Bribery And Corruption

Robby nz

Read on here all about how bad the police are for accepting what some choose to call 'tea money' but unlike theft which can be carried out by an individual it take at least 2 to commit bribery.

As I have no need to drive in this country I am unlikely to ever get stopped by the police and the only time this has happened was when on the back of a motorcy.

We were both wearing helmets and the driver was licenced as was the machine, he looked at the licences and waved us on.

Was wondering if those who have paid the cops offered to pay or were asked?

Also who is the worst the one who offers the bribe or the one who accepts, or are they both equally at fault?

You are in a taxi on your way to the airport to get your plane out of the country.

2 BIB's pull the taxi over and tell you to pay 200Baht for not wear seat belt in taxi, as taxi has got seat belt in front seat.

You say not pay and then you have to go to Police stn to pay and miss your plane or do you pay the 200B and get to catch your flight.

I leave the answer to you. :blink:

You are in a taxi on your way to the airport to get your plane out of the country.

2 BIB's pull the taxi over and tell you to pay 200Baht for not wear seat belt in taxi, as taxi has got seat belt in front seat.

You say not pay and then you have to go to Police stn to pay and miss your plane or do you pay the 200B and get to catch your flight.

I leave the answer to you. :blink:

I always wear my seat belt , so no problem for me.

Honestly, I actually quite like it the way it is. Imagine driving around on a motorbike in Canada with no helmet, no ID, no nothing? If the cops pulled you over, they'd impound your bike, take you to jail, probably suspend your license, and it'd take a good 3 months and $2000 to get the mess sorted out.

In Thailand? They whisk the 200 baht out of your hand in no time flat, and send you on your way with a pleasant smile. It's great! :)

I agree. Most so-called "corruption" that affects people on a day to day basis does so in their favor: they have the option of buying themselves out of all kinds of trouble if they want to. If they don't want to, they can always go to the police station, go to court, go to jail....personally, I like having that as an option.

What in Thailand! oh my God no, say it isn't so :blink: in Thailand it is very unusual, and not the excepted way to exchange money over the table, widely used way is to pass it under the table, with both parties grinning with a wink in their eye.:jap:

Edited by PingManDan