Hp Laptop Screen Not Working

Digitalbanana

The wife's HP Pavilion 6000 laptop screen stopped displaying anything of use recently but when I plug in an external LCD through the RGB port it displays there.

Two questions:

1/ If the external display works, what is wrong with laptop? Presume the graphics card is ok and just needs a new LCD fitted?

2/ When using the external display it just shows the Windows 7 wallpaper without the Start Menu bar, as if its a 2nd screen. How can I get external to be main screen with a dead main screen at the moment?

Thanks from my wife for any advice!

There is usually a Function Key that will toggle between the internal

and external screen. (Fn + F4 possibly)

Have you tried that?

Check with your local HP service centre about the price of a new screen, probably 4-6000baht and decide if it is worthwhile,

or if a new PC is the order of the day.

Ok, so just a new screen should be cheaper than a new PC, it's been running smoothly otherwise.

Yes already tried F4 and it turns the external screen on/off but external screen only shows wallpaper and no Windows 7 Start menu bar or any way to start the programs? Presume it treats external as screen number 2 but one can only swap screen numbers (external screen to 1=main) through existing main screen I think - which is broken?

It may be that the display image is not being scaled to the external monitor ..... see if you can move the mouse past the 'physical' edges of the screen and get the desktop to pan.

Can you actually see the mouse pointer on the external screen ? If not then make some wide sweeping left-right movements as the external monitor may be acting as an extension to the inbuilt display. Can also try right-clicking on the desktop (if you can see the mouse) as this may give access to the display properties menu.

One reason for the main display 'failing' could be that the ribbon cable attaching it to the motherboard has become unseated. You should be able to find some disassembly instructions for the model online which will allow you to open things up and give it a check.

Saw an Hp with a sim problem. The external display has modes to select - you want to select the monitor mode the other is extension mode. In the monitor mode setup the number 2 display to match the monitor in use there. In the monitor mode everything will be there other wise you may see the backgrond only in an extension mode but you can drag an application to it from the other main display as your mouse will travel between the screens.

If I recall in the monitor mode the mouse is seen on both screens at the same time and place it is just an image of the main display. Hers did not go out totally it was jumping around and the task bar would not show at times but on the ext. in the right mode it was a fine desktop display.

2/ When using the external display it just shows the Windows 7 wallpaper without the Start Menu bar, as if its a 2nd screen. How can I get external to be main screen with a dead main screen at the moment?

Adjust your display properties. Windows 7 should detect multiple displays, thus giving you the option to show the (full) desktop on either monitor. On the other hand, a driver issue could also prevent your external monitor from being used as the primary display. If all else fails, update the drivers for your graphic card.

Edited by Supernova

Ok thanks guys... I think it will be easier to get it to a shop and get the laptop screen physically checked or swapped out as I haven't got time. Could be a driver issue as Supernova said as well, as I cannot see the mouse sweep onto working external screen at all. So cannot control the PC.

Thanks for all the advise.