Pattaya , Renew Drivers License

JimmyTheMook

Renewal of 5 year license about a month ago. Purposely went a few weeks after my birthday to get close to 6 year validity on my new licenses.

Since renewing both motorcycle and car, I brought these licenses along with two copies each of:

Main page passport.

Visa page passport.

Last entry stamp and TM card.

Residence certificate.

Medical certificate (have heard varying comments about needing a med cert, but they guy downstairs took it out of my stack and told me it wasn't needed).

Arrived around 1:15 pm, signed in downstairs to get my documents checked. Was sent up stairs with paperwork.

Waited for 10-15 minutes, then a few of us were called upon to do the vision and reaction tests.

Watched the 1 hour movie. Paid my fee.

Waited about 20 minutes for picture to be taken, then received my licenses a few minutes later.

All in all it took a bit over two hours.

[..]

Medical certificate (have heard varying comments about needing a med cert, but they guy downstairs took it out of my stack and told me it wasn't needed).

[..]

I can confirm the same experience when I renewed my 5 years DL about a year ago. Seems medical certificate is no longer asked.

[..]

[..]

I can confirm the same experience when I renewed my 5 years DL about a year ago. Seems medical certificate is no longer asked.

Yeah, last time one was required for me was the first time I applied, never needed one since.

I will be renewing a 5 year DL and a motorcycle license.

So a resident certificate from immigration is needed , correct ?

Along with the photocopies of pertinent passport pages .

Anyone remember the costs ?

Price for motorcycle and car 1060 baht, and yes a residence certificate is always needed, one year or five year renewal.

Renewal of 5 year license about a month ago. Purposely went a few weeks after my birthday to get close to 6 year validity on my new licenses.

I was not aware of this little trick when I renewed, My wife and I renewed on the same day, she got six years, I got five years, all to do with the birthdate. Still not exactly sure how or why though, anyone know?

I will be renewing a 5 year DL and a motorcycle license.

So a resident certificate from immigration is needed , correct ?

Along with the photocopies of pertinent passport pages .

Anyone remember the costs ?

If you have a work permit then do you need residence cert? I don't think you do, can't really remember.

Just curious why you were going for a 6 year validity status. Is that a milestone of some sort?

Wouldn't call it a milestone, guess I'll answer your question with another question:

If you have the choice to renew every 5th or every 6th year, what would you do?

I'm just putting this tidbit out there for those who didn't already know.

I was not aware of this little trick when I renewed, My wife and I renewed on the same day, she got six years, I got five years, all to do with the birthdate. Still not exactly sure how or why though, anyone know?

The trick to get the 6 year validity, is to renew after the license has expired.

The 5 year license expires on your birthday.

You must have gone to renew before your birthday but after your wife's.

So hers was expired but not yours.