recharge freon?

something like that?

i know this is thailand

but i recall at my old place

they did have the units serviced

thanks

PS filter(s) need to be cleaned too?

Edited by deejah

What kind of unit is it? A Trane or Mitsubishi or something?

There are a few things you can do.

A big help is too open the inside unit and clean the filters. They are usually just plastic mesh screens. Take these out, rinse with water and a little soap. Let them dry.

Get your vacuum and suck out all the dust in the cooling element/vanes. DO NOT touch the vanes with the vacuum because you will bend them.

Insert the filter screens.

If you can get to the compressor unit mounted outside, what you can do is get a water gun (one of those pump action ones) from Songkran and just spray it down on the heat exchanger. You will be amazed at how much crap and dirt comes out. Dirt does not help. Switch off the main breaker FIRST. Let it dry for an hour or 2. Switch back on.

If that does not help, it could be the pressure of the cooling fluid is too low or that the inline filter of the fluid is clogged.

Can you post a picture of your set up?

My recommendations against your questions

1. Don't the units need to be checked and serviced?

Yes, absolutely.

2. Fairly regularly?

At least once a year for regularly used ones. Have the inside unit power washed. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt and mold that will be washed out. And that dirt and mold build up prevents the air from flowing at proper cooling rate and maybe be the cause of your problem.

NOTE: The people that do this will "bag" it in such a way as to prevent water from splashing all over and/or dripping down the wall. They also insure the drain pipe for condensation is cleaned also.

3. Recharge freon? Something like that?

As part of the service, they should check pressures and refill as necessary. They will also, while the cover is off the outside unit, check that it is working correctly and clean out any dirt, leaves, bugs, etc.

4. Filter(s) need to be cleaned too?

Yes. My units have a red light that comes on every 100 hours of operation to remind me to look at them and clean as required. They are pretty thin and flimsy, large holes, do not trap much. But they do get dirty and will impede the flow.

5. I know this is thailand.....

has nothing to do with Thailand....it is probably just your landlord either does not realize he risks his own property wearing out too soon or just does not want to spend the money. But I would suggest it is well worth the money for you to have it done yourself (about 400 to 500 baht/unit in Chiangmai). You will then have better air conditioning and you could always ask him to refund the fee. Even if he doesn't, I bet you will be happier.

NOTE: adding refrigerant is an extra charge, but required to keep from burning out the compressor.

EvilDrSomkid

Just saw your reply (posted while composing mine). I agree with your recommendations, for the most part, but would suggest that in this case (where it has been years since any cleaning has been done) that the pressure wash of the inside unit and checking refrigerant levels of the compressor outside is well worth the expense to have an experienced air conditioner repairman do it.