isn`t this great news ??!!!!!!! It means no longer having to dive for the mute button

each time there is a break on CNN or BBC because of the extremely annoying and very loud music when the commercials are shown but I interpret it also as a

willingness by the Thai government to finally face up to the realities of the commercial world and give up their feeble attempt on what has been this little bit of protectionism by trying to block out inteernational tv advertising. It has been disappointing to not be able to see some of these international commercials on CNN or BBC because some of them are well made and even quite entertaining.

Does anyone have any other views ?

I always thought it ironic that UBC was forced to block the advertising on CNN. Whenever I have had the chance to view CNN-International with commercials, it seemed at times like 50% of the advertising was for THAI Airways. :o

I thought the whole point of cable/satelite/pay tv was that since we were paying for it they didn't need to annoy us with commercials.  :o

(how old am I??!!)

Who is they? All UBC does for the majority of the channels it provides is re-transmit signals that come from elsewhere through their system. I'm paying to see all of CNN, not merely selected parts of CNN. Why should it up to UBC to edit (censor) certain parts of these channels? UBC didn't delete advertising for the Thai commercial channels. I can see how UBC wouldn't be allowed to tack advertising onto their own channels such as UBC-Series, the UBC sports channels, etc. as these channels do not exist as entities outside the UBC system.

Does this mean that subscription rates shall be reduced now? :o

UBC claimed in the past that their rates were higher than cable operators in neighbouring countries, because UBC was forced to pay more for broadcast rights by networks whose commercials were blocked in Thailand.